Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota L3430 Snowblower and other uses

View my Photos
Russ40
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-29          69929

I'm considering buying a hst L3430 with Loader and backhoe. What other options/items should I consider and what would be a good price? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-29          69932

Tires will make a difference and would you need an extra valve? Any extra lites?

View my Photos
Russ40

2003-11-29          69933

I was thinking R4. I will be bush hogging arond 10 acres and snow blowing about 1/2 mile. Removing stumps. Clearing some woods. I can't think of any use for extra lights. I have 50 acres all types of terain and some wet areas. ....

View my Photos
Russ40

2003-11-29          69934

I don't know about an extra valve. Whats your advice? ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-29          69935

Russ, I would spend the extra money on the 723 loader. Its extra lift and breakout power is worth the $. I noticed a Rhino loader on a new 3130 at a local dealer and the metal is only about half as thick as either Kubota loader offered. Also I really like the skid steer type quick attach option. You can drop the bucket and attach pallet forks (or whatever) in seconds. My personal transmission preference is the shuttle shift for simplicity. For loader work momentum into the material is more important than variable gear ratios. If you lose momentum, you'll spin no matter how much you reduce the gear ratio. And the savings over the HST should easily pay for the bigger loader and quick attach. Have fun planning! Dave ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-29          69936

what size and type of buckets do you want the round back on the front or economy? 18" on the backhoe? The hydro will work good on finished turf when you are done with the major work and won't even dig a hole for you nor mark up your lawn if wet. ....

View my Photos
Russ40

2003-11-29          69938

around a 6' loader round back and a 16" backhoe. I don't think I will need to take the bucket off much. I get a lot of snow and will want the bucket on with a rear blower also on. Most other attachments I think I would use on the back. Should I consider turf tires instead of R4 or will I regret that when I'm bush hogging? Shortmagnum I'll think about the shuttle shift. ....

View my Photos
Russ40

2003-11-29          69941

Don't stop now guys I'm just starting to get educated. All the questions and options put me back into search mode. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-11-29          69948

Russ-

You need the lights. Here is Wisconsin it is dark early in the evening and late in the morning in the winter, so most snow-blowing is before/after work therefore in the dark. Just added a couple of lights to my 2230. Should soon have pics for the website. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-30          69964

A 1/2-mile is further than many people want to do with a 3ph blower. I'm not sure what I'd do if I had that distance because I sure don't want to give up my loader or have to switch back and forth. It might be OK though and maybe there's an after-market seat that swivels, which might help.

At least with HST you'll be able to match the ground speed to the highest that's comfortable to drive in reverse. I can't do that and the range I use at PTO rpm gives me 2-mph. The next range gives me 4.3 mph, which takes more concentration than I'm usually willing to maintain. It'd take a 1/2-hour minimum for me to do two passes on your drive so time might start being an issue. I would go a little faster most times if I could and If I were driving forwards I'd be happy going quite a bit faster.

If time is an issue you might think about the blower width and the HP it'd take for one that's wide enough to do the drive in two passes.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-11-30          69967

Russ40,

I posted this in another thread and I think it applies to your case as well. Also the wider you get the blower the slower you will have to go because the snow is coming out the same chute. I think you will be one unhappy camper with a rear blower unless you have a compelling reason to use the loader for other work like clearing stalls....etc.. If that's the case you'll just have to suffer the neck pain.

1) drive lengths:
-under 200 rear blower front loader excellent choice
-up to 400 rear blower front loader moderately uncomfortatble
-up to 600 may still use rear but must have compelling use for loader

2) parking areas:
-under 50 x 50 rear blower OK
-over 50x 50 Front blower better

3) slopes under 5% rear over 5% front

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-30          69969

Russ, where I live in NY we have average snowfalls often exceeding 150 to 180 inches a year. The snow here does blow a lot and I've found that a loader leaves higher banks to clear. With a blower I don't have the banks which means I don't have to have bigger equipment come in in the month of February to move the snow back further to give me more room for more snowfalls. The driveway is always neater as the squared banks normally never get over a couple of foot deep and I don't have big banks on the end of the driveway to look around when entering the street. I'm going to try a blade with the end plates to quicken the gathering of the near daily snow falls and then blowing the piles away. When the blower has not had a good cutting edge to cut down to the blacktop it has been handy to have the loader bucket to scrape it with. By having a good cutting edge on the blower I've normally been able to handle the job with that. I had a manual crank three point this past year and I still have a crink in my neck from constantly turning around to see where I'm at, the tractor I used did have a shuttle but not independent PTO so it meant having to shuttle at higher rpm's then I liked so I had problems with keeping the spout clear. When doing this if I was using a hydro I could have eased into the banks and neatly blown them away. I would recommend a hydraulic rotation on the three point blower you do use if that is your choice and if you are in crowded areas you might want to have a powered deflector. You should also add the extra valve to your tractor to run the rotation. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2003-11-30          69974

Russ,
I agree with Shortmagnum in recommending the 723 loader.
I'd also recommend the HD bucket with replacable cutting edge if you use the loader a lot. If you have wet areas you might look into R-1 tires. Mine work great for me.
The HST is just SUPER! I find it very helpful hauling logs, loading/excavating and rescuing myself from those 'puckered-up' situations.
Extra lighting is always handy, and doesn't have to be expensive if you are a DIY person.
I plan on using a 3PH blower for my 1600' drive and 50x125 work area, can't risk the lower clearance and lack of FEL. If need be I will lay in a supply of ibuprofen and suffer the muscle soreness.
Try out the tractors you are interested in, and maybe some comparable models from other mfgs, a lot less expensive to find a bad feature in a demo than when breaking in your new toy.
bliz ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2003-11-30          70002

Blizzard, nice pictures. It looks like you actually use your machine with the paint worn off the bucket and everything. :-)

I suppose I should just admit that after a few hours of experience an operator with the hydro tranny can probaby do more than with the shuttle shift. Maybe I'm just starting to think old and set in my ways. A few weeks ago I was walking around in the barn with baggy pants, clearing my throat constantly and muttering to myself. I was my old man reincarnated! Oh well, I suppose there are worse people to emulate. :-)
Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login