Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota L3200 Tractor Stump Removal

View my Photos
Copperdog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-12-20          181707

My first tractor and have a lot to learn.
Does anyone have experience with a similar size unit working on removing tree stumps? My unit will have a front loader and rear box grader. Is it really feasible to do some stump removal with this unit. Would appreciate some advice. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-20          181710

Stumps are better handled with a Bulldozer or Track Hoe. A compact tractor with a backhoe could dig out a stump but it will take quite a bit of time based on the size of the stump, whereas Bulldozer would make quick work of it. A Bulldozer can do in a day what might take months with a tractor with a backhoe. Plus it will beat up the tractor.

Its better to hire out the hard stuff and then use the tractor for what it is good at.

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-21          181713

The L3200 will take care of the stumps just fine -- if it has a grinder on the back. Otherwise rent a gas one. ....

View my Photos
Copperdog

2011-12-21          181714

Thanks for the input.... that is what I thought. Didn't want to spend the extra money for a back hoe. Will look into renting something. Thanks, John ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-12-21          181715

I use a big skid steer with pallet forks to remove stumps of all sizes. I prefer a full size backhoe though. A comparable size excavator or as Dennis (sorry Dennis : ) , albeit incorrectly) calls a trackhoe is good too. Least favorite is a dozer since it makes a mess and too big of hole. Timewise a backhoe is quicker, and you can use the loader bucket to push the old stumps in a pile and refill the hole. Excavators have dozer blades but it is tedious and takes much longer to refill the hole, and you can't necessarily transport stumps easily. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-12-21          181716

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwks | view 181715
...A comparable size excavator or as Dennis (sorry Dennis : ) , albeit incorrectly) calls a trackhoe is good too

Hey EW I am in good company calling an Excavator a Trackhoe check this video LOL

When I had a couple of wooded acres cleared I hired a guy with an excavator and bulldozer, he removed the stumps with the excavator, pushed them into a pile with the bulldozer, then let them sit for several months, then he took the Track hoe with a grapple attachment to take the stumps from the pile, shake the loose dirt and load them on tractor trailer.

Link:   Track hoe Multipurpose

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-21          181717

First question and don't see it answered, how big are the stumps? Then we can talk about what equipment is best suited. I have with a larger tractor used box blade only to pull quite a few stumps. Note they were no more than 6 inches or so in diameter. Learned to back into them first pushing them as much as possible and then pick box blade clear and back it over them to where you could now pull them. With blade engaged and slow pull to also raise the lift. Popped a good many small stumps out that way. Now if a 2 foot stump, good size excavator or track hoe or what ever called locally.

Depending on the stumps you might could run the rippers around them and cutting some of the roots get still little larger roots.

My experience with FEL is limited but would suggest being careful with it as they can be damaged doing such.

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-12-23          181732

You can always spot a CUT who used the FEL to dig stumps: the bucket looks like it's smiling. FEL buckets are not for digging--just moving duties like manure or loose dirt or stones, etc.
(Kenny would say "lose" dirt) good ol' Kenny. Jis' sayin' ya'll ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-12-23          181734

You're both wrong, they always been called "Swing Hoes" on this part of the earth.
I never knew that Massey Ferguson built, or had one built for them a "Swing Hoe" till the neighbor bought one real cheap. It was sitting in a sale yard with one track off the drive sproket, he bought it as is where is. Things went mostly downhill from there, the tracks weren't the only things worn out. I never knew for sure what he did with it, "Swing Hoe" Heaven, I think.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-12-23          181735

Only in Iowa would they call it a swing hoe. You win Frankyboy! (If it makes you feel betta) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-24          181740

I wonder if the OP is still reading this? Seems his stopped commenting a while back. ....

View my Photos
billtreat

2012-01-10          181975

dont forget to cut the roots sometimes they are pretty big,back hoe sounds good ....

View my Photos
Copperdog

2012-01-11          181986

Well most of the comments made are accurate. I am working on the stumps and the result was that after digging around the stump with my loader, i cut as many of the off shoot roots from the stump as I could. The smaller stump I was able to remove but the larger one I just cut the top part so that it will be below the surface. When it rots I will go back and take it out. Thanks for all the comments.
Now I have to learn to use my box grader properly to smooth the surface. ....

View my Photos
earthwks

2012-01-11          181996

What comments don't you agree with? ....

View my Photos
JParker

2012-02-13          182408

For cleaning up smaller stumps, I bought a sub-soiler.
Photo 8, under JParker or Link. I keep threatening to sharpen the vertical shaft, but haven't really needed to. First cut thru roots on 4 sides, then hook stump. Lift 3 point & drive forward in Low. Lifting 3pt adds traction as well. FEL is for hauling the stumps after pulling, not for pulling. ....

Link:   jparker8

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-02-14          182424

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParker | view 182408
For cleaning up smaller stumps, I bought a sub-soiler.Photo 8, under JParker or Link.I keep threatening to sharpen the vertical shaft, but haven't really needed to.First cut thru roots on 4 sides, then hook stump.Lift 3 point & drive forward in Low.Lifting 3pt adds traction as well.FEL is for ahuling teh stumps after pulling, not for pulling.

FYI the older farm single shank subsoilers did have sharpen vertical edge or at least in my part of the world they did and they would shear a side root right well. Agree with your method. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2012-02-29          182601

agree with Dennis on beating up the tractor pulling stumps w/backhoe on a CUT---have been known to spend a day or two on one stump! ....

View my Photos
billtreat

2012-02-29          182603

I have a L3410 and it does just fine with a 3pt backhoe on it, it goes to the frame for support. Be careful with the bucket it can be bent. Think about adding a 2x2piece of steel on top of it for support. Be sure to cut the roots. Just takes time. Dont hurry. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login