Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX2200 auxiliary hydraulic controls

View my Photos
Dwight
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-26          45433

My wife and I recently bought a new BX2200 and I was wondering about auxiliary hydraulic controls. From what I understand, and correct me if I’m wrong, they have a 4 way joy stick and a 3 way control available. I know the 4 way is for the FEL but I’m not even sure what the 3 way control is for or where is goes. There is also an empty slot in the right fender that has a hydraulic cylinder on it. I would have to assume that this is for an 2 way auxiliary hydraulic control. Is it possible to have mutable hydraulic controls on the BX2200? The only reason I ask, is I like the idea of having an auxiliary hydraulic connection for rear attachments but I don’t want mess up the ability to add an additional 4 way for a FEL next spring. My old tractor has them both front and rear. They have really come in handy for hydraulic angling and for a hydraulic top link. I can also see many possibilities for them in the future. Has anyone heard of doing this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-27          45439

Dwight, you are nearly right on this but the 3way valve is only for the loader on BX, B-series and L's. The 4 way valve is if you want a snowblower or blade with hydraulic turn on those units. The BX offers the 3 way and 4 way valve, don't get confused as both are a 4 position. They do not offer an extra valve for you tractor yet that will go next to your other lever for your hitch. I do believe they are working on one for it. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-27          45456

This is an issue that has confused me.
When I got the BX22 I wanted the manual angle front blade. Kubota said it required the 4 position loader control valve.
OK who am I to argue? Lets order it.
Then they told me they don’t make them that way, but maybe the dealer could find one and retrofit it.
OK, whatever works.
So when it all comes together, I find that the manual front blade goes up and down, that’s all, just up and down, and uses the FEL dump/rollback circuit leaving the raise/lower circuit unused.

I scratch my head, knowing there are things I don’t completely understand, like needing a more complicated valve to run a simpler functioning attachment and then mounting hoses to the joystick/valve so that side-to-side movement equals up and down function.

Oh well, must be one of life’s little mysteries.

Then I found a passage in the owner’s manual that says the difference between the 3 position valve and 4 position valve is the addition of a two stage (two speed) dump cycle.

So now I am really confused. What am I missing Art?

View my Photos
Art White

2002-11-27          45457

Mark, do you have a float type detent in the right movement in the valve? If so you have a four way valve according to my service rep. otherwise look under the valve on the mount and see if it says, BX2013 on a serial number tag and if it does it is a three way if it says BX2014 than it is a four way. Any way I look at it it should be using the up and down to give you float on your blade. These are the codes for what you would have needed. The price difference is 88. retail. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-27          45468

Art, thanks. It does have a float detent on the far right and it is the 2014. I didn't know I had that feature. Thanks! ....

View my Photos
Dwight

2002-11-27          45482

Thanks for the information. That has shed some light those concerns but I would have thought that since there was an empty place for a the right hand auxiliary control that the unit would have been available. ....

View my Photos
mikant

2002-11-27          45483

I saw photos of a United Kingdom BX2200 that had a hydraulic dump grass catcher and hydraulic dump trailer controlled by a lever in our(U.S.) open slot. You could use the hydraulic output block from the BX22 to connect another control valve. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-28          45496

Terminology doesn't make much difference as long as everybody knows what is being talked about. There does seem to be a terminology issue here. I've heard people distinguishing 2, 3 or more way valves by counting the number of ports rather than the number of operating positions of a control lever.

I got curious about the terminology and referred to the glossary in my new JD Fundamentals of Service manual for hydraulics. The glossary says it's the number of connecting ports on a spooling valve section. I'm not sure how that definition squares with this discussion, but I think I'm going to get good service from these manuals and I'm not even a JD owner.

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-28          45501

For the sake of clarity and accurate speech, Kubota refers to their product as having a 3 position or a 4 position valve. I have changed my post to reflect the correct terminology. I don't know about unused ports, not sure where that goes. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-11-30          45542

Mark, not all in this beautiful country is black and white, thank you. In olden days we even had one way valves, another words, they would only go one way and gravity would be used to go the other way just releasing the oil. These systems only use one hose and of coarse are cheaper. Many people still use this type of a system by just venting the other end of the cylinder to allow air in and out. The two ways were introduced to increase down pressure on the machine such as disc harrows to give the true full weight of the machine to cut better. They do use two hoses for this one. The number of hoses basically has nothing to do with the number of functions of the valve. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-30          45544

Did I sound dogmatic? Or was that on another thread?
I was trying to clarify terms for Tom and figured it was best to use the same terms as the manufacturer. And I still don't know how a person can tell if there is an unused port on a loader control. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-11-30          45546

Mark, there's no way to tell. Depending on open center hydraulics, closed center, pressure flow compensated they all have a different amount of hoses leading in and out of the valve. The base hoses needed to operate are normally not interchangeable and are threaded. The loader and connections to the add-ons still won't tell you what the valves will and won't do and many valves don't work with the different types of systems used on the tractors. When people talk of adding valves there is much to be looked at before the system might even work right. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-01          45586

The classification system used in the JD manual is particular to spooling control valve sections in valve assemblies, and both a 'way' and a 'position' count is needed to say much about a valve. The system isn't relevant to flow control valves, poppets, unloading and a whole flock of different valve types. It also is impervious to various features that inlet and outlet sections of valve assemblies may have such as TANK ports on power-beyond valves

As Art mentions, at best the system isn't adequate to identify a particular kind of valve. As indicated, all sorts of internal features may be present such as various check, anti-cavitation valves and power passages. How these contribute to the ways and positions is ambiguous. The naming system just isn't adequate for identifying exactly what a valve does, nor is there any inherent right or wrong to this naming stuff. However, going through it is a good way to learn about hydraulics, which is what I'm doing and the JD manual is the best textI found to date.

As near as I can figure from the manual, a basic trip loader valve would be termed a 3-way/3-position valve. The count would be; inlet, outlet and cylinder hose ports for the 'ways' and lift, lower and neutral for the positions. The inlet and outlet ports would be internal for a control section in an assembly. However, calling it a 1-way valve for a 1-way loader would be the same thing.

The same valve for double acting loader (up and down pressure) would be called a 4-way/3-position valve since there would be an additional cylinder hose. If the valve had a float detent, it would be a 4-way/4-position valve. The trouble with the system is that detents for fast dump, return to dig or bucket height features (not common on tractor loaders) also would be called 4-position valves. I'll have to read some more to figure out what the 6-way valves mentioned do.

The same naming system can be used for open and closed centre valves, but some closed centre valves have load-sensing lines that would be connections not covered by the naming system. Lot of stuff to learn here.

View my Photos
Art White

2002-12-01          45589

Ah,but Tom we just got thru discussing that Marks BX valve is a four way valve and Kubota has been using this on there tractors for a few years now for loader applications as well as for the blades and snowblowers. How old is that book or are they just trying to put it off as they don't use it yet. Many of the other manufacturers are also using it on there larger farm tractors to operate other implements. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-02          45620

I was trying to make a distinction between the 'ways' and the 'positions' description of a valve. Mark got back and indicated that the literature says it needs a 4-position valve. Under this naming system, a 4-way 4-position valve would be a very standard valve for double acting cylinders with a float feature that as indicated has been used on loaders for decades. A valve with float would be very desirable for either loader lift or a blade.

I am of course guilty of spending far too many words trying to weave in some new stuff for me that I found in the manual. I also was trying to reinforce Art's point that valves seem to come in endless variations and it takes fair knowledge to select the right one for a particular application. My point was that a valve with regenerative fast dump or features like 'return to dig' that aren't common on tractor loaders also would be called 4-way 4-position valves and they wouldn't be appropriate for a blade. So, simply saying a valve is 4-way 4-position isn't enough to know if it's good for an application. The naming system just isn't specific enough.

I think everybody's' comments here are right and I was just trying to add to them. Of course, I am perhaps pursuing detail that only I may be interested in and spending too many words doing it. The manual is from John Deere Publishing: 6th edition, copyright in 1999.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-03-06          50619

Art, I finally got time to fool around with the control valve and the front blade. The far right position is a "fast dump" but not a float.

I am thinking Kubota specs out this valve for the blower/blade/broom to get it down quicker due to the fact these implements are lighter. ....

View my Photos
jdavid

2003-03-06          50674

As of today there is no auxillary hydraulics available for the BX series.The four position valve is required for snowblower application. you do not need it for the loader.But make sure if you put the 3pos valve on your not going to put on a front blower or you will be buying another valve. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login