Go Bottom Go Bottom

Will a BX23 Fit In My 5x8 Trailer

View my Photos
Hog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-28          69815

Hi, all-

I'm looking to pick up a BX23 tomorrow.

I have a 5' x 8' utility trailer with sides that I would like to haul the tractor (I'M BUYING A TRACTOR!!!!!!! I'M GETTING A BACKHOE!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!).

According to my dealer the tractor, with loader and backhoe, will weigh less than 3,000 lbs, which puts it within the trailer's weight range.

And according to Kubota's website, the tractor is only 48" wide (at the bucket?) which is well within the 5' width of my trailer.

The length, however, may be my downfall. According to the Kubota website, the tractor's length is 92.1"/173". I'm not sure how to read this, but after looking at the specs for the BX2200, I see it has a length of 92" and I am assuming the BX23 itself is only 92" long with the loader/backhoe making up the difference. If this is true, could I get my tractor to fit in my trailer by letting the loader stick out the front of the trailer, while letting the backhoe stick out the back of the trailer?

I could rest the loader on the front wall of the trailer...

If this is a dumbhead idea, I'll rent a trailer, but it would be really nice to be able to move my tractor in my utility trailer, so I can haul it to my mom's house from time to time to help her out.

Hog

PS- Happy Thanksgiving!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-28          69820

Go buy yourself a trailer!Your new tractor won't look so good upsidedown in a ditch. 3000 lbs on a 5x8? one axle, no brakes?
Been there done that.
I trailer thousands of miles a year. Get one that will handle the unexpected. Keep the weight on the rear axle
of the tow vehical. I back my 7500 kubota onto mine.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-28          69826

6x12's work well with the big rubber. It will give you a little room from front to rear to balance it. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-28          69832

My tractor with loader and an implement would go around 4,000 lbs--got to figure fuel and any ballast as well. I decided against trying to trailer it with my highway 1/2 even for short flat distances. I might consider it if I had a tow package or 4wd with its lower gearing as well as a tandem axle trailer with brakes on both axles. Still with that weight there's a good chance that the trailer could out-muscle most any 1/2-ton if the trailer wheels loose traction during emergency maneuvering. Around here Transport makes you pay for any guard rails taken out etc. I drive tractor 10 miles along highway shoulders to our camp when I have to.

You really need a trailer long enough to adjust the tongue weight by moving the tractor and also long enough to sit the loader and hoe bucket on the deck. Hoes especially can break things if they aren't sat down due to high load shocks at highway speeds. Hoe buckets regularly drag when going up or down ramps. Be careful because you can break a hoe pretty easily when the boom is locked. Sound like you're real happy about the tractor and I hope the Board will be helpful to you. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-28          69844

You are going to need an absolute minimum of 14 feet of trailer bed to transport a BX23. The problem is that 14 foot trailers are more expensive than a 16 foot because they are a non-standard size

The 8 foot trailer will not work except to transport a completely stripped tractor, but then you are leaving 1100 pounds of FEL and backhoe behind.

I strongly suggest you get a 16 foot trailer with separate, solid, heavy duty ramps. The extra little bit of room will allow you to jockey the tractor back and forth to fine tune the tongue weight on the towing vehicle. The separate stowable ramps are stronger, cheaper and provide better mileage when compared to a folding ramp.

You will need a set of brakes on the trailer as the total load of tractor (2500 + #'s) and trailer (1700 +/- #'s) will be nudging into the 5K range.

That might give you a clue also that a 7000 GVW trailer is better than a 5000 GVW for your needs also. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-28          69845

Hog, just noticed where you are from.

I bought my BX22 in California and the dealer advised me that CHP will issue tickets if the backhoe bucket is not secured to the deck. It is a three strap operation when towing a TLB in California.

If they see the B/H hanging off the rear end........ well, you get the drift. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-28          69846

Sounds a little risky. Don't know how easy his is but the only safe way might be to remove the FEL and Hoe and have the dealer put them in the bed of 1 HD pick-up and then put ONLY the now smaller and lighter tractor on the trailer.

Where there's a will there's a way :)

Can you borrow a trailer? Be creative, many trailers will work safely. Even a big stock type horse trailer is ok but you may have to extend the hoe a little so it's not so high. ....

View my Photos
jimbrown

2003-11-28          69862

My BX 22 will not fit on my 6x12 with the backhoe on it. It will fit with out the backhoe. ....

View my Photos
Hog

2003-11-29          69906

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

When I originally posted, what little common sense I have was telling me NOT to do it. The excitable kid in me, however, was convinced that it was a perfect fit and would fit snug as a hat in a box and look pretty neat besides.

The early reponses to my post allowed my common sense to override the excitable kid and I left the trailer at home.

I figured if necessary I could rent one somewhere near the dealer.

As it was, when I asked the salesman how much they charge for delivery, he gave me a funny look and said, "It's free."

At any rate, the tractor hasn't even been prepped (hours read 0.3 so it must be fresh out of the oven?) and their service department was closed today.

They'll bring it out on Monday!!!

Oddly, my wife was more excited after we signed the papers than I was. She said, "Now we can do all that landscaping we've been talking about."

Looks like we'll be fighting over who gets to play on the tractor...

We've been discussing various projects and I think we're going to keep "Orange Julius" pretty busy.

One thing I did today that might have been a mistake, and I'd like some advice: I purchased a 48" Gearmore rotary mower for $850(!).

This seemed like a good idea at the time as I don't want to fool around anymore with this "project" of buying equipment. I have too many real projects I need to get started on.

Did I get skinned? And is Gearmore a good brand? I asked if he had Kubota mowers and he said they are more expensive and would have to be special ordered. They supposedly order the Gearmores "by the truckload" and can therefore offer a good deal on them. Maybe I should call Monday and cancel the rotary mower?

Hog ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-29          69926

Gearmore sort of high-grades the tractor market, getting the best they can find in any particular category and then has the item re-labeled with the Gearmore name.

All that to say this.... it's some of the best stuff you will be able to lay your hands on....

In terms of prices, sometimes Gearmore is the deal of the century and sometimes not.

I haven't comparison shopped for mowers and I am making the assumption here that you are speaking of a mowing deck for your three point hitch. I would say that any decent quality, three point implement with moving or spinning parts for $850 (delivered) is probably an ok deal.

I just got a three point hydraulic log splitter for $750 and a three point PTO driven generator (with a new drive shaft) for $1800

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-29          69930

I agree with Mark on the trailer and personally would go 18' if you can find one for a reasonable price. Some other issues you need to consider is the weight rating of the trailer hitch and ball. Verify your weights and give yourself PLENTY of fudge factor with respect to the rated strength of the hitch AND ball. You can save yourself some money by verifying the reciever height of your tow vehicle FIRST and purchasing a hitch which has the appropriate amount of drop or adjustable hitch. I personally use a Putnam 10' adjustable hitch rated at 10,000 lbs. The heaviest rated 2" ball I could find was the Putnam 8,000 lb. ball with the 1 1/4" shank. Consider a battery powered break away kit for the trailer.....VERY cheap insurance. Make sure you have 3/8" min. safety chains each individually welded or bolted to the tongue frame of the trailer. If you ever do decide to tow this tractor....make SURE you veryify with your insurance company that it is covered if you don't already have insurance on it with your purchase loan. Make sure you calculate the amount of tie downs you need to restrain the tractor in the event of a sudden stop. MV=E A tractor in motion can exert well in excess of double its own weight in a sudden stop. If the delivery is free and this is its home probably none of the above is necessary. Congratulations on a VERY nice tractor! ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-11-29          69947

I've hauled mine (BX2230 + FEL)around several times with my 18' car hauler. It would never work in a smaller trailer. My trailer is rated for 8000# with tandem axles both with brakes. I'm a bit of a heavy duty nut so I wouldn't think of anything smaller for a 2000# + tractor. My motto is take the weight of your load and double it for the needed trailer.

BTW towing duties go to a 94 Cummins Dodge 2500 4x4. I don't care what anyone says, any 1/2 ton pick-up is nothing more than a full-sized car with a big open trunk. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Burger

2004-05-09          85581

Bad Towing Experience.
Towing a Skid steer loader on a tandem axle trailer behind a chevy suburban. Got going to fast down the hill and she started to whip. The only reason I am sitting here is the Suburban is a full sized rig, loaded with tools, and would NOT let that trailer drag her sideways. had I been in a pickup with a lite tail end, I woulda been doomed.
Thankfully all I needed was a clean pair of shorts. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login