Go Bottom Go Bottom

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-15          59565

I have seen a ton of bucket mounted tow hooks, but I humbly think the ones I fabricated look the best. I added a pix (pix #4 when it gets loaded by the webmaster) of the tow hook on the backhoe bucket of which I think is pretty good too. I'm in the process of a welding up a grill guard and armored lights on the ROPs bar. What do you guys think? I think for all the guys that want to add some to their tractor but need some pixtorial ideas, it should give them some ideas and a place to start rather than just welding some hooks on. Check out the MONSTER apple tree stump from the nether regions!!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-15          59571

Nice job. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-16          59584

I have a couple of safety chains that might work well with those tow hooks. They are about 8' long. One end has a grab hook with a bale so a link can't fall out of the hook if the chain goes slack. The other end has a ring that probably would go in the tow hook.

I use them quite a bit. With regular grab hooks, loads shift and chain slacks--even when load binders are used. I rig a chain for dragging something and get back on the tractor to take out the slack and the link has fallen out. However, my chains are mostly intended as safety chains for trailers.

I'm not sure that apple trees grow that big around here.

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-16          59589

Jeff, a first class job indeed.

I would however like to add a word about safety, particularly if hooks like those are used to restrain the machine for transport.

Anytime you chain a machine by a part that is moveable by hydraulics, you run the risk of tightening the chains against the HYDRAULICS by not having removed all possible travel first. If for instance you use the front hooks to chain the machine by, you would have to first cycle the loader control with the engine off, then tighten the chains, then cycle the hydraulics AGAIN to be sure there is no load produced by the tension on the chains that can be released by hydraulic movement. The same applies to the rear hook on the hoe bucket.

Failure to do this could result in the chains loosening in transport which would adversely affect the load security.

Also be aware that the loader bucket is designed to take weight in a particular way, generally that is as a spread out weight bearing downwards (loaded) or rearwards (pushing into something) on the bottom of the bucket. If you were to, for instance, chain those hooks to something capable of apply a huge load (a stump) and used the bucket rollback circuit to apply force there is a VERY real chance the top of the bucket would bend long before the stump moved. I know because I watched a neighbour at my cottage do EXACTLY that, the bucket was bent beyond repair and one loader arm was slightly twisted.

Do your self a favour and put a big gusset under those hooks BEFORE you regret it.

Best of luck. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-16          59592

Ditto warning about bending buckets, it is easy to do.

Another thing, once you reinforce the top of the bucket, now you can run the risk of jacking the rear end of the tractor off the ground with the roll back circuit.

It's always something. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-16          59598

Guys,

What you don't see under the mounting plates of all the hooks is two pieces of 2 inch 1/4 angle welded side by side to form a channel or like Murph said A GUSSET. Welded with 7018 rod the 1/4 plate 3 inches wide is welded on top. The 1/4 angle is side bolted with grade 8 1/2 diameter bolts. I would Never and have never used those hooks to tie the tractor on the trailer for the reasons stated. I tie directly to the loader frame and then tie from the stabilizer arm mounts on the backhoe. I have a custom made chain with a chain binder I use to bind a big load into the loader bucket to keep it from falling out. The backhoe bucket hook as stated has to be used wisely to keep from lifting the tractor in a stretched out boom position. I roll the backhoe bucket so the hook lifts straight up with minimium boom and dipper extension. I never use the backhoe bucket curl to lift. One never wants to use a back hoe bucket hook for lifting out a stump either since Murphy's Law states a "Tree stumps are always stronger and will break things" LMAO, but if you plan your lifting physics correctly, loader/backhoe bucket hooks are a handy item to have on your tractor and they don't have to look like Ma and Pa Kettle designed them. LOL ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-16          59599

We use a deadfall jig for removing stumps. It is basically a VERY stout tripod which is erected over the offending stump. Suspended from the tripod is a block & tackle arrangement using 1.5" steel cable, the pull power is achieved by a 4" (surplus backhoe) hydraulic cylinder mounted on one leg, the cable doubles over a pulley at the end of the cylinder to create pull. We calculated the vertical lift capacity at about 60 tons, stumps sometimes fight, but rarely win the battle.

Best of luck. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-16          59600

Ok. I gotta know. You made your own tow hooks? How? What material did you begin with and how did you shape and form them? ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-16          59603

They look like the standard tow hooks with retainer clips that you can buy from any Jeep or off road store. They are quite useful and very strong. I have never broken one. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-16          59604

Looks like a nie job Jeff!! Glad to see you did reinforce the top of the bucket too. Murf, I've seen an outfit like you described, It would be a lot cheaper than to have a backhoe but I like to get a little stick time,and you still have to get it off the lwan ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-16          59606

Maybe I am misunderstanding the meaning of "fabricated". ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-16          59614

Actually the main reason we use it is that it will easily lift an object which would require an excavator in the 20 ton class to lift normally.

With one of these jigs two standard tractors, one to move and power the jig, one with a dump trailer to move the object, can quickly accomplish the same job, but without nearly as much mess or expense.

Best of luck. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-16          59617

Here is one source for the hooks. There are many others.

Link:   

Click Here

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-16          59619

Anybody know a source for bolt-on chain hooks? ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-16          59624

What do you mean 'bolt on' chain hooks?

Do you mean a grab hook that bolts on like the tow hooks pictured here? If so, just use the ones that use a pin through two eyes to attach to them the chain, put a few washers where the chain normally goes and a (grade 5 or better) bolt through whatever you need. We did this a few times, works great.

Best of luck. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-16          59626

I was hoping to find something a little stronger. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-16          59628

McMaster Carr, Grainger, and better hardware stores should also be able to supply hooks for the ends of chains that bolt or pin on if that is what you are asking about. You can get slip hooks that allow the chain to slip tight or hooks that hold when clipped over a specific chain link. These hooks can also be welded to a bucket.

The link that I posted before gets you to the hooks that we commonly use for tow straps on the race cars. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-16          59629

Any decent auto part store should have some tow hooks. The ones you see on Jeeps should work fine. If not go to the local truck parts place they will surely have them.

If you don't want to go to the store order them here for $12.99

Just drill some holes and bolt em' on.

On edit: These are 10,000lb hooks I don't think yuo will be able to break these before the FEL or chain gives out ....

Link:   JC Whitney

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-16          59631

The JC Whitney hooks will work fine. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-16          59638

The hooks I used I bought from TSC and cost 8.97 or 10.97 per pair if you want them in chrome. They are rated for 10,000 lbs and come with grade 8 bolts fine thread with the "keeper". I would back them up with 1/4 steel. Those ones in JC Whitney are exactly what I used. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-07-17          59650

jeff r -
You did a very professional job fabricating your add-ons...well done!

I too have done similar in the past, however, as many have eluded to, the bucket will want to bend/buckle abit given particular conditions being met. I used a full length bucket width of 3/8 x 2" angle, bolted on with g.8 1/2" bolts to the underside of the bucket top lip. Then I mounted my grab /tow hooks securely. By doing this, the bucket no longer has a tendency to twist/bend should those unwanted conditions arise.

Given anything else that would cause the bucket or framing to bend beyond that, my orange would not have enough umph to lift or curl, so it is kind of a mute point.

One other gizmo that I added to the bucket, is a 2" step bumper receiver. Just slap in the coupler, and move what ever trailer you want, anywhere, without wrenching your back/neck looking to see where it is going. The added bucket angle, helps support the center would-be strain from the tongue weight as well.

Again...nice job!

Willie H. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-17          59655

Willie H,

I'm thinking about adding a trailer ball hitch system to the front loader for the very reasons you stated. But I'm going to incorporate it into the bucket forks to give me some reach....somehow...I'm still thinkng hard. The many loader hooks I have seen always seem to be mounted in the center of the loader bucket and ALWAYS seem to bend the bucket's edge DOWN like you said, when I made mine I wanted to get the maximium amount of support and that is where the bucket is welded to 1/2 edge plate at the lift arms. I thought about running a 46 inch long 1/4 thick piece of angle inderneath the bucket's top edge, but decided it would be overkill since the bend strength is only as strong as the thickness of your bucket's steel, if I use a chain bridle on BOTH hooks to lift something it will never bend since the my Wood's 1006 loader with 54 inch bucket only lifts around 900-1100. Shucks, It was almost a year gap in between completion of the left and right bucket hooks, LOL. Speed kills. I figure if I can lift it it will go into the bucket and if it's too big I will chain bind it in so it can't roll out. My next welding project is a grill guard to keep things from possibly banging into the hood that are under slung under the bucket. Stay tuned, I just bought the 1/4 flat plate.

Jeff ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-17          59675

Willie, you must be using a drop shank on that receiver. All of my trailer hitches are a lot closer to the ground than the top lip of my bucket.

That is a great idea though...... there is a myriad of hooks and rings and cool stuff one could slide into a front 2 inch receiver. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-17          59677

Mark, even a small Grade 70 grab hook has a WLL (working load limit) of about triple what your machine is capable of lifting, the ultimate breaking strength is WAY beyond that again.

Just how much stronger were you hoping for?

I have a set on the JCB hoe in my pics, and they haven't even BENT yet, they are 5/8" chain size and the WLL is something like 20,000 pounds, EACH, the breaking point is at least 3 times that.

Best of luck. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-07-17          59688

Mark -

Absolutely correct. I do use a drop shank tow bar/ball assembly. The running height "norm", if you will, is 18" for most trailers.

I use a drop shank, then I drive up to the trailers, lower my bucket, and if the tongue is stil too low, I dump the bucket which allows a lower pick point still, then just curl and up comes the trailer and away we go!

Willie H. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-17          59691

Murf, I guess I used the wrong term. I want a stronger, rattle free way to mount the hooks, like a couple of bolt holes similar to the tow hooks under discussion.

Pic #14 shows what I am using now. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-17          59698

Gotcha now Mark. What you are looking for is commonly called a Monkey's Paw (see my # 6 pic) they are commonly used to shorten chains and are stronger than a grab hook. They are made by (among others) Crosby and are available anywhere that carries Crosby chains or hooks.

If you welded a 'tang' vertically on the top of the bucket with a hole in it sized to take the cross pin of the Monkey's Paw they would lay flat on the bucket top, a small peice of rubber contact cemented beneath would stop any possible rattling.

Best of luck. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-07-17          59716

Mark and Murf,

I see what you mean. What I would do is weld 2 pieces of 3/8ths to 1/2 inch plate pieces spaced side by side and drill a hole for the crosspin. You might want to weld the same thickness of plate on the bucket edge to give you a good base for the cross pieces. How good a welder are you? Clean your metal bare, use enough heat and amperage to get good penetration. 7018AC 5/32nds would be my choice for a strong good looking welding rod seam. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-18          59752

Murf, I am still interested in that deadman/dolly thing for moving 5th wheels. If you ever come across a link or a photo, let me know. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-18          59754

I finally asked the search engine the right question and found the 5th wheel dolly listings. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-19          59795

Somewhere I've seen a drawing of a stump pulling gadget that lifts as well as twists to break roots. I don't imagine such a thing would work on stumps anywhere near as big as the apple tree but one might save some digging for smaller stumps.

No matter what, trying to chainsaw stumps below ground level isn't the way to do it for most people. My neighbour tried it a couple of weeks ago on a 14" or so stump he keeps hitting with his riding mower. Claimed the guy he paid to sharpen his chain must not have done it right 'cause it won't cut anything. Now he wants me to try since I have a sharpening jig. Well, he did say that maybe he got the saw in the sand. That's probably the case and a new sharpening job would last about 30 seconds. Well, sharpening is still probably easier than if he asked me to dig it out with my hoe. Maybe I better look for the lift 'n twist gadget.

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-21          59898

My Grandfather used to tell me about how he could remeber helping his Father clear stumps with a only pair of horses, a pair of heavy timbers and some chain.

The process was to dig arond the stump enough to pass a chain under the stump. The two timbers were stood up and connected together into a V-shape with the point at the top and almost directly over the stump. The chain was then passed over the stump and on to the team. When the horses pulled the horozontal pull was translated into vertical force but still off to one side, creating tremendous load on one side of the stump and making it easier to 'rock' out of the hole.

I can only assume a full sized pickup or even a CUT could achieve a similar result.

Best of luck. ....

Great TOW HOOKS

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-21          59899

I don't know. I seen a pair of draft horses pull things no full pick-up could move. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login