Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
cwighome
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-23          62539

We are buying a place with 50 acres in western Arkansas. It has a 1/2 mile road to maintain, about 13 acres to keep cut back, and a bunch of projects along a creek and pond that are on the property. I plan on buying a rotary cutter, front end loader, box blade to maintain the road, and other pieces of equipment at the same time.

I like the M4800SU because it is heavier and cheaper than the MX5000DT. The 5000 has four wheel drive.

How much do you really use 4wd? Would you go with the lighter(more expensive) 4WD, or the heavier 2WD?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-23          62541

4WD is indispensible for getting you in and out of hard places, or muddy places, or up and down hills. I can't see why anyone would buy a tractor without it. Heck, i've almost gotten stuck on DRY soil WITH 4WD. 4WD also helps to sell it if you ever need to. From what I've seen a LOT of tractor shoppers dismiss 2WD tractors out of hand - I know I would for my fairly typical needs. ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-23          62544

I guess my question would be how far west in AR. If you are in the hills I would definately consider the 4 wheel drive an essential.
I guess the other question is what tires you are employing if R1 or agricultural then the rear traction is better but you tend to tear up the turf. The other options R4 and turf need the 4 wheel to increase the rubber contact.
The other question is the soil. The clay or in KY definately need the 4 wheel just to get by as it plugs even the R1.
With a loader the weight shifts to the front end therefore without a lot of weight the rear get quite light if the bucket is loaded.

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-23          62545

NO CONTEST............!4X4 is the only way to buy a compact, I'm sure most all the guys on this site will agree. ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
cwighome

2003-08-23          62547

The place we are buying is in the Kiamichi Mountains and is bordered by the Ouchita National Forest on 3 sides. It is very remote. So, getting stuck is not a great thought. The soil is red sandy clay. I plan to use Ag tires.

I hear each of you clearly recommending the 4wd. With that in mind, am I buying too much tractor? There is one spring fed pond on the property, a second spring begging to be ponded, and a number of places along the creek that might find a dam being built.

I plan to keep the front end loader on most of the time, and will use a 6' or 7' medium duty Bush Hog regularly. I would like to use a wider unit, but many of the meadows have fairly limited access. The place is badly overgrown and ice damage from a 2000 winter storm was never dealt with.

So, is this the right size tractor, or could I use something less? ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-23          62549

I am far from the most experienced guy here, but I'll offer up an opinion. The rotary cutter will probably take more hp than anything else you will do. A medium duty 6' rotary cutter takes something like 30 pto hp, and a 7 footer might take as much as 50 pto hp. If you shop for a tractor that will deliver enough pto hp for your desired rotary cutter then your tractor will size itself. It is possible that you will have a lot of heavy work to do initially, and once that is done you will mostly have maintenance work. A smaller tractor can do anything a bigger one does, it just takes longer. So, it may make sense to buy something around the 30 pto hp range. The money you save over the bigger machine could be used to rent one if you ever need to. ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-23          62556

good call kwschumm, I agree totally! ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-24          62574

Larger tractors can waste time when maneuvering is required. They also can't go some places smaller ones can. I would try to get an idea of how much maneuvering is required and if a large tractor can get everywhere it's needed without widening bush roads etc.

Wet ground can be a problem for any tractor. Around here there still are some 'corduroy roads.' People lay cedar logs across wet areas. Geo-textile is a more modern approach. With many wet areas, trying to cure the problem by adding gravel doesn't work. Gravel just keeps sinking into the silt. Most tractors irrespective of tire type or 4wd can get stuck easily enough. You'll want to cure the worst of the wet spots or find alternate routes. For the rest of them, you'll likely want 4wd.

Once with my turfs I wondered why I couldn't back out of the shed. It wasn't in 4wd and the turfs wouldn't go over a 1" ice ridge. Recently I used my loader to push myself out of a shallow compost pit. I was wondering why. After I pushed myself out I discovered I hadn't put it back into 4wd after crossing the lawn. Ags don't buy you much in mud and are worse on ice. Heavy work with a box scraper sops up traction like rotary cutters sop up HP. 4wd drive is good.

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
Billy

2003-08-24          62580

Hey cwighome, are you anywhere near Mena?

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
Peters

2003-08-24          62584

Wet clay can stop anything as your tires plug and spin. I have used the bucket numerous time to free my self.
Definately 4WD I would recommend something like 30-40 PTO. There is very little difference in price between a NH TC-40 and TC-33 I would go to the larger machine. I would think you want a 6ft brush cutter and under 30 is cutting it a little thin. A 7 ft takes more HP. My BH 287 requires 55 HP PTO min. ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
Glenn-D
Posts: 54 Westmont, Illinois, summer home in Mountain Home Ar.

2003-08-28          62848

4X4 for sure. No contest unless your property is flat as a pool table. ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-28          62849

I agree but even if your property is flat the other guys might not be...resale with the 4wd is going to be MUCH easier. I know we all intend to keep the tractor forever but things happen, this way you can always sell, upsize, downsize, whatever.

I stay in 2wd 80-90% of the time but it is REAL nice to just kick that shifter(lightly)into 4wd with my left foot and be unstuck or stop spinning. I am sure on a larger tractor I would do it less often but I am sure it would still get use. Being that I am not a farmer or a multi-tractor owning person, getting stuck in the muddy/snowy muck will be a real^&% pain. Anyplace that gets this tractor stuck will be more than a match for my 4wd pickup. I suppose I could hitch some horses up but they aren't trained to drive.Too bad one good horse could probably give this little tractor a good nudge :)

Sure 4wd's ge stuck but less often.

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-08-29          62865

DEFINETELY 4X4 and diesel. 2 wheel drives and gas engines are things of the past. Why do you think the dealer's lot is always full of 2 wheel drive tractors? Because NOBODY wants them. 2 wheel drive tractors are like the no air conditioning and manual transmissions on cars and trucks. Nobody want them either. ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-29          62881

Go four wheel drive. ....

Kubota 2 WD vs 4 WD

View my Photos
DrMorgan

2003-09-05          63241

My Kubota is 6 wheel drive! If you're in mud, put duals on the back. Mine never gets stuck. Cost me $500. I wish I had duals on the front. Then it would be 8 wheel drive! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login