Go Bottom Go Bottom

Nail in the tire during second mowing

View my Photos
gball7
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-10          152874

Hey guys,
I had my second good mowing of the season the other evening on the new BX2350 and must have run over a nail just before putting her back in the barn for the night- because I got in there, shut her down and heard a little hissing. Sure enough, I spotted in the front left tire where a nail had gone through. So I jacked her up, took off the wheel and dropped it at the tire place on the way to work this morning to get it plugged.

I have turf tires on my 2350, so I'm wondering now in hindsight if the R4's are more immune to nails/debris than the turf'ers. Doesn't matter, as I prefer turfs for my property, but just curious what y'all think. I will now be looking at metal detectors to properly scan/clear the property to try and prevent more of this in the future. The insurance people basically mandated that we have a nice but old tobacco barn taken down (the fire dept. actually agreed to burn it to the ground for practice) before we bought the property/house, so I think I caught a nail in that area, which is near the barn.

Mike in NC

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-10          152876

I figured that the industrial tires were more rock and nail resistant than turfs, but don't know for sure.

As for finding the nails, it may be easier to just use a magnetic roller like the one linked to. I saw one being used by a roofing contractor once, it was truly amazing how many unseen roofing nails he picked up.

Link:   Rolling magnetic pick up tool

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-10          152880

If you had a tobacco barn burnt, you can bet there are many nails around. If you don't have tubes in your tires pick up a simple plug set for you can do it also. Sure is better to plug your own rear tire than to handle it. I have plugged tubeless with water in them while on the tractor with no problem.

Oh, you will have to keep up the checking and clearing of the nails as with a heavy rain or anything that moves dirt more or uncovered. kt ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-10          152882

I have about one flat a year with the R-4's. They seem to be a harder rubber than turf's, so they may be a bit more resistant.I've done considerabale work tearing down old corncribs, chicken houses, etc. with the loader and backhoe, so I was kinda asking for flats. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-10          152883

Hardwood, I am glad you get what you ask for. :)

I had lime delievered recently and was surprised when I picked up a nail from it in my R 4 tire. That simple bent nail was only about $120 by the time I paid for new tube, antifreeze and the work. Oh the $20 or so in there for them coming to me was well worth it. That tire with weight rim, filled and all weights near a thousand pounds. Been there and done that and then found out how little more it cost for their service truck to make the run. Better ways to have fun. kt ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-04-10          152884

Gball, a metal detector? I live down the street from the Mazda plant where they make the Mustang. The factory has many parts delivery trucks that never leave the property. But they all have a magnet about 8' long, 2" thick and 6" wide hanging by chains just above the ground off the front bumper to pick up stray nails and metal parts. You might want to consider one of those. Northern Tool and Equipment sells a smaller version.

As far as preventing tire punctures I'm a big fan of Tire Slime. It's about $24 a gallon from Tractor Supply. I use a gallon and half per tire in my skid steer. I had been using inner tubes but nails keep puncturing the tires so back to Slime it is--and a tube cost the same as a gallon of Slime. And when a tire goes flat unexpectedly, it tends to suck in the tire stem which ruins the tube. To get a tire with Slime reinflated is less work since all I do is put a 2" ratchet strap around it to buldge the sidewalls and get it to seal on the rim. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-10          152890

Crushed limestone can have a lot of tramp,(nails, pliers, screwdrivers, broken bolts, etc.) EW mentioned the big bar magnets under the front bumper of quarry trucks, yes I have saw those, but forgot about them. Where would you go to get one of them? Frank ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-04-11          152895

Frank rare to see that much metal with one EXCEPTION! You get early spring delivery. Quarries typically do winter maint and weld rod stubs dropped on ground tools dropped etc. The big magnets in front of crushers should catch most. But if work done down stream junk go to stock pile. IT FROM LAZY WELDERS! Welding is big we have burned over 300# rod since mid Jan, not counting wire, thats alot of stubs. ....

View my Photos
JOHNWTHOMAS

2008-04-11          152902

This brings back memories of my first Kubota a BX2200 that I bought about 4 years ago. Had couple flats from big thorns/wood sticks in ag or ind tires. Traded BX2200 for a B7800 and also bought a BX1500 and until yesterday when I pulled the BX1500 out after winter and it has a flat front tire. Thought I had gotten past the flats phase.. Ended up tubing my BX2200 tires. ....

View my Photos
gball7

2008-04-16          153035

Hey guys,
Yes, after question marks about my plan, I purchased a used metal detector off craigslist yesterday, and will check my property (specifically by where our old tobacco barn once stood) for nails before I do major work in that area again. Also now looking at a super magnet at Lowe's to also suck up any stuff I might miss.

The plug on the tire that had the nail in it held, but now the stem hisses/leaks when I just touch it (to top the tire off with more air), so I might be taking it back into town to be re-stemmed. It doesn't leak though unless touched, so I might wait until I've got the mowing done this weekend.

Best,
Mike in NC ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-17          153050

You may wish to check the valve stem very easy to see where it is leaking from. Could be the inside part was not tighten and some valve stems have a screw on valve body. It is also possible the valve has a piece of trash prevent it seating fully. Those should be simple, cut valve stem different. kt ....

View my Photos
gball7

2008-04-17          153064

Thanks KT, I received other comments on this (possible trash preventing it from seating all the way) and this explains it well. I see what you (and others) mean. I will try to check for this. Might be a simple fix. If not, I'm assuming I can get this weekend's mowing done with this stem, and then have it restemmed professionally if it comes to that. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login