Go Bottom Go Bottom

Trouble attaching PTO driveline

View my Photos
JBarron
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-15          130894

Generally things get a little easier with experience. However, it’s not getting any easier for me to attach the PTO driveline to the tractors rear PTO when switching implements. The problem for me is getting the teeth aligned correctly. It can be hard to turn a greasy PTO shaft. Seems there should be a PTO wrench or something to simplify alignment. So after I wrestled with this for 20 minutes yesterday, I thought that I’d see if anyone has a technique or tool that can make this process a little easier.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-15          130895

It is a continuing PIA.

I found I had to reach underneath the mower deck and turn the blades a little at a time until I could get the splines lined up. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-15          130896

I wear gloves and just turn the shaft by hand (engine off of course). Usually it's no problem at all, but once in awhile it turns into an ordeal. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-15          130897

I always recomend a trip to the hardware store for anyone with a problem like that.

In the plumbing section (or you might already have one) they have a special wrench called a "basin wrench" which is designed for working on the drain fittings on the bottoms of sinks and such.

It has a small fixed jaw with teeth, and a large curved spring-loaded jaw and a (often) telescopic handle. They are very good at getting in around the guard and the PTO shaft to spin the output shaft to line up with the coupler.

Way easier than busted knuckles and greasy hands!!

Of course a piece of rope and a bar will spin it to, but tools are more fun.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Rigid Basin Wrench

View my Photos
ditto95

2006-06-17          130949

I keep a 6x6 patch of flannel rag for rotating the spline. There shouldn't be gobs of grease on your spline. Only enough to keep it lubed. ....

View my Photos
JBarron

2006-09-05          133998

Thought I would try and revive this thread because my rear PTO will not turn by hand. I suppose the hydraulic independent PTO on the B3030 has something to do with it. ....

View my Photos
ditto95

2006-09-06          134003

Your hyd independent PTO should allow 60 degrees of rotation while the tractor is turned off. I believe the rotation is clockwise. It will not rotate the other direction because of the lock. It will feel tight because of the hydraulic actuation.
Does the female end of the PTO have grease in it also? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-09-06          134036

An independent hydraulic PTO? I need to get out more I guess. If I take it for face value, wouldn't that create a lot of heat turnning the hydraulic motor? And how does the counter-rotation lock work? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-09-07          134042

How about a hydraulic engage PTO. Been being used in the ag industry since the fifties on some makes and the sixties for nearly all US built tractors as well as the high end compacts. ....

View my Photos
ditto95

2006-09-07          134049

Art, I stand corrected. I should have said hydraulically "actuated" indenpendent PTO. But it still allows rotation by hand. I do not know what it does if it is engaged while the tractor is not running. Something to check out anyway. ....

View my Photos
JBarron

2006-09-07          134052

Well maybe I’m a wimp, but I couldn’t turn my rear PTO in either direction (had grease rag with me this time).

I’ve been prepping my new KingKutter II 5ft tiller for its first trip to the food plots. I had to shorten the PTO shaft so I went ahead and loosened the slip clutch bolts while it was off the unit. Hooked up the shaft, cranked the tractor, engaged the PTO, and spun the slip clutch by lowering the tiller to the ground. While tightening the dozen or so slip clutch bolts I tried unsuccessfully to hand turn the connected PTO by rotating the raised tiller tines.

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-07          134053

JB, don't wimpify yourself too quickly there. LOL.

If the PTO implement, tiller included has a deep gear reduction you would be trying to turn against the gear reduction, not with it in your favour. That makes the job harder not easier.

Try (CAREFULLY) putting a bar through the U-joint on the driveshaft, ahead of the gear box, and see if a little leverage makes a difference.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-09-07          134056

I am sure my math is a little off but would not the tines roate like a million times to get a single PTO shaft rotation due to the gearing? The point I think the great Murf is making.

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-07          134058

Easy there Kenneth, I already wear a size 8'ish hat...... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login