Go Bottom Go Bottom

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
mauigeorge
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-25          132623

Hi! New member here. My 1980s something Kubota 8200hst 4x4 has died and I can't get her started again. I've changed the fuel, added a electric fuel pump, replaced the mechanical fuel pump, changed the oil, new battery, removed and reinstalled the injector pump, and bleed the lines. I have not done a compression test on her yet, but I will. The most I get is some puffs of smoke. I'd buy a another engine for her if I could find a used or new d950 a or b engine for a reasonable price. Any advice or someone with a engine for sale, please contact me. Also any other model kubota engines that would fit perhaps with some more horsepower. Thanks! mauigeorge

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-26          132625

I'd wonder what the hours are and how it ran before the problem arose of not starting. A puff of smoke from time to time tells me of a fuel problem any way you look at it. Have you checked the glow plugs, I don't think they are the total problem as it should start hard without but it still should start. ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
mauigeorge

2006-07-26          132644

The Engine shows only 686 hours on the hour meter. It was losing power before it died. I was running a mixure of fresh diesel fuel and some old but clean Jet A that I got from work with some Lucas fuel treatment. It was running fine on this mixure for almost a tank full, then when I refilled it, only used about 10% of the fuel before it started losing power and died. So I thought its just the fuel, so I drained it all out and filled with fresh diesel straight with no additives. Now it will only puff smoke and occasionally try to start. I have new glow plugs that I have to put in, but no one I've talked to thinks thats the problem. I still have to check the compression. ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-26          132646

An engine doesn't go bad with one tank of fuel! I guess I left myself open, one tank of good fuel. When checking the tank did you look in the bottom for anything like hay or grass? ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-26          132653

I guess I did not see this on the list and I suspect this would have been the first thing but did you change the tank screen (if there is one) and the fuel filter? ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-26          132680

Did you have you injection pump checked out by a local diesel shop how about you injectors pop tested, again can be done at you local diesel shop. ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
mauigeorge

2006-07-27          132718

I did also change the fuel filter. Inside the tank looked clean. I looked inside with a strong L.E.D. flashlite. I did not do the pop check on the injectors, and we don't have a diesel shop on this island that can check the injection pump. My only option there was to buy a new one for about $500 bucks! Since I don't know that is the problem I don't want to just throw money at it. I'd rather put the $500 towards a new engine. Anybody have one? Just in case I can't get this one running? ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-27          132729

Was it using any oil? ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
mauigeorge

2006-07-27          132734

Hi Art Before it died and started losing power, the crankcase filled with what appeared to be diesel fuel. It smelled like diesel fuel and my hyd oil was still there so I am pretty sure thats what it was. A local mechanic told me either the injection pump or the fuel pump was leaking into the crankcase. Not wanting to spend the $500 for the injection pump, I went for the $35 fuel pump. I drained all the oil and put in new oil thinking it ought to at least start again so I can see if I have the same problem, but so far I haven't been able to get it started. Know anybody that rebuilds these injection pumps or has rebuilt ones? I took it out and it looked fine. Another mechanic told me these pumps rarely go bad, and I've not been able to find anyone who has a rebuilt one or rebuilds them. Thanks! ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-28          132770

It soounds like it lost the seal on the shaft that goes on the drive shaft. Not really all that uncommon on a twenty year old tractor. I'd find it hard to believe there is not a diesel pump shop on the islands. ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
mauigeorge

2006-07-29          132771

The driveshaft that drives the injection pump? The injection pump on this engine is driven by a cam that pushes little plungers on the bottom of the pump.
Fuel goes in the side and comes out the hard metal lines on the top. I thought maybe the seal on the one of the plungers was broken, but I have no way to check it. So I thought I'd get it running again and see if the crankcase fills up again. I already put a new fuel pump on it, so if I have the same problem, then I have a leaky injection pump right? I can't find a diesel pump shop on Maui. There's probably one on Oahu, but I haven't been able to find it. Do you know of a good shop on the mainland somewhere that is familar with the Kubota pumps? I can send the pump there for $8.05, have them check it out and send it back to me for the same price. The Kubota dealer here said they rarely have a problem with the Kubota pumps and when they do, they just replace them with new ones. Please let me know. Thanks! George ....

kubota 8200hst

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-29          132787

I thought it was a different system. I'd check the injectors to see if they are correct but if properly bled the engine should start fine.unless the leakage is causing it not to start. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login