Go Bottom Go Bottom

Sorry Guys I ve gone from orange to green

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-15          45030

I finally did it. I traded in my L245 on a 2002 JD 4410. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

A 2002 John Deere 4410, Dual mid & rear SCV's, ehydro, crusie control, motion match, all the buttons, a 72 " 7 Iron belly mower, tall folding ROPS, telescopic links, and R4 industrial tires, only 8.6 hours for $19,300.00 with new warranty and gave me $4500.00 for my Kubota.

I went with a 430 Loader with installation including trans fluid replacement & fluid filling tires, Land Pride PTA 1558 tiller, Land Pride 1584 rock rake, and Land Pride P025 post hole auger digger with 9" bit for another $6900.00.

I have some left over L245 brand new parts and manuals if anyone is interested.

The Kubota a good tractor for the money but lacked so many features and versatility not to mention being very top heavy as well as prone to rolling on slopes. Since I am selling John Deere it was better that I have one myself too. If I can interest any of you in a new or used John Deere or impliments, please contact me.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
ponds
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-15          45031

Hum,a john Deere salesman. Ok here's a question

I am about to purchase a b7800 kubots. 30 hp, 23 at the pto, hsd, 4wd, 60" mmm, 403 fel, foldable rops, filled r4's. Cost is 16.5. 60 month financing is 5.5%. I'd like to go green. GOing to a dealer tomorrow. What should I ask for?

nhman ....

View my Photos
DH83

2002-11-15          45032

CONGRATS Chief on your new ride. Is that 72"mmm really a
7 iron deck? does it say 7 iron on it? Mine is a green 72"
mmm but does not say 7 iron on it. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-15          45037

Same here. For 2002 all the 72" decks are made from 7 guage steel. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2002-11-15          45038

Ponds,

I would say that the JD 4310 MFWD, ehydro, 430 FEL, R4 tires, 60"mmm would be what you want. For the money spent, the JD 4310 is the value compact tractor. At 32 gross hp. and 27 at the pto it is more than competitive with the B2800. Plus you may well have to pay through the nose to get that new intro. model Kubota. If you would like I can email you some excel spreadsheet comparison info.; it won't have the B7800 info. since it is fairly new. I believe John Deere can offer you 6.5% for 84 months if you qualify. Depending on where you live it may be worth your while to let me take a shot at pricing you a 4310. The 4410 is very nice but you pay alot of money for 3 more hp. Best of luck on your decision! ....

View my Photos
Greg H

2002-11-19          45145

What a bunch of Bull from a salesman. For 4 YEARS I mulled over each brand. Each has good points and bad points. There is no perfect tractor that fits the bill for all people.
Chief you obviously found what suited you, good luck with Green.
Greg H ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-11-19          45152

Sure would be tough for Cheif to be selling new Deeres when riding on a 25 year old 'Bota when a customer asks what he uses now wouldn't it? Glad to here Deere has a few features over your old unit. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2002-11-19          45155

Greg,

No need to be nasty about it. I never said kubota was a bad tractor. In fact I had planned to keep the L245. I had replaced all the fluids and filters as well as install a ROPS & seat belts. I'll say it again! Kubota makes a great little tractor for the money. I just came across a VERY good deal on a John Deere. Would you pass up a 2002 JD 4410 (8.6 hours) with ehydro, dual mid & rear SCV's, telescopic draft links, R4 tires, and a 72 John Deere belly mower as well new warranty for $19,300????????? ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-11-19          45163

You could have gotten a Kioti DK35 with FEL (66" bucket ) and 72" boxblade, position and draft control, rear remote, syncronized shuttleshift tranny, and a 3 year warranty for 16,500.

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2002-12-16          46156

What do you mean when you say Kubotas are top heavy and roll on slopes, compared to the Deere? What does the Deer have to prevent rolling.

I must admit that all this talk about rolling Kubotas has made me scared to even drive the thing over a tiny hill now, you guys got me scared. When I first got it and didn't know anything, I was riding up the side of cliffs and whistling. Now reading all this I'd be scared to drive over a pile of dog poop thinking the tractor might roll over.

What's the truth? Do these things really tip over so easily or is all this just talk? I've never know of anybody who rolled a Kubota, but now I worry. There have even been jobs where the hill was steep so I used my pickup truck because I was afraid the tractor would roll over. Pickups never roll over. But tell me how easy it is to roll Kubotas so I know the limits. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-12-16          46162

I've seen more pick-ups upside down than tractors, but that is a function of more exposure to cars and trucks than to tractors.
Anything on wheels can and will tip over under the right circumstances. Two days ago the wind blew a loaded semi over on to it's side on I-80.
Jeeps are more prone to roll than Camry's. Tractors tip easier than Jeeps. It is all on a continuum.
The most stable tractor I have sat on so far has been my BX22. It squats close to the ground on wide, square-shouldered turf tires and this time I ordered wheel weights with the tractor.
It is notably more stable than the JD 4100 it replaced, but that has nothing to do with the color of the paint, but more about a particular design. My impression is that the 4100 is no more or less stable than any other 1500 pound tractor with the same size tires, like a B7500 or a TC21. If you could somehow graft the BX tires and wheels onto any of these models they would be just as stable.
so just rig up your tractor as best you can, with wheel weights or calcium, wear your seatbelt, use a modicum of common sense and enjoy the ride.

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2002-12-16          46163

Any tractor will flip if you don't use your head while you are on it! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-12-16          46165

Morgan, I didn't see where anyone said that. I haven't been invovled with any in my area and I think it would be the applications that count. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-16          46169

Art;
I guess you skipped over the last comment on the original post from Chief. I don't know whether is makes sense as I am not sure the original post made sense at all. I guess I am confused at how $26,000 for a small tractor and parts is a deal. I could purchase the blue or red package for 23K and the orange package for 21K.
I just sold my small tractor JD 955 to a landscape contractor for 11K and it was only 4 seasons old. He did not want a new Deere as they are too heavy for the lawn or too little power and not as stable as the 955. He got my name from a friend in LA who had purchase a 4410 and was looking at my tractor as he was not happy. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-12-16          46171

For Chief, I feel that with him being new to the tractor market so to speak and comparing a 20 plus year old tractor to a new model I would hope that they might be better in some ways. Often people buy something for one purpose and than change to another use needing a whole different set-up of the tractor or sell it to someone who just doesn't know any different until they, if they do check it out in the book or talk to a dealer. And than there's the other part, most people if tring to sell a different brand will take mini pot shots, at least in what they say or think or don't know for sure. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2002-12-16          46173

Peters, now you got my curiosity up. What Kubota HST with FEL and all the equipment, that Chief mentioned in his first post, could you get for 21K?

I'm not up on a lot of these prices so could you break it down for me?

Thanks
Billy

View my Photos
kadorken

2002-12-16          46179

Just another 2 cents worth. Just did the comparisons and purchased a JD 4310 HST, 60" midmount mower, 430 loader, 3 rd SCV over a
Kubota L3010, la482 loader, 72" mower. The price difference is $100 (CDN) in favor of the John Deere (both brand new). The difference between 60 and 72 inch on the JD would be about +$400 (CDN), but the 430 loader is heavier and can lift more (and in my opinion is easier to remove).

The final price on mine (a demo unit with 130 hours) was around $18,100 (US $ converted from the CDN price I paid)

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-12-16          46184

Sorry Chief,
But it was John Deere deals like yours that made me go with Kioti !! ....

View my Photos
Kyle_in_Tex

2002-12-16          46192

Chief, you made out like a bandit. You should'nt post prices that low, you got everyone all stirred up. I'm no salesman, nor any connection to any dealership. It would be easy to pick apart everyone's arguments concerning your purchase. Brand loyalty is what makes all this fun. If you'll continue posting, I'll start calling you spoon-man, cuz' you sure know how to stir the pot up.
Are you retired, or might you be going closer to harms way to protect the rest of us tractor bickerers back home?

If you have to go,
Thank you from the bottom of my red-blooded American heart,
Kyle ....

View my Photos
Billy

2002-12-16          46193

Why be sorry wolbert? You both got what you wanted. That's the reason there's so many different companys out there. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2002-12-16          46194

Kyle in Tex,

Thanks for the kind words. I am still active duty, but due to an unexpected medical problem that came up, I doubt that I will be able to continue in my job. I was having some severe headaches ,visual problems, and equilibrium problems. Doc, found something on an MRI he did not like. I am medically grounded but I am enjoying working procurement.

As for the top heavy or tendency of my Kubota to roll or slide on a hill; I was referring to MY particular tractor, NOT all kubota's. I agree that common sense must prevail when using any tractor on a slope. Know and realize your limits and the tractors and abide be them! My L245 had an L1200 FEL mounted on it. It was a nice loader but I think it was way to big for the tractor and thus the top heavy problem. My local Kubota dealer told me to be careful about how much I picked up with the loader because the front axles were known to break on the L245 (2wd) if too much weight was placed on it. I had no intention of stirring the pot here. This is a great forum with alot of experience and knowledge reguardless of the color tractor owned.

A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-16          46195

Chief;
That explains it. The old Kubotas were not that stable as they are quite narrow.
Billy;
I was also refering to Kioti. DK 40 with loader etc. As I am currently considering what to replace my JD955 with. I need something a little heavier for my rough field mowing. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2002-12-16          46198

I looked at the DK45 (compared to my JD 4610) at littletractor.com. I'm not sure how competitive their online prices are but their DK45 with FEL is about 1,000 bucks cheaper than I could have got a 4610 power reverser (got hst, extra 1,200).

Billy ....

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2002-12-17          46204

Everybody keeps saying to know your limits and stay within the limits, but nobody tells me what the limits are. It's impossible to tell when the tractor is going to tip over until after it tips over. There is no weight sensor on the tires saying "There's 2000 pounds on the left tires and 0 pounds on the right ones." You never find out that you are going to roll until you roll. ....

View my Photos
Mike123

2002-12-17          46208

Certainly any tractor will roll if the center of gravity of the machine is too high for the incline it is on. Obviously keeping implements low, especially a loaded bucket helps dramatically or even using low mounted ballast weight. I even used a backhoe on my 855 to act as a counter weight on the high side of a hill. That was probably stupid though. I would suggest some type of inclinometer to tell you how far over you are. The manufacturer's must have some design info on what their tractors can handle for slopes though I don't recall seeing this info. It wouldn't be real accurate since every condition is different and they can't predict what everyone gets into. Specific tractor design will be a big factor. I've watched guys mowing on steep inclines on the sides of roads and that makes me nervous. There is a web site that a tractor designer shows his creation where the machine will offset on slopes to increase the safety factor. I would suggest a good safety factor is needed for side slope operation and somewhat less for up and down the slope. Other than that I would say to hell with it. I've known two friends that have taken their machines end over end. Make sure your rops is on and you wear your seat belt. Be careful. ....

View my Photos
DH83

2002-12-17          46237

I agree these little compacts do tip easy,was moving wet heavy clay about a month ago,I was in a hurry backing up
with a full bucket of clay and the left front wheel dropped
in a small hole,the right rear wheel came off the ground as
the 72"mmm was keeping me from tipping over.Bucket was only
18" off the ground.My old JD2640 would have never tipped that easy being much heavier and wider.I guess it was a
cheap lesson for the price of soiled pants....I think I'm
learning the limits of my 4310 ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-12-18          46253

I think that is the essence of this discussion, each of us must learn the limitations of our respective machines.

Had I started with the BX on my particular piece of land and then transitioned to a 4100, I might have tipped the 4100 trying to operate it like the more stable BX.

There is one key phrase that crops up: "I was in a hurry..." and one that I think is out there that we don't talk about much: "There was a can of brewski in the cup holder..."

I wonder how many CUT accidents have alcohol as a contributing factor. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2002-12-18          46260

No sir officer Hun...Huns...Huny, I wasn't drinking. ....

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN

2002-12-22          46457

Wow you should have went from orange to green to orange, that is a lot of money. i agree with wolbert. go kioti ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-23          46481

Irrespective of colour differences I just wanted to note that my impression is that more accidents happen when tractors loose traction on slopes and slide than tip over due to inadequate ballast. Of course, the two things are related.

My point would be that a person does have to develop a sense of their particular tractor and the instincts to do the right thing when needed. A person also needs to develop a sense of their ground. Some soils support less weight on slopes than others and that can change radically after a rain. A slope that was worked one day may be unsafe the following day.

Mike's comment about a backhoe for counterweight (with a loaded bucket swung uphill I imagine) might be something to keep in mind. I don't suppose such techniques can be recommended since nobody should tell another person how much risk to accept. The comment did remind me of reading my backhoe manual for the first time. It took awhile for the sense of a safety warning to never dump on the downhill side to sink in.

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-12-23          46493

good judgement is the product of expierience. expierience is is the product of bad judgement. ....

View my Photos
Morgan

2002-12-23          46497

That's why the people who have the most experience about tipping are all dead. ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2002-12-23          46501

Good luck with the new tractor. Since you work there, I guess you'll have an in with the service department too! When I first started shopping for a tractor (which I'm still doing) I visited a JD/Kubota dealership. The salesman said orange outsells compact green about 2-1 at his place, but takes up about 90% of the service facility. Sure enough, every unit in the shop was green and there wasn't an orange unit in sight. That memory, plus the pricing have kept me thinking in other terms.
In your shoes though, if a JD dealership hired me, you bet I'd have one in a heartbeat.
Good Luck!
Pacesetter ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login