Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota BX2200 vs B7500 recomendations

View my Photos
John Sheehan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-19          16428

Thanks to the valuable input from the users of this board, I have narrowed my choices down to the Kubota brand. (which is a pretty big step for me as I have farmed with big Green) I am waivering between the BX2200 and the B7500. Primary use would be finish mowing 2-3 acres of steep hilly ground, and assorted yardwork and landscaping with a loader. I will probably use the unit to maintain a 1/2 - 3/4 acre garden with a little plow or a rototiller, disk, drag, ....etc. Some snow removal in the winter. I believe that the 2200 will do most of what I want, but will I be disappointed in doing the little bit of 'field work' that I am going to do in the garden? The 2200 seems a bit light for the hp for some of this work? Ok, what it boils down to is I really like the 7500, but my wife ask what justifies the added price for about the same hp? Good question. Has anyone have any opinions out there? I would really appreciate it hearing from you.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-19          16432

Tough choices, John. I guess you've driven both of them. If so, I'd say buy the one that's most comfortable if you're going to be spending much time on it. And while the 7500 might be a little better in the garden, won't the BX be more stable mowing on steep hills? I would expect it to be, but I'm really just asking because I don't know. ....

View my Photos
John Sheehan

2000-05-19          16435

Great point about the stability on steep hills. The lower center of gravity that the BX2200 has would definitly be more stable. ....

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2000-05-20          16449

I know that a Steiner is a different kind of tractor but have you considered one? Probably a lot more money but you won't see a better finish cut than with their front mounted mowing deck which as a full width rear roller to groom the grass after the cut. Also, with dual wheels and the articulating frame you will have no problems on slopes or hills. Check out steinerturf.com if you are not familiar with them. I use a 430 Max for mowing, trenching, etc. and they are impressive machines. ....

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2000-05-20          16454

You can't plow the garden with a Steiner can you? ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-05-21          16458

Steiner makes a great tiller. ....

View my Photos
Kenneth E. Johnson

2000-05-23          16538

Part One
I decided to write this 2 part post as a service to all who are struggling with the decision whether to go with a Kubota B-series tractor or the new BX-series. I owned a 1998, B1700 HSDB with a 54” mid mower, LA301 loader, loaded rear tires and a 72” Landpride rear blade for 2 years. I have 2 acres of land with maybe ½ acre in grass and a lot drive ways to clear due to having one 2 car garage and another separate single car garage at my home.

I decided to sell the B1700 and get a BX2200. Here are some of my reasons. My reason for acquiring the B1700 was that this was the smallest Kubota with a loader and power steering that could also be used as a mowing machine. My mowing job is not big but I have a hundred mile round trip daily commute and I want the mowing chores done in 20 minutes or less.

Even with the Bi-speed option, the B1700 was very difficult to keep from ripping up the lawn. My lawn extends under some treed areas and the turf is not as vigorous because of this. Additionally the contour of the lawn and placement of shrubs, trees, deck, walkways, etc. require substantial amounts of backing turning and maneuvering. With the shear weight of the tractor with loaded tires it was nearly impossible to mow without creating “tracks” in the lawn. Other areas under the trees were crushed to the point the grass would not grow. The larger loaded rear tires on the B1700 are necessary for counter balance weight for the lifting capability of the loader, but are also the main cause of tuff damage. Additionally the 54” deck on a tractor that is already 39 inches wide meant that as I tried to follow the contour of the “edged” portions of flower beds and shrubbery beds I would have to drive partially onto the mulch to make the corners and still cut grass. The mower on the B series tractor is of a design concept that requires it to ride on the lawn as opposed the BX concept which is a suspended floating concept.

The BX2200 that I purchased has he 60” deck. Now when I follow the contours of my flower beds the mower extends out an additional 6”-8” from the wheels and the mower wheels only contact the ground when the ground is undulating. The BX tractor also has a tighter mowing radius so it is easier to maneuver in tight spots. It is lower to the ground so I have additional clearance under some of my trees.

View my Photos
Kenneth E. Johnson

2000-05-23          16539

Part Two
Some other differences that I like are:
-The BX is easier to mount and dismount due to its garden tractor size.
-The BX loader is the same width but the lower cutting edge extends out further creating a wider “shelf” to load things like my power washer, paint sprayer, bushes or whatever you are carting around the yard.
-The hydraulics for the BX loader have been refined so the modulation of the loader movements are much easier to control.
-Because the BX loader is mounted to a narrower tractor and the arms are closer to the body you have a vastly improved view of the work you are doing.
-The ease of putting on and the removing the loader on the BX is much, MUCH better.
-There is no B series type clutch to deal with every time you want to change from high range to low you just stop the tractor and shift the lever.
-The BX parking brake is an easier to use and its set up does not require any hands.
-The placement of the fuel tank under the seat with a low to the ground easy to access side filling port is much better that trying to climb up over the loader and hold a full 5 gallon can over a possibly hot engine.

Despite the BX being smaller it weighs over 1300 lbs. The B1700 HSDB lists its weight in the literature as 1402 lbs. This is a testimony to sheer robustness of the design. If you stand between the 2 tractors and look at the loader and the 3 point hitch the BX is in many places using substantially thicker steel! I hope this is a sign of future things to come from Kubota. It should be noted that the “loaded tire” total weight difference is probably 500-600 lbs more for the B1700.

As far as clearing snow and using my 72” Landpride rear blade is concerned I am confident it will do the job fine. I know the loader is only rated for 480 lbs. compared to the 660 lbs. for the B series but I do not need heavy lifting for moving much, loam, wood, etc. The loss of “position control” on the 3 point I do not like either but the benefits so far out weight the negatives.

I also purchased the full Curtis Cab with soft sides, a hard rear window, heater and 3 working lights. So next winter the change over to snow removal will be a piece of cake. Drop the mower. Hook up the loader and the rear blade. Hang the soft sided cab doors on and I am ready clear snow even if has changed to rain as it often does here in southern New Hampshire. And in complete comfort after my 100 mile commute!

I hope my opinion helps those with similar home needs.
Best Regards,
Ken Johnson

View my Photos
John Sheehan

2000-05-23          16544

Whew Ken..Thanks for all of the thought that went into your mini series. You brought up some great points. Now if I can only find a BX model to look at!! 3 semi local dealers have none in stock and no time frame for delivery. ....

View my Photos
judd

2000-06-08          17047

Ken, have you used any three point hitch implements yet on your BX2200? It doesn't appear Kubota has the draft arms wide enough to hook up a true category 1 implement. ....

View my Photos
Kenneth E. Johnson

2000-06-13          17155

I have used 2 Cat 1 implements one is a Land Pride 72" rear blade. I have had no problem hitching it up. What is the pin to pin end distance on your implement? Let's compare.
-KJ- ....

View my Photos
judd

2000-07-05          17751

Has anyone compared the "new" B7500 to the old discontinued B2100? I was looking at these tractors last week and it looks like Kubota just re-skinned the B2100, lowered the price and called it the B7500. I was looking at a used B2100 but after I saw that, I'm scared I am throwing money down the drain. Why buy a used B2100 when the same tractor , ie B7500, is a couple of thousand dollars less. I pity the poor dealers that have any B2100s sitting around, either new or used. ....

View my Photos
HCW

2000-07-06          17763

How important is the position control, which is not a feature on the B-7500/BX-2200?

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login