Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rubber hydraulic hoses leaking

View my Photos
Morgan Wright
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-29          36863

I just bought a B6200, it was made in 1988. First thing I did was change all the fluids and filters, of course. When I dumped the hydraulic fluid it was white and milky. So I checked all the rubber hoses and two of them are cracked and leaking. This explains the milky fluid, it obviously had water in it from the leaky hoses. I took off the two leaky hoses and will get new ones tomorrow.

Is this a common problem? Are all the rest of the hoses going to leak too? Replacing all 25 odd hoses would be a big pain in both cheeks.

Do other people with older Kubotas find that the hoses leak?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-30          36872

I wonder if the tractor set outside and unused for a long time? I can't imagine that a hose cracked enough to admit into the oil would hold any sort of pressure.

Near as I can figure, the hoses on my ford 1710 are around 15 years old and without cracks or appreciable weathering. On the other hand, our local snow mobile club has a NH farm tractor converted into a tracked trail groomer. I was surprised to see club members putting on a new set of hoses this winter. I don't think the tractor is all that old, so maybe hoses do go bad. The groomer does sit outside.

Hydraulic hose comes in a wide range of type and grade. I wonder if the hoses go to Kubota or major after-market equipment that could be expected to use high grade hose or if original hose could have been replaced. Since hose integrity is a safety issue, I believe I’d have it all checked. Most hydraulic hose is coded as to type and grade. I’d sure verify that the hose is appropriate for the application.

View my Photos
Morgan

2002-03-30          36873

Yeah, it has some rust here and there so I'm sure it sat outside all the time. Now I'm going to get two or three extra hoses of different lengths made up for next time they leak, because when they leak, it's a pain, you have to take the old hose off and take it into the shop so they can make up a new one and it takes a few days all that time you can't use the tractor. I'll have a few made up ahead of time. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-30          36875

It would be good to keep in mind that a hose can rupture and result in a loaded loader bucket that drops like a shot. Twenty-five hoses would be a pain to replace though, but I’m not sure I’d want to keep using suspect hoses and wait for them to start leaking.

I'm interpreting that the situation is the hoses leak along their lengths rather between the hose what ever fitting is on the ends, or from around fitting threads. It may be common knowledge, but leaky threads often can be fixed with liquid hydraulic sealer or Teflon tape applied to only the top half of threads on the male end. Leaks between a hose and a fitting may be a hose that was poorly made rather than the hose itself. In such a case, a hydraulic shop might be able to put on new ends if there's some slack in the hose. However, I really don't know how much cheaper redoing hoses might be rather than just getting new ones.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-30          36878

I had a couple of hoses go on a FEL at about the same length of time. The position that they went was in the most flexed area.
The outer layer of the hoses will go weather in the barn or out. It will be sped up with the UV and heat out side but will still deteriate over time. Ground based ozone is the cause therefore any thing that emmits ozone will increase the rate of deteriation. Ie setting the machine next to the welder, gen set, etc is not a good idea.
You can coat the lines with tire protectants, silicone wax is what is often used at the hose factory. I had some duPont florocarbon material that was better.
Some how I cannot see myself having the time to clean hoses and wax hoses. Maybe I will just get a little sloppier with the teflon grease. ....

View my Photos
Morgan

2002-03-30          36892

The hoses are all very stiff. It seems like any sort of bending will make more of the break. But I'm only going to replace the two and not bother, who knows if any more will break.

The previous owner only used the Kubota to scoop horse manure from a barn. Maybe the ammonia from the horse shit caused the rubber to deteriorate. ....

View my Photos
Morgan

2002-04-01          36971

Success!! Today I replaced the two leaky hoses and tightened it all up and there is no more leaking. I stuck a gallon of hydraulic fluid in the tranny and I'm going to work the tractor for one day, dump the hydraulic fluid again, and then fill it again with the 3 gallons.

(Hydraulic fluid capacity is 12.1 quarts but it works fine on only 4 quarts. I'll use that to work out any remaining water in the system). ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-02          36979

Sounds like a good result. I would keep in mind that the hydraulic oil in most compacts also lubricates the transmission and rear axle. The oil level also decreases when any hydraulic cylinder is extended. I don't think I'd want to do much work with my tractor if the oil level was very low. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-02          36989

I haven't seen what you are talking about as far as a hose leaking oil out and taking water in. I would believe that the oil hasen't been changed in several years and the moisture is from condensation. It will probably take two changes of your oil to clear the system of the moisture. ....

View my Photos
morgan

2002-04-03          36996

I'll take your advice, today I'll just start it and run the lift up and down several dozen times, then drain it. I won't do any actual work with just one gallon of fluid in it. Thanks!!

How did the water get in? I figure if the hose has a tiny pinhole leak, just enough to just ooze some oil out, then I figure when the tractor sits over time the rain will soak the pipe and the water will get in one drop at a time. The tractor is 13 years old and sat outside.

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-03          36998

Water can get into the sump from bad boots and seals around shifters on top of the TX etc.. Stream crossings where water goes to the axles also can admit water, especially if the axle seals are worn.

As Art notes, depending on how airtight the sump is, condensation over 14-years could put a bunch of water in the oil. The cases could fill with warm mosit air during the day that puts condensation in the oil every time the temperature drops below dew point. That's the reason for keeping fuel tanks topped up during the winter--less air space, less condensation to end up in the fuel filter bowl. However, I think that sumps generally are more sealed than fuel tanks.

View my Photos
Morgan

2002-04-03          37032

Another source of water in the hydrolic fluid is the piston of the boom on the front end loader, if it's raining when you are operating the front end loader a little water can transfer from the piston into the cylinder of the boom.

When somebody parks the tractor with the shiny part exposed it might not be so shiny after a few months. Remember to ALWAYS park the tractor (even if it's just overnight) with the boom piston protected inside the cylinder. That means loader down and bucket tucked in. ....

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2002-04-20          37664

Well, a hydraulic hose broke suddenly yesterday, leaving me covered in fluid. It was leaking a little, the hose was wet for a week or two. Then it popped and made a mess all over the tractor.

I replaced 2 hoses already from slow leaks and wetness. So now, I will replace the other 2 of the 4 hoses coming out of the controller because they are the ones that are all cracked looking, they are the ones that flex every time I use the FEL. The one that popped yesterday is the one from the pump to the controller.

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-20          37669

Glad that it didn't result in a loaded bucket dropping on anybody. Things like do happen. For replacing hose, I imagine that factory replacements are available from a dealer. Most any hydraulics shop could also make up hoses, which might be less expensive. There is a wide range of type and grade hydraulic hose available. It would be good to ensure that less expensive hose from a shop used hose that is at least equal to the original parts. ....

View my Photos
Morgan Wright

2002-04-20          37675

Thanks, my Kubota dealer makes up hoses in 20 minutes if they aren't too busy. That means, you bring it in at 8 AM, they can do it, any time after 9 AM they will say come pick it up tomorrow.

The bucket didn't drop Tom. The hose that blew was the one between the pump and the controller, and since the controller was already set in position and I was simply moving the tractor, the FEL didn't change or do anything when the hose blew, because all the ball valves were set in position. The load of dirt is still in the bucket and it's still high up in the air!

But if I should touch the controller now, I bet a lot of oil shoots out the bottom hose as the FEL drops!! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-21          37681

Well, expertise shouldn't be assumed nor recommendations implied from anything done over the net by anybody. That's my disclaimer. If I understand the situation and it was me, I'd lower the bucket. It sounds like the return hose is intact. What is likely to happen is that the cylinder exhaust oil will simply go through the return hose to the sump and the bucket would lower normally. That's the way it should work all the time and without even starting the tractor.

I don't think I'd like to work around a tractor with a loaded bucket raised. It's too easy to forget and walk under the bucket. Pretty easy for someone else as well. In addition, I think that the bucket drop if the valve is moved to power, but would stay in place if the valve were moved to lift. Most, if not all, SCV assemblies have check valves in the inlet sections to prevent back-flow due to ruptured hoses or pump failures. I wouldn’t want to depend on that assumption though.

All in all, it sounds like it's a pretty good result even if it's the old 20-minute job and pick it up the next day trick. When I'm putting hydraulic fittings back together, I use a liquid sealer that's specifically for hydraulic use. Teflon tape also works, but I prefer the liquid. However, it’s good to use either liquid or tape only on the upper half or less of the male fitting threads. In somewhat sloppy fittings, the lower few threads of the male fitting extend into the oil stream. Tape can break off, or solidified liquid come free, and lodge in valve orifices etc.

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-21          37682

I forgot to say that a bucket can drop like a rock or the bucket dump if a cylinder hose rather than the high pressure hose ruptures. Cylinder hoses are behind check valves in the SCV, and cylinders can't have check valves since oil has to flow in both directions. ....

View my Photos
Morgan

2002-04-21          37686

When I got to the Kubota today the FEL was down and the bucket was on the ground. I guess it lowered slowly overnight.

I hate Sundays. The only day you can't buy anything, like HOSES!

We had an earthquake yesterday, a 5.1 on the Rickter Scale. Shook me out of bed, the epicenter was in Plattsburgh, NY. It did damage up there, down here it just woke everybody up early. ....

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-04-21          37690

jeez....earthquakes, waken up out of bed, loaders dropping overnight, sounds like the hose busting was the best part of your day.... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login