Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
rwetherb
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-08-23          165194

Am a first time tractor buyer and am looking at a Kubota L3240, a MF 1533 and a JD3320. Have 6 acres to mow and maintain along with a 700 ft gravel drive and a garden plot. The Kubota dealer emphasized machine quality and resale, the MF dealer has been around for over 20 years and the 1533 seems to be a good machine. The JD dealer talked about the 3320 but didn't have one to show. I've heard that the JD has parts from all over kinda like a Dell computer. I'm more of a quality person and want to purchase something I can hand down to my children to use. My wife will also be using the tractor to mow grass. Kinda confused about the Kubota GST and HST transmissions. Any thoughts on these models and pointers for a first time buyer? Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-23          165195

RW,

Welcome! You will find this is a great site to learn everything you want to learn about tractors.

My first impression is an L model might be a bit much for mowing 6 acres and maintenance on 700' driveway. Have you looked at the B models?

I don't see where Kubota has ever sold an L 3240 so you may have your model #'s off a bit. In any case an L model is a pretty big tractor for what you need to do and I'm assuming you are looking at something in the 30 HP range. Is there anything else you plan on using the tractor for other than mowing, bladeing a driveway or gardening? You could do all that even with a BX model, but a B model would do nicely.

I would get a Front End Loader (FEL). A FEL is the most versatile and used implement on a CUT. I would also get a box blade for the driveway.

And I would go with HST.....no question. It's easier, faster and much more versatile and especially if your wife will be using the tractor. There are a few folks on this board that like a GST, but the HST is substantially more preferred by most.

As to mfg, all three you mentioned have a good reputable product. Go with the tractor that you like the best as to features etc, but the dealer's reputation is a big factor as well. Go with a dealer that will be around and that has a good rep for service and assistance.

Good Luck!

Brian ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-24          165199

I can add only a little to the above excellent advice.

Tractors are not good for driving a distance for service, so the closer the dealer, the better.

What you heard about Deere is irrelevant. Some models were built for them by Yanmar and others have Yanmar engines, but they are fully as good as the others. (All tractors subcontract some of their parts. Even Kubota, which brags it makes everything itself, doesn't make its own gauges, batteries, tires, wiring, etc.)

There are other variables besides brands that actually will make more of a difference. You'll be doing considerable mowing, so what kind of mower? Front, mid, or rear? Gang, reel or flail? What kind of tires? And since it's the attachments that do all the work, what other ones?

Tractors last around five times longer than cars. You should learn how to do basic service yourself, and maybe include a few years' worth of items you can't buy anywhere, notably filters. ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-08-24          165207

As has been said a tractor is only as good as the dealership that sells and services your purchase.
I have no experience with either Kubota or Massey other than their reputations. Whichever is the strongest most reliable dealership within a reasonable distance would make the chioce for me.
I used to have Case IH farm tractors and equipment till their dealerships became too far from me to be a handy supply source. Since then a local, (15 mi.) Deere dealer has did fine by me. Frank. ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
Art White

2009-08-24          165212

I'd actually be looking at the B3030 Kubota. You can still have a 72" belly mower and a smaller tractor for manuverablity. ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
rwetherb

2009-08-24          165231

Thanks for the advice Brian. The Kubota dealer did quote a B7800 as well. The others shown on the work sheet from the dealer were L3240's. ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
rwetherb

2009-08-24          165232

Since I'm new to tractors please explain "gang", "reel", or "flail", thanks! The point about the close proximity of the dealer makes a lot of sense. ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
rwetherb

2009-08-24          165233

Makes sense - how does a B7800 HST compare with the model you suggested...B3030? The Kubota dealer has a B7800 on his lot with a belly mower. Can the 3030 handle a 5 ft. bushhog? Thanks! ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
bvance

2009-08-24          165234

RW,

Kubota has so darned many models, I'm sure you dealer is right....it just isn't listed on Kubota's past model list.

Go to Kubota's website and they have a lot of good information and you can print out all of the specs on any tractor you are interested in and do some good comparisons.

The B3030 has a bit more lift capacity and if you want to use a bush hog, I would probably go with the B3030 over the B7800.

It might be helpful to let us know a bit more about what you are using the tractor and the implements for. You indicated mowing earlier, but if you need to be doing heavy bush hogging, then you very well may be back to an L model. My comments earlier were based on mowing as your primary usage.

Unless your wife is an experienced machinery user, an L is a lot of tractor for her, where she would be very comfortable with a B model.

A B model will handle most 5' bush hogs for light to medium usage, but if you really need to work it over unlevel ground in tough conditions, then as I said, you are probabaly back to an L....which probably eliminates your wife being comfortable with it.

There is a current thread on bush hogs you may want to look at and there was a current thread recently about the different types of mowers that I'm sure you can find.

Take a look at Kubota's site....make sure it is the official Kubota Corporate site and they have a lot good info.

Art sells Kubota's and is an authority on Kubota's and I'm sure he can weigh in on my comments as well.

Good Luck,

Brian ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-08-25          165237

To the person asking about mower types:

For low cutting of large areas of fine turf (think of a golf course) you might want a reel mower. They are usually ground-driven, so the tractor just pulls them. To get more width they are hitched in gangs, usually of 3 or 5.

For normal lawn mowing, you likely want a rotary mower. Here a mower blade or usually 3, sometimes 2, spins around.

For cutting rougher stuff like brush or high grass, you might want a mower that doesn't use a horizontal blade but cutters that spin radially, like a rototiller. The cutters flail around, so it's called a flail mower. Each cutter pivots independently so is less likely to be damaged if it hits a stone or tree-trunk, or can be replaced. ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
rwetherb

2009-08-25          165274

Brian,

We do have some rough ground to bush hog...recently had some ground cleared and still have smaller stumps 3-6" bases that aren't up high enough to damage my Dr. Field Brush Mower which I'm using now. Have a 1/4 acre pond to cut around which has some steep sides and a levee on one end. I'd say we have about 2 acres of lawn mowing and the rest would be bush hog area. We'll keep looking around and talking-don't want to rush into anything. Thanks again for your comments. ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
rwetherb

2009-08-25          165275

Thanks for the explanation - got the JD implement catalog out and found examples of the types you mentioned. I can see that someone can spend a lot of money quickly on all the implements offered. Decisions...Decisions! Thanks! ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
bvance

2009-08-25          165276

RW,

Thanks for the clarification. I have found that no one tractor or implement will be versatile enough for all applications. The best advice I can offer, is determine which applications you will be using your tractor or implement for a majority of time, say 75% and buy that tractor or implement that fits most uses.

For instance, if you need a brush hog for a while to get the rough area beat down and leveled and then plant grass and will be mowing it from then on, buy the tractor that will fit best for mowing, which is probably a B model. It may take you a bit longer to do the brush hogging up front with a B, but you will apprecite having the smaller framed tractor over the long haul. If you will most often be doing heavy duty brush hogging, get the L. But remember, your wife is likely to be intimidated with an L.

And hang around this board, check new and old postings, asking lots of questions and folks on this board will give you lots of great advice....and for free.

Good Luck,

Brian ....

Tractor Shopping

View my Photos
rwetherb

2009-08-26          165298

Brian, thanks for the continued insight. I talked to my neighbor today who bought a Kubota 2800 I believe from the local Kubota dealer. He is really happy with it and it has an HST transmission. His wife cuts their yard and besides her wanting him to take off the loader she's fine with it. He likes the wider footprint especially when he's on his pond's levee and is cutting grass. He has a bigger yard than I do but gave me some more pointers. I'm looking forward to reading and learning from other posts on Tractor Point. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login