Go Bottom Go Bottom

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Loren Larkin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-14          47508

Hello,

My husband has had it with our Cub Cadet and has come across what looks like a good deal on a Kubota. I was looking for opinions on this. It's a 1996, B7100HSD, compact 4WD tractor with 350 hours, 60 inch deck, turf tires, hydraulic 3 point hitch and bucket. The guy wants $7800 for it because he is buying a new house and needs the money. It's in new condition. He has the manual, maintenance records etc. This is supposed to be a good price. We would use the tractor for mowing a large area, plowing the 600 foot driveway, pushing small amounts of manure around now and then and various odd jobs for a very small family farm. (the guy selling it will be working for my husband shortly so it's probably all that he says it is :-0

So what do you folks out there think?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2003-01-14          47510

By "large area", how many acres do you mean?

This machine has ~17 HP. It'll pull a 48" rotary cutter, if you're cutting brush (which the mid mount mower won't handle).
That 600' drive could be a hassle plowing (depending on how much snow you normally get. The HP should be able to handle a 48" blower. You'll probably need a 3 point hitch type snow blower, by the way). Otherwise, that's a heck of a drive to push with a blade.

I would find out if the cooling system is a thermo-syphon type. ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-14          47516

No power steering with a loader is taboo for me! ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
LorenLarkin

2003-01-14          47518

"I would find out if the cooling system is a thermo-syphon type."

Why please?

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Loren Larkin

2003-01-14          47519

I mow about 2 acres and once a year do a few small pastures (an acre or so) ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-14          47527

Art is right, I would never consider a tractor for 7800 without power steering. No power steering is the major problem with this tractor. For that kind of money there are many better values for the money. Seek and you will find. ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-15          47536

Thermo-siphon is a cooling system without a pump. It may seem odd from a conventional point of view but I've heard that the systems work OK. Even with my conventional system, I avoid such work but mostly because I don't like the heat and because I don't want to change to a 15W-40 oil for a few days a summer.

Maybe a conventional system is a bit better for long periods of heavy work on hot days. However, the systems do save a bit of HP that isn't needed to run a pump and of course there isn't a pump to wear out.

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-15          47537

LL, just for the sake of clarity, where is the bucket you mention? Is it on the front of the tractor (front end loader) or is it a three point scoop on the rear? ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Smahler

2003-01-15          47561

I will be the lone positive poster here, I guess. First off, if the tractor has a front loader it is a good price. No loader, and it is a fair price only, at least by my Upstate NY price standards. I would simply test drive it to determine whether you can live without power steering. I dont mind small loader tractors with manual steering, especially since I wouldnt use the loader more than 30% of the time. Same for thermo-syphon, which the B7100 does have. I find it to be a simple, effective system that is easier to maintain over the long haul with the absense of a pump to worry about. Good luck, test drive it, and dont be afraid to buy - the B7100 was one of the most popular tractors ever for Kubota - just like a VW Beetle. ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
B7100HST

2003-01-15          47564

I will add a positive reply also. I have a 96 B7100HST with 230 hours, a fel and bh(woods6500). I have used it to plow my driveway, move topsoil, gravel, stone and mulch and dig stumps, walls, shrubs and a foundation for 11'x11' addition.

I've used it all day in 90+ heat and never had a problem with engine overheating. In short, I think it's a great homeowner machine. I agree with $7800 being a good price IF it has a front loader. ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-15          47566

That's where I was going. ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Art White

2003-01-15          47590

Loren, the cooling system would only be a problem if you would like a heated cab on the tractor. Then you could add a electric pump to the coolent lines to the cab to take care of that problem. Is the loader quick dis-mount? If it is, than it will be easy to remove to lower the steering effort needed. Might you chose to drive the tractor some day it might make it a bit easier. You did say there are some barn chores and yard work to do but could there be more work down the road that a little different tractor might be a plus to do that work? ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Loren Larkin

2003-01-16          47620

To answer some questions:

yes the bucket is a front loader and it comes with the 60 inch mowing deck too. I am not thrilled about the turf tires and was wondering what you folks have to say about their ability to push dirt and gravel without slipping. In the winter I would imagine we need chains.

yes Art, good point, we could probaably always use a bigger and better tractor but actually this baby will fit in our garage and our barn is not very big so the size is about right. I think it's what we need in terms of what it can do. ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Loren Larkin

2003-01-16          47623

Oh and we bought it today for $7500 ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
DaveM

2003-01-16          47624

Loren I'm a Cub owner and I'm not familiar with the size of your tractor but I wouldn't worry about the turf tires unless they are worn considerably. I have Goodyear Tera Turf tires on mine and I think the traction is excellent. I have been plowing my driveway, 200' or so plus other areas for 5 or 6 winters with no chains. I believe my Cub is heavier, 3300# or so with loader but I haven't really needed the chains.

Oh, by the way, congratulations on your purchase. Who is happier, you or your husband? ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Loren Larkin

2003-01-16          47633

Who's happier about the purchase?

Hehe ...can't hide it can I?

Link:   

Click Here

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Art White

2003-01-16          47634

Good luck and don't dicount those turf tires as I think they are one of the better choice's available. ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Loren Larkin

2003-01-19          47788

I just wanted to give an update on how I fared with the Kubota. We put a 7 ft. blade on the tractor today. Being the woman of the house I was a little hesitant about driving the thing with the bucket and the blade and no power steering. But I was mighty surprised and delighted to find it at least the same if not easier than the Cub Cadet. So having never driven a tractor before, nor plowed (we had a blower on the Cub), I was having a lot of fun today pushing the snow around and learning my way around the tractor. I like it! ....

Buying a B7100HSD Maybe

View my Photos
Art White

2003-01-19          47789

Congratulations! The cadet 1440 with a blower is a handful anyway as that doesn't have any power steering anyway. Have you gotten that going yet? Old farmer wise says just don't try and turn when stopped keep moving when you are turning and you shouldn't have any trouble. The blade for rear ballast will help with the turning. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login