Go Bottom Go Bottom

Is this tractor strong enough

View my Photos
emmigirl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-08-14          133316

Finding lots of helpful information here. We are getting our b7510 hst turf special on thurs. We thought it was a heck of a deal with only 13 hrs on it. Salesmen says it will be more than enough tractor for our use. We plan on brush cutting an acre meadow, finish mowing about an acre of grass around our camp. Hoping to keep a wandering trail maintained within the 62 acres. It really isnt a long trail. Hoping to also clean up a fence row that has had broken up tree limbs and brush and perhaps pulling out a few stumps. Is this all possible with the b7510. It has a FEL, a MMM and a brush cutter. I was just concerned with horsepower. Salesman says.. As long as your not in a hurry it will handle all the jobs. Is he right? Any input would be much appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-14          133318

If you are not wanting to lift round bales a small tractor will do anything a large one will only slower. I had a 755 and did all that with ease. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-14          133319

Welcome to TractorPoint! A small tractor can do a lot of work. Be careful with the stumps though. They can be real hard work with just a loader. Don't go digging at them with one corner of the loader, it's a good way to rack the loader frame. ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-14          133321

What is the best way to remove a stump. They are white pine and tend to root mainly on the top of the ground rather? than deep. Some stumps left behind are 3 ft tall if that helps. Someone said i should sort of try to push it with the loader slowly and try to loosen it and then turn the tractor around and put a chain on it and try to pull it out. I think with turf tires they will just spin. This is all a learning experience and have no problem going low and slow. What are anyones opinions on bucket teeth. Does it help in clearing brush and branches. We are just trying to save our backs and enjoy the land. Logger went thru a few years ago before we were there and left a terrible mess behind. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-14          133322

The best way? Probably a big bulldozer :)

For a small tractor sometimes if the stump is tall and you can get enough traction and the stump is small enough you can just push it over and tear the roots. If you can't tear the roots you might be able to dig around it and work it back and forth to expose the roots and then take a chainsaw to them. The bucket curl function is strong so if you can get the edge of the bucket under a root and curl it up you can do some damage to the stump. Whatever you do, don't try to ram the bucket into it. That's a good way to break something. It can be a lot of work even with a tractor but if you take your time it can be done. A backhoe attachment makes it easier but it can be done without.

What I did here was wind our trail around the biggest stumps so I didn't have to mess with them. It adds character when hiking the trail. ....

View my Photos
ihookem

2006-08-14          133323

I got a 7510. Don't be fooled by the 21 horse, a 21 horse diesel is a world away from the 21 horse gas lawn mowers. It is one tough machine. I never went lacking horsepower yet. As for stumps it's hard to say. They have been dead a few years and are rotting but if they are 12" stumps they will most likely come out and you might be surprised. A 24" or 30 " stump is for a bull dozer. Mowing? you won't believe this thing! With my mmm I go right over prickery ash with half inch shoots, four foot high grass, prickers and anything else. As for turf tires, they do spin easier, but in low gear at 1500 rpm, 4wd with locking differentials(left heel pedal) This thing goes and I ain't kidding. Even with turfs I plow snow till it comes over the bucket and still goes till I hit ice. The only thing I think could use improvement is maybe a middle gear. I have bogged down in high gear at 11-1300 rpm going up hill cutting grass and plowing but low just goes up steep hills in idle. We got a snow storm last winter with 30" drifts and 40mph wind and got stuck, so at a cross wind to let the wind blow the snow away, I backed up in high at 2200rpm and rammed the drifts into the sky. Nothing but a white out for fifty yards. Today I scatterd 22 tons of stone around a house for my sister inlaws landscape co. It took three hours in high gear and left it on 1100rpm, (idle) ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-15          133325

Thanks to everyone for their input. Getting the tractor Thursday and spending the weekend with it so i'm sure i'll have more questions after getting used to it. My friends are making fun of me because i'm so excited over a tractor. Well, the family has spent endless days doing backbreaking work, i've been scratched up head to toe on the briar trail, not to mention tripping and falling over some hidden debris.. so you bet i'm excited to get a tractor. Thanks again to everyone. By the way, what about teeth for the bucket. Makes me wish i paid more attention to my grandpap who could weld anything. Any ideas what a bucket costs for these machines. Should i be looking for anything in particular? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-15          133326

You have a few different options with the stumps. If they are in the woods, (not your yard) dig around them so you can cut them off right at ground level. If you will be cutting over them be sure you are below the height the cutter will cut down to. This is probably your lowest cost option.

If you have large stumps and they are solid but only a few, you may find having them ground to be a good option.

With either of these the stump will slowly rot and leave you a hole to be filled in.

If the stumps have been there a few years, you may find them more rotten than you think.

If the stumps are solid (a rotten stump can let a chain slice through it very quickly, being dangerous to equipment and people. I have hooked a chain or strap to the top of stumps, tighten it up and let your SPOUSE use shovel and Axe to cut the roots. The steady pull will normally show where the roots are in the ground. A technique I used in my finished lawn was to place soaker hose around the base of a live tree (growing roots) for a couple of days. It was cut off about 4 feet high for leverage. It pulled right over with little damage to the lawn.

Congratulatons on your purchase and welcome to Tractor Point. God Bless you and your efforts.

Patience is good on any such job. So are gloves and back rubs.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-15          133331

Be sure you use clean fuel and proper anti gelling treatment in it. ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-15          133332

salesman also added.. for winter storage that we add a little kerosene to the gas.. this would make a gel so things to freeze and crack. does that sound right?

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-15          133333

Ignore the salesman, it will work, but it's not the best or safest.

Get some top quality diesel additive like "Power Service" and add it according to the instructions on the label. It will not only keep the fuel from gelling, but it will make it burn better and cleaner all year round.

You didn't say how big around theose stumps are. If they are not too big they can be (patiently) dug with the loader. If they big enough that they are the result of logging, I would say they're a little too big to be practical. See if you have a neighbour with a big tractor or dump truck who's willing to help. Otherwise consider hiring a local with a backhoe or bulldozer.

The couple hundred dollars it might cost would be nothing in the way of a repair bill if you do some damage to your new tractor.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-15          133340

Im central NY the fuel comes a 50/50 mix after the end of September to all retailers. That is enough of a mix, to much dries out injection pumps. We recommend Power Service as a year round additive that covers the winter. There are bolt in bars that slide over the cutting edge with teeth that are easy to remove for grading and they do help with ripping things loose. ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-15          133345

This is for Art who just left a message here...Small world..I believe i just bought my tractor from your store. Awesome reputation you guys have as well as straightforward salesman Ed. We will doing business again i'm sure.. renting a bulldozer..thanks for your input ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-15          133347

Come on, Art has a satisfied customer?

Very serous, from what I have ever seen of Art there must be many who fit as satisfied customer. Has impressed me.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-15          133350

Ah... land and a tractor... Life just doesn't get any better. Once you have the tractor, you'll come up with all sorts of uses for it. I throw bags of mulch in my loader bucket for hauling to what ever trees I need to work on. They do quite a bit of stuff. Have fun, be safe.

Last piece of advice: If your gut says don't so it, then don't. Safest way to operate a tractor. I've almost flipped one before and it didn't have a ROPS. Think and you'll be fine. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-08-22          133588

emmigirl -
What you're going to find, with the pine stumps, is that the chainsaw will be dulled out in the matter of seconds, as you will inevitably miss some dirt or a rock - then that is the ball game.
My suggestion - go to your local Home Depot or the like, and either buy or rent a portable (battery operated) SawZall. Get an assortment of very aggressive blades (4tpi as an example), and have at the root lines. If they are close enough to the house or barn, where you have power, a regular 120VAC unit will work fine. It will save you alot of mess, costly repairs to a chainsaw, and alot of sharpening. I recommend this to all my customers, and after they have finished - they thank me for advising them of the practice.

You can start with the bucket with some pressure against the stump to expose them thar roots to make it easier. Then all of a sudden the beast will be nipped and the orange will just move it away like an ant carries food away!
I have a couple of B7500's (as well as older B5200's) - and they will do a fantastic job, if you let the tractor do the work, rather than bullying the tractor to do the work.

Take it slow, low range, and as pointed out, with your left heel lock out for full four wheel drive, and you will move a mountain, even with turf tires.

- Willie H ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-22          133595

Over the weekend we tried out our new tractor on a few stumps..nothing.. not a budge. We removed them with the sawzall and digging up the roots to be exposed by hand. Alot of kicking the stump and four letter words. The stumps are only about 8 to 10 inch round. I had the tractor in 4 wheel drive or so i thought until you mentioned to use my left heel to lock out 4 wheel drive. I am tractor illiterate and have no manual for it yet, but i thought for 4 wheel it was a lever, or so the man who delivered it said. Am i missing something? My wheels did spin. We only used to the tractor to transport the stumps to a pile. Perhaps its my lack of any tractor know how, but i dont think this size tractor would budge a stump unless like i said, i'm missing something. I'm ready to rent a bulldozer. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-08-22          133596

emmigirl -
To a point you are correct. The engagement of four wheel drive as depicted on the tractor, is a lever, which is located on the inner right rear fender. However, to achieve what everyone is eluding to, there is also a lock pedal, left heel pedal, for lack of better words, that will lock up the differential giving you posi-traction in the rear, so that the tractor will act like a bulldozer (within reason of course), when the two controls are locked in - the left foot heel pedal, as well as the right hand lever that engages the drive of the front wheels.

Another item, not mentioned, is rear ballast. Are your rear tires/wheels loaded with ballast weight? I would suggest having them loaded if you are going to continue in the bulldozing mode, or at least sufficient counter weight attached to your 3pt hitch.
To give an example, if you have the tractor in forward motion, low range, and four wheel drive lever engaged, but having difficulty advancing whether it be because the object being pushed or pulled is to heavy, or just slipperyness, by engaging the left heel pedal during the process, you will immediately feel a sensation of pull - it has been recognized that dramatically.

I had a comparable size tractor -B1750- with loader and turf tires. However, I had the rears with ballast. My neighbor borrowed it to push some bamboo of all things. He managed to get it stuck on a bank heading straight down hill.
He meandered over rather sheepishly, and explained that he got my orange stuck. I told him - It does not get stuck!
He laughed, as he showed me the sight. I sat on the tractor, made sure the four wheel drive was engaged, lifted the bucket slightly, and depressed the diff. lock pedal, and proceeded to back up the bank and out.
He was not only shocked, I could not get him to shut up about it for the rest of the weekend. I then proceeded to finish the job FOR him.
I pushed over roots and all, a dozen 5 inch saplings, and all the debris around right down the hill and back. Never once even slipping on the clay pack.

Once you get to know the tractor, you will be amazed at what she will do.

I am rather surprised that you did not receive a manual for the orange. That is an absolute must, if not for operation, for safety. Make sure you acquire one, and read it thoroughly, it offers ALOT of insight to a beginner such as yourself. Better safe than sorry, and with the money tied up in the machinery, you don't need needless repairs.

- Willie H ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-22          133597

Where are you using the tractor? I did talk with Ed and he told me of the two locations. If you are up north you very well are on sandy or loose soil? Those stumps normally have surface roots and they would need to loosened to allow for the stump to be removed. To work the vertical part with the loader in different directions will help to loosen the root structure to make the removal easier. For the size of equipment to just walk up and remove these stumps with just a quick pass would be a full sized tractor loader backhoe. Have patience and work with the tractor at a relaxed pace. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-08-22          133602

I understand now, If you want info from this crowd just add girl at the end of your handle.LOL.

Emmigirl
Dig the dirt away from the stump with the FEL 14" deep pile wood, logs, branches on the stump, light on fire on a cool night with plenty of beer and drinks and move from stump to stump. When burning is finished put the dirt back in the hole. Very little wear and tear on the tractor, take it easy on the cooler it must last until the stumps are done.
Welcome to TP take it slow and enjoy your tractor. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-22          133605

I have a friend who tried burning stumps out that way. It burned, and smoldered, and smoldered some more and after three weeks it was still burning underground and had spread over an area 30 feet or more from the original stump. Scared the heck out of him. Fortunately the rains came and it eventually went out. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-08-22          133607

He needed a bigger cooler. ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-22          133610

well if adding girl to the end of my screename helps.. so be it..not intentional.. a man (father) paid for the tractor.. the girl uses it..We are taking it easy and slow with the tractor, no worries there. Just have been reading and there is alot of collective tricks and tips on this site that even the most seasoned tractor guys could pick up a few things. By the way Art.. We are in the town of Florence.. Mostly rocky stuff..We had considerable rain the rest of the weekend so i didnt use it much after the intial stump attempts. I didnt expect this machine to plow down stumps.. just aid in the work and with time i'm sure i'll figure it all out. Spent most of the day playing with the brush hog in the field and just getting used to being on the tractor. The next project this week will be building a ramp to get the orange into our shed. And yes, the girl will be building that too. Ed is working on getting us the manual. I am always interested in hearing how others accomplished their tasks and am not afraid to admit i dont know squat other than to try and be safe. I only burn stumps once their out of the ground and on the bonfire. There it can smolder for days and i wont worry about it. Another fellow down the road has a bigger orange in the L series i believe and it seems he doesnt do much more with his. But thanks everyone for their input. Look forward to hearing so much more. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-08-22          133611

SG8NUC -

I love it ! LOL

-Willie H ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-08-23          133616

I've found that using a 3 point hitch attached single point sub-soiler works well by driving around the perimeter of the stump. Start driving circles around it from a distance away getting the smaller roots first and then driving to make smaller circles. Once they are loose they come to the surface. Then wrap a chain around one at a time and pull them out.

Be careful a Woman in SW Michigan died the other day by getting crushed when pulling stumps. The tractor flipped over backwards. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-23          133624

Oh the smell of burning a good lightered stump. I have never had any success with burning hardwoods. My wife became a real pro at burning the pine (lightered) stumps at our old house. She would take pine straw or grass clippings and pile on the stump. Really cover it to control air flow. Light the stump and it would burn every so slow (a few days) but then it was gone, totally. This could be a problem in woods, she was working in a lawn. Diesel fuel is best we found to use. Gasoline is very dangerous and burns so fast the stump does not catch on fire.

On the subsoiler, if you are not able to turn tight enough circles you can of course plow straight lines by the stump such as a square. You may find it necessary to let the subsoiler into the ground only a few inches and keep making passes each lower. I have found that with a few bumps on diffrent sides can convince a stump it is not happy there. Of course up to a size.

When you fully lock the four wheel drive with the heel lock you will find steering (on mine it is this way) is out as all wheel as pulling.

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-08-23          133639

Emmigirl

Just having a little fun. I'm married to a girl and a wonderful individual she is. I have burned many a stump, and it is a good family time, If you are not on a mission and have the time. Also you get rid of any debris in the area. Have fun with your new tractor and be safe.

SG8girl ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-23          133648

I know you were just having a little fun SG8NUC.. I was just ribbing you back. Didn't mean to sound sassy.. So, let me ask another stupid question. Would i have more power pulling with the tractor, or pushing. Just a thought. Does the tractor, any tractor, have more power either way? Now that we have the tractor, there is talk of now building a 20x40 pole barn. My, how one purchase leads to this.. and then that.. and then that...And, who do you suppose is supposed to build this? Guess i must now dust off my pink toolbelt..Ha.. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-23          133649

It was briefly mentioned before but you really need to be careful when pulling anything. If the point where the load attaches to the tractor rises above the center of the rear axle the tractor will flip over backwards in a split second. This link is a worth a quick read for new (and old) tractor owners. ....

Link:   10 commandments of tractor safety

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-24          133653

emmigirl,

As to one purchase leading to another, yep. As you will find one tractor project leads to another, to another, and don't forget friends and families needs. Might be good to post a charge or fee sign early on. Could be seen as a joke but could also set ground rules.

sg,

You idea on "girl" as part of handle? How about you doing a fair and balanced test? Find a cooking site or such and add "boy" or "man" and give us the results. ROFLOL
I will admit, I am not goig to try that. It would not be the females that worried me... ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-24          133657

I wonder if all the advice/attention given to one that has ...girl at the end of their handle is due to a person going against a stereotype? Could be... maybe not. I don't have all the years of experience that many of these guys do, but I do try to pass along the knowledge/mistakes I made as a tractor rookie to any newbie.

You have to be careful when burning stumps. We had one last year where they burned the stump. Got rid of the stump alright. But kept smoldering for days until that windy day when we had 40-50 mph winds. That fired that stump right up. Caught the field on fire and took out several hundred acres. I can't remember if any buildings got it or not.

I hadn't thought of sawsall. My Milwaukee sawsall will cut through darn near anything with the right blade. I cut a 3 foot square hole in my MIL's floor with it among other duties. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-24          133659

I really must be missed something. There has been this much information given on many topics here in my little time. Could it be she is getting so many replies because she is asking for help or advice?

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-08-24          133663

I do know one thing if you pull with a tractor do not use nylon, it will Stretch twice its length. When the load releases it will snap back and put the load in the tractor with you. Use a chain. Have ROP and use the seat belt.

KT

That is a idea but you might attract some funny guys. Dont ask dont tell. ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-24          133667

Wow guys.. didnt realize my username on here would cause such an uproar..It's been my user name for years on various sites. Maybe i'll ask future questions under an alias. As far as i can see most people who asks questions on here get replies regardless of gender. I suppose i am going against the norm by being a female in a mostly male area such as using a tractor, but the family has a tractor and none of us have tractor knowledge so i figured what better place to seek help and advice than on a forum such as this. Thanks to those who took my questions seriously. Do your answers or advice differ if a man or woman asks the question? A question is a question. Trust me.. i've spent much time around guys who look at me cross eyed when i ask a question about the tractor or perhaps building something, but alot of the time too i have come across guys more than willing to explain or answer something regardless of my gender. I know tractors are toys to many men, but wouldnt it be nice while you were at work to come home and find your wife has plowed a field or driveway, cleared and leveled an area for your new garage or hauled down and split a few cords of wood for you. And yes.. women do crazy things behind a wheel of anything.. I've witnessed it first hand, but i've also read some of the goofs some of the guys made here with their tractors..just point being.. does it matter if a man or woman asks the question. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-08-24          133670

Emmigirl

Your gender does not matter in the least, and your handle is just fine. The only reason my wife married me is because she needed a motor for the tractors steering wheel. I sure would be suprised if I came home and the field was plowed, seeing how I dont have a field. I do have a burned stump hole Surrounded by cans. The last line was for you WillieH. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-08-25          133684

Emmigirl, my wife will also jump on the tractor on a moments notice. There are many women who ask questions here who get unbiased treatment. I do think your handle, given the fact that it points out you're a woman, strikes a funny chord with this predominately male forum. As it did with a previous contributor "kubotachick". ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-25          133686

I have known many women who are quite at home on their tractor. My wife being one. Many in a family operation do what ever needs to be done, whether farm or construction. When we bought our CUT the sales person asked me real quick would my wife be using it. So he expected it.

When we were buying our JD Gator a salesman asked why my wife (dressed for her office job) was the one test driving it. To which I answered, it is for her. He said, sure wish my wife liked such. Obviously disappointed.

emmigirl, could it be the guys who looked at you crossed eye had no idea what the question meant, much less the answer and lord forgive them to admit such?

I agree with others, the fact you are asking good questions asking for help is what makes the difference.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-25          133687

Emmigirl, I think 95% of us will give the same advice regardless of the gender of the asker.

AS for women and tractors, before our daughter was born, I got limited time on our tractor because my wife prefered to mow with it. So I got stuck with the small lawn mower doing the trim work! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-25          133693

iowafun,

When we got our zero turn my wife said she could not use that. A few times watching me, it became her toy. She even will get off early to use it. Guess seat time is stress reducer for both genders.

earthwrks,

since you like those circles or ovals, you need a ztr! LOL
and to quote SG, since you are the smartest, don't forget he lives in Georgia. Okay MEN, I am kidding both of you. A little. Good friends even if digital. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-25          133694

KT: "Digital"?
Hmmmm...do you mean "virtual"?--com' on man---if you wanna be FUNNY---get it right.

Now then, SG knows what he's talkin' 'bout bein' smart 'n all!

As far as digging stumps I do it other ways, like with using a 14,000lb. excavator (pushes them over no problem)---you might find one for $45-150 an hour. A 10,000lb. will have a bit harder time but can still dig them out at about $45-85 an hour. You can rent a smaller 3,500lb. to 7,000lb. unit for about $250 a day and dig them out. Home Depot rents them. I also use a big bobcat with tracks and a pallet fork attachment. I can dig a 24" Loblolly pine with a 5-6' tap root in about 20-30 minutes. An 18" Live oak takes about 5 minutes and a Water Oak about 15. You can rent bobcats too, but you'll need a 12,000gvw trailer and a 3/4 ton-and-up truck to to tow it. I've dug out whole trees root and all that my machine could not pickup (over 6,000lb. total).

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-08-25          133698

Kt

I understood digital, the smartest man I know had trouble with it. I am originally from SC, so I speak the language EW. I do agree with the good friends part. ....

View my Photos
emmigirl

2006-08-26          133700

I think the best bet would be to hire a local up around the camps town who has such equipment who hopefully wont charge an arm and leg and have them clear out a few problems back there. Also the only two decent paths that go to the back forty are steep. When i go up them on the atv i do so standing up but leaning way forward over the steering. Too steep for me to attempt at this point on a tractor. I've walked the land a million times and know with a little chainsaw work.. and a bigger machine..could blaze a better trail rather than the really steep hill. Like i said, just have to find someone who doesnt want a fortune and who wont destroy the land like the previous logger. We had a very bad logger encounter several years back. The logger was doing some work on the same little road so we walked down and asked him what he would charge to clear a path around the permimeter of the property. Of course i'm sure you could imagine the rest of the story. He said, no charge if he could just remove some of the cherry trees around the perimeter where he was working to cover his expenses. Also said he would pay my dad 4 grand since there was alot of timber where he would be making his skidder trail. Gentlemans agreement, he and my father shook hands. Later the logger stopped by my parents house for coffee, with a contract. Dad at that point was dealing with cancer and really doped up. Logger had him sign a contract just as a standard type thing, said everything will be as we said. None of were around dad at that point in time and didnt even know a contract had existed. So...He clear cut. Everything mostly..For months he was logging our land, in very wet conditions, leaving behind ruts and tree tops ect...It was a nightmare since my father had signed the contract. Yes, lawyers were contacted but since dad signed the contract. I later hired a tree guy who came in to give a rough estimate of timber removed. From only what he saw.. rough estimate.. was 80 grand of cherry removed and land left behind.. destroyed...stone fences annhilated.. tree tops everywhere..bad scene...I know this may have nothing to do with the thread of stumps being removed..but i dont ever want anyone to ever make the same mistake again. Know who you dealing with and pay to have a contract looked at.. forget hand shaking.. swoozing kind of crap. Spell out in detail what you want done and get that in writing. Taking advantage of my fathers state of mind was unforgivable. But as karma would have it, the loggers son who was working with him a year or so later was killed in a logging accident..Not that i was happy to hear it.. but what comes around sort of goes around. So that is why i'm a little leary of hiring anyone to do anything. We do know a few people around there now who have some logging equipment who are more than willing to help clear it up when they get some spare time. But their really busy and I would hate to crimp into their money making time of year. As for the stumps around the camp the plan will be the sawzall. Thanks again to everyones input.. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-08-26          133702

emmigirl -
Geez . . . Sounds like the same logging crew that stripped my neighbors land here in VT. The house (big log cabin) sits on a cliff overlooking our lake. Last fall the loggers came in knocked a path up the side of the property, much like you described virtually straight up the hill.

Then they went nuts! They dropped anything and everything, for about 100 acres, leaving behind an absolute mess. Once everything was felled, then they picked and chose what they wanted, leaving everything else behind. It looks worse thru this property than the pics we've seen from the Gulf last year! Terrible just plain terrible.

Then during the winter, as the log run was continuously eroding, the water and swill came down over the road, to the point the town stepped in and mandated a catch basin of sorts. Then the stock pile of logs rolled off the stack plateau and these idiots had logs out in the road, and the drainage gulley along the road, etc.. Nasty sound when the town snow plow came thru about midnight plowing snow!

What's equally as bad, if not worse, is that the lower lot housed the leaching system for the cabin. They dropped huge spruce trees and pushed others over, exposing, you guessed it, raw run off........with out repair!

Now it runs off in to a gulley along side the road, and into the lake. Despite all of our complaints and phone calls to officials, we cannot seem to get any resolution and repair. We contacted the state, and they told us that we should call when we smell something (?)----What on earth do they think we're calling for?!

Anyway - point being, sounds like the same crew, if not from the same family! Sorry to hear about the mess, but most definitely can appreciate being gunshy for other contractors.

- Willie H ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login