Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO questions

View my Photos
tamanaco
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-04          73057

OK Guys, Got a BX 1800 unit, the little brother of the BX 22, it has no tach, but I did install a tiny tach unit for engine RPM's. It max's out at 3400 RPM's. My question is at what RPM is the PTO running at 540? I'm looking at making a rear winch want to determine the pull rate. Question #2. What should be the minimum PTO drive shaft length? Lets say u jiont to u joint. Question #3 what is the maximum angle a PTO shaft can operate at 540 RPM's.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO questions

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-04          73062

Your owners manual should specify what RPM's equal 540 on the PTO. If memory serves, my BX22 needed something like 3168 engine rpm's to turn 540 on the rear pto.

I don't know what the maximum drive shaft angles can be but I do know that it should be as straight as you can make it and that both "knuckles" should have the same angles.

The length can only be determined by having some room to expand or contract no matter what the drive angle.

That's not too clear, is it? But the dinner bell just went off so it will have to do for now. ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-04          73065

Your manual may say how to do it, but here's what I do. You want the PTO shaft to have a minimum of 6" overlap at full extension (implement as far down as it will go) and you don't want it to bind at full compression (implement raised as far as it will go). The trick is to cut equal lengths off of each shaft when shortening rather than to cut all the length off of one shaft. This will keep your U-joint angles equal. There is no one length - it depends on how tall the implement is and how far back the PTO attachment point is relative to the 3ph. ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-05          73083

My pto shafts have a spec for max angles. I can't find the manual right now and I don't know if all shafts have the same specs.

Irrespective of specs, the straighter the better. This fall after mounting the blower the tractor was idling so I decided to be lazy and run the pto while spraying on chain lub. I heard a bit of thumping that went away when I lowered the hitch. The thumping isn't there at higher rpm's but it still tells me that I shouldn't be running around with the lift at max.

A dealer likely could say what the pto rpm is for the tractor. In absence of a pro rpm spec, one for rated engine speed should be pretty close. There doesn't seem to be anything in the Kubota site about engine characteristics, which is too bad. There is a statement 'contact Kubota for more info' and they probably deserve to do some CS works since they seem to be silent about their engine specs. There's nothing magic about pto rpm and a winch gear box should be pretty tolerant to differences from 540 input.

PTO questions

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-05          73089

According to the TractorSmart web page on BX, 540 RPM's on the PTO is equal to 3068 Engine RPM's. ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-05          73163

That's a good reply. I've got to remember the TractorSmart site. ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-06          73220

3068 is the right number. I must be catching something from Chief. ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-06          73224

You rang??????? ;o) Yes indeed tractorsmart says 3068 rpm. John Deere specs. the 2210 at 3,000 rpm so that would sound about right in comparison. That is a lot of rpm! Kubota has that BX wound up tighter than Dick's Headband! ;o) They can take......I believe Yanmar and Kubota run their generator engines at 3,400 rpm and the live for 1,000s of hours. ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-06          73232

A good answer from a guy named Murphy....

Go figure......

I'll bet he's handsome too ..... ROFLMAO

Best of luck. ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
murphyg

2004-01-06          73235

I learned this stuff from you guys. Murf, Mark, Art and Chief. Thanks,

Greg ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-06          73237

Aw, shucks, 'twernt nothin ........ ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-06          73239

You're readin' my mind murf! ;o) ....

PTO questions

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-06          73245

It's all the time I spent at Cherry Point, North Carolina, you start to sound like Sheriff Andy Mayberry after a while, LOL. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login