Go Bottom Go Bottom

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
bat46
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-09          47230

Can anyone give me their ideas of the 7800 compaired to the 2710 or 2910.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-09          47231

Nice tractor for the money. The biggest differences would depend on your uses. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-01-09          47239

The 7800 and the 2910 are the same except for a few "Creature Comforts". Kubota even says they are the same powertrain, hp, etc,etc. The seat is different, no telescoping 3pt lower arms (the 7800's are fixed like everything else), headlights are different, no tilt, no hand hydro control, no center bracket between the rear fenders, and a few other minor things. One dealer told me they thought Kubota overpriced the 27-2910 and the 7800 was set to reposition Bota in the 30 hp category. The dealer around here are afraid to order the 27-2910 due to the closeness in the tractors and the large difference in price. You can save a lot of money on a 7800 if you can live without the minor extra features. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-01-09          47246

If these are the "features" you can see that have been cut, perhaps they have cut other corners to reduce cost that cannot be seen externally. I wonder if the quality is as good as the 2910.

Perhaps just my suspicious nature. Or perhaps my knowledge of the way business seem to operate these past few years. Profit first quality last.

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-10          47257

I think that if you look at the feature differences you will find the price difference, as the rest of the tractors are identical. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-01-10          47300

Art,
Do you really think there is that much difference in the pricing of the features. It was nearly $3,000 cheaper. Also, the 7800 has the new 1/4 inch valving. Are the other tractors like this or are they experimenting with it on the 7800?

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Bearbait

2003-01-10          47312

Well guys, I can tell you that in Va. the difference in price of the 2910 and the 7800 is $1,255.00. It was still enough for me to go for the 7800. In fact I am picking it up tommorrow. I will let you know if it gets the job done. I ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Art White

2003-01-11          47336

Retail price differences starting on the B-7800 to the 2710 is 1500. To the 2910 it is 2500. I did drop a dollar off just to use round numbers. Things to consider, if you are going to be hooking to the three point, the extendable hitches would be nice. Different operators might find the tilt wheel nice. The better seat for longer jobs would be nice. It's just a difference of will a chevy do or would you like the top of GM's line and go to the Cadillac. For the least dollar spent, the B7800 will do what the 2910 will pull, mow or push. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Bearbait

2003-01-11          47341

Thanks Art, You seem to be a very responsible individual with alot of information. I am new to this board and also avery new b7800 owner. I look forward to more conversation with you in the future. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-01-11          47343

I think this B 7800 tractor is going to open a can of woopass on the JD790 (no hydro available). ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-01-11          47345

As I stated in another posting, Art has been a big help in my decision to switch from Deere to Kubota. The 7800 will most definately put the hurt on several of Deere's models. I also think we will see Kubota consolidate a few models as well. This tractor is sure to be a winner for the person wanting the extra HP without the extra frills. Art, my behind is so big I can't feel the cushy seat anyway!!! :)

Brad ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-11          47346

Brad, that puts you, me and superman in the same boat. He hauled a big S around with him too. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-11          47348

Hmmmmm,..... Let's recap.
Deere is going in the high tech, computer controlled, whiz bang direction.

Kubota is heading the other way, to the basic no frills tractor concept.

Wonder who is doing the marketing studies that are 180 degrees out of sync with one another?

Any guesses out there as to which way the consumer is going to go? ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-11          47351

Not to upset any one's apple cart, but Deere is introducing a compact 35 HP from India under $10k with no frills. Still under wraps. 6 -12 months off. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Stan

2003-01-11          47352

Mark

Interesting observation - but didn't Kubota go w/ some new electronics on the L-series?

Overall, I bet the basic no-frills approach picks up a good bit of market share - especially if the price differentials stay significant.

For me, If I could add one adjustable lower link to the 7800, I'd be all set! And coming from my Massey, any seat is an improvement { and at the rate I going, I'll need HD aftermarket seat springs soon myself ;) }

Stan ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-01-11          47360

Mark,
I wouldn't be so sure about Deere heading in the more hi tech whizbang direction. I would imagine that most users of the 30hp and under tractors are only using them to mow and maintain their mini farms. Technology will only benefit them so much. And when pricing comes into play, the wife wins..... Cheaper, basic reliability will play well in that market. And Deere is not going to abandon that market (790, 990, 2210). In the 2210 case, Kubota should be proud, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery (BX2200). I have had several dealers tell me the 2210 was built not out of what Deere wanted to do but out of what they had to do with Kubota forcing their hand.

I owned a JD 4400 and maintained 6+ acres with it. It was a good tractor but I am sure this 7800 will do everything on my new 4 acres that I need done. And throw in the cost savings vs Deere and the wife is very happy too. I just think e-hydro and some of the other items will play well in the upper echilon of tractor buyers but the beans and bullets types will do well with basics.
I also think Kubota will address the higher end market (have you seen the new Grand L?) in an appropriate way.

Oh Well. We should all just be happy we have choices!! They could all be built by the government at fixed prices and with square wheels!!!!!
Brad

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-01-11          47361

Deere coming out with a compact tractor from India heh?? Why would anybody buy a tractor from a country whos' people let cows poop all over the place. Deere is so desparate for profit money and cheap tractors they would stoop so low.....I wonder if Somalia can make a tractor for Deere. Better yet, Deere should check out Bangladesh labor force or some other 4th world sewer hole where people work in cow paddies, drink feces contaminated water and never take a bath. Hail to to the Corporate honchos at DEERE and Company you make America so darn proud. The hilarious part of the circle of stupidity is Deere brings this tractor back to the USA and sells it to the stupid people who think Deere is one of the Greatest American icon next to Harley Davidson, baseball and apple pie. Deere is clueless and that's why they will NEVER be #1 in the compact tractor market, they are their own worst enemy. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-01-11          47364

Careful what you say about Harley, I have one of those too ('02 Ultra) and many of the parts are made overseas. 95% of their clothes with "HD" on it is made in China or some other SE Asia country.

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-11          47365

Jeff,

I can remember the days when buying something "Made in Japan" was a bad thing (and "made in the USA" meant exactly that), and rightly so. Back then, the quality wasn't there. Who knows what the future will bring. It's funny how time changes things and people's minds.

In order for everyone to servive, there has to be world trade. No country can use everything they produce and they can't or don't produce everything they need. You might say it's a trade off. It's what makes the world go around.

Billy ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
bat46

2003-01-11          47369

Bear... please keep me posted on your new 7800 ...best of luck with it. Well to tell you the truth I don't know much about tractors so can anyone tell me what the hand hydro unit does and what the 1/4 in vavle unit is and what it does on the 7800. As for all the high tech stuff on compact tractors that sounds like it could be trouble in the long run. As for the wife and the cost I'm sure the 7800 fits right in place.She belevies with JD your paying extra for the name. I guess in my case the basic tractor sounds like the ticket for me. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-11          47371

John Deere has been manufacturing tractors in many countries for many years. Even in China.
Why are you suprised? Only a small % of Deeres larger tractors are from the US.

India has been marketing tractors in the US for 16 years. Get with it.
India is the world's largest democracy and also the largest free market system in the world.

Annual tractor sales frequently exceed 220,000 units per annum. The US is struggling to maintain half that. It is only sensible to market and manufacture in that country.

Deere, New holland, Case, Massey and all the others are manufacturing in India. They all are looking at the same possibility as Deere.
The quality and manufacturing systems are there. In fact they exceed the sturdiness of the Japanese designs.

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-01-11          47372

Who is the manufacturer in India for Deere? I bet my bottom dollar it's...

MOHINDRA!!

If so, you can get a Mohindra yourself for under 10 k and save money on the middle Man (Deere) ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Morgan

2003-01-11          47373

I meant Mahindra. Oops

http://www.mahindrausa.com/

sorry ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-01-11          47374

If you think India is a democracy I have some property to sell you you 300 miles due west of Los Angeles. India is somewhere between 3rd and 4th world. A Col Sander's chicken has better living conditions, sanitation, and rights than 90 percent of the Indian people. Ten percent of India's rich ruling people keep the other 90% in a financial pugatory backed up by the military. Trust me, you don't want to sign up for a tour of Bombay or Calcutta unless you are vaccinated against diseases modern medicine hasn't discovered yet. The only country on the face of the earth that still maintains a cast system but has nuclear weapons. So much for democracy! I would buy a mule and plow before I would buy a DEERE/Mahindra tractor. The only thing they seem to do well is reproduce. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
deerefan

2003-01-11          47378

Mark,

Obviously you are not involved in overseas trade. You should realize that only a very small percentage (<10 %) of engineering is done in markets other than Europe, North America, and Japan. It is the norm that all of the design and engineering is done in these countries and then the work is farmed out to cheaper labor markets.

Where the tractor is designed is not the issue. It is the quality of workmanship that leads to a lot of durability issues. You could have a well engineered tractor built in a country with poor workmanship and QC and have a mess on your hands. As has been proven over the years, Japanese products are generally very well built because of good engineering and quality workmanship. Lower quality products tend to originate from other SW and SE Asian countries.

Bottom line is I can engineer a better mouse trap but if you don't care about building it well (or aren't educated enough) the thing will have problems.

The sad part of this is that a lot of our manufacturing base is being lost to these countries and would be very hard to rebuild should we need it. We can still design great things but the odds of us building them get less and less every year. I think that is a sad statement about our country. The USA was built on a manufacturing base. This "Service" economy everyone talks about us switching to can only last so long. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-12          47387

It'd be nice to stick to tractors and their manufacture. There's plenty of other forums for the rest of the stuff. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Bearbait

2003-01-12          47396

Bat46, I have only had the b7800 for one day,BUT I LOVE IT!!!! I did as much clearing yesterday that would take me three weekends. I know it is new and for now I am babying it but it seems to have plenty of power and is very stable in the woods. I grew up with big IH's and tried to purchase the best quality for the buck. So far I think I did the right thing. I have enjoyed this board since I found it and will be participating in the future (after dark when I park the bota.) ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-12          47405

I have been and am involved in overseas trade for 15 years.
It is not Mahindra. They are a derivitave of IH. It is John Deere and they have formed a manufacturing partnership with Larsen&Toubro. Google it if you are curious. India is the worlds largest democracy. It is an undeniable fact. To deny it is sheer ignorance. Sure there are a lot of differences in the US and the India, but every country has to find what works for them. I think it is prejudicial and anglocentric to think contrary . ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-01-13          47417

Mark,
Your definition of democracy is Not the same as mine. I will stand my statement, India is a 4 world feces hole controlling its citizenry by it's military. The low member of the cast system doesn't have the right to vote. This isn't democracy as you and I know it so let's not kid ourselves. BTW, I was a rep for Hitachi, Panasonic and Goldstar, Thompson Consumer Electronics (RCA) so I am well aware or the who's who of the offseas manufacturing game and what is repressive goverment. Because they are somewhat allied with the U.S. thinking doesn't make them a democracy. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2003-01-13          47447

jeff r,lets see how "stupid" this sounds,1990 jd970 with 4500hrs since new,no problems except one hydraulic pump and that is it.This tractor was purchased at my place of employment new and is still running strong!With these results,I purchased a 2002 JD990 because whoever built this tractor(which is the same with 10 more hp and 4x4)did a very good job! ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-01-13          47448

So, it was made in Japan by Yanmar along with my Kubota, big difference between Japan and India, so what's your point? You got a good tractor and so did I. Did I miss something? Japan's standard of living and wages are comparable to the United States. India's is not. The circle of stupidity thing I refered to was Deere going to India for their tractors NOT JAPAN. The reason the they are Not going to Yanmar in Japan for some tractors is because of NO money per unit savings. India works cheap. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
perplexed

2003-01-13          47462

bat46,
Thanks for asking the right question on the b7800, 2710 and 2710. I anxiously await further responses and hope that they keep pouring in.
I've learned alot since I first logged onto this site.
Thanks again to everyone.
perplexed (Rude Kaltinger)

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Bearbait

2003-01-15          47586

bat46 and perplexed

Well I am up to 14 hours on my new 7800 and so far I am very happy. I have cleared so much that now I am considering a pto chipper instead of burning. I havn't missed the hand throttle that comes on the 2910, the foot control works great and keeps my hands free to steer and work the loader. One thing I would recommend is a tooth bar for your loader it is incredible the boost it gives to your digging force. I am so glad I decided to get the 7800 instead of a L series. Don't be fooled like me on it's size this little compact will do some work.

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
JR

2003-01-16          47645

Bearbait,
This forum has answered a lot of my "new to the tractor family" questions. After looking over all of my options, I have decided to purchase a Kubota B7500 or a B7800 with a loader. I am currently leaning toward the B7800 because of your responses to your purchase. What I would like to know is: 1. What type of tires does your B7800 have? 2. Are there other options that I should be aware of, like the tooth bar? 3. What is the difference of a four-way and three way valve on a loader?
Thanks! ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Bearbait

2003-01-17          47678

jr

I have industrial tread tires on my 7800, I was told they are easy on the turf (in two wheel drive) and tough enough to resist flats when I work in the woods (my dealer did not reccomend turf tires because they do not hold up in the woods). So far I am happy with them. they do have treads but they are not agressive like Ag tires are. My dealer refused to sell me my loader option without a tooth bar, it has come in handy plucking out 1 to 2" sapplings. As far as other options, be sure when you purchase your tractor get several hooks welded onto your bucket, I also had one welded to my hoe (these hooks were no additional cost). It does come in handy for pulling and lifting things that won't fit in the bucket. As far as the 3 or 4 way valve my dealer hooked up the 4 way.
He explained to me that it allows for faster loader operation. We might want to get a comment from Mr White on the 3 vs. 4 way valve. All I know is mine has a fast response. I am a newcomer to this board myself and found that most of the info is educational and useful. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
JR

2003-01-17          47681

Bearbait

Thanks for the info! I will need a bucket hook when I replace my fence - I just didn't know that it was an option. The dealer that I talked to about tires recommended Ag tires. He stated that you would rip up turf with R4s and Ag on turns. But he stated that R4s were mainly to give you the traction of Ag but not the wear that Ags have on pavement. No problem here, I need to rip sapplings too. I think I'll go with R4s. By the way, what type of warranty came with the 7800? Also, what type of everyday maintenance should I expect? ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
Bearbait

2003-02-20          49637

JR
Sorry for the one month delay in answering your question. My dealer gave me the following warranties on my B7800. Loader 1 yr. , Backhoe 1 yr., Bumper to bumper on tractor 2 yrs. and 3 years on Hydro trans. I think this is standard. He told me with proper maint. I should get 15,000 hrs on the engine.
So far this tractor has been great. It has worked harder than I expected it could. I get about 8 hours of run time on a tank of fuel when I am working. ....

looking over the 7800

View my Photos
ifinish

2003-02-23          49862

Also the b7800 does not come with a rear hydraulic block makeing installing rear hydraulic valves more costly than the b2710-b2910 still the machine is quite the animal i hope we get another blizzard on cape cod the last one was alot of fun niehbors love me.

Mike !!!!!!!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login