Go Bottom Go Bottom

Smallest Box Trailer for BX24 no Hoe i e a BX22 size

View my Photos
mswlogo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-09          146675

I have few strange restrictions because my property is along the water and they are very strict on building anything to house a tractor. Folks are also very sensitive to what's visible from the water too.

So I was thinking of getting one of those box trailers. It could server as a "portable shed" and as a transport (which should be rare).

I don't want one too huge. So I thought I could take off the Hoe and put it in the trailer for the winter. And I can find a place to put the hoe out of the weather. I think with the hoe on height would also be an issue.

What's the smallest single axle box I could squeeze it into?

For reference I would tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which tows a 4500lb boat/traile single axle just fine).

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-09          146676

Mswlogo,

Any good horse trailer should work for you. They're available nearly everywhere on the used market. At most, you'd only have to replace the floor in the thing.

You might be able to find a used Featherlite bumper hitch model at a reasonable price.......plenty big enough for your BX with the hoe on.

As for other people telling me what I can and can't do on my own property.....well, they're asking for a fight. If I can't build a building on MY OWN PROPERTY, then why is it called "mine".....and what exactly did I pay for?

My foul words would quickly get me booted off of this board, but I wouldn't dare embarrass my mother by posting them here anyway.

Joel

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-09          146678

Only you know how much space you need :) Just measure the length, width, and height and call around to area trailer places to see what's available based on those dimensions. Other than that there's no real majic to figuring it out.
And you'll need to figure room to get on/off the machine once inside. And you'll need some sort of in-floor tie-downs if you paln on any kind of transporting---trust me there's nothing like a shifting load like a heavy machine sliding to the rear and lifting the rear end of the vehicle raise up and lose traction---not to mention possibly bolting through the closed door(s) and becoming part of the highway traffic! DOH! (I have had a an ATV come loose at 45mph and an improperly secured backhoe slide backward on a trailer)

But keep in mind not all enclosed cargo trailers are built the same. There are differences in the spacing of the floor crossmembers which support the plywood floor. And some have barn doors that swing open, which is fine but you'll need ramps--and they have to be strong enough to hold without collapsing. There is also a ramp-type door you may be able to get, but make sure it is designed to support the weight---I have seen many a trailer ramp door that the door went from flat to arched. ....

View my Photos
mswlogo

2007-10-09          146684

I don't have the tractor yet !!!

And none of the specs on kubota site give the specs I need.

Min Length (with hoe (tucked) or without Hoe)
Total weight with Hoe (my guess is around 2800lbs)
Height with ROPs folded (with Hoe and without Hoe) 60in?
Looks like height is not an issue with or without Hoe. Even though it may fit it may be hard to drive it in if height is too low (small trailers are about 68 high inside.

I might be able to save a few bucks if I pick it up myself with the trailer.

I'm sure a horse trailer would be huge. I'm looking for the smallest !!! not the biggest :-)

Will it fit Inside a 5x12ft with out Hoe?
Will it fit Inside a 6x14ft with Hoe?

I need to plan where I'm gonna put it before I commit. Just curious of the practicality of using an enclosed trailer.

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-09          146689

Mslogo,

I misunderstood. I thought you had the tractor already, but were looking for a trailer to store it in.

The trailer I was thinking of is a ball hitch trailer designed for transporting horses. It's low to the ground, making it easy to drive the tractor in and out of. And being that it is designed for horses, you'll have plenty of head room, even with the hoe still attached. It's not a big trailer.......barely big enough for the tractor and hoe......although I do believe it's a double axle type.

Most horse trailers have a walk-in door on the side, with large double doors at the rear. It would make a perfect storage shed for your tractor, and it would also keep any kids (as well as any adults) from tinkering with your tractor, as the doors can be padlocked.

If security is an issue, even the wheels and tires can be removed, preventing anyone from thinking about stealing the whole works at one shot.

This will keep your tractor out of the weather, while at the same time providing a secure storage shed, as well. The biggest benefit might be the fact that the zoning officials won't have anything to write you up for. And with proper anchor points installed, this trailer would also serve as a perfect way to transport the tractor from one location to another.

These horse trailers are constructed well enough to support the weight of your tractor and hoe, without any problem.

You'll have to go to your dealer to get the exact measurements, and then find a trailer that will work for you.

Joel ....

View my Photos
testing

2007-10-09          146694

Hope this can work for you. But if you have never operated a Diesel Tractor before, starting it in a confined space like a garage let alone a small box trailer can really can intense with the startup fumes. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-09          146696

Testing,

You are correct about the confined spaces, but horse trailers are not totally enclosed.

Oh...I reckon it's best to post a picture.

Joel ....

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Smallest Box Trailer for BX24 no Hoe  i e  a BX22 size

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-09          146697

Most of the landscapers around here used fully enclosed trailers that way they can have a water tight place to store all their gear without having to rent a private yard to store an open trailer.

These are not the horse trailer type, I am wondering if the horse trailer type might let the opposite condition, that is too much moisture. don't they make them so the horse pee can drain straight thru? etc? Never that up close to them so not sure how they are set up.

Any way here is a jazzy looking landscape, car or ATV trailer sure to please your neighbors.

Picture Link

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-10-10          146742

The BX is an inch or two longer than 14 feet with the backhoe in the stored position.

I don't remember what the length is with the BH removed.....but if you had a box scraper on instead it would be just as long for all practical purposes.

You are probably pretty close on the weight..... if you add in the weight of the trailer you have a very BIG load for a single axle trailer. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-10          146747

I didn't see anything about weight distribution. My bad. :) This is extremely CRITICAL on not only a single-axle trailer but a double too. And the fact the towing vehicle has relatively low tow ratings.

Admittedly, I know nothing of the machine with or w/o accessories in question. I'm speaking in general terms, but they do apply to this situation.

I do know that the backhoe in particular, weight-wise, could put too much weight rearward of the desired 60/40 weight distribution target. Too much weight (in either direction) could raise the rear of the truck too much i.e., not enough tongue weight or conversely too much if too far forward.

And it's not a simple as turning the machine around and backing it in. Uh-uh.

You literally have to test-fit the machine in the particular trailer, adjust the weight to the 60/40 target and see if it fits physically AND weight-distribution wise.

You may find that you have to get a longer trailer in order to see if you can attain the 60/40 target. Any other configuration is a recipe for disaster.

Also, once you establish the trailer length and EXACTLY where in the trailer (within a few inches in this case) the machine has to be EVERY time, you cannot just willy-nilly throw in "extras" like other attachments, implements, tools, gas cans, etc. without performing this exercise over again to ensure the trailer is loaded properly.

Unless you have had a poorly-loaded trailer wildly fishtailing out of control at 70 mph in heavy traffic---all this may sound like a load of crap. But that's exactly what you'll have in your pants when it happens!

Wanna see my T-shirt?

An' my old pants?

View my Photos
mswlogo

2007-10-10          146748

You make a really good point on the weight distribution. Having too little weight on tongue is a horrible feeling (been there done that when I was young and stupid). The only way to fix it is to have adjustment room. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-10          146751

Based on DRankin's observation of how long his unit is with the backhoe in the stored position, and the length that Kubota gives (8' including a 3pth), it seems the B/H adds about 5' of length to the overall machine length.

Being a pilot, and concerned with weight & balance on a daily basis (albeit for a VERY different reason) I can tell you, if the BX24 weighs 1,500 pounds and the hoe itself weighs 617 pounds (stated weights are according to Kubota), now the FEL does add some weight to the front end, but mostly it forces the tractor to move back, further shifting the weight aft of the axle.

If you have more than 1/3 of the weight aft of the fulcrum (balance point) you are going to end up with a negative hitch weight based on my calculations, in other words the tongue will go up in the air when you unlatch it.

Not a good situation at all.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-10          146753

IMHO to safely trailer equipment you need a tow vehicle significantly more substantial than a SUV (more so with frameless SUV).

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and its a very nice sport utility vehicle but it just is not meant to be an equipment hauler. Sure you see people pulling all kinds of stuff with them. Most tractor dealers will tell you that you need a "full size" pickup to safely trailer equipment and at that they would suggest a 3/4 ton as better. They basically smiled when I said I was going to use my 4WD Toyota Tundra to toy a B7610.

I was behind a guy once when he lost control of his trailer, not a pretty site.

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-10          146756

Yup, no doubt about it, put too big a trailer behind too small a tow vehicle and sooner or later it's going to look something like this.

Link:   Trailer Oooopsey.

Picture Link

View my Photos
backwoodsal

2007-10-10          146757

You would have to look into it further but you could able able to tow more with your Jeep. I have a Tundra that's rated for about 4500# but with a weight distributing hitch I can tow around 7500.

Have you used an open trailer to tow it yet? If so park it next to a enclosed trailer. If the axles are in the same spot then weight location shouldn't be an issue. I know the enclosed race car trailers have the wheels set back a little further to add tonge weight but a car has more weight in the front than a tractor.

I think you can plan on the trailer empty weight in the range of 1500 to 2000 lbs. So that and a BX shouldn't be too bad. I thought I read you don't plan on having the backhoe on while inside the trailer? If you did it would of course mean a longer trailer but that wouldn't be a bad thing because it would give you some room to move the tractor around without the hoe on.

Do a little homework into the best location for the tractor in the trailer, good working equipment (brakes, controller, tires, etc.) and taking the time to get a feel for it and you should be fine. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-10-10          146759

I have a 14' double axle enclosed trailer with a semi-wedge front. It is called a flat top (squared top with aluminum angle corners) and has a 6'- 1" tall ramp door and interior. Although it has 3500# axles, I would question if the ramp door could support the weight of tractor. It is not rated as a car hauler. Was thinking with the wedge you could back in and get enough room for the hoe without going to a longer trailer.

The trailer is very low to the ground and I have rear jacks so you can load/unload it unattached. It is equipped with brakes which is a must especially if you have only an SUV. Brand name is Continental Cargo by Forest River. There are lots of color choices out there and you could possibly match up to you home so it don't stick out causing complaints with the neighbors. Mine is pewter and don't show dirt and smudges.

That way, the exhaust would be pointing out the rear for startup. You would need to sit on the seat in a bent over position and fold the ROPS down. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-10          146762

Yooper, I have a 24' car hauler made by the same company.
Yours is actually a snowmobile trailer, right?

And just to bring back my point, if he were to put the joe in the wedge, that would significantly increase tongue weight which isn't good.

If push comes to shove, he could always use a weight-distributing hitch which would counter the weight. I used them on smaller vehicles pulling long and relatively heavy loads. They work great. Pricey for what they do, but worth it. But then the trade off is added wear to the vehicle's front suspension (tires, bearings, etc.). But as a word of caution, they require careful attention to preloading the bars too---too aggressive of setting or wrong choice of torsion bar rating and it will literally lift the rear end off the ground and or jacknife easily! Got the t-shirt for that one too! Yup, I have B-I-G T-shirt collection! ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-10-10          146764

Earthworks:

Mine is a cargo trailer and not exactly for snowmobiles. It has only a semi-wedge and just a human type side entrance door. Not the flip down type for snowmobiles or RTV's on the side. I store stuff in it, move my kid around from college to her new place and have parties, move stuff up North and haul lawn & garden tractors. I haven't messed it up yet so the floor is clean and has white side walls. Been thinking about converting it to a red-neck camper.

I can put a false rear wall in it with a storm/screen door and air conditioner hole. I can then get hookup at camp sites and use their showers. I like to travel with my dog (yellow lab), so in hot weather can just leave her for a few hours with the air on. Makes a good dog house. It's allot lighter than a small travel trailer and has multiple purposes.

Mine looks allot like the picture Dennis posted. ....

View my Photos
mswlogo

2007-10-12          146853

I think you guys are over rating the trailer needs a bit here. 7000lb rated dual axle trailer for a BX24 and full size pick up, come on !!

I don't mean to say you want to be smart and have some buffer but geesh !!

I tow my 3500lb boat on a 1000lb single axle trailer with surge breaks and the jeep tows fine. I wouldn't want to go cross country or drive over 60mph but it pulls great. Jeep is rated to pull 6500lbs. One thing I do find is good breaks in the trailer make a huge difference. My last boat + trailer weight about 2500lbs with no breaks and it was scary stopping. I can also pull the boat out of the water in sand. My neighbor can't pull out his 1500lb boat off the same sandy beach with his ford expedition (it just digs itself in).

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-10-12          146857

Apples and oranges.

Your boat can only go on the trailer one way and no doubt the trailer was designed around the boats center of gravity.

You cannot put a 14 foot tractor on a generic 14 foot single axle trailer. You need room to jockey back and forth the "adjust" the tongue weight.

That puts you into a 16 foot single axle flatbed. I am not sure I have ever seen such a beast. Keep in mind we are using "car haulers" to move our tractors.

When I picked up my BX22 for the first time I showed up with a 16 foot dual axle, 7000 GVW, flat bed trailer. But I forgot to put some jack stands under the rear lip of the trailer. As I drove that little critter up the ramps, it lifted the rear end of my Tundra almost completely off the ground.

I have some soiled pants just like earthworks described earlier.

No Sir. This ain't like towing a boat. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-10-12          146860

You will find that if you purchase a 14" enclosed trailer that is the breaking point between single and double axles. Most of the single axles (have 2" ball vs: 2 5/16") do not have trailer brakes and the trailers themselves are usually narrower. The axles are generally 3500 lb. rated. Capacity is then less the weight of the trailer. If you are putting a tractor, BH and FEL in it, your load distribution most likely will be quite a bit forward and near the limit of a single axle. That means allot of tongue weight for your Jeep. If the Jeep is sagging and the tongue hanging down, it is not in a good tow mode. Remember the motor on the boat is at the rear. ....

View my Photos
mswlogo

2007-10-12          146879

Actually the boat motor is in the middle :-) But yeah your right the trailer for the boat is custom made.

I wonder how they do it with the boat, with single axle as far as 3500lbs per axle. The trailer is very heavy SINGLE AXLE with breaks (at least 1000lbs) and so is the boat (3500lbs). It's a very common setup trailer and boat from the manufacturer. I’ll check the GVWR on the boat trailer, I’m curious now.

I just double checked web site to see if I was crazy, http://www.tige.com/models_20i.php yup boat weighs 3300lbs with no gas and 35 gallon tank (which IS in the back).

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
backwoodsal

2007-10-14          146951

You can check to see how many lug nuts your wheels have. Usually the 5 lug wheels go up to 3600 lbs. If you have 6 lugs you could have a 5000 lb axle. ....

View my Photos
mswlogo

2007-10-17          147075

Well I decided against this whole idea. I think it will be so large to be done right that it will be tough to tow with my Jeep and be an eye sore which is just what I was trying to avoid.

It turns out I think it will fit nicely in my boat house. The boat house was built in 1906 and is not used as boat house because it was built for a 1906 boat (like 3 ft beam). I've been using it as a shed. I had already filled in the floor. I'll have to beef up the floor a bit for the tractor. Should be fun working on my back in a foot of cold water this weekend. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login