Go Bottom Go Bottom

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
norm_kubota
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-15          156121

Headlights on my L2650 quit working. Removed & tested light switch & all terminals responded as designed. Replaced ignition switch but no luck. Traced current from ignition through fuse panel and back to multi-connector on left side of engine near clutch pedal & have current to that point on the fuse panel side of the plug. Hard to test beyond that point. Flashers work but headlights and tail light does not. Bad light switch?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-15          156122

Can you not get to the light switch to bypass it? Are sure your light bulbs are good?

I re-read you comments. You say you "removed & tested light switch" and then you end with "bad light switch". If the current is getting through the switch, how is it bad?

I have a B Kubota and those headlight will not operate with the tractor switch off. Then the M I have the lights will work with the tractor switch off. No idea on your model. Hope you well. kt ....

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-15          156123

Often the simplest solution is the right one. With the ignition and light switches on, is there power to both of the headlamps? If so, the control circuit is working and it's probably a bad ground connection. If not, is there a fusible link in the circuit somewhere? ....

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
norm_kubota

2008-08-15          156124

My last light switch comment was a question rather than a statement but admit it may have been confusing. I also admit that I didn't complete my troubleshooting in that I didn't check the wires between the connector plug on the left side of the tractor and the light switch. One or more of those wires could be broken and my diagnosis of the light switch and the conclusions I drew from that test could be flawed. I will try bypassing the light switch at first opportunity. BTW, I had auxilary work lights off an added single pole switch tapped into the rear wiring lead but they quit working too when the headlights went out. Could be related to the headlight problem or separate. Headlight bulbs are good so that is not the problem. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep testing. ....

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
norm_kubota

2008-08-15          156125

Short answer is no - no power to headlights with ignition and light switch on. However, there is power from the light switch to the fuse panel and back as far as the connector plug on the left side of the tractor near the rear of the engine. If I understand the wiring diagram correctly, power goes from the battery through the ignition switch through the light switch to the fuse panel and back through the light switch and out to the headlights. This makes sense but I've only confirmed power back to the connector plug. I could not easily get to the wiring leading from the connector plug back to the light switch and one or more of those wires could very well be the problem. I am going to continue fault isolation until I find the problem. I hoped someone had the same problem and could give me specfic hints where to look but with automotive wiring it can be anything. As you say, it could be the simplest thing like a bad ground. Thanks for your suggestions. ....

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
8x56mn

2008-08-18          156152

Did you blow a fuse related to the auxilary light connection? ....

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-08-18          156158

Norm_Kubota,

I think we can rule out a ground problem, as you have no power to the bulb sockets. If you had power to the bulb sockets, a faulty ground would likely be the cause of your problem.

In your case, you have no power to the bulb sockets. This is clearly a power side issue, rather than a ground side issue.

If you have a 12 volt DC test light, with a sharp point on one end, you can push the point into the wire to see if you have power.

Simply connect the alligator connector of the test light to tractor ground, then push the point into the hot wire going to the headlights. If you have power, the test light will light up.

You can use this test light to find a break in the wire, without damaging any of the wiring, as it leaves nothing but a pin sized hole in the wire insulation.

A test light, like the one I described here, can be purchased for about 7 dollars. It's a great tool for troubleshooting wiring problems on any vehicle or trailer.

Here's a sample of the item I'm describing, provided you've not seen one before. See the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Automotive Test Light

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-18          156160

Norm, I have had ground issues with the back lights on one of my Kubota's and have had wire plugs get pulled loose also. I would check those plug ins and also look for any place the wires could be cut by lift arms or such.

Can be cut and not grounded out to where a fuse would blow. Not likely but have seen it. kt ....

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
norm_kubota

2008-08-21          156231

Great suggestions. I'll try it. Thanks. ....

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
norm_kubota

2008-08-21          156232

Fuses check out and I have power through all fuses incl the ones associated with the headlights so it must be ground or wiring - probably wiring or switch since I have no power to the bulb sockets. Thanks for your suggestion. ....

L2650 Light Problem

View my Photos
norm_kubota

2008-08-21          156233

Thanks. See my reply to kthompson ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login