Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Haatsie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-19          71733

I have a B7100 that I use for general farm chores including munure spreading. (very important!) It has started to give me trouble starting. First it was just some mornings we would have to jump it and then it would be okay for a few days. That got steadly worse till now it won't start at all without a jump. We got a new battery, didn't help. tried charging the battery at night....no difference. This is getting old fast!
Let me also say, I am not at all experenced in mechanical repairs but my dad is pretty good; he,however,doesn't know how to use the computer. If anyone has any ideas of what to try next please let me know. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
BARNEE
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-19          71737

Have you checked your battery cables and connections?? This is an older tractor & it may be time for new cables. Is the tractor making any different sounds when you try to start it that may indicate it's a starter/ relay problem. Once started, does it run OK? ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-19          71739

Assuming you have double checked batter connections at the battery and starter. How long are you applying glow plugs prior to start attempt? Not sure if your B7100 has the compression release or not but if it does using it also helps. I had one on my L245. Have you or anyone else been using ether to aid cold starts with this tractor in the past? ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-19          71743

The last B-7100 was built four years ago and there have been some great ideas covered as to the solution of your problem. Are the glow plugs working properly? What happens when you crank on the starter, does it only roll over a couple of times or will turn over a lot but won't start? ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Haatsie

2003-12-20          71784

We have replaced the cables and checked connections.It doesn't sound any different when it is running, once it's started it runs fine. Most times,though, if you turn it off you have to jump it to start it agian. We usually let the glow plug warm up quite a bit. I have one kid driving it who grew up on a dairy farm and has alot of experence. He tends to give the glow plug less time then those of us who are new to tractors but his results are the same as the rest of us. It's all very confusing because it's different all the time. Yesterday it jumped fine but each time we used it we had to jump it. Today it wouldn't jump off the car but we hitched it to a battery charger, gave it 45 minutes and it not only started but continued to start all day. A few days ago we charged it all night and it was dead as a doornail in the AM. Some times when you try to start it it turns over a few times and then quites, other times it just coughs a few times and then just gives up the ghost. We have even put a new battery in it. ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-20          71786

Haatsie;
Just because a battery is new does not mean that is it good. There are a few junkers that make it through QC. If the battery is going down it is likely that you have 1) a short in the plates in the battery or 2) a short in the tractor electrical system.
A diesel requires some large CCA so if the battery has a weak spot it will find it.
In battery testing we would simulate a hard start to find weak batteries.
Peters ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Haatsie

2003-12-20          71791

Peters, what is "CCA"?
This was a problem before the new battery, the battery was bought as a poternial solution for the problem. That being said, I think I will take the battery over for testing this week coming up; ya never know. ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-20          71792

You might check how much battery backdrain there is. With the tractor switch off, disconnect the ground cable and connect an ammeter between the post and cable. Some brakdrain is normal and I've head 50ma is normal and maybe even some higher, but mine is around 10ma. A shorted alternator rectifier can drag down a battery in a hurry. If there is appreciable backdrain, it's good practice to remove one fuse at a time from and check if the drain stops. That will check for shorts in the accessory circuits. The drain won't stop on most systems if the alternator/regulator have a problem even with the key off and all accessory circuit fuses removed. Testing battery capacity with a hydrometer after charging it is good. ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
BARNEE

2003-12-20          71804

Haatsie:

Did it work OK after you replaced the battery & then started acting up again or did the new battery not really change how it's acting? As the others have mentioned it sounds like it may be the battery or something draining it. Does the log meter still work OK when it runs (i.e. still runs up the hrs. as the tractor operates)? ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-20          71806

CCA is cold cranking amps. If you have a bad ground then the system can act like you said. As you have replaced the cables I am assuming this is not the problem.
If there is a problem with the starter then it can take out the battery in a hurry, but if it is cranking normally when jumped then it should be OK.
If the system will not crank with the jumpers on it then the battery is dead flat. Charging the battery will bring it up some but it will drain quickly again. When running it is continually charging and will normally restart the tractor. ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Jeannot

2003-12-21          71810

Hi
I have the same trouble on my Kubota 7950 dt. Battery connection cable is good, I think the trouble is in electric system between contact switch and starter solenoid. Question: Where can I find electric diagram or plan of this tractor?

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
imtools

2003-12-21          71812

I don't know how old a 7950 is but I was able to get the owner's manual and factory parts manual for my 25 year old B7100 on eBay. I was also able to get many new parts thru the local dealer for same tractor. ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-21          71822

Depending on the age of the B-7100 I'd also try removing the starter and have them test it. The batteries we sell for tractors have a higher CCA then we sell for the auto's. When using Glow plugs they can take the battery down fast. From what you have said your problem lies between those two items. To use your jumper cables to go directly to the starter does it crank better? ....

Kubota B7100 troubles

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-22          71911

I had the same problem on my old B-7200. After doing some checking, there is a main wire harness and the plastic connector had gotten hot and two of the wire burned and fused together and then burnt up the voltage regulator. I had to cut the two wires out of the harness and wire them outside the harness then put a new voltage regulator which was a pain to replace. I believe the two wires fused together were draining the battery. I too bought a new battery which last a day or two. After the repair it starts great even when left outside at below freezing temps.
I got the parts manual for free from Tractorsmart at the link below. They sent me a link where they had it in PDF format. Just e-mail them what type of tractor you have and request the manual. ....

Link:   tractorsmart

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login