Thanks

Kip

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-26          50075

I have heard of a case breaking around the top-link bracket from excessive top-link compression. It may have been from 3ph backhoe use. I also recall a broken case from hitting something while dozing backwards with a box scraper, but I think that break was around a lower link pivot point.

Sounds like your break is higher but I don't know if it's around the top-link bracket or the rock-shaft. That's not a good thing to happen and I hope the repair isn't too expensive. I'm curious what you were doing at the time. ....

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-26          50080

There is an older thread about Kubota heavy-duty top link brackets. ....

Link:   Kubota Heavy duty bracket

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-26          50085

I have seen this several times with larger tractors, if it is the rockshaft you are talking about. Were you using an implement that was off set to the side? i.e. sickle bar cutter, off set scrape blade? Side impact loading can twist and break the rockshaft and in turn feasably damage the housing. ....

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
kdegen

2003-02-26          50096

I was backing up with a fully loaded bucket when it went.

Cost estimate is $1400 approx. ....

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-02-26          50135

Kdegen...
You may or you may not want to hear this. Believe it or not, the vintage of your B7200 is key. Back around the late 1980's, early 1990 timeframe, these models ( BXXXX ) had a defect in the castings of the transmission housings. With the naked eye you could not see anything amiss. You would need to look with a high power lamp, even a stobe lamp, to see many hairline fractures in the case. NOT all oranges of this series had problems of this nature. However, like you pointed out, it certainly is costly. I'm surprised that your orange dealer does not acknowledge this. I do agree that if you have a side weight element on your 3pt bars, the potential is there for the top link bracket to sway abit if not locked down, causing it to bend and twist until the top two bolts rip out and possibly tear out a piece of the upper housing. Your message did not say what you had on the 3pt at the time of incident. If you had nothing on, perhaps the damage was done at some earlier event when you did have a "heavy" on it...maybe even exagerating the casting fracture potential.
Curious to find out ....

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
kdegen

2003-02-27          50186

The tractor was shipped to dealer 2/25/87.Hopefully it wasn't in this group because I was never told about it when I bought it. I haven't used the 3pt yet only to landscape

and grade. It is in the shop now at the dealer. ....

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-02-27          50230

Don't bet that the dealer would tell you that kind of information prior to a sale. At the time, back in mid to late 1980's, the problem had not really surfaced yet. It merely came known later on as ,a not really common occurrence, but rather a topic of conversation at the orange coffee table. I know of it because a buddy had a B6200 that fractured with many hairline cracks. The dealer at the time (early 1990's) warranteed it. Good Luck. ....

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
kdegen

2003-03-06          50629

Heres the response I got.

Thank you for contacting Kubota. I had to jar loose a few
mental cobwebs to answer your inquiry. We've covered a lot of ground since
the B7200 line was produced. I went through our archived records and have
found nothing indicating any particular transmission case concerns. Neither
do I remember getting any field contacts regarding this type of failure.
With any mass produced product as complex as a tractor, there is always a
chance for what we refer to as "one-offs", isolated failures due to the
manufacturing process involved. But then that is what a warranty policy is
all about, protecting our customers from expensive repairs that are always
most likely to be required very early in the products life cycle. Defects
seldom wait very long to appear! I hope this helps. Again, thanks for
contacting Kubota.

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-07          50680

KD: Sure is too bad that happened and I don't suppose theorizing will be very satisfying.

However, it is possible that what was said here and by Kubota is consistent and it has to do with use of the work 'defect.' Choices may be made in engineering designs and manufacturing processes that just don't have long expected lives. When they fail, they aren't considered defects. Defects are usually considered failures in manufacturing processes that result in flawed parts.

If the Kubota cases were subjected to formal quality control, then likely a set of repetitive stress tests would be defined and a 'mean time before failure' rate stated. A failure rate is sort of like life expectancy and the question is where was the tractor in it's 'theoretical life-cycle. The trouble with this sort of approach is that it has to do with probabilities and even failures significantly before life-expectancy still aren't considered defects.

True enough that warranties are there to cover defects, but they typically aren't very good at covering design and manufacturing weaknesses. Automobile customers also face these issues, and it took a bunch of consumer action groups and legislation to get manufacturers to launch recall programs. For the most part, the only things that are recalled have been packaged as safety issues. That sort of thing is a solution, but it's not a very satisfying one for an individual.

B7200 3pt Blowout

View my Photos
kdegen

2003-03-13          51094

What went was the Hydrolic2 cover and the piston. After I checked it out I now believe it was just a fluke and some bad luck.There does not appear to be any cracks elsewhere.

I must have been on the end of my statistical curve....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login