Go Bottom Go Bottom

kobuta

View my Photos
kotahere
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-18          130974

just purchased a 7040 with cab and a 15 ft woods mower. Interested in talking to other 7040 owners to compare notes

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

kobuta

View my Photos
ditto95

2006-06-18          130978

Just bought a 6800 which the 7040 replaced. I can't find anything I don't like about this tractor. How do you like the direct injection?
I had some concerns about the amount of plastic on the newer tractors. I am sure it isnt a problem with the cab. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
ditto95

2006-06-18          130979

I did find the front end to be a little light. I will be purchsing about 6 weights to put on. 50 lbs each at a buck a pound. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-18          130983

When I bought my blue, I was rather glad to see the extensive use of plastic. The materials used these days are very good quality and durable. The other reason was I noticed over the years the oranges and blues were plagued wth rust where the stamped parts were spot welded together and then painted. No rust now! ....

kobuta

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-18          130984

I was skeptical of the plastic body panels on my green machine but after living with it for three years I'm convinced. While the neighbors deal with body panel dents and repaint scrapes and rust the plastic takes a beating and bounces back without a worry. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
ditto95

2006-06-18          130990

The problem with plastic is oxidation. Once it starts to oxidize, there is no going back. You cant sand it and paint it, even armor all won't bring it back.
I have seen some blue that had been stored outside and it looked terrible. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-18          130991

Yep, that's a problem with plastic so you store them inside or at least cover them. With metal panels the paint oxidizes and metal rusts and the solution is the same. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-18          130994

My blue's 4 years old and has never been covered or stored. The year I got it they had just changed over to a deeper blue; some of the powder blues I noticed were faded. After 4 years the paint was a little oxidized after having never treated to some wax. After three applications it's fine (I had business phone number decals on it from the start that I removed. After waxing I couldn't tell where the decals had been) ....

kobuta

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-18          130995

They're getting smarter with plastics and using more UV inhibitors. When they use enough it probably won't be a problem anymore. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-18          130999

McGuier's makes a VERY good oxidation remover that worked great on the gelcoat of my Sea Ray called #49 oxidation remover and polish. I think it would work well on the plastic as well. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-18          131005

Chief makes a good point, at least with my blue it isn't plastic per se, but gelcoated SMC (sheet molded composite), and injection molded. It doesn't appear to be painted in the true sense. SMC is used on cars such as hoods on the former ram air Camaro, the doors, deck lid and spoiler. Those are painted like steel is in a way. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-19          131020

Working with the different manufacturers it's interesting to see that there are no perfect coatings. Scratches into most any will change color other then the old Cadets of the 1641-1864 vintage which is the same all the way thru and ten years later still can be brought up like new including the scratches! Powder coating I didn't tink would fade but it does. The manufacturers originally went to the plastics to help eliminate noise from the engines and secondly if possible to look good longer! ....

kobuta

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-19          131026

Earthwrks - All the panels on the Saturn are the same SMC panels. Some of the Deere are just injection molded polycarbonate. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-19          131030

I have a M 6800 with about 550 hours or so on it over 7 years. Put $1500 into the transmission about two months ago for a gear that lost a tooth. Seems the little taping I was hearing and not paying much attention to was serious. Some of the grey paint has flaked off esp. on roll bar and lift area. Top of exhaust pipe just rusted off. Need to adjust the foot throttle, for some reason it has lost it full range. The draft is not great for field cultivation. Have found it can cause problems. Any other issue has been my fault. The plastic does not like limbs.

Mine has only low and reverse range and 3rd and 4th gear synchronized. Would have liked it fully synchronized.

Have had a IH and JD person brag on how quite and smooth it runs and how well it handles. I agree. Even with the transmission issue probably would buy it again. It will pull it’s heart out. It pulls with my brother’s heavier and little larger MF but handles much better.

Best thing about it, my grandson likes it.

kobuta

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-19          131046

The outcome of plastic vs. limbs depends on the size of the limbs. Around here, with douglas fir trees ranging from 3-12" in diameter, the plastic holds up better than metal. No dents, no paint scratches and no rust. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-19          131050

Ken;
Plastic is a pretty broad term. It certainly depends on the resin used, even if its a polycarbonate.
I go back to a demonstration that a salesman did when Husky first brought out the plastic cased chainsaws. He picked it up and tossed it across the parking lot, then picked it up and fired it up. Then he said "You do the same with your cast aluminum saw".
For us fallers on the West Coast this was a very real test as we often tossed the saw over fallen logs or running saw away from us as the tree started to fall and widow makers started to drop.
You can definately make a more robust hood out of plastic, and be as tough as your chain saw, but we are always working against the accountants trying to take another penny out of the product. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-19          131052

No doubt about that. It's a little hard to get information on what plastics are used. The proof is in the results I guess. Not all composite body panels are subject to oxidation damage either. Look at the cars on the road that have plastic spoilers and such. You rarely see them oxidized. In fact on autos it seems the metal holds up worse than plastic in terms of finish (except for black plastic that seems to take a beating). ....

kobuta

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-19          131054

KW: I'm assuming you are talking about spoilers color-keyed to the car; those aren't unpainted materials or molded-in-color. Generally it's the same paint, or same maker of paint (with some exceptions as bonding and flex agents). Here's some trivia: the racing stripes on the Dodge Vipers are painted on, not decals. The hood, top, roll bar, and deck lid panels are mounted in jig (minus the car). The stripes are hand-masked by two workers. The maskers use four laser lines created by a rotating laser mounted above the jig. Then they're painted, buffed and as I recall clearcoated. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-20          131143

Over the years kubota had switched to powder coating. Rusting has been minimal except in damaged areas. With the different brands we sell since plastic was first used in the 80's there are pro's and cons of both for cosmetics and job performance. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-20          131145

Powder coating is not what it's cracked up to be. It's a poor man's paint by today's standards. It doesn't hold up well in sunlight and if the skin is broken, is impossible to control rust. Rust can even form under unbroken skin as part of the cleaning procedure requires a water based phosphate wash which itself is prone to contamination and isn't a science.

What I like is e-coating which is that army drab color primer you find under the finish of modern cars. And yes that's not a science either: A few days after I got my $42,000 Ram I got a letter from Chrysler stating that due to contiminated primer I will have paint coverage for 10 years or 100,000 miles. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
ditto95

2006-06-21          131148

We powder coat braake pads and they hold up very well. OEM have pretty tough standards as far as corosion and appearence. If done properly, powder coating is very durable. ....

kobuta

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-21          131165

Like any polymer resin or coating the structure and additives will make the difference in in use performance. I have seen poor/cheap powder coating and excellent on the same assemblies. Alot depends on the applicator, prep and materials. Likely they sent one part out to one house an the other to another.

Powder coating is not really any better than old solvent paints, it is just a solventless method of applying thick coatings in a single application.

In real extreme conditions I have used the flame sprays which react with the metal surfaces and like these. Newer powder coating are also reactive at the lower temperatures or under UV light and I hear these are good. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login