Go Bottom Go Bottom

RC72-27B Grease nipple size

View my Photos
7800marathon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-05-18          170906

I had a broken grease nipple on the right side belt pulley of my mower deck, the threads are chewed a bit, but would probably rethread if cleaned out with the proper size tap first, AND provided I could even find the right grease nipple size with which to replace it.

Exploded parts views are not free apparently, and a search for the correct size, or part number has proved fruitless.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated, I'm developing elephant grass!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-05-18          170907

It's metric!! ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-05-19          170917

Bring one of the zerks to an auto-supply store, and buy a box of them. You might find that the 45- or 90-degree version is more convenient in some locations. Check you have the right wrench, likely something like a 7mm.

Zerks can get plugged, so it's good to replace them every decade or so -- unless you're lubing every few days or you can see the old grease being pushed out. With a spindle you can't tell if grease is going in, so I'd replace them all. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-05-19          170920

auerbach, your last line is why I only grease spindles with hand grease gun as you can tell if it is pushing grease or not while my air powered you can not. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-05-19          170925

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 170920
... my air powered you can not.

I only have a manual grease gun with a flex hose extension that I have had since I was in college, I have a compressor, is the air powered grease gun a big benefit or a nuisance for occasional use? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-05-19          170928

My Dad had an air powered grease gun when he ran the gas station, the grease was in a sort of metal keg like about 15 gallon, maybe. I don't know if it had more pressure than a hand gun or if it was just more convenient than a hand gun.
Some of the neighbor farmers have the new battery powered hand grease guns, I've never used one of those either. I still use the regular old hand lever powered gun with a rubber hose. I don't know how much pressure one of those can produce, but I'd think more than we realize. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-05-19          170935

Pros and cons with both.

With manual, especially with a flex hose, you need one hand to hold the coupler onto the zerk, another to hold the gun, and a third to operate the handle. With air, two hands is enough.

As KT says, with manual you have a better feel for the grease going in (and whether the gun's empty). ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-05-20          170940

Dennis I like the air powered one when greasing a lot on bearings the grease can be seen coming out of. Sealed bearings I don't as at least mine (a Sears gun not sure who makes it) makes the same pumping sound regardless if pumping grease or not. Also some bearings are to have such as 3 pumps and the control is not there with the air gun. There are also the battery models that many in the field use. The top of the line is suppose to be the Lincoln brand but the last I looked they begin about $100 which was about 4 years back. I certain can grease much faster with the air gun. Of course there is the hose but also you have one hand to pull trigger and the other to place the flexible hose (what I use on all both types of guns). I don't get as greasy using the air gun due to not having near as much issue with it popping off of the fitting or having to hold the hose at times and lay the hand gun on what is being greased to pump it.

As a side note found best storage for grease guns for my shop to be a large plastic bucket (maybe 5 gallon) as I hang them on the side with the gun inside the bucket. Any drips are in the bucket and not on the floor. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-05-20          170942

If you look into the end of most grease gun hose/pipe tips you see three little gripper dodads that clamp onto the zerk when you are usng it. They do after lots of use get weak and just don't stay on anymore without holding them.
Someone makes a tip with four of five little gripper dodads that hang on lots tighter. I had some once but probably couldn't find them now. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-05-20          170943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 170942
If you look into the end of most grease gun hose/pipe tips you see three little gripper dodads that clamp onto the zerk when you are usng it. They do after lots of use get weak and just don't stay on anymore without holding them......

Hmmmmm that's interesting Hardwood mine is ancient, and I never thought of them wearing out as I have hold it on the zerks most of the time!

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-05-20          170953

As to the grease gun holding on some are adjustable on that but I keep finding the size of the grease fitting varies enough one will be real tight and another loose. It could be due to being a "cheap" nozzle and not the fittings. Also the back pressure you are pumping into has some affect on the nozzle staying in place.

But with a powered grease gun I seldom end up with grease on the hand holding the gun and little on the other where as with manual grease gun on my excavator (not near air source) I just about both hands fully greased. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-05-20          170954

Ken,

I was thinking the opposite would be the case as with the added pressure lots more grease would be flowing. Interesting I may have to look into the air version.

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
7800marathon

2010-05-20          170965

Thanks to any and all for help.
The grease nipple size is 8mm for the center and right pulleys, I also have a 10mm in case I need to start over with a tap. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-05-20          170970

I use an rechargeable electric grease gun made by Lincoln. Got it free (cost $200) just for allowing a sales pitch to listen about a fully automatic system that gets plumbed to all the grease fittings. Has a reservoir and an automatically timed pump that supplies grease when you want it like after shut down. It was pricey too--I forget---$2000 I think. On a skid steer it's not practical, but on an excavator it is. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-05-21          170979

Jeff, do you need my shipping address? I don't mind buying you a "practical" manual one for your skid steer. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-05-21          170980

Centralized greasing systems were around back in the late 50's for IHC two row tractor mounted ear corn pickers.

They had a LOT of zerks that needed daily greasing. I don't remember ever timing it but I'm sure the better part of an hour was comsumed, you were on top, underneath, inside, and every possible place to do the whole daily lube job.

Someone came along with a "Grease Bank" system where in several different places on the machine a "Bank" of several zerks were in a row and hoses went to the bearings from there, that was a big help.

Then a bit later and this may have been a factory thing I don't remember they had the hoses go to a central resirvoir that you filled with a special lighter weight grease hhat would flow thru all the hoses more easily. On the top of the resirvors was a plunger you pushed down with your hand to force grease to all the bearings. I often wondered if the shorter hose bearings got more grease than the longger hose bearings??

We had the regular grease bank kit on ours but never had the newer pumper style, so I don't know how well they worked out. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-05-21          170984

Frank as long as the pressure (resistance) is the same at each nipple which it likely would be, and the plumbing doesn't expand which it normally would not, just like hydraulics volume/pressure in, volume/pressure out. Also, the automatic pump disperses to each line as it's designed, not like a manifold where the high resistance one doesn't get fed.

Kenny---trust me I have your address. To be sure it's One Redneck Holla, trailer number 2, Horey Cty, SC, right? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-05-21          170985

EW: This was a long time ago but my memory of the hand pumper system is that it was a manifold type, not a seperate plunger for each hose, and so my question of the most resistant bearing/or longest hose getting it's equal share.
Perhaps Art can sharpen my memory a bit, I'm sure he dealt with them too. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-05-21          170986

Jeff, I said my address, figured even you knew your own. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-05-21          170992

Frank Art is much much younger than you isn't he?

Git yer helmet 'cause it's gonna hirt! ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-24          171790

My old manual gun had a lever, needing one hand for the gun, one for the lever. So the outflow tube couldn't be flexible or it could come off the zerk.

Just got a trigger-action one. One hand holds the gun and operates the trigger, the other's free for pressing onto the zerk.

But the new coupler that grabbed the zerk-head wouldn't release, and trying to get the gun off I ripped the zerk out. Can't win.

Speaking of which, did you hear what Mrs. Zerk said to her hubby? "Oscar, stop messing around with that grease stuff. You think that's gonna make your name famous?" ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-06-24          171791

Auerbach, you probably can adjust the size or how tight your grease gun grabs onto the fittings. At least some of mine you can do so by hand turning the end of the fitting on the gun.

At same time I have found if there is a lot back pressure on the grease gun it locks on the Zerk fitting. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-24          171792

Auer;
The only job I ever had where I actually drew a paycheck was the summer of 1960 just out of high school. I got a job in a quarry and was given the "Position" of being the greasermans assistant, guess who got the most greasy.
Some of the machines had a grease fittings unlike I've ever saw since. The end of the fitting where we're used to seeing a nipple was flat, about a half inch in diamater with a small hole in the center with a spring loaded ball in the hole to keep the dirt out. The corresponding other half of the fitting was on the hose of the gun, it slipped over the flat and had a flange that locked under the edge of the fitting, it coulkdn't come off till you pushed it away from you to take it off. This may be a common thing to big machines, I don't know, but never saw one like it again. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login