Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
dwnestr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-14          68751

Hello all!
I'm interested in the BX22-23 TBL unit. My main use would be digging test holes with the backhoe. Alot of the terrain would be wooded and the ability to get around trees and some ground clearance is required. The Kioti CK20 seemed ok but the sub frame sticks out the back and would get hung up I believe. Has anyone used their BX22 in the woods without too many problems? The B21 would be nice but I would prefer a smaller machine for transport and $s.
Thanks, Mark

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-14          68756

Mark, we do a lot of perc. tests too, but I found it was far easier to do the test hole using a post-hole auger.

We use a 12" bit and an extension shaft on an hydraulic auger mounted on the loader boom. This is important since it gives you tremendous down-pressure and the ability to reverse the bit if need be.

Best of luck. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
dwnestr

2003-11-16          68894

Thanks Murf, Do you have that auger on the Bx22 and how do find the tractor gets around ok over rough terrain? There's an add for a new BX22 in NY for $14,999. I'm a 28 year veteran of test hole digging with a hand shovel. It's a big jump for me to go from $14.99 (shovel) to $14,999 but the back almost requires it soon. Thanks for the help.

Mark ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-16          68902

Good point Murf, You can get down to 36" minimum with the BX. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-17          68943

I think the idea of most anybody having a need and getting a tractor is a good idea. For this application, I wonder if a standalone gas engine PHA and an ATV to get it around the woods might do the job. It might be good if there were additional needs to keep a tractor busy, and if distances are involved a tractor doesn't cover much ground in a day. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-17          68958

Mark, I think you are on the right track. Test holes would be much faster with a backhoe. Dragging a post-hole digger through the bushes sounds like a hassle to me.

I had a BX22 for a year or so. One of the complaints I had was the small tires forced me to drive very slowly in rough/rocky areas due to quite a bit of side to side pitching.

If you can live with that, it is one tough little machine that will amaze you with it's backhoe prowess.

They do sit very close to the ground and there are some features, such as the driveshaft mounted HST cooling fan, that could get tangled up in the brush.

You should lay underneath one and see what you think. Another BX issue to consider would be the limited tire options. There are two choices and both are basically turfs with thin sidewalls and tread sections.

A B7500 or a JD 4110 can be equipped with a backhoe and much larger, studier R-4 tires(I am sure there is a Blue tractor too). The price goes up $2000-$3000 over a BX but it may well be worth it if the areas you work in are fraught with stumps and pointy objects.

Moving up to a B7500 or a Deere 4110 will not change the portability, as all the machine weights are nearly identical and all would require a 16 foot trailer when equipped with a backhoe.

Let me know if I can help you through this process. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-17          68959

Mark, we don't have any BX's, our machines are all in the 40hp class and up, mostly L4310's.

As Tom mentioned though, you might want to consider a stand alone unit, trailer mounted and pulled by an ATV or the like. A local fence contractor has a boom-type auger where the engine drives a flexible drive shaft, the whole unit is mounted in the back of a JD Gator. I'm sure it was a pricey setup.

A tractor is an expensive way to make holes unles you have some other use for it as well. You may wish to consider some 40hp Utility class 2WD farm tractor, say the size of a Ford 3600. These have decent sized tires, 16" in front and 24" in the rear. They will get around pretty good.

With a little fiddling around to put on & take off an extension, even a BX will drill a 6' deep hole.

Best of luck. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-11-17          68974

You need to check with the various communities if you have not already as to how they conduct their perc test.

The health department where I live mandates that you use a backhoe, dig a six or seven foot deep trench, and then they stand in the pit on the hoe and take samples of the dirt at different levels for evaluation. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-18          68997

Few good points here and yep if hoes or I guess shovels are required for testing then PHA's of any kind are non-starters. Guess it does depend on where you have to go. Around here the bush is such that you can't walk through it let alone get any vehicle including ATV's through without a trail. I hadn't thought about it but most test holes probably would be on cleared land if they're for residential septic systems so maybe access isn't much of an issue.

Our bush has been alive with consultants the last few years drilling test holes for landfill studies and a graphite mine. I'm not sure what they're using but probably drilling rigs that take core samples but that's different than the septic system buz. The hole locations likely are as much determined by where they can get the rigs to as anything. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-18          69000

I have a customer that owns some woods that are not swampy and he goes all thru them with a BX22 with turfs. The farmer who owns the land next to him has used the woods for his stone pile for probably a century and he goes over with the tlb and digs stones for his landscape projects. I've seen where he's been because I'm his safety net and after he's found some of these rocks I've had to go get them for him. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-18          69002

If the task is dedicated to digging holes in the brush between trees. Maybe there is other equipment that is more suit able than a BX22.

I friend of mine has a stump grinding business and uses a Ramrod as he can get in tight locations. A Dingo is the Toro equivalent.

There are a full set of implements available for these including a bucket. ....

Link:   RamRod

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-18          69003

Knowing those machines I'd rather be on a BX with the Ag tire design or close. The worst thing I could see is being near a tree tring to dig through it's root system with to small of a unit. Yes I have had to cut roots and do it the hard way before but time is money and if your out there trying to make a dollar I want to go in get the work done and head to the next job. If I have the time then let's talk! With the snowmobile club we often are making trails thru woods and digging out stumps so the groomers can get thru easily. It is different but yet some is the same as we often end up with big holes from the Maples. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
dwnestr

2003-11-18          69046

Thanks for the input on this Bx22 thing. You guys are sounding what I'm thinking. This Bx 22 CAN dig a hole better than my shovel can. It can get around but has limits and It's a tough machine. The expense doesn't bother me because it's a business use. I just don't want to have too much machine to drag around the country side as I can put on 100 miles in a day between jobs easy. There is always the shovel if the site is not accessable. I like the backhoe set up on this machine verses the others with subframes that take all the ground clearence away.
I think I got my $19.98 back on this subject, and any other thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-18          69048

I am pretty sure that my Deere 4115 with the sub-frame on still has more ground clearance than a BX22.... I should measure.

Anyway, that sub-frame is a prefect place to "armor" the underside of a tractor for really tough going. Some 1/4 inch plate, some bolts and a hand drill and you would have a tough, well protected underside. ....

BX22-23 in the woods

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-18          69058

If the area could use a post hole auger there would be no reason that one couldn't be added onto the loader boom and run from a pto operated pump. The BX would have a good advantage working on a woods floor as it wouldn't tend to break through. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login