Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Tractor Engine noise

View my Photos
8x56mn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-26          152441

The other day while loading wood into my FEL bucket with the engine on fast idle the engine made a funny noise like when you hear the jake brake on a big rig. It only lasted a second and hasn't done it since. Could this be a indication of pending doom or could it be a drop of water going through the injectors?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-05          152759

Did it smoke when it did it? ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-05          152761

Sure it wasn't the cooling system? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-04-07          152797

Hmmm, I missed this one first time around.

The only time I've heard a funny noise like that was when it was purging air from the injector lines or the injection pump cavitating just before running out of fuel.

Assuming the tank wasn't empty, I'd be looking at fuel starvation issues, debris in the tank, fuel filter, fuel separator, etc. cutting off the flow.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
8x56mn

2008-04-07          152798

Yes I was thinking of that also. It has not done it since, so was hoping it was water. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-04-07          152801

I doubt it was water, certainly not if the water was at the injectors.

Water is too large to pass the injectors without some chemical help to break up the droplet size. That is one of the big problems with water in the fuel, it can build up to the point it ruins the pump because the pressure gets too great.

Better safe than sorry, spend a few minutes checking / draining the likely spots in the fuel system, tank, filter, separator, etc., and you may save a lot of time, frustration and possibly money down the road.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
8x56mn

2008-04-08          152833

How does one drain the tank anyway and is the fuel filter and or water seperator in the engine compartment? Pardon my ignorance this is the first deisel that I have ever owned. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2008-04-08          152842

Not to doubt what you heard but were you hand loading wood into the loader bucket or driving into the pile? Could it have been a log rubbing against the cutting edge?

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-04-09          152843

Some things you really need to know, others not so much. I've not drained my tank in 35 years of ownership, but I've never started for the day without checking the fuel bowl. (Full? Water? Sediment?) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-04-09          152844

First off, there's no need to drain the tank. A good flashlight in the filler cap (especially at night since the daylight makes it hard to see) will light up any water drops or debris in the tank. If there is water, use a water absorbing gadget they sell for snowmobiles in the tank. It is a small plastic mesh tube filled with special crystals that absorbs water not fuel.

Secondly, the fuel / water separator is usually a clear cup looking arrangement on the side of the engine block. Depending on your model there may be a draincock on the bottom, or it may screw off. In either case, since fuel & water don't mix any water in the bottom will be clearly visible.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
8x56mn

2008-04-09          152849

Thanks, , but if I drain the bowl does that require me to blead the ejectors to get fuel or will everything just be ok, start back up like nothing changed? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-04-09          152851

The fuel bowl is between the tank and the pump. If all you do is drain the bowl, no, nothing more has to be done.

You do however have to close the valve to stop the fuel going into the filter before opening it. If there is no valve just clamp the rubber line with a pair of pliers.

Gravity will probably refill the bowl before you even get a chance to start it back up.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
8x56mn

2008-04-09          152852

OK, thanks will try it tonight, still hasn't caused me any problem, but want to be pro active. ....

View my Photos
gball7

2008-04-10          152873

Mine made that kind of sound the other evening when I was letting the wife take the new BX2350 for her first testdrive. She leaned forward to bump up the engine speed /hand throttle and the seat switch shut the engine down- but it made that jakebrake kind of noise as is was sputtering to a stop-- smoked a little too. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login