Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Owner

View my Photos
RC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-02          56398

Just wanted to say hello to everybody. I bought a basket case L2500DT and have been reading the forum for a couple of days and wanted to post something. I may be needing a lot of help from the gang here. Thanks..........bud

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Owner

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56401

RC -

There are no basket cases...merely opportunities!

Willie H. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56405

I had an L245 not long ago. How much of a basket case are we talking about here? ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-02          56413

Bring it on. It can't be that bad. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-03          56429

Thanks guys, as far as how bad to me its not that bad or at least I don't think so. It's a 99 with 305 hrs. It came with a LB400 loader, 5 foot rotory cutter and a box blade. the previous owner took it through a pond thinking that as long as the exhaust was out of the water it would make it, WRONG. He bent 2 rods but I didn't find any damage to the crank or cylinders. I think I can put in new rods, rings and pistons and be ok. The entire front end is in a box with all of the bolts in one bucket. It will be a fun adventure. I will try to add a picture url. Thanks again...rc ....

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors New Owner

New Owner

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-03          56433

Roadkill -

Next time you talk with this guy, you'll have to mention to him that there's another means of transportation for crossing ponds...they're called "B O A T S" . Geez!

Sounds like you got it under control though. If something arises that stumps you, there are plenty out here to assist.
LOL

Willie H.

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-03          56443

I was able to pick this up for their payoff (3900.00) so I think I will do ok with it. One thing I'm not real sure of is the head has what they call a pipe pin? Is the blue/green rubber o-ring the one that goes there. The head gasket set doesn't identify it neither does the manual. I'm attaching a Picture link of what it looked like when I picked it up. Thanks in advance.............rc ....

Picture Link

New Owner

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-03          56451

Shouldn't you sign in as "PondKill"? Or maybe "Waterdog"

Most older submarines were diesel powered. What happened to your tractor would be a natural mistake for any WW2 history buff.

Good thing he didn't read up on diesel locomotives. You would be doing some serious body work too. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-03          56469

How long has the tractor been setting in this condition? ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-03          56514

I was told that it has been like this for about a year. I have it tore down now and the cylinder walls and crank look good. One of the rods and two of the pistons looked good but I figured I better go ahead and get all new while I'm into it. I ordered three rods, pistons, and ring sets which should be here at the end of this week. The price kinda threw me, 700.00. I will carefully clean up all of the oil ports and reassemble with lubriplate and see what happens. Any advice would be appreciated.............rc ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-03          56517

Reason I asked was that I would be looking for rust and the condition of the cylinder bores. Do they still have a nice cross hatch hone pattern on them? Any ridge across the top of the cylinder bore? Have you had the crankshaft checked for straightness and crack checked? Chances are everything is OK and will work out as you plan but it pays to have this stuff checked before hand to avoid any risk of damage to the new parts and additional tear down. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-03          56535

Doing a flux test or something like that is a good ideal. The bores had no ridge at all. I was able to push the piston out with only a soft taping. You can still see a touch of the hone but I will probably run a hone back through real lightly. I'll let you know how it turns out....rc ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-03          56538

Any subcomponent like the crank or a rod that has been subject to violent sudden stoppage is suspect and I would strongly recommend having them checked. Very cheap insurance. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-04          56563

Can't help with the pipe pin. It does remind me that I gave myself a bad time when I pulled the head on my old Honda 750. There were a number of very small o-rings between the head and cylinders that sealed oil passages. They didn't stay in place very well when remounting the head and I ended up pulling the engine several times. The manual pictured them and it still didn't do me much good.

Fluxing would detect minute cracks but not distortions. Fluxing would be a good idea but checking for distortions and alignments also would be good. I've heard that cranks can become eccentric and bearing seats become out of alignment. There are probably similar issues for the camshaft.

I wonder if there's a theory on what cause the lock up. I'm thinking the water in the intake that produced a hydro lock might be an explanation. Cold water on the block might be another but that doesn't seem too likely. I don't have any definite ideas if the particular type lockup would suggest some things to pay particular attention to when checking over the engine but it might bear some thought. For example, if cold pond water on the block could be an explanation for the lock up then cracks in the block would seem a possibility. I think of flux testing as mostly for cranks and I can't think of a test for a block other than x-ray off-hand. I'll probably learn something here. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-04          56653

While I'm waiting on engine parts I have been reconstructing the rest on it. Things are falling into place very well. I installed 2 new tubes today and have one more to get all of the flats fixed. I'm really enjoying this rebuild...........rc ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-04          56657

Look at it as "Tractor Therapy". Worked for Forest Gump. Wait until you can drive it around and do stuff with it. You will be a new man! ;o) ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Glenn-D
Posts: 54 Westmont, Illinois, summer home in Mountain Home Ar.

2003-06-07          57049

Roadkill, Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I would have the crank checked by a machine shop before putting it back together. Bending 2 rods is not good and my bet is the crank could be "tweaked". Have the 2 pistons checked for cracks around the wrist pin boss too. Not that expensive to have done and prevents you from assemblying a grenade. I just rebuild a Perkins 4 cylinder diesel out of a 845? Bobcat that had a rod knock and the total cost was just short of 1,000. This included a new rod, cutting the crank, new bearings, rings, gaskets, oil, filters, new injectors and glow plugs. Not terribly expensive at all. Glenn ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-07          57057

Glenn, I feel real good about the deal. The tractor is in great shape other than the obvious. All of the parts are here except for the rings that should be here Monday. I can't wait to get it going. Thanks.........rc

http://rcsvtxplace.freewebspace.com/images/dsc00002_0002_(resized).jpg ....

Picture Link

New Owner

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-06-07          57066

RK,
Nice, I'm Orange with envy.
Glenn ....

New Owner

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2003-06-08          57077

maybe you can get the factory to repair this under the warranty?...I mean, does the owners manual actually say NOT to drive this tractor into ponds???.....

and by the way roadkill, I used to live in Starret, between Red Oak and Waxahachie off I-35....small world....still have friends in Rockett! ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-08          57090

Well hello neighbor, I'm between Red Oak and Rockett. Small world huh. I bet we know some of the same people........rc ....

New Owner

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2003-06-08          57101

is that rockett Cafe still open?..that used to be a Friday evening staple for me and the wife....I moved up north (Flower Mound) in 1993, after I got laid off from the Times Herald....I built on 13 acres just off off I-35 / 387 exit....sold my place to a horseman who got moved up here to work on the Supercollider!!...We drove by the place a few months ago, still the same barbed wire fence, but man has Waxahachie changed!! Got a TSC where the old WalMart used to be I noticed..wish that was there when I was living out there....there sure are some beautiful old Victorian houses in that part of the country...those sure were some good times back in the days! ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-08          57122

Yes Sir Rockett Cafe it still going strong. I don't go there that much but I have been a few times. I watched the demo of the Times Herald for the 30th floor of Renaissance tower. I sure do miss that paper. The SSC lured me to Ellis also. Take care..........rc ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-11          57380

Well guys I fired it up tonight. It cranked right up and sounded good. I didn't get drive it, bare bones right now, no sheet metal and the battery was just sitting on the frame. Will post a small web site later...........rc ....

New Owner

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-11          57381

Roadkill -

Like I said...merely an opportunity. Congratulations!

Willie H. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Glenn-D

2003-06-11          57382

Excellent !!!
Ya must have done some serious thrashin' to
get her put together that fast.
Glenn ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-12          57393

Sounds like you are making some serious progress. Congratulations on the first fire up! You have the toughest part behind you now. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-12          57450

Thanks Willie, I enjoyed just about every step except wrestling the tires off to install new tubes,LOL. Here's a picture of the start up condition...........rc ....

Picture Link

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-12          57451

Thanks Glenn, I get home about 4.00pm everyday so I had no problem working on it till about 11.00pm. I picked up the parts on Monday. Put the bottom together on Tuesday and then the top end on Wednesday. Tonight I finished it off and went for a ride down the road, YEA HAW!!!..........rc ....

Picture Link

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-12          57453

Thanks a lot Chief. I couldn't get the picture to work on the last reply so I will try on this one..........rc ....

Picture Link

New Owner

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-12          57454

Roadkill -

Judging by the pics, it looks like you did a great job on the "old" girl. Good luck with her!

Another orange to keep buffed and shined.

Willie H. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-13          57502

Thanks Bud, if anybody would like to look at some pictures that were taken along the way go to the address below and enter Member; kubota / Password; budking
http://home.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.us.LoginNew?com=usBanner&awp=index3.html&DIRECT=show&goNext=photosharing ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57525

Roadkill, you're cookin' with grease now! You gotta go parade that shinny new lookin' tractor around the neighborhood for a few victory laps! ;o) ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-13          57531

Don't forget to hang the orange fuzzy dice from the ROPS too! ....

New Owner

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-13          57539

great work, must be proud to get her going best of luck when you put it to work. ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2003-06-13          57565

Thanks everybody, I'll keep you up dated on how she does. Chief, can I get those dice from the dealer,lol? Its been raining ever since I put it together or I promise I would be on it. This is the first disel that I have worked on and I like that way it is simple and strong..........rc ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Roadkill

2004-03-23          80881

Hey gang, just wanted to check in and say hello. I hope everybody is doing well. The Tractor is doing great.......rc ....

New Owner

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-23          80887

Great to hear the you and the Kub are doing well! You have all Spring & Summer ahead of you to play with it! You also have a tractor with a nice beer drinking story behind it to be proud of to boot. ;o) Enjoy! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login