Go Bottom Go Bottom

Backhoe Seats and ROPS Bars

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-06          43464

Hey Guys,

Got my new backhoe all hooked up to My B-2150HST with a factory Woods subframe and it works great. Although I had my doubts, subframe was easy to install and EASY to Take ON and OFF with a long pin in the front to the Woods 1006 Loader braCKET and 2 pins in the back where drawbar attaches. In my opinion this subframe is a very good design and engineering which can be quickly attached and de-tached. A person will take more time re-attaching his 3 point lift arms than loading on/off with this subframe. I only have one very stupid question. Since this subframe (Woods part number 37434) is made for their 6500 and 7500 backhoes and not only fits my B-2150HST but fits the B-7500, B8200, B9200. Does WOODS expect you to take OFF your ROPS bar to operate a backhoe?????? Even after installing the new seat bracket that was in the subframe kit, the backhoe seat is on top of my gas tank directly or close to it UNDER THE ROPS BAR. Only a person from MUNCHKIN Land can sit in the seat and operate a WOODS 6500/7500 Backhoe with my factory ROPS bar and suntop. AM I missing something here? There is no way to re-modify the seat holder pedestal because you can only go so far forward. The only way I can see it for my 6'4" body to sit on the backhoe seat is to remove the top portion of the ROPS BAR (2 piece design). Does operation of a Woods backhoe require removal of ROPS BAR. I have studied this problem for the better part of the afternoon and I either missed something bigtime or Woods recommends removing Rops bar. I seriously doubt I screwed up since the subframe mounting plate (2 HUGE bolts and 1 huge treaded shaft on subframe) per each side into backhoe) allows NO adjusting of how far or close the backhoe can be attached to tractor. The backhoe is simply bolted to the subframe end and the distance behind the tractor the backhoe hangs is FIXED by subframe design. What even makes it worse is I have a factory suntop on top of my factory ROPS bar. Does Kubota have a taller ROPS bar for backhoe operation? After looking at pictures of other B2150HST with a backhoes, MY Factory ROPS doesn't seem to be TALL enough? That is the Jeff's question for 10-06-02. HELP ME OUT GUYS BEFORE I FIRE UP A WELDER AND CUTTING TOUCH AND CLEAN UP a BAD WOOD'S or Kubota DESIGN.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-06          43466

Welcome to Munchkinland. Is there a high and low ROPs for that tractor? I would assume you need a high ROPs.
Is there anything in the kit instructions? ....

View my Photos
Jim B.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-06          43468

Yes, Kubota does have higher ROPS when you use a hoe. My B2400 required the taller ROPS as part of the 4672 backhoe. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-10-06          43470

Well guys after fine tooth combing the installing the subframe book , I found a paragraph under safety that says" "when mounting a backhoe on a tractor with ROPS make sure it is the high profile design since the low profile design doesn't provide enough operator clearance." WELL NO KIDDING WOOD's. DO you think you could have provided this tidy bit of information on the page that explained the seat lift bracket upgrade? Then we would have knew what you were talking about. My Momma always told me that toilet paper should always be located at the comode where it will be needed the most. I will get my ROPS lengthed at a welding shop with a MIG welder since the ROPS bar is of a 2 piece design and is slip-sleeved and bolted just about 15 inches below the suntop attachement point. Don't bother attaching the bolt on step pads that come with the subframe. On my tractor they touch the back of the rear tires due to the close mounting distace of where the backhoe mounts with 3 huge bolts on each side. Still a good and quick on/off subframe design inspite of poor directions and parts that touch other moving parts.

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-07          43481

You should be aware that welding or drilling on a ROPS may complicate or void warranty or insurance coverage.

I have heard of other situation where implements contact the rear wheels. Generally, I favour after-market implements. However, they are by nature fairly generic, and there are limitation to how well any generic design can be adapted to a specific tractor or how well after-market manufacturers can keep track of all tractor models and changes. Any way, too bad there are problems. I would wonder if laving footpad bolts off might invite metal fatigue sometime in the future. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-07          43500

Jeff, I wonder if part of the cost of a Kubota back hoe is a new ROPS? Keep us posted on the real costs of this. Methinks (that's a word I borrowed from MrEthics) the cost savings are rapidly vanishing here. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-07          43514

I would check with the kubota dealer on the price of the high profile ROPs bar before cutting. It may not be as expensive as you anticipate. I think the whole bar for the JD 750 is ~ 200 dollars. Maybe you can just get the upper section? ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-10-07          43519

Peters,
I don't have to cut. Kubota did that for me. The top section of the bar is split with splints in between the tube and bolts the top and bottom. I just removed the top bolts and slid the roof and top bar right off. I think I will just have extensions made 12-15 higher and rebolt top bar and sunrop back on. Pretty simple remedy.

jeff r ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-10-08          43581

Update:

Hey guys,
Played around with my new Praire DOG backhoe and dug a 40 foot long tapering trench for corrugated plastic drain pipe on my house. Starting at 3 foot deep and tapered to ground level since my house is built into the side of a hill, The unit performed flawlessly. Total time required was 30 minutes give or take and my backhoe operating skills area little rusty. This unit has excellent speed and power with a 12 inch bucket running a PTO pump and resevoir. The engine barely labored plus I didn't have to run the engine above 1700 rpm to get the speed and power I need. Before you ask, The pump is a Caproni and as soon as I convert from the metric system I will give you the GPM and pressure specifications. Whatever those specifications are somebody had their thinking cap on because implement speed and power is more than ample in hard water-starved Michigan soil. The thing I like about this hoe is that I didn't have to pay 6000 bucks to get the performance of a Bradco, Woods, Ameriquip-(BushHog,JD,GreatBEND).
I know I will get some flack with my next statement but I am firmly convinced a subframe backhoe mounting is the way to go. Any backhoe is tough on a tractor. For the way a subframe toughens your tractor to take the shock, the subframe cost is well worth what task it was designed to do. The simplicity in the way a woods subframe attaches makes the time required to change back to 3 point arms a non-issue. The only issue that remains is can a person afford the damage a backhoe could possibly do if he went 3 point mounting. For me, the price of a subframe was pretty cheap as compared to the damage I could pay for if if I ran a 3 point mount. I know alot of you guys run 3-point backhoe mounts and have not had problems. But for me .....Murphy's Law not only applies but the guy lives at my house. Hey, just yesterday I caught him stealing a turkey breast from garage refridgerator. I tried to catch him but he runs too fast. So I have just learned to live with him.

jeff r ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-09          43596

The more I look at the issue, the more I am convivced that sub-frames are a necessity on compact machines. If you have a 6000# ag monster with a cat 2 rear hitch, maybe you can hang a hoe off that without problems. The little guys need some extra help. ....

View my Photos
Bob - factory guy

2002-10-17          43948

Jeff & Co,
Check out TRUCTORŽ T-4000 (www.tructor.com). This unit has a full frame chassis AND 3-point hitch/PTO on Front or Rear.
Can accept either frame-mount hoe or 3 pt hoe, on front, so you are at all controls without sitting in munchkin seat, in roomy ROPS.
Power any add-on hoe with either PTO or 6 hydraulic remotes or up to 32-gpm (yes, 32 GPM @ 3500 psi) - Yikes! ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login