Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 point links

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-07          73321

I have a BX1500 (and love it BTW), but I've noticed the lower links on the 3-point are very low to the ground. To attach most implements, I have to lift the 3-point nearly 3/4 of the way up just to reach the pins. That leaves only 1/4 of the travel for lift. I was wondering if anyone makes shorter vertical connecting rods (that go from the lifting arms down to the lower links) to replace the factory stock units. I suppose I could cut and re-weld a pair, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Can anyone think of a reason why shorter rods would not be a doable idea?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 point links

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-07          73323

The BX series is a sub-compact.
I remember Mark H. talking about a website that sells implements for the sub-compacts.
I would be afraid to start cutting and changing things around on the 3ph as this could change where the stress points are could cause some damage to your tractor. ....

3 point links

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-07          73325

You are better off getting the smaller cat 1, cat 0 frame equipment and not worry about it. The other alternative is to relocate the pins on the equipment. To change the geometry of the linkages could be disapointing. The manufacturers of attachments are building better three point stuff everyday. With JD and Massey jumping in and selling them now to that should give them even more desire to build these attachments. ....

3 point links

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-07          73328

If the rock shaft arms are splined they can be repositioned. The ones on my Ford are and the link arms tips will go quite a bit below ground level. Repositioning them would reduce how much float the 3ph can have. Implements may pull off the ground when cresting hills or going over dips. I wouldn't change it unless there's a problem with the hitch not raising high enough. ....

3 point links

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-07          73332

The problem you will likely discover is that the total travel of the lift arms are physically limited to nearly what the factory gives you.

If you re-position the rock arms to start their travel higher up in the arc, then they will also end farther up in the arc, probably not until AFTER they hit the body panel behind the seat.

I have seen lift arms which were sort of boomerang-shaped (curving upwards) which allowed the hitch point to start and end at the proper height for a Cat. 1 implement but I don't know if they were custom-made or stock units.

As Art mentioned it is probably easier in the long run to just acquire small Cat. 1 or regular Cat. 0 implements.

Best of luck. ....

3 point links

View my Photos
8NFord

2004-01-07          73334

I'm using a full size box blade off of my Ford on my BX1500 with no problems. I did have to shorten the top link by 2", however.
JD ....

3 point links

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-07          73335

I think Murf is spot-on in his assessment about hitting the seat or body panels with a change in geometry.

There are two issues I found with the BX hitch.

1) The pivot points for the lift arms are closer to the ground than taller machines like a B7500 or a 4110, but only by an inch or two. Your BX 1500 would be even a bit lower.

2) The lift arms are shorter. I have the measurements in the archives somewhere, but it seems to me that my BX arms were 4 inches shorter than the arms on my 4100.

I believe that these two factors working together limit the hitch travel.

There isn't much you can do about #1

On #2, if you devised longer lift arms you are extending the leverage exerted by a heavy 3 point implement out to the point where it could rock the front end off the ground.

Your Bx1500 has the shortest wheelbase I've seen on a sub-cut. Any change to its leverage/balance fore and aft would have profound effects on handling and safety.

3 point links

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-01-07          73336

Does anyone know the name of the vendor (mentioned earlier) that sells implements specifically for subcompacts? I know I can get them through my Kubota dealer, but I would rather not pay a Kubota price. ....

3 point links

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-07          73337

8Nford: I think Jarndt's problem is most likely with his rear blade. The pins are usually much higher off the ground than a box scraper.

Also, good to hear that I wasn't the only one who found the BX top link too long. ....

3 point links

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-07          73338

To view the pictures of sub-compact implements, go to the link below and when it comes up click on vendors, then click on Taylor-Way then look for "series 100"

The manufacturer can be found at:

Taylor Pittsburgh Manufacturing
7 Rocky Mount Road
Athens TN 37303

423-745-3110

Link:   

Click Here

3 point links

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-08          73418

I can't see that there's a problem unless the hitch runs out of range when starting up a steep hill or when an implement is on a high bump. Top-link bracket height is a part of the CAT I hitch standard and CAT I implements are built with corresponding top-link mount heights. CAT I implements used with CAT I hitches should produce the best geometry.

Poor geometry may result in appreciable changes in tilt as an implement follows the ground contour. That may not be critical for many implements but may be undesirable for scrapers and blades. Shortening the top-link for tractors that have short lower-links shouldn't affect the geometry much. ....

3 point links

View my Photos
beagle

2004-01-08          73487

King Kutter has a line of implements called the BX series that are set up perfectly for the Cat0/Cat1 three points. This series is not on their website, but a brochure is available at TSC. TSC can order them for you. About the same price as the standard sized implements. They are not as deep as the standard implements and fit really well on the shorter tractors. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login