Go Bottom Go Bottom

tires mower

View my Photos
dave barth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-09          29103

still haven't taken the plunge yet but decided on the 7500 instead of the BX2200.should i get turf tires or bar turf? how hard is it to remove the mid mount deck for blade sharpening & other maint. i have price of 17,250 for B7500hsd tractor, 302 loader,60" mid mower,& front mount snow blower, any feedback on price?thanks again!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tires mower

View my Photos
Dane

2001-06-10          29119

What will you be doing most? You cannot beat the turf tires for mowing and they give surprisingly good traction on packed dirt or clay. Ag tires and R4s are not good at all for mowing. You can bush hog a field, but don't take them on the nice grass around the house, especially after a rain. If you mostly mow, but still want the loader, get the turf tires and make a nice weight for your 3pt hitch (see Mike Simpson's counterweight under the heading "counterweight for tc21d"). The weight makes a big difference when using the loader and is almost required for safety (without weight on the back the loader can easily pick up the rear end of the tractor). Drop the loader and weight when you are mowing to reduce your ground pressure and save the lawn. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2001-06-10          29129

I own a B7500 with hydrostatic transmission, 54" belly mower, and the 272 loader. I use the tractor for mowing more than I use it for loader work, but that doesn't meant that I don't do alot of loader work... just that I have alot of yard. I have to disagree with the previous post about the industrail R4 tread... I have them on my tractor, and have absolutely no problem mowing at all with them, and they are invaluable for doing loader work, and I imaging in your case, they will be invaluable for snow blowing. Turf tires without chains are completely helpless in snow. As long as you are not in 4wd, and the ground is not real wet, you will get no marking whatsoever. You can even mow in the morning when the grass is wet from dew, and you won't tear up the turf. Notice I said when the grass is wet from due... not when the ground is wet from rain... that is a different story... any tire is going to scuff when the soil is on the verge of being muddy. Actually, when the grass is dewy, I found that the R4 tires are better then turf tires... you have more of a chance of accidently spinning out on the wet grass with the turf tires than the R4's. As far as ease of attaching and removing the mower deck... it's a cinch especially with the loader. Just unhook the deck, raise the front wheels off the ground with the loader, and slide the deck out. Same goes for attaching the deck too. The decks are built sturdy, and there is a weight factor involved in getting them lifted vertical to remove the blades for sharpening... I use the loader to lift them... And as far as price is concerned... I bought mine last september and paid a total of 13,000 even for tractor, belly mower, loader, and R4 treads, plus tax. I agree that you will need some balast when doing loader work. I had my rear tires filled with calcium and that is all the balast I have ever needed. The hydraulics don't really have enough power to throw the tractor around to begin with, and the 400 extra lbs in the rear tires sticks the tractor to the ground like glue.. without the hassle of attaching and removing a balast box everytime you use the loader. And finally... it's a great little tractor, and you won't ever second guess purchase. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-06-10          29132

Just wanted to make things a little muddier here. As far as the different tire types go, it seems that there are a good number of people who have had luck finish mowing with R4 and even Ag tires, so I would agree with Duane on that one. It seems like it comes down to the type of soil you have and how rough your lawn may be (pasture-like v. lawn-like). As far as the snow issue, I have to totally disagree with the statement about turf tires being useless in snow. I pushed plenty of snow around with my 4wd B2410 w/ turf tires last Winter and it worked very well. Many people have commented that R4 tires may be the poorest of the three tire types in snow - most agree that the Ag tires are the best, but that in extreme conditions and/or ice you will need chains with any type of tire. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-06-11          29141

Duane, I'm with Rob here on the turfs in snow issue. My turfs worked great in alot of snow last year without chains. You let the pressure down a little and they are great. I think they hold better on icy surfaces than ags or R4s. I have R4s on the front right now with turfs on the rear, but come winter the turfs will go back up front. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-11          29147

Me too. I've got turfs, no chains and heavy snows. The traction is fine on frozen grqvel for blowing and some pushing around and stacking with the loader. However, if I were plowing, I probably would want chains. Of course, I'd probably want chains irrespective of the tire. I've heard people say that turfs are better on ice than ag's. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2001-06-11          29156

OK... let me try and save a little face here. I reckon that turf tires do fine in nice powdery snow, especially with a blower. If you think of a snow tire for a car, you generally think of a tire with small ragged grooves much like a turf tire. I don't know what type of snow you all are used to, but my experience has been mainly with very wet snow, in which the R4 tires seem to work a little better than the turf. But that is just my opinion... variances in how each of us use our tractors can account for different preferred tastes in tractor accessories. No argument that chains make all the difference in the world regardless of tire type. I would also like to say that I am not implying that R4 tires are better for mowing than turf tires... to say such a thing would be insane... it is my opinion, however, that if used with a little care, R4 tires do a real nice job. My yard is rather nice looking, and does not have the "pasture look" that Rob talked about. I chose the R4 tires for an all around good usable tire regardless of what the task at hand is. I tend to do alot of loader work in wet sometimes muddy clay... nasty stuff... so the turf tires were definitely not the way to go, and Ag tires would definitetly be bad for the yard... hence I comprimised with the R4's. I suppose that one day when I get all done landscaping around my place, and no longer really have to work the tractor in adverse conditions, a set of turfs might be considered. I apologize for sounding like a "know it all" if that is how I came across... it was not my intention... I simply didn't bother to explain my circumstances, which I now realize is the most important factor in choosing tractor accessories. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-06-11          29158

Agreed, Duane. I think that we must match the equipment to our own conditions and judge for ourselves from there. I moved snow only about 3-4 times last year, since I got my tractor in February, and I used the loader which I know isn't the best way, but things worked out OK for me. I had to chuckle about your comment about nice powdery snow. I live in CT and it seems that from February 1 or so on what we get just about amounts to slush falling from the sky - it is some messy stuff! I also didn't mean to imply that your lawn is a pasture, sorry if I did. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2001-06-11          29168

I like to think that we are all friends here at the ctb, lord knows I have gotten alot of good advice from people here. I think sometimes I get so thrilled with my little tractor, that I just want everyone to know how wonderful it is. That sounds a little corny, but 10 months after the purchase, I am still giddy when I get play on it. And about the snow... I'd say we both know a little bit about that junk. I live just below lake erie in PA... right in the snow belt... we get dumped on time and time again... slush, snow, sleet, ice, etc... you know, I was thinking about you fellas comments about the turf tires in the snow, and I think I figured out why my R4's did a little better than my Dad's Turf tires on his new holland... he had no balast!! I never even took that into consideration. Silly me. Both of us use loaders to move snow... but I have 400lbs of calcium in the rear tires, and I can move snow with alot less trouble than he can. I guess I should think things thru before I go spouting off eh? ANYWAYS... sorry for any misunderstanding... yah learn something new everyday I guess. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-12          29174

Duane: I've considered the R4 compromise since we have pastures that we call lawns and finish mow. I'm not too concerned about the lawn. I believe R4's would provide more traction on dirt than my turf's. I am a bit traction challenged sometimes with my 6' box scraper, and the turfs are also a bit worn. I haven't considered enough to find out if R4's are available for my Ford or if different wheels are required, but it's on the agenda. However, I understand that R4's ride rough, and I'm wondering how they'd be on the 10 mile highway trips I make to our camp. If you have experience roading on R4's maybe you could comment. Another reason for R4's is avoiding flat tires, which I've never had. Some people who work around thorn trees swear by R4's. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2001-06-12          29202

Well TomG, I don't know if you would consider it "roading" or not, but about once every 2 weeks or so, I take the tractor down to the car wash about a mile away... all I can say is that it rides like a tractor. I have had my dads Ford with the turf tires on the road maybe once or twice driving it over to my place... about a 5 mile trip... it too rides like a tractor, and I really couldn't tell you if there was a difference between the two or not. It makes sense that the turf tires would ride a little smoother since they have sort of a rounded shape and probably compress a little better when you hit a bump... the R4's are definitely more rigid. I have some experience with box scrapers and tractor tires too... and the R4's do grab better... quite a bit better. My dad's ford is a 1715, so it is a bit bigger than my B7500... but it seems that with the R4 tires and loaded rear tires, my tractor pulls the scraper a little better. Remember however, that my dad's tractor does not have calcium in the tires... that would make a difference... but... the 1715 is heavier too... so who knows. My father also has R4's on an L35 Kubota... he swears by them. He has another ford 1715 with a backhoe and loader that has ag tires on it... they are wearing alot faster than the R4's on the Kubota, and the kubota gets used alot more too... and used for alot heavier work as well. I am going to stick to my guns and say that R4's are a pretty good all around tire... I have had alot of luck with them, and unless I was strictly going to mow with my tractor, I would have no other type of tread. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-06-12          29208

Duane, no way did I think you sounded like a "know it all". We all just have different experiences and opinions, and some folks (like me) have strong opinions. I love this board and wouldn't want contributors to be too intimidated to speak their mind, even I disagree with them 100%. BTW, I agree with your theory that the ballast maybe makes a bigger difference than the tires. I said that my turf tires were great in snow, but I also had about 1500# of backhoe hanging off the rear end, and that is some serious ballast. I'll probably go out next winter with just a 600# ballast box and be swearing to kingdom come. And if not for my lawn mowing I would have opted for R4s also. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
dave barth

2001-06-13          29225

didn't think i'd start such a controversy! with all the tire talk nobody commented on price, any input? ....

tires mower

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-13          29227

Wish I could comment on price, but I've got to find out too. I will comment that I'm with Jeff. No controversy here. Communicating through these forums just isn't as good as the real thing. People talking to each other understand each other better than people talking through keyboards. On the other hand, I just don't have a bunch of experts in various areas I can sit down and talk with over the breakfast table. This forum is what I've got. What is important here is that people can feel free to express their opinions without feeling dumped on. I think this Board does a real good job of that. Myself, I have no formal education or long experience with tractors. I spend a lot of time and words trying to fill in the blanks that education and experience would have completed. I am just happy I can make my comments here and not feel dumped on as a result. Hope everybody else feels that as well. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
Duane Pearl

2001-06-13          29242

Dave, please refer to my first post.. in it, I talked about price. ....

tires mower

View my Photos
Mark

2001-06-20          29459

Dave - About 6 months ago a bought a B7500 HSD with loaded R4 tires, 302 loader, 60" belly mower and 12" auger for $9900, $2600, $2000, and $700 respectively. I shopped around a good bit and this was the best deal I could find here in Virginia. The others were between $500 and $1500 more. As far as the deck goes, I leave it on for just about everything. I've taken it off twice so far, and while I wouldn't want to do it every afternoon, it's not so bad. I've had no trouble with the R4's on my lawn or in my field. The only time they leave any real marks is when the ground is very wet. I also find that if I turn on a slope (a slight slope) or turn in 4WD they might tear up the grass a bit. In any case, the marks are usually gone in 24 hours. For me, the R4's are definately worth it when I'm using the loade in the wet Virginia clay. Good luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login