Go Bottom Go Bottom

new L3000DT

View my Photos
dugg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-25          48153

I've been shopping around for a good used 30hp low hrs machine for weeks now and what I'm finding is that I can get a new L2600DT w/ags for 10300 or bump up to a L3000DT w/R4s for 11300. This being my very first tractor EVER, I want to be sure to make the right choice. With anything else (cars, trucks, etc), I buy used and upgrade as I go. I'm sold on the L3kdt for price and rubber. However, I just can't swing all of the goodies (fel & implements) and I'm having a hard time justifing to myself "NEW Kubota" right now.
So do I get "just a tractor" and pick up the attachments over time? My thoughts on the fel is to buy new in a year or two. Any thoughts or conviencing words to a distressed wannabe brand new Kubota owner (I think)?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

new L3000DT

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-01-26          48162

The L3000 is an economy model that lacks a lot of features you might find desirable. If you don't even get a FEL what are you going to do with it? Is that a machine that fits your work requirements or just budget? If your budget is limited to around $10K or so, I would buy used.
JMHO
Pacesetter ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
dugg

2003-01-26          48174

My initial thought was to buy used with a budget limit of 10k. However, once I started looking, a new basic kubota was very close to what I wanted to pay and a finance rate that no credit union can touch. Work reqs... Initally, I've about 200 fence posts to dig, and about 2 acres of mowing. I also have a riding arena that needs fluffing occasionally, gravel drive, and a vegetable garden. The folks that I purchased this property from had a tractor with FEL and did a lot of the clearing/landscaping already. I can see where having a FEL would be nice but I do not think that it is necessary in the interim. Thanks for the great input! ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
soarkrebel

2003-01-26          48226

I bought my L3000dt in sept. i have 45hrs on it and love it. i paid around $10700 for just the tractor ancd i thin 2700 for the FEL. the fel has got to be the most useful thing. i am glad i got it when i bought the tractor.
I went with the 3000 over the 2600 for a couple of reasons. the dual clutch and added horsepower.
i would spend a little extra now and be happier later.
It may be an economy but once you start using it you won't know! ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-27          48247

There is not much to say after reading the comments already posted here. Check Kubota's options for payments to bring them to you needs. I tell people it is always cheaper to install a loader while assembling the tractor. ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
GottaBoomer!

2003-01-27          48249

I have wanted a CUT for some years now and FINALLY got one. I have several varied tasks for it including snow removal (1/2 mile driveway), but one of the main reasons I wanted one was to have the convenience of a FEL. Just simple little things like loading a burn barrel on the pickup, loading extra (traction) weight to the pickup for winter driving, etc. I also have a slide-in pickup cap unit that weighs about 1,600# which I had made with rectangular steel tubing in the bottom that will accept pallet forks. With the forks attached, I can handle the cap unit myself and don't need to round up 4 or 5 neighbors whenever I need to install/remove it. In short, unless you have a specific task in mind where the FEL would be an obstacle (I don't even know what that could be), by all means, GET IT WITH THE TRACTOR! It will become the best friend you ever had. (And prevent a lot of back strain, etc. trying to lug things yourself.) Just my thoughts... ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
maintenance

2003-01-27          48253

Dugg, I'm kind of in the same situation, I currently have a JD 855 w/fel, backhoe and 72" belly mower to do my chores at the present time but almost upgraded to a NH TC 40D this past november but couldn't afford all the attachments I wanted. I decided to save up 'till next fall and purchase most everything I wanted at one shot to drive the total costs down. Just my situation. Good Luck,
Peter in NH ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-01-27          48256

This still makes no sense to me. Why make payments on a tractor for a year or two and not be able to afford the implements to use it?? I've been looking for five months and literally changed my mind a hundred times. I joke that I'm on the 1327th revision of my final decision. There is soooo much to learn about these things. Differences in types of tires, types of PTO's, types of transmissions, FEL and 3-pt lift capacities. PTO horsepower for types of implements. That's without getting into the Japanese vs Korean vs Chinese discussion. Really, $11K isn't THAT great a deal. Here in the expensive Northeast L3000DT's are available for $14K with FEL. They don't sell that well because most people who buy that size tractor want hydro transmissions. Which by the way also has a negative effect on resale. In the entire B/BX series ONE tractor is available with a gear transmission, the B7500 DT. ALL the others are hydro from the BX1800 to the B2910!
Just More Of My Humble Opinion ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
dugg

2003-01-27          48257

Wow, what great feedback! Perhaps waiting a bit is the prudent thing to do here. I definitly have been convienced (here and by others) that I should have the FEL and live PTO. Time would afford more capital as well as more education on making the right decision. I just didn't want to miss out on that Kubota finance 2.99APR. Does Kubota usually have this level of sales incentives throughout the year? When is the best time of year for buyers?
Thanks, Dugg TN ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-01-27          48259

Good post pacesetter, I understand where you are. But you forgot to mention the India,Pakistan,Italy,and and eastern European CUT's ( I am sure I have forgotten a few too):)
Lots of fun huh ?

new L3000DT

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-01-27          48275

Dugg, After your last post, I took my shoes off and did some math. The 2.99% is for up to 36 months. Payment is roughly about $320 borrowing $11K. For 48 months it's only 3.99% and borrowing $14K puts your payment in the same ballpark. To extend the loan out 12 months, you can get a post hole digger, finish mower and box blade, OR you can get the FEL. P L E A S E Don't take this into talking you out of holding off, that is still the best bet. Just giving you a way of looking at things from another set of eyes.

To put a bug in your bonnet. The Korean built Mahindra has 0% for 36 months. Their US operation is in Texas, I know of at least one excellent dealer down there. It has better features than the L3000 including shuttle shift, 12 speed transmission, and live independent PTO and weighs a lot more. Believe me, Korean built units are very well made. And you know what?? If you looked at one and didn't like it, that would all the more solidify your position on the Kubota. I only mention Mahindra because of the 0% financing, and affiliation in Texas. There's Kioti, Century, Branson, Long and others more in the mainstream like New Holland, Massey Ferguson and Deere. Then there's the units further from the mainstream like Power Trac, Steiner and Ventrac. If you hit the Texas Lottery the new Bobcat Toolcat would be at the top of MY list.
You've got a lot to learn - ENJOY!
Pacesetter ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
dugg

2003-01-27          48291

Thanks for the great info on the alternatives. However, a limited supplier base here in TENNESSEE (TN) is a primary concern for service as well as selection. Tennessee has reciently voted in the lottery and we can hope to be playing by the end of fy 2k3. I'll play but be conservative.
If in fact I do win the TN state lottery, I may take a trip to Texas where I can evaluate the Mahindra. I have looked at the Kioti here in TN and have been impressed. A good price, substancial HP and has outweighed pound for pound in every class 20-40 hp. However, there is but one dealer 35 miles away (that prefers to sell Branson machines).
I'm going to wait and see what comes up in the calssifieds, save up some more tractor capital, and keep posting until I've driven YA'LL silly! What I've gotten is that I want a good ole fashoned straight shift 30 hpish 4WD live PTO, FEL, FM, and a box to start. I'll be driving everything that I can get my hands on so as to test on these steep Tennessee hills. Thanks for the support in helping me with my decision!
-Dugg ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-01-27          48300

TN = Texas = Senior moment. :)

TN - Better yet! a lot of internet discount dealers in the vicinity!
Good luck and keep us posted!
Pacesetter ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
soarkrebel

2003-01-27          48301

Hummm mahindra's made in korea?? i thought india!

When i bought mine i got tractor , FEL , woods bb60c cutter (slip clutch), 16x16 disc and atlas box blade 5'hd delivered for $15,000. granted it didnt have a heated cup holder, heated seat,digital display, super shuttle hydro super slide drive transmission. it came ready to work!!
Yeah i have to push the clutch in to shift to a higher gear really slows me down . but then again for the same tractor with all the above goodies would have cost me more than i paid for all i got.
I really wanted a L4300dt for the horsepower but budget ruled. i have been very satified with it.
And when i drive down the road i see old kubotas still working very much like mine. i havent seen any old mahindras ,kioti's,agri cats or the long list of new ones.
so i feel very comfortable that far after i pay it off it will still be going.
try and work a package deal for what you want. i came out better that way. and after i got mine i found lots of other toys i want for it.
Now lastly think about it are you going to be driving this thing to work? everyday? or just mowing and digging post holes on weekends? if it is the latter, economy ain't so bad!

Oh yeah in arkansas they can't keep 3000dt's on the lot. my dealer said it is the most popular model he sales. i have seen only two used 2600's for sale and they didnt last long. ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-01-27          48302

soarkrebel, Part right on the Mahindra's. The CUT's are made in Korea and have Kioti engines. The Utility tractors IE: 4500, 5500 and 6000 are made in India.
I think your experience with the L2600 and L3000 is geographical. In the Northeast they are duds. Hydros are in most all of the smaller CUT's up here. The Grans L's 3010, now 3130 sell much better than the plain L's and the B/BX series go like hotcakes. Even a Grand L with a GST is a slow mover in this area. People buying these tractors up here are not farmers, but homeowners with little or no tractor experience and a large tract of land to maintain. My particular tract of land was a dairy farm, but that was a long time ago.
You got a great deal on your L3000. My local dealer advertises $14,500 for just the tractor and FEL. My point was not that there was anything wrong with an L3000, just to know more about what he was purchasing and not to max out his purchase on the tractor and not have any implements. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any Korean or Japanese tractor, it's just what suits your application best. The only way to know that is to educate yourself by shopping, looking, asking and trying.
Pacesetter ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
S.Hickey

2003-02-02          48545

Pacesetter----What Mahindra dealership in Texas are you referring to? I live close to Houston and have been looking for a tractor. I have priced the Kubota L3000dt but would also like to see if the Mahindra might be something I would be interested in.

Thanks! ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-02          48557

S.Hickey - get back to me by eMail
Pacesetter300 at earthlink.net ....

new L3000DT

View my Photos
Robert Foto

2003-03-04          50530

Mahindra Dealership in san antonio. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login