Go Bottom Go Bottom

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Johnmw
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-18          132356

I'm not asking the obvious stuff -- wanted to know if you can do much digging with it? I would like to clean out some ditches and move some dirt around to landscape and all of this requires me do dig it out. Soil is not too hard in that it contains a good bit of sand. Was told today by Kubota that the FELs are not for digging just moving lose stuff around.

Is this true? thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-18          132357

Generally that's true that the FEL is just used for moving material from one place to another but in some limited uses it can dig....somewhat.

If you are using it for digging ditches, it will clean ditches but not really "dig" them. You can clean a ditch by approaching the ditch perpendicularly with the tractor, curling the bucket down and once it reaches the bottom, curl it up as you drive forward slowly to apply more digging pressure. This process of course will only dig the length of the FEL and only an inch or two with each pass. If you have much ditch to clean, it may take a while, but it will clean the ditch in this manner fairly well. And again if it is also not very deep.

If you are digging a new ditch, it really isn't an effective tool.

Good Luck! ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-19          132359

John,

I re-read your post. You said you were not asking the for the obvious and I stupidly gave you the obvious answers.

If you have mostly sandy soil it will "dig" fairly OK but for what purposes? It is hard to control the FEL for an even dig. To get it to get a purchase and begin to dig, it needs a downward angle and once you start the downward angle it tends to want to continue down so when you angle it up to stop that, it tend to want to continue up so you end up with a very uneven dig.

A FEL will "dig" if the soil is loose, but not a very controlled or pretty dig.

I think it will do a decent job cleaning your ditches, slow but decent. Other uses? What do you intend to dig with it?

Hope that helps. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-07-19          132362

In my opinion, the FEL is the most important accessory on a tractor. I would however think that cleaning out a ditch is not one of its functions.

When you are digging with an FEL, you only tip the bucket slightly. With the boom arms in the full down position and the bucket tilted a couple of inches, the tip of the bucket is then only about 6" beneath the plane of where the tires are driving on. So if the ditch is 3 ft. deep you will never be able to reach the bottom unless you drive way down in it. You will need another tractor to pull it back out.

If the ditch has any depth to it, you will need a BH. If it is really deep you will need the extend a hoe feature to get more boom extension. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-19          132366

If I had to pick a manual tool as an analogy to the FEL it would be a grain scoop or a snow shovel.

Put your foot on the back of one of those and it will bend, but there is nothing better for scraping the floor clean or scooping loose material.

For cleaning ditches you should look at a backhoe with a wide bucket. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Johnmw

2006-07-19          132376

Thanks, for all the replies. Seems the dealer was right. While my ditches aren't over 2 ft. deep I wanted to put in a number of metal road pipes so I could then fill in with dirt to drive over (tired of runing through the water and mud during winter) Also have a number of large rocks around edge of fields that need to be moved and I'm sure it would do that job. Further I have a lot of old terrace rows some of which I would like to dig up and landscape nearby with the dirt - soil isn't hard but has grass growing on it. It just seems that a lot of FEL are being sold - pointed out to dealer the Kubota description of every model being required to dig hole large enough to bury the tractor. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-07-19          132378

The FEL will cut the terrance rows if you point the bucket straight down, lower it and let the weight of the tractor peel off a chunk of dirt. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-07-19          132380

The FEL is a great tool for the CUT. But it does have it's limitations. I have used my to dig, but it's only an inch or two at a time. Now, in burying your culverts, it will work awesome if the fill dirt is in a pile. I've done that with great success.

It's also usefull for picking up dog poo. Not like that, but I park it nearby the piles and shovel them into the bucket by hand. Then I take it for a drive and dump it near a fresh gopher mound.

I've used it for leveling work by angling the bucket and going backwords. It lifted the new 3 pt tiller out of the back of the pickup. Hauled mulch, etc. Good tool, but digging is not it's main strength. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Johnmw

2006-07-19          132385

Again thanks, since it also requires 4WD which may not be needed on most jobs, that and the FEL is a large cost increase. Have any of you felt like it was not worth the cost or are all pleased with what you can do with the FEL. I have also have people tell me they would never buy 2WD again. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-07-19          132386

You will find that the FEL is a big wheel barrow that has a 1000 uses while saving your back and other muscles. I would never want to be without one again. Smaller tractors require the 4WD to take advantage of their power. They are light compared to large farm tractors and therefore require 4WD for their power to weight ratio. In my opinion 4WD and an FEL are a must. The big question is what size do you need? ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-19          132388

You can increase the digging utility of a loader with a tooth bar, but that doesn't extend the reach and it's still not the right tool for most digging jobs. I use a grapple on the FEL quite a bit to pick up and move slash, rocks, and logs. The bucket is really useful even for simple stuff like carrying equipment, fuel and coolers to the job site. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Johnmw

2006-07-19          132392

Am thinking of something in the 40 to 60 HP range. Might go with the cab. I have another job for the FEL and that is tearing down some old farm buildings maybe to include an old barn and cleaning up some down tree limbs. Was thinking a grabble bar would be needed for that use.

Also don't want it to be too large for smaller jobs. Don't need two tractors

thanks to all for the help and ideas very useful ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-07-19          132393

I have found the FEL to be worth the money. As others have said, 1001 uses. I've even used it to hold items at waist level while I assembled them. I use it a lot for clearing snow. Need to mulch trees? I load the mulch bags in the loader and drive to the trees. Much nicer.

Raise the tractor up so you can slide the mower deck under? Yep, it can do that too. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-19          132394

You can also use the FEL to work yourself out of a jam if you get stuck. If you get one and use it for digging avoid shock loads (don't try to use it as a battering ram) and avoid uneven loads (don't push something with one corner of the bucket since it could "rack" the loader frame). ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
ihookem

2006-07-19          132401

When I bought my 7510 I knew I would use it but never imagined it was so usefull. I use it for everything, even when cutting grass, I use it to push rows of grass clippings on to piles, push branches, flatten ant hills to save my blades, knock over prickery ash, rake the driveway, push snow, dirt, stones carry firewood and a bunch more. It's one of those things that's worth every penny. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-20          132413

Loaders go out on better then three quarters off all sold. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Johnmw

2006-07-20          132420

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Seems no one was displeased with it so .. guess I better get one. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-20          132429

My uses

Turn over 5yrds of compost, carry concret, boards, tools,to build deck and sea walls. Dig 40' X 40' 5' deep garden pond and carry the dirt to back fill sea wall. Carry appox. 4 tons of rock to go around the garden pond along with concrete for foundations. Push trees over 25" dia, drag them to the chain saw area and carry off the cut wood. Lift concrete items like foundations 500lbs+. Use it as a crane all the time. Lift potted plants, lower them into planting holes. Scrape drive way, after carrying dirt for pot holes. Use it to cut limbs out of trees(lift someone up with chainsaw) be very carefull with this one at least 2 person operation.

I cannot imagine having a tractor without one, I will never own a one family tractor with out a FEL.

Make sure the FEL if for your tractor, and not two large. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-20          132438

Good tool, but digging is not it's main strength
With the assistance of a BH or Tiller a person can do a lot of grading with a FEL

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-20          132441

I wanted to put in a number of metal road pipes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why not use plastic?
It's
cheaper
quicker
easier
& it will never rust out. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-07-21          132466

You also mentiond 4wd. I love 4wd on my 4310. Oh yeah babay!! My first tractor was 2wd and I would get it stuck or have it slip on wet grass when carrying a heavy loader load. Now with 4wd, I can do more and go places I couldn't with the 2wd. Especially for clearing snow. I love the 4wd. I haven't had to use the loader to get me unstuck yet. ....

How useful is the FEL

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-08-12          133238

I've never had my bx 23 hung up ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login