Go Bottom Go Bottom

features

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-19          21618

Does anyone here know the differences between the 2710 and 2910 besides HP? I think the 2710 may suit my needs. I am unsure of the price difference as well, maybe $1000.oo? I also noticed a few new ergonomic offerings from Kubota, are they available on both models? Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

features

View my Photos
Bird Senter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-19          21619

cutter, besides the horsepower difference, the B2910 has a better suspension seat, telescoping lower links on the 3-point, tilt (and I believe telescoping) steering wheel, and an extra hand lever that provides a better "cruise control." I've only read on the discussion board that the price difference is between $600 and $1,000. ....

features

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-19          21620

Thanks, Bird Senter. Are the tractors the same physical size and weight? It is impossible to tell from the Carver or Kubota Sites. ....

features

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-11-19          21621

Cutter, they're the same physical size, i.e, frame or chassis, tires, wheels, in fact most parts are interchangeable apparently, but I'm not sure if that slightly larger displacement engine in the B2910 makes it just a tiny bit heavier or not; I would guess there would be a few pounds difference, but not much. ....

features

View my Photos
Elkoboy

2000-11-19          21624

You might want to think twice about saving the $1000 bucks or so. From my understanding the telescoping/adjustable lower link arms alone are worth almost that difference in price and IMHO worth it (they make changing 3 PT stuff a breeze). Other than that Bird Senter has the other features listed. The B2910 is a great tractor BTW - LOVE mine! ....

features

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-19          21627

Thanks to Elkoboy and Bird Senter! Any experience with snow blowers? I am hedging on what to do. Three point would be interchangeable between tractors but a pain to back up all the time. Front mount is very expensive and not interchangeable (if I decide to trade next year rather than now). Is the hydraulic chute a big plus? What brands are reasonable and have large skid shoes? Also,I have seen a loader mounted blade (sold locally for around $2500). ....

features

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-11-19          21628

Hey!, don't forget the ratchet type 3Pt adjuster. I asked my dealer to throw in the 2910's adjuster on my 2710 and he said no problem. The other stuff just didn't look worth the extra $$$. The Kubota brochure says 23Lbs more for the 2910. FYI a BL2560 front blower 3 years old sold for $500 at a local auction. Great price but I woulda had to buy all new brackets to get it on my B2710. Check-out http://www.aldermans.com/ They had great pricing when I was looking, Good luck. ....

Link:   Aldermans

features

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-20          21635

There's quite a bit of discussion about snow blowers in the archives you might find useful. I use a 3ph blower, and I think that driving backwards is more of a problem thinking about it than doing it. Driving backwards just doesn’t bother me. In addition, a 3ph blower has more advantages than just price. With a 3ph blower, you have the blower and loader ready to use, without changing anything. I can't do all my snow removal with the blower alone, and I'd drive backwards all day rather than change equipment during the winter. I do have a gear transmission with four reverses. A HST with several ranges probably would give OK ground speed control, but I'm not sure a gear transmission with only two reverses would be desirable. Keep in mind that the engine has to be run at PTO rpm for the blower to work well, so you can't change engine rmp much to get a desired ground speed. A 3ph blower also provides better steering a front mount. Steering can be a problem, especially with front blades. And, the 3ph blower makes for an instant 550# of rear ballast when I pick it up to use the loader. Without the blower, I'd probably have to carry a ballast box all winter to get enough traction. A hydraulic chute is a must for me since I can’t blow the same direction along the whole drive, irrespective of wind direction. I also need very good chute control since I have to clear a highway entrance. I have to be able to keep the snow blowing in the ditch as I make the turns on to the highway shoulder. I also can’t allow wind to carry snow from the blower back across the highway. ....

features

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-20          21640

Tom,
I did check those postings, and opinions are all over the place. I'm on vac. this week, so I will make a run to several implement places and look at features. How does the selection valve mount? Is it something like a two into one fitting with an internal direction valve? What do they cost? I think unless I trade this fall(which I will do if the price is right) , I will go with the 3pt machine. You have it right about the loader being there when needed, although my driveway is only 200' with a large parking area. I plan on building a barn next year that will add another 3-5ooft. to it, and since it is a field road, a blower would be much less damaging than a rear blade or loader (current implements). I have a stone driveway and will probably have to set it high until it freezes. The stone is the one thing holding me back, I don't want them all over my lawn and with a blade, I can push everything across the road or onto my field road. I will look for shoes with substancial adjustment and width. I have the "round" assorted size landscape stone as a topping, I have picked the large stuf out and rolled it every year, so it is pretty well packed in, but not always real even. Any experiences with this using the blower? Thanks, Cutter. ....

features

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-21          21659

Cutter: My hydraulic connection was simple. The control valve assembly contains three sections--two for the loader and one for a rear hydraulic pair. The blower and other 3ph implements with hydraulics use the rear pair. I haven't done it, but I believe that adding another rear pair could be fairly simple. Additional control valve sections are available for some valve assemblies. Places like Northern Hydraulics sell components for 'do it yourselfers,' or a dealer should be able to come up with a package. However, the factory packages, often recommended by dealers, can be pricey. Most compact tractors have open centred hydraulics. External remotes (for loaders etc.) are hooked in series with the line running from the relief valve to the sump. The 3ph also is in this line. However, you do need a pair under control of a spooling valve to run any double action hydraulic cylinder. T-fittings wouldn't work.

In terms of blower use, my drive is gravel (a mixture of small stone and sand). It packs well and it freezes. After the gravel freezes, I simply put the 3ph lever all the way down so the blower 'floats.' Before freeze-up, I try not to use the blower. It has standard skids that sink into the surface. That creates showers of gravel into the yard. I can't get very close to the surface even holding the blower off the ground. The churn of snow in front of the auger blade picks up gravel. Each time the front wheels go up a hill or bump, the blower lowers. It works best for me if I use the loader bucket until freeze-up and just hope there isn't a heavy snow before then. The bucket can be curled back and floated so it rides on its bottom. That method does minimum damage to the drive and doesn't pick up much gravel. It also cleans the surface of anything large enough to jam an auger and break a shear pin. However, a loader doesn't work too well for a heavy snow. If there was a heavy snow before freeze-up, I'd use the blower up high to knock the snow down to a level that is manageable with the loader.

features

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-21          21675

Tom, Thank you for that detailed answer. I will have to do some research on the hydraulics. I found a hardly used 5', two stage blower with hydraulic chute and dual augers for $1500.00. does that sound reasonable or too high for used? ....

features

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-22          21699

Price comparisons are always difficult, especially since I'm in Canada. Prices here may not mean much elsewhere. For what it's worth, I've got a 5' 2 stage (one auger and one fan) with hydraulic chute & PTO shaft new for $1500CAN. However, the blower you're looking at may be a better quality. It's really tough to say. ....

features

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-22          21701

Tom, I can't remember the brand name. It looked like a very sturdy rig, including the large round skid shoes. However, it is used. It is white in color and as I said, has twin augers. It was a front mount for perhaps a Massey or Cub and once the frame is removed, it is a three point machine. I may just try an offset rear blade with shoes first. A heavy one around here is $500. I can't believe the price you were able to get on your blower! ....

features

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-23          21724

The brand of mine is Meteor. I hadn't heard of the brand and figured it was just a name stuck on something made by a large welding shop. Recently, somebody else mentioned the brand, so I guess they're at least a bit established. I believe they are Canadian made. I don't think of the blower as super quality, but it has got the job done--even if the snow here last winter wasn't much of a test. The price did seem pretty good.

BTW, I'm equally surprised if you can get a decent offset blade (also with tilts, angles etc. guess) for $500. If I got a blade, the ones I want cost as much as the blower.

Here's a critical point. A front mounted blower may be not designed to turn the right direction or speed for a 540-rpm rear PTO. Some rear mounted blowers also aren't 540 machines. A dealer should know if the blower would work on your 3ph & PTO, but it's a thing that should be checked. A 1000-rpm blower just doesn't blow snow if it's run at 540, and it sure doesn't if it's turning backwards.

features

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-23          21732

Tom, That would be a Bush Hog brand at a local dealer. Around 400#. ....

features

View my Photos
Gary Anderson

2000-11-23          21736

Tom & Cutter, I bought a blower for the 3pt early this fall called an Allied, i think it is also made in Canada, I have not used it yet so don't know how it will do but it has a manuel chute which I may regrete. Does anyone know anything about these blowers? Gary ....

features

View my Photos
Murf

2000-11-23          21740

Gary, Allied is in fact a Canadian brand, and a very well respected one at that too. They also make Allied brand loaders as well as the Farm King line of products. I have used their equipment commercially for years with no real problems, either breakage, or quality. Besides that they have a super Tech. Dept. who are ALWAYS ready to help out and will in fact (and have several times) incorporate user's suggestions into production modifications. I am confident you will be very happy with it. The power Chute is an easy upgrade you can do yourself, either electrically or hydraulically activated. We do our own conversions to power for about $150 per unit. Best of luck. ....

features

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-24          21749

Murf, Gary:

I wanted to pass along my bookmark for the Farm King site, but it didn't work. The new bookmark is: http://www.buhler.com/sitefiles/index1.htm. Looks like Buhler, which I believe is a European company, acquired Farm King. Farm King and Allied equipment are featured on the Canadian page, so the new corporation probably intends to preserve these products.

I have both Allied and Farm King equipment and have no complaints. A query to their tech support actually was answered by a design engineer who included a scanned picture of an engineering drawing. In the future, I hope I'm dealing with the same people--just a new company name. ....

features

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-24          21754

Tom, Buhler tractors are N/H on the web site link you posted. Who owns what? The history given implies that farm king, N/H and a bunch of others are Buhler. Is that the "case"? ....

features

View my Photos
Murf

2000-11-24          21758

It is my understanding from talking to the 'Boys' at the factory, that in fact what happened was a 'strategic alliance' was formed. The man behind Allied / Farm King is very smart fellow (2nd or 3rd generation in the business) who realized how big a market Europe was, so he joined forces with a German equip. manufacturer, he distributes their 'tractors' they manufacture (under lic.) and distribute his product line throught Europe. The loaders are first rate items, I 'test drove' one at a show here this fall, absolutely blew me away, the attention to detail, and the thought that has gone into them is fantastic. ....

features

View my Photos
Gary Anderson

2000-11-25          21817

Thanks Murf, I will book mark it for future info. gary ....

features

View my Photos
Art White

2000-11-27          21860

On the use of a three point snowblower. Often they have the skids mounted on the back of the auger housing. It is not the best for sensing the driveway changes on the front of the machine but what we've found to cure that is to shorten the top link of the hitch some allowing the blower to lean back towards the tractor. When doing that it will allow you to build a base without need to worry where your driveway stone went in the spring. Depending on driveway to house conditions a powered rotater as well as deflecter can be a advantage. ....

features

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-28          21884

It's the second time lately I've heard of powered deflectors. I have the sense that they are some kind of electrical stepping motor. I have a hydraulic chute, and it sounds like a power deflector might. Maybe I could run one off the circuit I'm going to wire for lights on the blower itself.

It's good advice about shortening the top link. I've got skids under the fan housing as well as under the auger blade. They still sink in, but a short top link gets me going with the blower as long as the gravel is a little frozen. However, I do try to scrape off any loose gravel with the loader bucket (floated and curled back) before using the blower. Right now, the top link is about as short as it goes.

features

View my Photos
Art White

2000-11-28          21894

Tom the deflectors power on some blowers is hydraulic and some are electric. They both do the job and make snow removal easier like having to blow into the wind and you just lower the cap to keep from getting covered. ....

features

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-28          21902

Tom G., Where in Canada did you buy that new blower w/hyd. chute for $1500 Canadian? I can't come close to that here in US dollars! Could you pass along a dealer's name or a brand? I go there frequently and can haul one back. thanks ....

features

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-29          21913

Rath Farm Equipment, a NH dealer in Arnprior, Ontario (http://magi.com/~rathfarm/). I may have mentioned that the brand name is 'Meteor,' and the PTO shaft and hydraulic chute were included. I should note that the blower was purchased as part of the original tractor deal. There is a possibility that Rath cut the blower price a bit to make the whole package more attractive. ....

features

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-29          21939

Yes Tom, you did mention the name before, sorry. The link is great. I went to the site and looked at one. $1695.Canadian, not bad. I them sent a note. Thank you! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login