Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota BX2230 vs B7510 Traction -- Tractor Pull

View my Photos
chuckles
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-07          68195

One of the things I have to have is Traction on steep grades in snow and in ice when I buy a new Kubota compact tractor for $15,000 + bucks.

I am still struggling between the Kubota BX2230 sub compact tractor and the Kubota B7510 compact Tractor, and I have the following question a Dealer like Art White may be able to answer:

If I took a Kubota BX2230 and chained it back to back to a Kubota B7510 on dry pavement, no weights added, which tractor would out pull the other?

They both weigh the same, my guess would be that the B7510 might pull one or two BX's! What do you think?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-07          68197

Not exactly an answer, but 'dry pavenent' is not 'steep grades' or 'snow and ice'. Tire diameter/style, weight distribution and ground clearance will be major factors in your enjoyment of winter tractoring.
bliz ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-07          68198

Chuckles, it might depend on who's on the tractor seat! Good question and I would say the B-7510 from the tires advatage. I bet in the right conditions I can get places with the BX the competition can't get and you can't get with the B-7510. They are two different tractors and they are both good. The BX22 package is a sucess story for Kubota and it makes a small estate owner a great unit that is nearly as manuverable as his garden tractor but can do many of the jobs that a contractor would be hired for. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-07          68205

A BX with turfs gets absolutely amazing traction.

I think that even to be in the same traction class for your tractor pull the B7500 would have to have turfs and a HST. and then I still think the BX would win based on greater horsepower and 12 inches of rubber on the ground.

One possible advantage the 7500 has as a snow pusher is the potential to set it up with studded radial snow tires. It is hard to get very creative with BX tires.

View my Photos
buzst1

2003-11-07          68211

chuckles,
While the 7500 may not quite pull two bx's, it will take two bx's to pull the 7500. Thats not a knock on the bx, but only that they are really two quite different machines. the bx will get into smaller spaces, but the 7500 with its larger engine,tires, and gearing will outpull the bx.
As for your orginal question about traction in ice and snow the 7500 with filled turfs will provide much better traction, just due to the weight of the larger filled tire. The increased ground clearence will provide the ability to drive thru deeper snow without hanging up. ....

View my Photos
chuckles

2003-11-07          68212

My point is that on the BX2230 and the Deere 2210 the tire tread looks like this if the tractor were driving from left to right across this page and would look like this:

BX 2230 Driving Direction ----->
####
####
####
####
####
####
Where as on a Bigger Tire tractor the tread contact would look like:

B7510 Driving Direction ----->
########
########
########

I used the same number of # in each, I think the tread contact area would probably not be equal but higher on the B7510. I think that having more "#" lined up in the direction of travel will give the best performance pushing or pulling tractors of the same weight and size and tire type (turf) as these two tractors are.

I think this is the reason that all Rear Tractor tires are so big, and it is a fundamental reason why the subcompacts will fall a little short on some assignments. Although those might be few.

I know your experience is with the BX22 and I assume you mostly used it as a TLB that puts alot more weight on it as well and is not the set up I am interested in. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-07          68213

you are right the 7510 will have a larger print on the ground. The other side of it is the BX will be pulled up hill to the B-7510's drawbar height. I don't think there are to many other factors to be entered here. ....

View my Photos
chuckles

2003-11-07          68214

Another note and one of the things that got me thinking about this again was I went to a John Deere Dealer last week.

The dealer had a bunch of tractors parked up grass, but on the near side you had to drive up the curb.

Well he drove the tractor down off the curb, and I drove it around a bit and brought it back. Well the sales guy tries to drive the tractor up the curb forwards, then increases the angle, then tries to back over the curb, the tires are slipping and the clearance for the curb is awfully close to bottoming out. No Dice! He has to give up! At the time I thought what is he trying to prove.

I only thought of it today again, that all the other tractors had bigger tires so that had been the sales guys practice -- driving up the curb-- and since the 2210 was new to their lot he was not familiar with the fact it could not do what the other tractors could do on a regular basis. The sales guy eventually drove all the way around to park the 2210 where the other larger machines like the 4110 were. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-07          68216

Actually the tire ratios are the same for the BX and the 7500, just scaled down.

BX fronts are 18" tall and the rears are 26" tall. That is the same ratio for the B7500 with 21" front tires and 30" rears.

Let me pose a different question.

If you rigged up a B7500 with shorter, wider tires would the 7500 with standard height tires out-pull it?

Could it pull two 7500's with shorter, wider tires? ....

View my Photos
chuckles

2003-11-07          68219

Mark,

I was not saying the ratio's are different, and yes that is a good point that they are the same ratio, which I am a little surprised that they are. The tires on the BX are so close to my Wheel horse GT that they make me think the tractor is too small for me.

So if you put the same BX Tires and wheels on the B7510 that you have on the BX, I think there would be a draw with perhaps a tiny tiny advantage to the B7510 if it has some low toque advanatge.

Mark, my understanding is that you:

1)bought a JD 4100
2)Bought a BX22
3) Sold 1 and 2
4) Bought a 4115

I desparately need your help and guidance as I only want to buy ONE TRACTOR. And I need to make up my mind a bit today as I going with a friend of mine to the dealers tomorrow to buy a tractor / shop. I also need some advice from someone who uses these machines for finish mowing and snow removal which are my primary uses, plus a small amount of landscaping core aerating and pulling dead trees. out of my 2 acres of woods.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-07          68220

Helping is what we do here.

I have not mowed with any of my tractors and due to a series of mild winters I have not plowed snow either.

But I have pushed tons of dirt with the snow blade on the BX. I have used it as a bulldozer to cut new roads in raw brushland.

I can tell you that there is a tremendous amount of low end "grunt" with the BX. There is no lack of power or traction with the BX over any other 22 horse 4wd machine.

In fact, because the smaller diameter tires limit the overall ground speed it has a tendency to concentrate the power at lower speeds.

It excels as a finish mower but it would NOT be my first choice for skidding logs out of the woods because of its low profile.

Are you planning on pushing or blowing the snow?

If you plan on frequent changes between FEL and blowers/blades, the small Deere's are much easier and quicker to use. If you are changing seasonally the Kubota system is fine. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-07          68225

Chuckles, for what I've seen of your pictures a BX is all that you need. You are worried about snow, a freind of mine(customer) stacked snow so high with his BX loader the piles were about 10 to 12' tall. He was driving up them! You get a 60" wide deck any way you look at it. The added small size for getting in and around the edges of lawns willmake a BX attractive to. The suspended deck vs a ground engaging to me puts the BX again at a plus. Buy an extra option for the money saved. ....

View my Photos
jpr62902
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-07          68226

I've had my BX22 for two months now and the thing never fails to impress me. Quite frankly, I think it would be hard to find a better value than this class of tractor. The only comparable tractor is the Massey GC2310.

It is so incredibly easy to take the BH and FEL off of the little beast, and for $16,500, I challenge you to find a new TLB with 60" MMM in a comparable price range.

On the other hand, the BX22 is a jack of most trades but a master of none. Either way, it is making my work around the house a whole lot easier. Now if I could just figure out a way to use it to finish my basement ... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login