Go Bottom Go Bottom

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-17          71511

Well that lasted quick! My newley purchased 1997 b2400(500hrs) has developed a nasty vibration and noise in the drive train somewhere. Hydro fluid up to par and clean, no noticeable leaks. Unit does not want to move without major pressure on pedal. Still under warranty. I had been out moving a little snow with FEL only used about 1/2 hour. After letting rest for an hour or so condition remained the same.
Anyone else had this trouble?
Dedeye

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-17          71513

When was the last time the hydro filters, oil,& suction screen was changed? Might be that simple with luck. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-17          71514

Check that the brakes have not frozen on. With the cold the brakes being on could cause all the problems described.
If there is ice in the brake release etc. it can easily happen. Back to you dedeye. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-17          71517

As luck would have it this occured within 10 feet of my garage. With a little push with my plow truck the tractor was resting comfortably in a tropical environment inside the garage.
I let it sit in front of the furnace for about an hour and thaw but this seemed to fix nothing. It acted like the brakes were stuck but it was almost 50 degrees today and raining. The thing will vibrate you almost off the seat with the slightest touch of the pedal. The sound reminds me of an older international hydro tractor I had when you applied the go pedal with the brake on but the vibration associated with the noise is much worse than one would expect to experience without even moving the tractor.
My fear is that if this is a mechanical problem as opposed to something as simple as a frozen break this may not be discovered untill after my 30 warranty has expired( 12/22)
I put in a call to the shop but don't want to look like an idiot when the guy gets here and hits the break with a hammer and fixes it! I would rather look like an idiot on this board! We're all friends here anyway!
Thanks for the help. I will leave it in tonight and try it in the morning...... ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-17          71518

Chief
According to the salesman the fluids were all changed at 500 hrs. The tractor now has 530 hrs on it. 15 of them are mine! After thinking a little bit about what has been mentioned in another post the difference between the power of my old international vs. the power of this tractor are like night and day therefore the symptoms most likely would be more severe with this unit. Make any sense? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-17          71521

Eric had a good point about the brakes. Double check those as well. Trust me, you won't be the only one who has inadvertently left the brakes on or had the brakes stick. ;-) The loud noise and vibration is indicative of stuck brakes or possibly air in the system. Have yout tried jacking the rear wheels of the tractor up on jack stands and trying the hydro? Might give you a better indication of eliminating the brakes as a problem. If you let the tractor thaw out, that should have eliminated the possibility of water contamination freezing. Might not hurt to try and let some oil out of the sump plug if you can without taking a bath in it to see what comes out. Should be nice clean oil. Sounds like you have had the tractor for about 30 hours? Is the tractor under some kind of warranty? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-17          71531

Have you tried moving the tractor in both two and four wheel drive? Have you tried changing the ranges and feeling for a difference? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-18          71550

Art
I tried 2x4,4x4,High range, Low range with same results.
I am now convinced that something internal has headed west!
It may have a discombobulated scanitctadoink or something!

The durability of this make of tractor has become almost legandary in these parts but I am begining to think that no manufacturer has the right to make a toughness claim of their product untill I have used it for ten minutes without a failure!
Service guy from dealership coming after it today. Thank goodness for warranty!
I will let you know what broke as soon as I find out.
Thanks for input guys.
Dan

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-18          71559

Dan, don't go to far yet, things happen. There has to be a reason and chances are it might be simple but with what you have done to test different areas I do believe it is time to have the mechanics work on it. This is where it comes in handy having a close dealer to work with. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-18          71571

I think Eric pegged it, a fairly new machine which sat for a while waiting to go to a new home is the perfect candidate for a bad case of 'stickumus brakes'...

I'd get right to the source and be sure that there is no play in the release direction of travel after releasing the pedal, if there is I would suggest moving the mechanism back & forth until the cows come home, it's the best all round solution I've found to get parts to stay free.

Best of luck. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-18          71594

Well I tried it again this morning and it's still doing the same thing. It does not chatter in nuteral with clutch in but does chatter any time clutch is out.seems odd it went all at once. hard to say i guess. The dealer said he would come get it this morning. I called them this afternoon to find out when and apparently they had forgotten me. I bet they won't do that again! I also asked about a loaner tractor as I have contractors here today pouring concrete and needed to backfill the drain around the foundation. My salesman advised me that no loaner was available and that I would need to rent their B2200 for $160.00 for the day. I can not repeat my response to him on this site as it would change the rating! I won't expect a Christmas card from them anytime soon........Or my tractor repaired either.... I really need to do something about my attitude!

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-18          71596

NAW ya just need a longer fuse and peace and sernity. LIKE ME! I have the blod and temper of a Viking and a fuse so short. Spent many hours in therapy so I can be peaceful and full of serenity, I say bless you to all the stupid (scratch that: put in nice) drivers that cut me off etc... (I hope you do not believe too much of that...

Now that I've said that don't go digging in my posts, you will see a rant and a whine or 2.

Now call and apoligize to the nice tractor people and they will come right out and get your tractor and have it fixed before next winter if you are especially nice, oh yea and remorseful.

If it was me reading this I'd be out burning the stupid tractor and looking for the address of the moron that posted this. See there I go again with my temper...

So are they gonna come and get your tractor today or next month? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-18          71607

Lets see a used tractor with a short dealer applied waranty with possible a major repair and a owner that is irrate as they delayed service already, guess?
I am sure they are going to try and recoup all the money they can, but it might be better for them to use the installment plan, if they want to keep their customers.
I am not sure that they could have predicted or tested for this problem and I am sure that they went on percentages when they applied the waranty.
Maybe we jinxed the system as there were some comments on fewer posts of major trouble for Kubotas on another thread.
Might be time to work a real deal (ie steal) on a new tractor.

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-18          71622

This situation just continues to get better and better.
The shop sent a guy to pick up the tractor this afternoon.
He backed up to the garage door with a roll back, tipped the body up and drove the tractor up onto it shaking his brains out all the way! It became instantly apparent that this was not the first occasion that his brains had been shaken! For fear of causing unessasary damage I pulled the tractor into the garage with my pick up and this guy just rams her into gear and gave it to her all the way up the truck body. I would have thought using the winch located in the front of the body would have been the way to load it.
After his 30 second 30 foot trip he proclaimed that their was infact something drasticly wrong with the unit. D A H !

He thinks I'm the idiot because of my uncontrollable laughter spell......agh! He did'nt realize that laughing is how I keep from blowing a gasket! This thing is just a machine and if it werent for the human intervention things would probably go a lot better sometimes.
I didn't realize when I started this thread that it was going to become a novel........

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-18          71624

Harvey
You and I related? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-19          71706

Dedeye:
I didn't see anywhere in this thread where you gave your awesome dealer free advertising (doesn't matter whether good or bad). It's always nice to give dealer's their propper due.
I didn't want to spend the extra dollars for a new one but was afraid of going with used because of this situation. I figured with a new one at least I had a little more leverage. I hope the dealer comes around and does what is right.
Good luck ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-19          71709

New vs used. Two of the dealers I went to, I did to look at a used tractor they had and both were immediately talking about the downsides of purchasing a used and getting no Warranty for a price that was not that much less then going new. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-19          71720

Kubotaguy
I have to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt.
They will do the right thing because if they do not they will regret the day I ever walked into the place. I am the most happy go lucky guy in the world untill someone ripps me off then look out I go of like a wild man. I am quite certain that inside of a months time I could cause more trouble for the dealer than 10 of these tractors is worth.
It is in their best interest to go good for this repair and I have no reason at this point to believe that they won't.
Besides it's the season to be jolly right? HO...HO...HO.... ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-19          71728

HO HO HO ain't dat what cha do when the tractors broke N U gotta git the weeds outa da garden?

SORRY Just had to do it! Bad fingers they need peace and serinity... :-))) ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-19          71731

HO.. Ho.. HO is whos gonna weed the garden if the tractor aint back by then!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm bein' bad ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-19          71744

Ho ho Ihope you never have a problem again with your tractor as yo bought one of the best! Merry Ho ho! ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-25          72193

Art
I will let you know in three weeks or so!
That's how long they say it will be before I get it back from the shop.
The service guy says it is something internal.I don't have a fancy plaque on the wall from Kubota and could have told him that. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-25          72195

3 weeks or so!!! Are they going to give you a loaner tractor? 3 weeks is kind of a long time to be without, especially when making payments. At least they could let you have one of their trade-ins to hold you over? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-25          72198

They offered to lend me a loaner for $160.00 per day.
I had a small attitude (lost my Christmas spirit) for a moment or two with my salesman. The worst thing about this whole situation is that I bought the tractor with very little to no interaction from my wife. And now you can imagine the crap I'm hearing from her! The concrete forms for our new house were stripped the day before yesterday and I am out doing the perimeter drain with a shovel! It has been unseasonably warm in central Maine and the opportunity to get this project done is rapidly closing. To attempt this job with a number 2 shovel is ludicris at best but appears to be my only option at this point!I have a buddy (we will see how good) that has offered his bobcat with a backhoe on it but he is out of town for a few days.

I keep telling myself that these are just character building days! Can't get much worse!
On a positive note santa was good to me thyough so things are looking up.

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-25          72199

Cheif
I bought this tractor used. Is there a way for me to find out who the previous owner was. The dealership seems a little hesitant to devulge that information. I suspect that it is because this problem is a reocurance of an old problem.. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-25          72202

If they are playing that ball game; you can cut straight to the chase and asked the dealer to sign put you in touch with the previous owner or sign a written statement that the tractor has had no history of repairs or chronic problems. I would suggest that you tell them that you are already paying them for a tractor that is inoperative and you have no intention of paying for another. If you just purchased the tractor, I think the least the dealer can do is provide you with a FREE loaner until they fix yours. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-25          72222

They haven't said as much yet but I have the feeling that depending on the cost of the repair they are going to "remind" me that the parts failure occured on my 31st day of ownership and that the warranty only covers 30 days.
If that scenario goes that way I may have to take it next door to the ford dealer and trade it! ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-25          72223

Before I took it to a Ford/New Holland dealer, I think I would take it to the guys with green paint and see what they have to offer. Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Be patient, your dealer may get it fixed and cover the cost yet. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-26          72283

I'd say that is a week to get it in and apart, a week for parts,and a week to put it together. That gives them more then enough time to do the job properly. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2003-12-27          72346

I called the salesman yesterday and explained to him that $160.00 a day to rent was unexceptable and that I needed a tractor,bobcat or something to backfill my foundation and he gave me a B21 to use for the weekend free! That jesture went along way toward restoring my faith in that company.
Instantly I notice that the operating pedal pushes much easier than on my tractor. My rig will give you a cramp in your calf if you go backwards more than ten feet!
As far as the three weeks to fix mine he says the service manager likes to give people the worst case scenario so they don't start bugging him after a couple days. Happy Days Are Here Again! ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-27          72349

Plese be careful with that loaner as I know we have not found a company to write our insureance policy that is reasonably priced that would cover a loaner. They will cover a rental, but not anything on loan. The fellow you are working with does seem to be coming thru for you, I wish your luck to run this good the rest of the way. You might want to make mention to the service manager about the petal difference on the hydro. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-27          72383

That is great news! Sounds like the dealer is doing his best to treat you right. Hopefully is will all shake out in the wash. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-01-16          74123

Chief
I don't know how well the dealer has come around.
They still have my tractor. The good news is I still have theirs! It seems to be a fair trade, My 2400 for their backhoe equiped 2200. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-01-31          75632

Well I got my tractor back today...
With a new transmition. I am still suffering from the shock of writting out a check for $1,553.58 for my half of the repairs. OUCH! Then to make matters worse they bent the crap out of the 3 pt hitch towing it to my house. It's not been a good week. After my grandmothers funeral yesterday some family members came to see the foundation that sits patiently waiting for its new house and BAM! The damn thing breaks in two different places. I am about at the end of my rope with this planet. I hope they find life on mars. My wife would like me to take my tractor their and do some grading! (She blames me for the four feet of frost we have). I keep telling her it's just character building time. This can't continue much longer............ I hope ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-31          75634

Man, that sucks. If I were you I'd be looking for a new dealer. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-01-31          75635

If this crap keeps up the dealer I am going to be looking for won't be selling tractors! ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-02-01          75638

deadeye,
Am I missing something?

You said the dealer picked the tractor up on December 18, and in your first post that the 30 day warrantee ran out on December 22.

Seems to me the dealer should eat the cost, not your fault if he didn't get to work on it until the warrantee 'expired'

With all the rain and snowmelt in December, followed by extended sub-zero periods in January, almost any unheated concrete foundation will crack, unless your'e very lucky and build on a gravel pit. I have had real good luck with thick-edge slabs with 2" X 2' rigid insulation laid around the perimeter outside the concrete. Unless near a river, most of the soil here doesn't drain very well, by the end of winter my plowed driveway is usually 12"-18" above the snow-covered ground. A friend said the frost went down 7' last winter in some areas in Central Maine. I would bet even deeper this year with no snow cover and biting winds.

Best Luck,
bliz ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-01          75639

Dedeye
Do you need a couple of carpenter's?
Lajoie bros. in Augusta can fix that foundation.
What town are you in? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-02-01          75658

Grinder
You must be in central maine.
I live in Pittston.
My construction loan was approved on sept. 22.
I hired My concrete contractor on that day. He told me he would pour the following monday. He didn't pour untill Dec.22. Of course I paid him cash! I called John Lajoie. He said he wouldn't be able to get to it for at least a month. In retrospect I should have waited untill spring.

Blizzard.
The warranty on this thing was 50-50.
The funny thing about that is the dealer gets to charge me the parts mark up, whatever labor they want, and how am I to know if indeed this was even the problem.
They in turn can write off the their portion of the bill as half. Live and learn. But I can tell you one thing it getting pretty old constantly stuffing 10 pounds of Kah Kah in a five pound bag. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-01          75661

Sorry you're having that sort of time. Seems like most people are feeling that the larger world offers little to an individual except being perpetually jerked around. You're not alone, and it's getting worse. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-02-01          75662

Did they at least tell you HOW or WHY it failed?
I guess there's some lessons here about buying used, especially if there is no 'history' for the machine.
That 50/50 warrentee given on used vehicles sucks, should be 100% for 30 days at least,
Generally the Kubota HST is bulletproof, but filters and fluid must be changed per maint.schedule. I just did the 300 hour maint on the machine I bought in August, runs like a Swiss watch.
Sure hope your luck turns, but I hope you don't have any bets on the Patriots for today's game!
bliz ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-02-01          75663

TomG
Thank you.
And everyone else on this board for your input.
It's nice to know there is a place to go when things are going good and bad where the people are always good. Frustration is not nearly as bad when you can share it with freiends!!!!! ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-02-01          75666

Blizzard
Not a word! They sent me an invoice three pages long but it is not itemised untill you get to the rags,detergents,and shop fees.

Of course I have bets on the patriots!
This is my chance at total redemtion for an already crappy year.
I tried to bet the family farm but after a quick appraisal decided ten bucks would be to much to gamble with.

I have to start saving for future repairs! ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-02-01          75668

Don't know who you're dealing with but sounds like Jeff Skilling and Bernie Ebbers could be on the payroll.

What warrantee did you get on the new(?) transmission?

Go Pats! ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-02-01          75670

Union Farm Equipment.
I have no idea about what if any warrantee came with the new trans.

I think the salesman got into trouble giving me the "demo" tractor for a month. I sent him several emails during the process and he never responded. I get the feeling he wishes this whole mess would just go away.
Nice guy but I got the impression his hands were tied.

I am seriously considering trading this unit in for a larger tractor but one factor preventing it is again my wife. The Mars trip she is planning for me is becoming a more dominant topic of discussion at the dinner table!

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-02-01          75677

I can understand you being ticked but, let's try to see the "positives"

Hopefully your tractor is still a good value even with the additional 1500 dollars that must be added to the purchase price. You now have a "new" transmission which should last years and these are usually reliable tractors. With any luck (you're ovedue it seems) only good days are ahead for you and the tractor!

We've all been caught in these sort of things...live and learn. Oh, and try not to get arrested when we react while getting screwed! Although it doesn't really sound like they worked you over, they did stick to the deal. The only thing I don't like is paying 1/2 of a price they determine, although isn't 3 K about what these trannies run?

I can recall the blood-boiling feeling that I have had in similar situations, not good. Those times when you're figuring out what will cost less the repair or bail money :) :) You should have seen me when the roofing guy didn't return my calls after my new roof leaked several months into it's life. I freaked out and let a few more not so nice messages. Turns out the guy was really on vacation...oops, upon return he came right over and fixed a minor problem ;) ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-01          75679

Dedeye
Concrete gets paid for when the forms come DOWN! I learned
this lesson the hard way too! Cost me an extra 6 weeks at
the in-laws, = to one tranny. Those guys are the worst.
Is he going to fix it? you have remedy's. No contract on jobs over 1400.00 in Maine is an automatic 1000.00 fine.
run that by him if he does not want to help you. Those cracks
can be pumped full of sealant by lajoie,450.00 per crack.
Good luck, I am surprised you are having trouble with Union
Farm?? I have always heard good things about them. Call the
owner and send him a copy of this thread!

I'm not too far away, just north of Augusta. Do you still
have your builder? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-02-01          75682

Deadeye,hang in there and wait for the really bad stuff that lies ahead,[joke,kinda]. No that jap tractors problems should be now solved,and hopefully it will be a long while before another 3,000 dollar repair bill will have to be footed,they all break,thing of it is,we don't know when. Richard ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-02-02          75792

Well The saga continues.
I was driving my little orange bundle of joy down a slight grade to my pond and low and behold the $#&*(&% Piece of &$#)% popped out of gear! Thinking it may not have been all the way in I put it in gear again and went about 20 feet and it popped out again.

The service guy is coming to look at it in the morning...
As far as the concrete goes, If I don't take a bulldozer to it I will repair or replace it in the spring. ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-03          75823

This is only a test!
Talk to R.S.Osgood Dixfield Me.
second opinion ? ....

Blown drivetrain

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-02-03          75892

Dedeye,you can buy a brand new jinma 25 h.p.4wd with front loader for about 10,000 dollars,comes with 6 months parts and labor,tested and ready to go. Of course they break too,but you might be money ahead,and its new. Richard ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login