Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota L2800 or John Deere JD 790

View my Photos
kangaroo31
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-22          143124

Need help. Very new in Agriculture Industry. Just bought a piece of 36 acres land in orange county, NY. 16 acres muck land can farm. 16 acres forest I don't know how the people use it.
For that 16 acres muck land, plan to grow some vegetables and nursery plant in the next 5 years. The land is flat, dirt is very soft. I think I just need a simple tractor with FEL and Tiller.Since it is black dirt, 16 inches ground clearance is must be.
Considering L2800 or JD 790 now. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-23          143137

I seem to have lost about four acres, is that lawn? Will the tractor also have to do that duty to? I know that much of the muck land I've seen has been farmed off enough the muck is not as deep as years ago when only worked with dozers. I would recommend the ag tires for the traction needed to till or work with this type soil. They would not be good for the lawn area. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-06-23          143139

Kangaroo and Art; First Art is right on with the tire choice advice, Ag work needs R-1 tires, but they are nasty on the lawn. I use R-4's, they are gentle enough for the lawn but they don't hold a candle to R-1's for field work, I've got other tractors for that. My next queation is to both of you, please describe what you call "Muck Land". Are you are talking about flat black soils that are poorly drained and high in organic matter, but the best soil types on the face of the earth when tiled out? Around here we called that Slough ground,(Pronounced Slew), or in simple terms swamp land. It got farmed some years when we had a dry spring, but in years of normal rainfall it sometimes just went unused. It was just bogs and slough grass that cattle wouldn't eat, some of it that was never farmed was virgin praire. I don't know if I should be proud to say that I'm old enough to have broken virgin praire or not, but I did drain and break virgin praire in the early 60's. After WW2 farmers began to realize that the most productive soil types they owned were in the sloughs and bogs. That is when drain tile came into the picture. During about a 20 year period after WW2 Uncle Sam even paid part of the cost to drain the swamps and turn it into the best corn producing land in the world. Not to brag, but we Iowan's own 25% of the grade A farmland in the USA. In the past few years the State DNR has put strict rules in place to stop draining the "Wetlands" in Iowa for the benefit of the wildlife, so if you did'nt get the swamp drained 20 years ago either forget it or do it in the dark. All this rambling is leading up to me wondering if your New York "Muck Land" is the same as our Swamp land and needs to be tiled before it is productive or if it is naturally drained enough to make it easy to farm. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-23          143150

Thanks, Art. That 4 acres is almost all forest too but is high land with solid fundation, hopefully I can put some bulidings on that later. Other 32 (include 16 forest) are muck land. The open 16 acres 20 years before is a farm. Right now, all the ditch system are almost dispeared. That is why it is zoning as wet land now.
My problem is I don't know what is my necessary tool list for vege and nursery shrubs. Kubota L2800 or John Deere JD 790 to me because they are simple than some new models. Looks like 800-1300lb small loader, and 4'-5' tiller and rought cut mower can do 90% jobs now. But I really don't know what is waiting for me. Because if that is the most of jobs in next 5 years, what are the real differentd to choose 25HP, 29HP or 34HP to me? I am also researching Kioti CK25 and Mahindra 2615. Mahindra 2615 right now have $650 rebate and 0% finance for 48 month until July, 31. But all the dealers are 80-100 miles away:-(. Normally, it is necessary to visit often? small parts are very easy order from internet now. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-23          143152

hardwood:
So happy you can reply my post. I don't like working in the city for rest of my life. That is why I bought this land to start from a side business first. In past 5 years I try the almost every kind of available vege and nursery items in my back yard. But don't have any field experiance before. So many thing need to learn. Orange county NY (with 2 hr from Manhattan) has one of the biggest onion planting acres in US. They are all plant on this kind of black dirt muck land.
It is naturally drained enough to make it easy to farm. My land is right on the north border of this magic area. The thick of black dirt is 15 feet here. idea for vege growing. There is old well on the land and a stream cross the field to a small river. Because no farming on this land in the past 20 years, all the ditches need re-build. Now it is wet partially when heavy rainning. Look at the picture I post. I love all kinds of planning.

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Kubota L2800 or John Deere JD 790

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-06-24          143155

Kangaroo: 15 feet of topsoil, WOW that is exceptional. How did it get there, the glacier, erode in from higher ground? By the looks of the picture I'd say you have abouit as much organic matter in the top foot as can be had, that's good. If New York rules are anything like Iowa, getting land back out of wetlands can be a tough deal, perhaps with some history and evedence of past agricultural activity on the land might help. You have a big job ahead to try to bring all the Muck Land back into production in one fell swoop, perhaps rent some to a neighbor for general farm crops and do maybe 2 or three acres to start. Three acres with a tiller is a BIG job. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-24          143157

Thanks, hardwood. Actually I love all kinds of hardwood 2. Especially cocobolo and all kinds of rose woods. I installed 1500 sf hardwood floor in my home by myself.;-)

Tiller upto 3 acres is a BIG job? But I am really no idea how BIG it is with 790 or L2800 and a 4'-5' tiller. One day job (8hr), two days? Could you give me a hint? This kind of experience can not learn from books.:-(

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-06-25          143176

Kangaroo; After reading your posts on the 790 doing the long list of things you want done I'm afraid you may not understand the size tractor in relation to the size of the jobs you want done. The picture of your muck land tells me you need a regular farm tractor that will pull a three furrow moldboard plow to "Turn Under" all the grass you have growing, and you may have to first kill the grass with Roundup then burn it off to get that much grass thru a plow without it pluging up. I am only assuming that you have a regular off farm job besides doing the 16 acres of muck with the tiller, so I questioned where you would find the time to use a tiller for that many acres. I've never did a full 16 acres at one time with my tiller which is bigger than yours, but without any rock/root/grass plugging problems I've spent 2-3 hours tilling one acre, so even with a bigger machineyou would likely spend 40-50 hours of solid tiling to do 16 acres. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-25          143179

Kangaroo,

Frank (Hardwood) is correct. You're in need of a big tractor and some serious farm implements before you'll be able to break up your land. This is a job for a much larger tractor, probably in the 90-140 horsepower range.

You have several options to consider. You could hire a local farmer to come over and break up your soil for you. After that, you may be able to care for your land with a smaller tractor. If this is not an option, you may decide to purchase a much larger tractor than the two you have listed here.

Large farm tractors are easy to find, and they don't cost as much as you might think, especially if you are willing to purchase a used one. Plows and cultivators are very cheap, if you're interested in attending farm retirement auctions.

Most farm tractors have the necessary hydraulic remotes installed, which you will need to operate the hydraulic cylinders on a plow, or cultivator. If you are willing to spend a little time fixing up an old plow, and cultivator, you could probably obtain all three implements for only a couple of thousand dollars, or even less.

Recently, at a farm retirement auction I attended, I could have purchased an older four-bottom plow for less than 200 dollars. And an older Case tractor, needed to pull such a plow, sold for less than 3000 dollars, in running condition.

You would never be out a single penny when making such a purchase, as there are many people, like you, who would be willing to purchase the tractor and the implements from you, once are done using them.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-25          143189

candoarms & hardwood
Thanks so much spending time on a agriculture junior like me. Each word you wrote is very appriciated.
I may let a local farmer help bottom plow 6 acres this year first, and buy a 40HP around new tractor with FEL and Tiller do the rest jobs. I am also a agrigulture mechanic dummy now. New tractor and implement with guarantee is a must to me. I plan to plant some fall oriental veges for testing purpose this year.
I have no idea about how loud the noise when operation too? 80-110 db I read from internet. I know I can wear a 29-30 db nrr ear muff to protect. But, this article I linked still scare me little bit.:-(
Is HST and 4 cylinders engin helpful?

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-25          143194

Kangaroo,

If you are worried about hearing protection, may I suggest a tractor with a cab?

The newer cabs offer tremendous sound protection, making it possible to talk on a phone, or listen to a radio, as if you were in your own living room. They also have air conditioning, very comfortable seating, and even heat for operating the tractor in comfort during the middle of the winter. (when feeding animals, blowing snow, etc.) A cab will also protect you from all of those pesty insects (and bees) that inhabit those wetlands you are working up.

I would seriously consider a cab for your tractor, as you will be spending a tremendous amount of time outdoors. This will allow you to work in the sun all day long, as well as during any brief rain showers. Just having a radio to listen to will make your day in the field so much more enjoyable. Of course, you will also be able to enjoy a cup of coffee, or a soft drink while working. Additionally, you won't have to worry about all the dirt and dust getting into your hair, ears, and nose while mowing, or cultivating.

Hydrostatic drive is nice to have when doing a whole lot of loader work; or when operating in tight quarters, where you will be turning and backing up frequently. However, on a piece of land the size you are working, this feature is likely not necessary. Unless you are unable to operate a clutch, You'll be better off saving the money you would spend on the hydro drive and putting it toward a comfortable cab.

Take your time when making the decision to purchase a tractor. Talk to your farmer friends and get their advice. You'll find that many farmers in your area have a great amount of experience working the same type of land you have, making their experiences invaluable to you when selecting a tractor for your needs.

Flotation may be one area of concern. You don't want to be getting stuck in the muck. Pulling a stuck tractor out of the mud is not an easy chore! You may need 4-wheel drive, or even dual rear tires in order to keep from sinking into the muck, especially during the wet Spring months.

I wish you all the best. Nice getting to know you.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-25          143198

Thanks,Joel!
I think I do need a cab (wimp, I just learned this word ;-) ) The problem is I don't have enough time to pick the tractor and implement if I want to do some farming this year. :-( . Mid of August is the deadline for fall veges this area. And I think new tractor deliver need at least 3-4 weeks?
Within 20K budget, 35-40HP tractor ,FEL, 5' tiller, Cab. What is the best choice? I am getting confuse now. Rent a 35-40HP tractor with tiller could be a choice for this year?
Bin ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-25          143202

Just find any Cab version at least 4-5K more. I think 23K budget are more reasonable. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-25          143203

Kangaroo,

We just had a long night of rain and thunderstorms, making it impossible for me to go out into the back pasture to do any tractor work today, which allows me more time to spend with my good friends here this morning.

I honestly believe you'd be better off waiting until next year before getting serious about doing any gardening or planting. It's going to take you a good long time to get your land in any condition to do any planting this year. Trust me on this. Newly broken sod is packed plum full of dormant weed seeds, just waiting to be tilled under so that they can sprout. If you till your land up this year, and then plant anything in it, you'll find that the weeds will overtake your entire garden.

I would try to get your land broken up and cultivated this year, and then let the weeds grow to a few inches in height before working it again. You'll be amazed at the number and the density of the weeds that take root. If you have a garden planted, it will make it very difficult for you to handle the weed problem this year.

You're always going to have weeds to take care of. I don't want to mislead you in any way. However, you'll be shocked at the amount of unwanted vegetation that appears shortly after you first break up a piece of virgin soil. You'll be far better off letting those weeds grow now, which will eliminate a huge number of weed seeds that are already there.

Take the necessary time to find a tractor that is suitable to the task at hand. It's a one-time purchase that should not be done in haste.

As us Minnesota Vikings say......."There's always next year." hehehe. Let nature take its course. Let the weeds take root this year. You'll not be happy with your gardening experience should you try to force mother nature to bend to your wishes.

Take your time and go shopping for a tractor. Spend as much time as you need to get the machine to do the job right. I assure you, this is time well-spent.

Have great day, my friend.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-25          143206

Kangaroo,

I just took a look at the listings shown on tractorhouse.com

Here's a possibility for you. Type in "2096" in the search box. Find the Case 2096 listed for $10,900. This is a 115 horsepower tractor with cab, captain's chair, folding armrests, and three hydraulic remotes. This tractor also has a three-point hitch, as well as the option of adding a set of dual rears.

There's another, just like it, listed for $13,500.

Maybe the Case 2096 isn't exactly what you want, but it's a good example of what you're going to need to handle the work you have in mind. And with a budget of 20,000, you should be able to get something on this order without much trouble.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-25          143207

I learned a lot. Thanks, Joel! You have a great day. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-06-27          143251

Reading about your neighbors and knowing they would already have the equipment to work your land why don't you let them use it for a year? Even if it was free you still would gain a better knowledge of your ground and your needs by watching them. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-27          143256

I am not living there now, about 25 minutes drive. I will ask them. Little bit concerning about pesticide using. :-( ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-06-30          143335

During the crop growing season farmers do get a break from normal chores and they still could be a cheap investment in doing the initial tillage work that you. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login