Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B2150 Engine life in hours

View my Photos
8x56mn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-17          144768

I have a B2150 with 2000 hrs. She's still running strong at the moment. My question is how many hours are normal for the life expectancy of a motor

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-17          144770

8x56mn,

At 5000 hours an engine is considered to be at, or very near the end of its serviceable life expectancy.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-17          144771

Depending on maintenance Joel has it pegged pretty good.

We put about 2,000 hours a year on the tractors, and run them 3 or 4 years before rotating them out of the fleet.

I know of units we sold years ago that had 8,000+ hours on them then that are still going strong today, but we maintain them to death!! At busy times of the year it's not unusual for a tractor to get 2 oil changes a WEEK!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-08-17          144779

hey cando and murf- same question, but how about a Jinma engine? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-17          144781

KleinChris,

I don't know how the market handles the imported tractors.

Generally speaking, when any diesel engine has reached the 5000 hour mark, it is considered spent.

This is why most older tractors sell with "Fresh Rebuild", or "Recent Overhaul". If the owner of the tractor didn't invest in the engine rebuild, he wouldn't be able to sell it.

At 5000 hours, MOST (not all) diesel engines will require a minimum of new rings, rod and crank bearings, and a valve adjustment. However, while the engine is out, most people just spend the money to do a complete rebuild, as downtime is something that costs a lot more money in the end.

Tractors with over 5000 hours on them sell CHEAP, unless a certified overhaul spec. sheet can be produced, detailing the services performed. This is the reason why most farmers do not overhaul their own engines. They need the dealer service spec sheet to make it worth anything on trade or at sale time.

Joel ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-08-18          144799

Noone knows how long they will last these days of almost exact tolerances and synthetic oils. I think the engine is the last to go. And hey Murf, after 5,000 hrs isn't everyhing else on the tractor so beat up that it ain't worth fixing?? Just wondering. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-19          144824

There are so many differences in design as well as the materials used to build an engine that with out knowning the engine it's hard to predict. As well as the tolerences that the manufacturer uses while building you also have the use and maintence that play into as well as the quality of the fluids.

I know of many that are lucky to get three thousand hours as well as engines that live to 18000 hours.

There is no key here but a balance of all the moving as well as stationary parts working well together. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-08-20          144832

If the exact same work and maintenance was perforformed on a Yanmar engine and a Jinma engine, do you think the Jinma would hold out as long as the Yanmar? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-08-20          144833

KK; That would be a shot in the dark. Just too many variables to consider. Are the bearing materials of the same quality, the clearances of working parts the same, cylinder walls of the same grade of finish, same quality piaton rings, etc., etc. I've heard nothing bad about either engine. You just do your best at maintenece and hope nothing goes wrong. Very few engines just totally wear out, most die from a coolant leak into the engine oil, overheating from a failed cooling system, failed air cleaner, etc. before total wear out. The 5000 hour figure has been used here, that's probably an average normal hour overhaul, some go lots less, others go twice that long. What is your intended use for the tractor? Unless you are a commercial landscaper or someone who piles on the hours a five thousand hour engine will last you a lifetime. Frank. ....

View my Photos
8x56mn

2007-08-20          144835

Well thanks to all for the insight. I have owned this tracor now for 5 years and have put on 400 hours. I have changed the oil and filter once each spring. The hardest work it sees is bush hogging. I feel better know knowing it could last me the rest of my days at this rate and a little luck.
Thanks ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-20          144838

Ihookem, I wouldn't say they're "beat up" but they sure don't look new, that's for sure.

My fleet does some pretty specific tasks, we wear out some very unusual parts but generally speaking we've got the hang of it pretty good by now, we know what parts need lots of lube and attention and what to keep an eye on. We also have a proprietary bunch of self-made parts to beef up the weak spots most people would never come across.

Amongst the more unusual parts we wear out on a regular basis are; the bushings in the 3pth lift arms (the round part with the hole in it), the drawbar (the hole gets worn through to tearing out), seats (we buy them by the skid) tires (some machines go through 3 sets a year!).

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2007-08-21          144886

Murf,
On the 3pt. arm bushing, I drilled a small hole (after turning the ball sideways) into them front and rear. Then I use my chainsaw bar grease gun to lube them. Works real good. The only thing bad about it is you get alittle grease on your hands when hooking up att. and you have to blow the dirt out of holes now and then.

Lee ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-08-21          144887

Good to know that Murf, I forget to lube those parts sometimes. Looks like my Bota might go past 10,000 hrs. Hope it does too. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-08-22          144897

Just yesterday I drove a 4020 Deere belonging to a friend that now is back in the hands of the original owner. He bought it new the last year they were built, 1969??. He had a large livestock operation, so it powered a grinder mixer almost everyday of the year, sometimes nearly all day, plus it was the big horse for his field work, sometimes ran round the clock with change off drivers till it had 14,000 hours, never had a wrench on the engine, just a clutch or two. It wss overhauled after he traded it, it now has over 20,000 hours and ran like a new one. His son tracked it down and got it bought from the person who had it, gave it a good clean up and a paint job. At 80 yrs. old this guy is like a kid with a new toy. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-22          144900

There is so much to engines and there are differences in them. In the west many of them go 10,000 hours in four years in ag tractors! They will then be sold and come east, these tractors are often run another three to five thousand hours before rebuild. The good thing is when new they would start at daylite and run till dark and often late into the night with two shifts if not three so the engines are not starting and stopping, cooling down and rewarming all day so the wear is more consistant.
There are engines that will only go for to five thousand hours and the soft crank is egg shape and a rebuild is needed to hold the rods bearings in and the soft rings are often leaking. There are also those engines that have hard enough of a finish on the crank that other then from oil starvation the crank can run for thirty or forty thousand hours and still not be egg shaped.
The type of use, the hours run per interval and the type of load all enter in to be able to fix a life of an engine. I know that there are still engines that don't have a long life cycle, these normally are cheaper to build and some still will have good luck with them for what they do. On the other side we can talk stalite valve seats in heads and harder crank finishes like elothem and get into longer life under heavy loads and a life span that far exceeds needs. We can talk about the price of quality oil and maintaining the equipment and just with good care a person "may" be totally satisfied with a lower quality unit for what they are doing. The hard part to swallow might be that with lack of knowledge you just paid the same for a lower life span unit when you could have bought a top of the line unit for the same money.

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-22          144903

Frank and Art bring up a very good point.

Rarely is one of my machines started and run for less than about 4 hours, often during snow storms and marathon blitzes to get a job done, they will run 36 or 48 hours straight without ever being shut off or even just idling for more than a few minutes to fuel, change operators or get or dispose of coffee.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-08-22          144909

Regarding engine life....I am learning or coming to the conclusion that the diesel engines need to be run longer periods of times to last longer. My question is that mine will be used for mowing 4 acres plus. Now should i leave it running for awhile after I'm done mowing and also let it warm up for sometime too? Or should i just mow as usual and turn the thing off. Figure mowing time between 1-2 hours, will be a deere 2520. With milk at $4-$5 a gallon, diesel fuel is cheap. thx ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-22          144911

FWIW, a diesel makes little if any heat at idle.

The (non-winter) warm-up for ours consists of merely driving around. In our case the distance from the parking area to the work site is usually way more than enough to get them warmed up. In ambient temps. a few minutes is all that's necessary to get them to running temperature. In the winter, we never cold-start them unless there's no choice.

Again, the drive back to the parking area is enough to let them cool back down too, IMHO, a cool off idle period isn't necessary for the average user.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-22          144914

Nosteiner4me,

The biggest issue facing the homeowner and compact tractor owner is the SHORT length of time the engine will be running.

Frequent starts and short run times are the hardest on any engine -- diesel or gas.

When an engine first starts, there is no oil in the top of the engine. For the first few seconds, the engine runs dry, until the oil pump gets the oil to all the moving parts.

Therefore, try to plan your projects so that you can accomplish many tasks in one day. The less often you start your tractor, the longer the engine will last.

Engine life isn't based so much on the number of hours on it, as it is on the number of starts and short operating periods. In extremely cold weather conditions, engine life will drop dramatically, unless the block is heated. Other parts of the tractor will also see reduced life, unless the tractor's storage building is also heated.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-23          144950

Now let's not get into one of the best values on a store shelf! Bottled water at any amount is a rip off!!!! Milk at four to five is a bargin! If the farmers had gotten the same two to four percent raises many people get a year the price would be about ten plus a gallon minimum! I still woould really like to know when the price farmers get per hundred gets to 12 dollars in about 18 months who is pocketing the ten dollar per hundred difference? They don't lower the price in the stores!!!!! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-08-23          144951

Thanks Art for bringing up the milk thing. I was pretty hot under the collar about that staement too, but didn't want to get in trouble with Dennis again over straying from a subject. Never heard anyone grumble about the high cost of beer. Frank. ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-08-23          144973

Art, milk is going for 21 dollars a hundred. My milk farmer neighbor says it's finally worth milking again. Anyway Art, what brands are cheap engines and what brands are good engines, just wondering. And by the way, it drives me nuts when my 14 year old daughter buys a pint of water for a buck! ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-08-23          144974

OK now....wasn't trying to step on any farmers toes here about the price of milk. I cannot eat my frosted flakes or lucky charms without milk and buy it regardless of price. I was comparing the two prices per gallon regarding engine life and how long to leave the engine running if it would help to extend the life. I was saying that if Diesel was $5 a gallon, then i don't know if anyone would leave the engine running longer than need be. At $2.8 a gallon, don't think i would worry as much. Hope that clarifies, just trying to get the best advice to make a $20,000 tractor last as long as it can.

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-24          144978

Hardwood,
since there are many tractors used in the dairy business and the life of those engines is very important...would not think discussing how the two topics would not relate.
As to the price of milk, I grew up with our own cows for beef and milk. Hand milking. Did not value that hand milking enoungh till my Dad died and left me at 16 to do it. Needless sure did miss fresh milk in a little while. The price of bottled water industry and profit is unreal. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-24          144982

NoSteiner, the farmer has little to do with the price of milk other than collecting the SMALL portion of the price you pay to take it home.

The farmer is lucky to see a quarter of what you pay at the store.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-25          145014

Ihookum, it is hard for me to tell you what is the best off my cuff other then those we see with the most hours before rebuild. Then it's a matter of if the metal left is strong enough to be worth rebuilding. Today many of the engines are reman or factory reconditioned as the days of it being cost effective in the normal shop to rebuild is cost prohibitive.

I know where the price of milk is and it was less then 18 months ago that it wasn't even 18 dollars per hundred weight but about 12 dollars!!! How would the rest of the people be able to live with that kind of a fluctuation in their pay!!!! The next part is even harder, who would work for seven days a week and be available 24 hours!!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login