Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
mostlyaccurate
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-07          143500

I'm looking to buy a Kubota or JD or other... for small acreage cutting, disking, and fel use. Looking at possibly L4400 (45 eng HP)or MX5000 (52 eng HP). Not planning to use the loader a lot but will use it occasionally to move some dirt or light clearing. I want something to access remote plots without feeling unstable on uneven terrain and big enough to hold it's on with a fairly heavy 5 or 6 foot disk. What's your opinions about choosing between 2 & 4 wd and can I get the job done with less HP by going 4wd?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-08          143501

Mostly; There are few applications where a front wheel assist will not be a big benefit. Statonary PTO work for example is about the only application where a front wheel assist would make no difference in the performance of your tractor. You mention occasional light loader work, I think if you are like the rest of us the loader will get used on almost a daily basis for sometning, I've never had the loader off my 4310 Deere, I do drop the bucket off when mowing. Loader work is where a front wheel assist really shines. It may be tempting now to save a some dollars on the purchase, but come trade in time you may have an orphan. Could you go to a smaller tractor with front wheel assist? It all depends on what you want the tractor to do. In stationary PTO work, no, in anything requireing tracton, maybe, a four wheel drive tractor will put more of the power your tractor produces to the ground simply because you have two more tires pulling. On slipery conditions the safety factor alone of the front wheel assist is a big factor too. I used to never believe in four wheel drive pickups till a friend of mine explained to me 15 years ago that you only really ever pay for the four wheel drive option once, (on deperciated basis), because of the added trade in value when you trade on a regular basis. I usually trade every two years, and the dealer always has a customer waiting for my trade in. Frank. ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-08          143502

MostlyAccurate,

Hardwood is right!

You'll always regret not having 4-wheel drive, should you buy a tractor without it.

You'll find that with your loader, and the extra weight it places on your front axle, that you'll have far better traction and pulling power with 4-wheel engaged.....especially if you are carrying a fairly heavy load in the bucket.

A heavy load in the front-end-loader's bucket will take a considerable amount of weight off of your rear tires, making it very difficult to move about. But you'll find that making a turn is all but impossible with so much weight up front, and no front wheel drive capability.

4-wheel drive is nice on a pickup or an ATV, but it is almost a requirement for any tractor that will be used for anything other than powering a grain auger.

You will NEVER regret having the 4-wheel option. It more than doubles any tractor's performance capabilities.

Joel ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-08          143504

Listen to these guys, they're right. It's amazingly easy to get a tractor stuck in 2WD. I usually drive around our property in 2WD but when the work starts it's not long until I have to engage all four to do the job even when not using the loader (bush hogging, towing an off-road trailer around, box scraping or even just getting up the hill). It can also be difficult to resell a 2WD tractor. ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-07-08          143505

4WD or keep your money and have someone else do it ;-) ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
mostlyaccurate

2007-07-08          143507

Thanks for the input everyone :) ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-08          143511

Mostly; Just as a bit of a followup to my first post. If your goal is to save money and not give up performance the front wheel assist is not the option to delete, perhaps get a gear drive instead of a hydostat, I think that saves around a thousand bucks on a Deere. I don't even know the cost difference between a 2wd. and a 4wd., just ignore that and get the 4wd., you'll never be sorry. I can hear the hydro boys and girls already getting ready to tell you what a Wacko I am for not having hydros. I've already traded off two Deere 12/12 Power Reversers and not a word was ever said about them being less valuable than a hydro. Hydros are for lawn mowers and combines, not compact, or farm tractore, just a power parasite. OK boys, (And girls) deluge him with all the Hydro propaganda, but he still don't need it. Nuff from me. Frank. ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-07-09          143529

Mostly one place I find 2 wd is hander than 4 wd is if you plant crops and need to change the tractor width. That does not show up on your list. 4 wd will get out of places a 2 wd drive will not. In working dirt, 4 wd can allow you to make a mess in wet dirt you should have allowed to dry before working it. At same time 4 wd can create false security and get you in places it can not get out of either. My M Kubota manual shows a little lager tillage ability with 4 wd over 2 wd of same hp. kt ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
twoguns

2007-07-09          143530

We use the 4WD Kubota M series tractors for all of our Deer Management Work. Couldn't ask for a better all around tractor. Very Strong, Dependable, confortable working unit !!!We keep the John Deere tractors in the fields for the working crops.
As some has said before, and I am true believer in having a quality dealer. They are what makes it really happen. I thank GOD for the dealers I have in area. For, I have heard some horror stories with others. Always make arrangements for if you tractor has to be serviced, they will let you use one to help you out (If Needed ) until yours get out. All deals need to be made BEFORE the check in written !!!! ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
pitt_md

2007-07-09          143548

Mostly, I have a 2006 MX5000 with 4WD. I think one of the bigger things to consider is the type of tires you plan on using. I had mine equiped with the industrial tires and they just don't offer the traction that the ag tires do. Without 4WD I would not be happy with the performance of the MX5000. For a little tractor the MX5000 with 4WD is a sweet piece of equipment. ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
RRagent

2007-07-10          143573

Good Advice, In 5 years I have only picked up wheelborrow 2 times, only because tractor culd't reach where I was going, Go with 4WD ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-09-13          145672

I'll definitely jump on the 4WD bandwagon here. For a CUT, the difference in capability is astounding. I grew up on a late 70s Kubota L175 that was 2WD. While it had R1s and was used mostly for gardening and mowing, at which it wa pretty well suited, the low weight was still an issue when towing trailers loaded with firewood out ot the woods. Now, with a L2800 that has a loader (I don't know how I lived so long without one), the 4WD is really indispensible.

When my dad bought his B7800 a few months ago, I advised him to go with the R4s and 4WD, even though he didn't purchase a FEL. He loves the tractor, and wouldn't be without 4WD now.

kthompson: My dad used to say this all the time (about trucks): "All four-wheel drive does is help you get stuck further off the hard road." ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-09-13          145678

mobilus, all I can say is been there and done that with the 4 wheel drive pickup. Have done less walking with 2 wheel drive. kt ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
jordan23

2007-09-13          145692

Spam deleted by moderator ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
jordan23

2007-09-13          145693

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
jordan23

2007-09-13          145694

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-09-13          145699

If you buy a 2wd look at the used ones, they don't retail well at all and can be picked up for a very good deal. Also, if you go 2wd get some chains for snow and soft ground. You will need a size bigger for traction with a 2wd so for almost the same price you can go a little smaller size tractor with 4wd. I will never go without 4wd, there are just too many times you will need it and when you get 4wd you will know what everyone is talking about. ....

Kubota 2wd or 4wd

View my Photos
Art White

2007-09-14          145707

I deal in a baby boomer area for the most part, the schools teach the kids enough to know they don't want to stay in NY and pay the taxes here!
When purchasing most people will never be able to wear out what we are selling them but they do look for a good value not a payment.
To compare a used two wheel drive tractor and a four wheel drive for resale, you will get every cent of the price difference and then some on trade for the four wheel drive!!!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login