Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
peterR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-15          71191

My 723 loader has a bucket cylinder leak at 45 hours,is that normal? Dealer who sold it is 130 miles away and service is so-so. I would like it fixed but don't want to ship whole tractor. Is it easy to take off cylinder myself and bring to a dealer for fix or replacement

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-15          71199

Contact your dealer and notify him of the problem. Ask if he would be agreeable to removing the cylinder to bring in. If so, it is not very difficult to remove the cylinder. You DO need to be aware of some serious safety concerns when doing this though. I would suggest wearing eye protection to prevent the off hand chance of any hyd. being sprayed into your face. Ask me how I know? First make sure the tractor is PROPER PARKED & Braked. Lower bucket to the ground and and work the FEL control stick with the tractor engine OFF to releave any pressure in the system and any unreleased movement of linkages. BE AWARE and do NOT place your hands, arms, etc between any linkages, etc. that could be pinched or crushed if the FEL settles. Use 2 wrenches to break the hyd. hose fittings on the cylinder you want to remove. SLOWLY break the threaded fittings so as to observe and be aware of any movement of the FEL due to the released pressure in the hose. If you properly exercised all quadrants of the FEL joy stick earlier, there should be none. If you don't have a helper to hold & catch the cylinder, sometimes a few bungee cords will hold it in place when the pins are removed. Remove hose fitting, bolts & cylinder pins. Then remove the cylinder. If you have any plastic Caplugs available use them or at least zip tie or rubber band plastic baggies or some other type of protection over the exposed hyd. line fittings to prevent any dirt/contamination. Take the cylinder to the dealer. He may replace or rebuild the cylinder and should be able to do it while you wait PROVIDED you have called ahead and coordinated it. On some of the bigger cylinders like the John Deere 690 and 510 Backhoe it would take me not more than about an hour to install a rebuild kit in a cylinder provided no other damage was present. Don't forget to buy some hyd. fluid while you are there to top off what is lost during the cylinder replacement. Reverse the steps of installation on your tractor and SLOWLY exercise the new or rebuilt cylinder to purge the air from it. Recheck your hyd. fittings to make sure they are not leaking. DO NOT over tighten them, you can damage or crack them and then you will have to replace the hose or the fitting. Usually as a rule 1/3 wrench arc after fitting starts to snug up. Just be sure to tighten them up snug and enough not to leak but don't over do it. You gave me the impression you have not done this before otherwise, please excuse the TMI post. ;-) ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
peterR

2003-12-15          71200

Thanks Chief, your right I have not done this before. I thought fluids would pour out of fittings.Will call dealer and bring it in myself. Thanks again for how-to info. ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-15          71201

There will be a certain (not large) amount of fluid that will leak out of the lines when you break them. You may want to put some newspapers or catch pans down. I also should have mentioned that if you can saftely do so, to retract the cylinder to make handling easier and minimize chances of damaging the cylinder piston chrome plateing. Glad to help. More than welcome. Have fun and be careful! ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-15          71235

Good job Chief! ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-15          71237

Coach Chief, that has a nice ring to it......

Are you SURE you weren't an officer......

Oh no, wait a minute, your instructions were clear and made sense ... you WERE an NCO....... ROFLMAO...

Good job Randy....

Best of luck. ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-15          71243

Murf, actually I had the best of both worlds. I was a Chief Warrant Officer. The commisioned types didn't know what to do with us and the enlisted guys loved us. I have taken my share of hyd. oil showers in the learning process. ;-) ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-16          71298

I found that the easiest way for me to get them back on is to use a drift to line up the holes. The pins on my loader have square ends. Supporting the cylinder while trying to line up the holes and start the pin wasn't working very well. It was an upper arm pin and the bucket was still attached but blocked.

None of my drifts were right but a 3pn pin worked OK. Put the 3ph pin in from one side to line it up, start the loader pin from the other and push out 3ph pin. Whallah and there it was. Good thing too it was cold, starting to get dark and my frustration level was climbing. ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-16          71331

I'm with you on that one Tom, there's only one thing worse than working on a stubborn item in the cold, and that's having to do it in the DARK.....

BTW, I've discovered over the years that a length of rope or a ratchet binder strap can be invaluable for holding things in place doing this kind of work, kind of like an extra set of hands.

Best of luck. ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-16          71334

peterR, I got to thinkin' about this and should have asked if you have tried asking the dealer if he would swap out cylinders one for one and UPS you a new cyliner? Sure would save you a LOT of driving. My John Deere dealer UPS's me stuff all the time. It is an hour drive to the dealer and not really worth it unless I am picking up alot of stuff. ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-17          71431

Probably not an issue here but I know that couriers won't ship oil, or batteries for that matter. A cranky shipping clerk might extend the oil idea to used cylinders. It might be good to prepare a story about how the cylinder was purged and placed in leak proof wrapping should the need arise.

Regarding aligning things: I have a large bottle jack that is useful for making small precise movements since it only moves a little with each stroke. It usually works for this sort of thing. In the case of the loader pin, the block shifted or something and put the loops out of alignment in two and probably three dimensions. I just couldn't find a spot on the bottom of the bucket where simple lift would bring it into alignment enough to start the pins and I didn't have enough hands to manage the pin as well as lever things around. Fortunately I didn't fool around too long since I knew that drifts are really good for this kind of thing. However, the frustration then becomes never having the right drift when you need one and it was luck that I tried 3ph pins. ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
peterR

2003-12-17          71433

Chief, local dealer is taking care of it.They ordered a rebuild kit. The dealer I bought my Kubota will not return phone calls until I called Kubota. HE was not happy. Once he got the money service went downhill ....

Bucket cylinder leaking

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-17          71440

I think that's a useful approach if a dealer is balky but it probably does lead toward eventual divorce.

I called the NH N.A. CS number once--not because I was unhappy with my dealer service. I had a tech question and just thought the dealer wouldn't have an answer and I could sort it out as well as they could. The CS people said call yor dealer. I wasn't thrilled to run around in loops but I called, and within a day or so I had my answer. I was happy enough and forgot about it. A month later I got a call from the CS people wondering if I was happy with my dealer's response. 'Sure was' I said. The follow up call surprised me and I guess that's the way all manufacturer CS works. If dealers didn't screen the questions, hiring enough CS operators. probably would cure unemployment. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login