Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 Year Update

View my Photos
murphyg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-10          136790

Well it has been about 3 years since I joined the Kubota family. I have a BX 2230 and it has exceeded every expectation I had. I followed the advice to the experts on this forum and keep the fuel dry and filtered. Did the maintenance using Kubota oils and parts. My biggest surprise is how little fuel the tractor uses versus my previous Deere gas machine. In talking with people that have bought the BX2350 they seem to be using almost twice as much fuel as I do. Is that possible? I realize the 2350 has a little more power, but power has never been an issue with my machine.

Because of my positive experiences with my Kubota diesel, my neighbor decided to switch to diesel, however it is a Deere with a Yanmar. That is a nice machine also. The engine is a little noisier and seem to use more fuel that the Kubota. Thanks again to Murf, Art, Drankin, Chief and the many others that have helped make this a very useful forum to read.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 Year Update

View my Photos
charlieK
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-11          136802

I'll 2nd that motion there MURPHYG. alot of good has come to me thru this site. ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-11          136805

Glad to have you aboard. You didn't mention the specific Deere model your neighbor has but it may well be a direct injection engine. Generally they are both noisier and more efficient than indirect injection engines (which your Kubota may have). ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-11          136806

Glad we could help. ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-11          136807

Ken, and how are they more efficient? ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-11          136809

Here's a link that describes it better than I can. ....

Link:   Direct vs. Indirect injection

3 Year Update

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-11          136811

Ken, I liked the article but we are talking tractors here not to say that they don't cross. There is good with both, on the tractors of coarse they don't get to heavy into the electronics yet but it is coming. The best cold weather starting engines I've seen so far is the Kubota and they have been starting their indirect injected diesels to temps of -25 here with out being plugged in. They don't smoke as much as the direct injections do when they cold start and they do produce good life. The indirect is far cheaper to build for this industry as the head castings are far easier to cast and you have less pieces. Kubota's compared to many other tractor engines just seem to sip fuel compared to many. I don't like the idea of the full electronics although in some big tractor demo's this spring we found that the electronic injection system did have great results in the field, actually quite outstanding compared to the other tractor that was subsoiling with the same machine. To date I haven't seen anything in this industry that starts better then the indirect for cold weather, when kept in a garage the indirect shines again because of less cold smoke. We are seeing some big improvements in the direct and I know they are at working on them but some of my favorites for performance as well as known longevity is still the indirect. I know it will be a bit yet before they get to the direct with more electronic control and that will be the biggest move for them but in the field they still aren't the best for cold weather starrting for what I've seen on the big tractors.. While working with the pullers we always go direct so I'm not in one field here or the other, just observations from a few thousand tractors. ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-11          136813

In tractors noise and a little cold-start smoke is more tolerable than on cars so it might be a good trade for a little increased efficiency. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference but I thought the original poster would be interested in why his neighbors Deere might be a little noisier. I can't speak to -25, but my JD starts just fine here at 15 degrees without preheat. ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-11          136820

Ken you will hate this but in this area the bulk of dairy farmers all had at least one IH because of their ability to start here in the cold. It is amazing as to how one model of these tractors started even better then the other although they were using nearly identical components. Turbos started better then non turbo, the shorter stroke also started better, go figure! These are the same bore and head engines. ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
murphyg

2006-11-12          136834

Hi Ken and Art,

Thanks to you also Ken. You gave me a lot of very good advice over the years. His Deere is a 748, one of the new X series. In our own comparison, it seems that his tractor uses about 30% more fuel to do the same job. His tractor is 24 HP versus the 22 of mine. Our study was not strickly scientifically controlled. However, we both agreed his machine was using more fuel than mine. We have lawns that are almost exactly the same size and we both bag the entire lawn when mowing. He really likes the Diesel. Thanks to both of you for years of excellent advice. ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-12          136838

Murphyg, you're welcome for anything I've said that you've found useful. Sometimes I just ramble :) Interesting on the fuel consumption difference. The reasons are probably buried in the details of weight, gear ratios, level of break-in, tire sizes, and assorted other differences and probably will never be known for sure. Could be something as simple as not running at the optimum gear or engine speed during operation. ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
murphyg

2006-11-12          136840

Yes, his machine is new. Mine is broken in. Anyway the fuel consumption is much less than his previous machine. I think he said he it is a least twice as good as the gas equivalent. Both machines are HST drive. He just traded a 585 for this 748. They made him a great deal he could not resist. ....

3 Year Update

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-12          136842

There is much to the weight as many tractors have weighed to much for their every day tasks which causes extra fuel to be consumed. There are many differences in the engines themselves in design which often give an advantage for a certain type of performance. I think everyone here likes to help and it makes for a great place to learn for everyone. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login