Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX 23 Tiller Problem Help

View my Photos
KenQuat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-06          154334

I bought and mounted a Farmtrac RTM 60 tiller on my BX 23. When I raise the 3 pt. hitch it only lifts it off the ground about an inch before topping out. Is there anyway I can lift the tiller higher?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-06          154339

KenQuat,

You may have an adjustment on your lower three-point arms. If so, you can move the rock shaft's lifting arms in toward the tractor. This increases the lifting height of the lower arms, but it also reduces your tractor's maximum lifting weight.

Subcompact tractors are built low to the ground, making most Cat 1 implements difficult to use. This is one reason why I don't speak too highly of the BX series.....or any subcompact tractor.

If you can't adjust your lower arms, you may need to modify the hitch on your tiller. Have someone convert it to a Cat 0 for you. (Doing this may not be possible on a tiller.)

Worst case scenario.....you'll have to find a Cat 0 tiller for your tractor.

Joel ....

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-06          154349

Joel's right in that a BX has limited height lift and you need to match the attachments to the right tractor and I would guess you do not have the appropriate tiller. I am not familiar with the tiller you have, but there are several mfg. that make a tiller that will work well with your limited height lift issues that you have with a BX.

But I must respectfully disagree with Joel on his concerns with BX models. It is a great tractor when matched with the right equipment. A B model will not pull a 4-bottom plow either, but that does not make a B model an ineffective tractor. One has to match the appropriate attachments to a B model just the same as one has to match the right tool to a BX model.

Brian ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-06          154351

Bvance,

You're right in many ways.

I wouldn't be able to pull a 6 foot cultivator with my little B2100 Kubota, but the hitch will hook up properly to ANY Category 1 implement.

The little subcompact tractors prevent a fella from purchasing his implements from Northern Tool, or Tractor Supply. This is what's so discouraging to me when looking at the subcompact tractors.

It's really quite misleading for the makers of the subcompacts (to include Kubota) to label their hitches as "Cat 1". Sure, the triangular measurements are compatible with Cat 1 implements, but in reality most Cat 1 implements are designed for larger tractors, which makes them unsuitable for use on most any subcompact tractor.

The reality of the situation is that most subcompact tractors require shorter (near-earth) implements. Kubota makes a tiller for the BX series tractors, but it has the lift pins mounted nearly 4 inches lower than most Cat 1 tillers. When tilling with a BX series tractor, the lower arms of the 3-point hitch would probably be dragging in the dirt, or very close to it.

I stop in at the Kubota dealer once every few months. He's got a good selection of BX tractors out front. They're real pretty......but I still shake my head at the concept. Frankly, I don't understand how those damned things ever came into existence. But, that's just me. I never understood how the little Toyota pickup got past the design stage either.

Joel ....

View my Photos
bvance

2008-06-07          154352

Joel,

And I agree with your points as well. But my primary point was the BX is a great tractor to perform certain tasks with certain implements. Every tractor has its limitations and its sweet spot of uses. Just because a BX may not do what you want, it does not make it a ineffective unit. :) It was designed for a certain segment of the market and I would guess BX sales out sell the B model nationwide. I think many folks would disagree with you over "its damned existence" which has been justified many times over.

The BX is a wonderful tractor specifically designed for certain uses and one should not denigrate it just because it does not fit their use or have limited choices of attachments. I would not buy a bigger tractor just to have access to more attachments and then be left with a tractor that does not best fit my need.

I also have a 60HP Skidsteer that does things that I would never expect or even try with my BX. But the converse is also true.

I respect your opinions in many areas, and others rely on and buy equipment based on expert opinions (and criticisms) from experts like you. Please don't sway them in a direction because of a personal bias that is unfair to a piece of equipment, that when used as designed can be a very effective tool.

I have considered trading my BX for a B model, but I see absolutely no advantage for what I use my BX model for....in fact I see many detractors. But I do not criticize the B model for those reasons, just because it was made for different purposes than I would use it for.

Brian ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-07          154353

Brian,

Just to clarify a few things......

I'm no tractor expert. I'm just an old farm boy who grew up raising cattle, wheat, barley, and oats for my Uncle. (Mother's brother) Uncle Richard had 2400 acres. My dad was a computer programmer with 7 acres to maintain.

I have a lot of seat time on many different tractors, mowers, swathers, combines, haying machines, trucks, etc..(and the wrench time that went with it)....but that doesn't make me an expert on any of it.

Just for the record, I sold and repaired medical and dental equipment for most of 25 years. It was a very good living, but I sure missed my Copenhagen and even that dreadful itch from the barley dust.

It isn't often that I allow my opinions to get in the way of a good discussion, but in this case I did.

My sincere apologies.

Joel ....

View my Photos
bvance

2008-06-07          154357

Joel,

This has been a good discussion and hopefully others may benefit from it and realize that there's lots of different tractors and equipement out there and one just needs to find the equipment that fits their needs best.

Joel, you may not consider yourself an expert, but many on this Board do. I would guess that many regard your opinions highly, as I do, and deservedly so.

Have a great weekend and hope you get some seat time on your 'Bota!

Brian ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-06-08          154400

Back to the problem:

BTW.... I once owned a BX......and I had the same problem with several attachments. The issue is the length of the top link, but first......... I think that a 60 inch tiller is WAY TOO BIG for a BX.

Next..... all those little buggers have a factory top link that is too long. I recommend you shorten yours and I can explain how to do it if you are interested.

You cannot just buy a new shorter top link because Kubota uses a cat 0 size link with cat 1 holes in it. Makes it very hard to put anybody else's top link on it.

The other thing you can do is to buy a set of Pat's Easy Change lower link extenders. They will make your top link act a though it is shorter and will lift your implements higher. ....

View my Photos
KenQuat

2008-06-09          154412

Thanks for the responses. I just had to correctly adjust the top link. The BX23 handled the tiller easily, worked perfectly. The RTM 60 tiller weighs 340lbs and only requires 15hp(or more)at the PTO. Thanks again, Ken ....

View my Photos
KenQuat

2008-06-09          154419

Correction on the wieght, the RTM 60 weighs 490 lbs. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-06-09          154427

It would be interesting to hear how well this tiller works.

Kubota recommends/sells a 42 inch tiller with a 37 inch cutting width for the BX series. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-06-10          154484

The Kubota company for the bx only offers a 38" tiller. Depending on the conditions it is a good place to start. IT doesn't mean that in light soil that it might handle more but for good guide lines I say to stick close to them. I do wish you well with the 60" tiller as you are quite a bit wider then recommended and there are not catagory O-1 hitches on them as needed. On the newer BX-2350,24 they changed the hitch to accomadate the difference. ....

View my Photos
KenQuat

2008-06-11          154501

So far I have tilled my garden, my neighbor's, and a small food plot (3 inches). It has worked great, absolutely no signs of overworked. I like that it is wide enough to cover the rear wheel tracks. Here's the specs:

Farmtrac North America

MODEL RTM 60
Working Width (in.) - 60
Working Depth (in.) - 7
Blades per Flange - 6
Total Number of Blades - 42
Deck Material Thickness (mm/appr. Gauge) - 4/8
Side Drive - Gear
Driveline Protection - Slip Clutch
Hitch - Cat 0/Cat I
PTO Shaft Series - 04
PTO Power Required (HP) - 15-35