Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B7800 Hydraulic Fluid for Backhoe

View my Photos
dorite
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-27          143259

The Kubota manual states the hydraulic fluid replacement for the backhoe on the B7800 is Kubota UDT.
I can't get Kubota products in our remote area but need to change it now. Does anyone know what the standard for the hydraulic fluid must be?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-27          143270

Any major brand of tractor hydraulic fluid will meet UDT specs and will say so on the label. This includes Deere and IH fluids

It can be as simple as going to Walmart and checking the labels there. ....

View my Photos
dorite

2007-06-28          143293

Thanks for your help. I will check it out. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-28          143296

It is possible to have the fluid shipped most anywhere as long as it's not to big of a container. The fluid perfered for cold temps is super udt, not udt for it's flow ability in cold weather. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-28          143297

Dorite,

If you must change your fluid now, and do not have Super UDT fluid available, I would suggest that you do what you have to do to make your backhoe serviceable for the short term, and then change your fluid again soon......especially before the cold weather begins to set in.

Most Kubota dealers will ship directly to your door. If you need help finding a helpful dealer, please check with Coleman Equipment, in Kansas. Mary, in the Parts Department, is a very helpful and friendly person.

Coleman Equipment
24000 W. 43rd Street
Bonner Springs, Kansas
(Contact: Mary, in Parts Department)
913-422-3040

Joel ....

Link:   Kubota Parts Online

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-28          143298

Dorite,

Kubota Super UDT Hydraulic Fluid

Kubota Part Number (1 gallon) 7000-40101

Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid, Extra protection for cold weather operation
Part Number: 70000-40101 Price: $17.60

(shipping not included in price)

Joel

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-28          143300

Dorite, whereabouts on Superior are you?

There are 'bota dealers at Thunder Bay and Manitoulin Island, and several dealers down here in the Toronto area that will gladly sell you any parts you need and just bill them to your credit card and ship them right to your door.

Drop me a note if you want some recommendations.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-06-28          143301

My answer was based on your need for UDT, not Super UDT.
Very few oils will match specs with Super UDT.

Synthetic hydraulic oils do and available from your local oil wholesale outfit. They might be price competitive when you factor in shipping on Super UDT.

But I have to ask....... why would you need to use oils that flow at -50 F in your backhoe when the ground freezes (and all digging stops) at +32 F ????

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-28          143303

We found out the hard way, that the old saying "The devil lives in the details" is absolutely right.

It turns out there are several oils which meet the minimum specification, but that they are NOT the SAME as UDT.

It turns out that UDT has a proprietary blend of additives which in many cases makes a world of difference. One of those additives seems to be the level of anti-foaming deterents in the oil.

Mark, up here your statement would not be quite correct, a large early snowfall that stays will act as an insulating blanket and prevent the frost from setting in, especially in well-drained sandy soils. We often encounter sites where there is little or no frost at all, even in mid-February. If you use a B/H with a thumb as a loader, of logs as an example, you would be working when the ground is frozen to minimize collateral damage to the site. Or if you are using the B/H for things like clearing an ice dam or breaking up a beaver dam.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-06-28          143314

I yield to the more experienced man.

I was also thinking that the backhoe pump and hydraulics might not be as hard as the HST on lubricating oils, therefor UDT or its equivalent might suffice.

Just to be clear, I have said here in the past and repeat now.... there is no better fluid for Kubota HST's than Super UDT. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-29          143321

Mark, not at all, and for most of this vast continent you are very correct, but here in the north east(ish) part where the snow is often light, fluffy & deep, not wind-driven hard pack, it acts as insulation keeping the frost out.

The other issue would be that as hydraulic fluid thickens with temperature, the natural tendancy of it would be to hold the air bubbles created by forcing the fluid through tiny openings, etc.

I do most whole-heartedly agree though, the Super UDT is really top drawer stuff.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-29          143323

Murf,

I'm one of those idiots who lives where the snow gets wind-driven and hard-packed 6 months out of the year, and where temperatures all-too-frequently get down to 40 below zero.

A few years back, we had one of the worst blizzards on record, followed by temperatures of -40 for a week straight. I tell you this for a reason.

My neighbor had a three story house, but I couldn't see it after that blizzard. The only part of the house still showing was the chimney. The snow had been blown in so deep that even the attic windows were buried.

My neighbors still had phone service. They called their son to tell him that they were unable to get out of their home. They were trapped by the snow. (My son and I stood atop a drift on Main Street, where we were able to see over every building in town, except the grain elevator.)

Their son owns a backhoe, but he didn't know how to approach the problem, as the snow made it impossible for him to get close to the house. With a little engineering and some bravery, he first placed plywood on the snow, and then drove his backhoe up to the house. When he reached the house, his backhoe was sitting on over 30 feet of snow.

He began by digging out a firm base for his tractor, and then moved the plywood so that he could begin working to free his parents from their home. He managed to get the attic windows cleared, which he finished off with a shovel. Once his parents were out of the house, he then began doing the backhoe shuffle, until he was able to clear a trench down to their front door. It took him two days to get access to the front door on the house.

His backhoe worked perfectly. The biggest problem, short of solid footing, was that his hydraulic hoses kept cracking and breaking from flexing in the very cold weather.

So........even up here on the frozen tundra we find a need for a backhoe once in a while, even when the ground is frozen solid and the temperatures are -40.

Even so, there is no hope of shutting off the TLB until the job is finished. Once we get outdoors in those temps, we leave our tractors run until the job is complete. Fuel gels, oil turns into honey, hoses break, and the seats are become hard as rock.......but somehow we manage.

Joel ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-06-29          143326

Wow, what a story. Was the FEL totally ineffective on drifted snow? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-29          143329

DRankin,

The front end loader is just as effective in the cold weather, but in this particular case the man's tractor was stationary, due to the plywood base he was operating on.

He used the loader to make a flat base from which to operate his backhoe. It was a very time consuming job, as his traveling distance was limited to the amount of plywood he had in front of him. After getting close to the house, he then used the backhoe, because it was the only thing that would operate in those quarters.

His parents can't help but share this story with everyone they meet. Their son, on the other hand, would like to forget the entire event. He was a very tired and cold man for most of three days. hehehe.

Joel ....

View my Photos
backwoodsal

2007-06-30          143332

I'm not doubting that Super UDT is better but on the other hand there are lots of hydraulic equipment that doesn't use synthetic hydraulic oil yet operates in extremely cold temperatures. Does your BH have a pump driven off the PTO, I'm assuming it does, or does it connect to your tractor's hydraulics? Also as someone who lives in an area that sees -40 temps I try to avoid using any equipment. If I have to I either store it inside to keep it warm or preheat it with a space heater to warm it up because it is so hard on the equipment. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-30          143333

Backwoodsal,

I'm happy to learn that I'm not the only person who lives in such a cold climate as we have here in northern North Dakota.

You're right, Sir. Starting any piece of equipment when the temperatures are -40, or colder, can be VERY DESTRUCTIVE.

It takes a lot of planning and preparation, with no short cuts at all, in order to keep a piece of expensive equipment operational for many years in this weather.

We even change the air in our tires twice per year. (Just kidding) With every 10 degree drop in temperature, tire pressures will fall about 1 PSI. No big deal for most people.......but our temperatures change 140-180 degrees from winter to summer. That makes for a pressure difference of 14 to 18 PSI per tire.

That's just one of many things we have to plan for up here in the great white north........as you well know.

Nice to meet you.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-07-01          143356

When I was is high school I worked in a car dealership and there was a couple of fellows that taught me a lot. On coild weather operation it is interesting that some oils get so thick they are very slow to pour just by putting them in a freezer. ....

View my Photos
iamhistory

2007-07-12          143641

Joel.......that's quite interesting. I thought we had cold and snow here in PA but we've not come close to that! ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-12          143647

IamHistory,

North Dakota's record high temp and record low temp occurred within 5 months of each other, back in 1936

In February of 1936 the record low was -60 F.
In July of 1936 the all-time record high was +121 F.

That's a temperature swing of 181 degrees, in less than 6 months time.

Granted, in most years our temps don't get that hot, nor that cold. However, temps of +110 and -50 are not all that rare.

We carefully choose our oils and other lubricants, because one just never knows what the temps are going to be like before the next oil change comes due.

North Dakota's weather will test the extremes on nearly anything made.......and I can tell you from experience that most things fail to operate properly at -40 and below. If you've never heard a car scream back at you, try starting one in North Dakota, in January! The noises a car makes at -40 will scare a guy!

Joel ....

Link:   National Temperature Extremes

View my Photos
Art White

2007-07-13          143656

Traveling through air ports I remember seeing that Fairbanks Alaskas highest heat day was one degree above Honolulu's! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login