Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
horsehappy2
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-26          60147

A big California Howdy to all in tractor land.

I have bought two tractors which don't meet my needs. Just trying to get out cheep! Now I want to sell the two and buy something which will do the job. I have acres of trails that need managing and clearing. I have brush to remove and grass to keep cut. I need to maintain my 1 mile gravel driveway and clean out the stable. What size machine do I really need? What is important. I have been told by a friend that Hydrostatic drive is a must. I have rolling hills and steep inclines with rocks. My first two tractors do not do hills well. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Most folks around here have Kubota's so I am guessing that is the way to go. But Kubota has so many different models and sizes. HELP PLEASE!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-26          60149

What kind of tractors did you buy that DIDN't meet your needs. Then we can see what doesn't work and go from there. ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
horsehappy2

2003-07-26          60150

Hi:

I bought an old 30 something JDeer with lots of attachments. But it is only good on the flat.

So I bought a Ford 9N, '49 I think. Not enought power to run the attachments. Too hard to turn around with discs etc. Hard to operate and hard to repair. I am not a mechanic. ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-26          60157

Ok, now we got something to go on. Seems to me you need a tractor in the 30 hp class. 3 good choices to look at would be the 4000 series JDs and the 790 gear tranny JD, the B-7800 Kubota or Grand Ls, or the TC30 in the New Holland line. That should get you started in your search. All will do the job. Your job is to choose a tranmission, Hydrostaic or gear. I assume diesel and 4 wheel drive are your requirements. ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
bvbilski

2003-07-26          60169

Do you think you need a 4 wheel drive? Will you put a loader on or possibly have wet areas you need to work in? ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
horsehappy2

2003-07-27          60196

Yes, I think I need a loader and 4WD. I live just a few miles from Sutter's Mill where gold was first discovered in Coloma. There are mines and tailings all over my property. Even an old stamp mill. I would like to move some of those rocks and make a rock wall. So I do think I need a fairly powerful machine. But I have small narrow areas like around my orchard where I need to mow the grass and disc up the garden. I also plan to install wine grapes. So I will need something to mow the grass down those narrow rows. What kind of mower would work? Thanks everyone for the advice, I sure need it, after messing up twice! ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
horsehappy2

2003-07-27          60198

Yes, I think I need a loader and 4WD. I live just a few miles from Sutter's Mill where gold was first discovered in Coloma. There are mines and tailings all over my property. Even an old stamp mill. I would like to move some of those rocks and make a rock wall. So I do think I need a fairly powerful machine. But I have small narrow areas like around my orchard where I need to mow the grass and disc up the garden. I also plan to install wine grapes. So I will need something to mow the grass down those narrow rows. What kind of mower would work? Thanks everyone for the advice, I sure need it, after messing up twice! ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-27          60207

I have half of what you need and it's for sale just over the hill in Carson City. Kubota BX22. It is 48 inches wide and comes with a loader, backhoe and extra stuff.

Shoot me an e-mail if you are interested. ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
bvbilski

2003-07-27          60249

Do you think that the weight of the machine would be an issue? Is the mowing you will be doing with a 3 point groming mower or mid mount mower? ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
plaindave

2003-08-01          60721

I maintain about a 1/2 mile gravel drive with my 7800 and a box blade. Can't find a thing to complain about the tractor it's done all I've asked of it, but having worked for CAT I know the limits of equipment.

I do like the hydrostatic, particularly when using the loader. Beats the heck out of my the old JD collar shift on my fathers farm. ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-02          60735

The 30 series Deere, what was the rest of the model number. I know you said it was to big,, but that will also let us know how big is to big. How much land will you be maintaining? ....

Kubota What to buy

View my Photos
horsehappy2

2003-08-02          60767

Hi Art:

Not 30 series. Just an old JD built in 1930 something. It is designed for flat work and cannot do hills without a concern for stability. Mostly too hard to operate and such. We have narrow areas like mowing under the orchard trees and scraping horse hockey from the barn. Getting into pastures with narrow gates and such. I was looking at the Kabota BX22 but I'm afraid it is too small for the heavy work of maintaining roads and digging out rocks and stumps. What do you think. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login