Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
BillShenefelt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-14          142089

I bought the BX24 not the 1850. Now a question on the mower decks. Kubota has two deck designs, one a std and the other finecut. I was reading that the deck is a bear to remove. There seems to be a differnence in suspension on the BX24. Anyone know what the 54 vs 60 inch deck specs really are for the BX24 opr if a "finecut deck" fits on the BX24? Nothing in the Kubota ad sheet other than the 24 is different in the mount or suspension. I don't want to get trouble to just pick up 6 inches in deck size. The 60 inch deck weighs a ton more than the 54 inch Should be pretty good if weight means anything. Just hate to pick the wrong deck if the 60 inch is trouble and the 54 is not.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-14          142090

I have a BX2230 with a 54 inch deck and love it. I am not familiar with the issues you talk about with a 60 inch. The 54 is a snap to take off and service. I am glad I don't have the 60 because there are just enough tight spots I get into with the mower on that I would not want the 60...and besides I just don't think you pick up enough extra to warrant the extra hassle.

Brian ....

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-05-15          142120

I have a BX2230 with a 54 inch deck and love it. I am not familiar with the issues you talk about with a 60 inch. The 54 is a snap to take off and service.
1* I am glad I don't have the 60 because there are just enough tight spots I get into with the mower on that I would not want the 60.
2*.I just don't think you pick up enough extra to warrant the extra hassle.

Brian

==============
1*I have the 60'' deck on my BX23. Wouldn't want to give it up for a 54 incher.
Unlike you I have lots of wide open spaces with plenty of room for the 60'' mower. What few spots i can't get into are taken care of with a CC with a 54'' mower

2*I have both sizes of mowers a 54'' deck on a CC gt 2554 and a 60'' deck on the bx23.

Can I tell the mowing time difference between the 54 and 60 inch decks-Sure can.

Where I can really tell the difference in mowing time is when me and the wife mow together.
I just love that 9 and one half foot mowing swath.
LB59
PS : I hate trimming and the narrower the mowing deck the more that's left to trim after the mowing is done.

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
montelatici

2007-05-16          142153

The 60 inch is removed the same way as the 54 inch (same manual). It weighs about 20 more pounds but it is self-balancing. The extra inches actually help when trying to cut along fences and there is not much difference in mobility. Not a big deal, but I would go with the wider deck having a choice and little price difference. ....

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-05-17          142157

The extra inches actually help when trying to cut along fences
montelatici
================
And cuts closer along ditches leaving less to trim with a trimmer.

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-17          142167

In the grander scheme of things, you would never really notice the difference between a 54" and 60" deck on the SAME machine.

It is an 11% increase in width, which sounds substantial, but the reality of it is if you gain 6" per pass, and you are cutting say an area 100' in width, a 54" deck would take at least 19 passes to cut it, a 60" deck would take at least 17 passes, this of course is in a perfect world where the 60" deck cuts exactly 60" of uncut grass with no overlap or missed spots.

So the bottom line is, on area of 100' in width, it MIGHT save you one pass up & back.

However, as BVance pointed out, if it causes you grief, and grief equals lost time somewhere else, you really only spent some extra money on a bigger deck, you didn't really gain anything at all.

Best of luck. ....

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-19          142220

Got the 60. So far it does not seem a problem. Now for mynext venture I need to get the back tire rims broken to add the Rim Guard I bought. Hopefully I can get just a little broken so it wont't be too tough to reseal them after adding the stuff. I bought some from a John Deere dealer not too far from home. My Kuboda dealer uses wiper fluid but is out and cannot pump the Rimgard for me. One fellow there is concerned about resealing the rims and another says no swet, not sure how it will go. The deck is much easier to install uninstall than the backhoe. Not that the backhoe is all that tough but realignment can be a hassle and take a varied amount of time depending on your luck (And I assume added experience with it. ....

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-22          142332

I hate to be the voice of reason in this thread, but....

Why are you permanently adding weight to a grass cutting machine?

I understand ballast and snow, and how nicely they go together, but, grass and extra weight are definitely a bad combination, especially if you have anything but turf tires, and I mean full-on ballon turfs.

The nicest mower in the world won't give you a first class lawn if it gets torn up by the tires every time you go out on it. Excess wieght will also leave noticeable ruts in soft ground.

Best of luck. ....

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-05-22          142334

Great question Murf!

Murf to some extent couldn't he just change his tire air pressure to increase/decrease traction for his around the yard use? If grip mowing the grass is the issue? ....

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-05-22          142354

1* I need to get the back tire rims broken to add the Rim Guard I bought.
2*Hopefully I can get just a little broken so it won't be too tough to reseal them after adding the stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~BillShenefelt~~~~~~~~~~

1*Why in the world would you have to break the tire bead to add fluid?
I always thought fluid was put in tires through the valve stem not injected between the tire bead and the rim.
I must admit you really have me Befuddled on this one!
2*How are you going to keep the stuff in there when you go to air up a tire with a broken bead seal.
Won't the air just blow the fluid out of the tire before it seats up and seals the bead?

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-22          142358

Air pressure will definitely change the traction a tire develops.

However, the basic problem remains, adding weight will adversely affect the 'turf-friendly' aspect of the machine unless you increase the load-bearing area of the tire.

Period.

While it is true, you can air up a tire and decrease the footprint size, thus limiting the amount of turf exposed to the weight, unfortunately, that also means the tire is bloated in the center of the tread, and that means the smaller area of tire, carrying the same (or more) weight, will just push down into the dirt that much worse.

Breaking the bead is an old trick for loading tires, you break the bead at the '12 o'clock high' position and squirt the product in. The tension of the tire usually holds the tire tight enough against the bead for it to seal long enough to build sufficient pressure to re-seat the bead.

However, you can buy the fitting from almost any supply house (like Northern) and fill it through the valve stem too. Last time I looked the filler fitting was under $10.

Best of luck. ....

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-22          142359

<<<1*Why in the world would you have to break the tire bead to add fluid?I always thought fluid was put in tires through the valve stem not injected between the tire bead and the rim.
I must admit you really have me Befuddled on this one!
2*How are you going to keep the stuff in there when you go to air up a tire with a broken bead seal.
Won't the air just blow the fluid out of the tire before it seats up and seals the bead?
>>>

Rim Guard is about as thick as 10 wt motor oil. Real tough to pump and remember every time you would put some in, it increases the pressure and air must come out so it could take a long time doing it through a valve stem. I broke the beads all the way around. (they have very stiff sidewalls so it oulld not break at a small region only.) The tires stayed pretty close to the rims. I just poured it in til I got enough that some started showing at the edge of the rim(tire was laying down on the side opposite the valve stem, on one edge raised about 3 inches above the other edge.) I put a screwdriver between the rim and the tire bead at the upper region of the rim and poured it in. I just used my compressor with no fitting on the hose other than the threaded adapter for the quick disconnect. I just slipped it over the stem and the walls sealed quickly and started filling the tire. A little blew back at me (well less than a tablespoon ful total) but only the material that had collected on the bead. Worked just fine and took maybe 5 minutes a tire. Took longer than that trying to lift them into place and start the lug bolts. Now they weightd about 155 pounds each!

BX24 mower deck s

View my Photos
BillShenefelt

2007-05-22          142360

<<< hate to be the voice of reason in this thread, but....

Why are you permanently adding weight to a grass cutting machine?

I understand ballast and snow, and how nicely they go together, but, grass and extra weight are definitely a bad combination, especially if you have anything but turf tires, and I mean full-on ballon turfs.

The nicest mower in the world won't give you a first class lawn if it gets torn up by the tires every time you go out on it. Excess wieght will also leave noticeable ruts in soft ground.>>>

First, not being adventuresome, I don't mow when the ground is wet. Second we have clay soil here and unless it is wet, you won't leave anything close to a rut. I usually drive my car into the front yard to bring in groceries unless we had some rain. I had a sears 19 HP with agi's that did not bother the yard one bit. With a 1500 pound tractor, adding 200 pounds is not going to make much difference in how deep it pushes into the ground, just how stable it may be. Just adding more weight down low. The tires are pretty wide, about a foot. I have a tire similar to an agi but a little flatter. Has cleats about an inch wide on one inch centers. Does not tear anything up. I do not have a golf green or for that matter even a decent fairway for a lawn. I'm not sure I would use the tire type I have for a sodded lawn or not though. Mine is not that great.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login