Go Bottom Go Bottom

4 WAY FLASHER PROBLEM - BX 23

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-22          128143

Washed the tractor about an hour ago and now the 4 way flasher lights keep coming on even with the switch turned off.

I can turn the switch on then back off and the lights will stay off about 15 seconds then start flashing again

What's the problem anyone know how to fix this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bloggins
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-22          128150

I don't own a BX23...but I've had the same problem with cars where if a relay is used in the circuit, they can become water logged and then the relay does what it wants regardless of the switch position. Solution is to remove the relay allow it to completely dry out and then silicone caulk its seams and reinstall. If the circuit is straight wired to the lights then your switch is becoming water logged...so...do the same thing. Cheers. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-23          128169

This shoulden't be a problem on any tractor.

Look at all the tractors that set out 24/7 year round on dealers lots and at farms.
Surely this doesn't happen to all those tractors.

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-23          128174

Rain does not "fall" in an upward direction like water from a hose or pressure washer can. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-04-23          128179

He can dig up posts from 5 years ago to add nothing, but he can't search this out. It has only been discussed a dozen times over here and "elsewhere."

Do NOT use a pressure washer or direct hose spray on the dash of a BX or the switches will act up.

Geesh. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-24          128184

Do NOT use a direct hose spray on the dash of a BX or the switches will act up.
I have hosed of the BX23 many times before that and didn't have this problem.
If this is a problem common only to a BX then they must be doing something wrong.

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-24          128190

I think there is a problem with them alright, some of them have a loose nut behind the wheel.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-24          128216

Got the 4 way flashers working but the head lite switch won't turn the head and tail lights off. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-25          128287

I think you're rite . I think I've been getting replies from some of them.
I thought I had the flashers working but they started acting up again last nite. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-25          128295

According to the Kubota Owner's Manual:

"Thou shalt not wash the Dashboard area by spraying it with a Hose; Thou shalt use a wet sponge to avoid forcing Water into the Electronics."

or something like that... ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-25          128301

This weekend a friend of mine spilled orange juice into his cell phone. Called and asked me what to do. Remove all power sources, the SIM card, then using distill water wash the phone very good using nothing other than the water.

Then allow it to dry 100%. Reinstall and see if it works. Well it did.

For those they don't realize it water does not conduct electricty, it is the minerals or foreign particials in it.

This was not my idea, rather one shared with me by an electronic person years ago. Will it always work, nope and neither do I. Could it cause another problem, sure.

If you can get the inside of the switches dry I doubt you will have a problem. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-25          128309

"Thou shalt not wash the Dashboard area by spraying it with a Hose; Thou shalt use a wet sponge to avoid forcing Water into the Electronics."
=========
I was just out to the Kubota Dealer and he was telling me it's a more common problem with the BX models than the other Kubota Tractors.
What this means to me is Kubota is doing something wrong on The BX tractors then.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-04-25          128321

All equipment has quirks but quirks are not the same thing as "doing something wrong". Seems to me that spraying water around any electrical parts of any machine is asking for trouble. I've washed the engine compartments on lots of cars. Sometimes it causes a problem but I don't blame the manufacturer. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-25          128325

1*All equipment has quirks but quirks are not the same thing as "doing something wrong."

2*Seems to me that spraying water around any electrical parts of any machine is asking for trouble.
1*If it's just a quirk instead of doing something wrong then why doesn't it happen on the other kubotas as well as the BX?
2* so then why does doing that affect the BX but not the other Kubota Models?

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-25          128330

lbrown,

Sometimes a certain product has more of a certain type of problem than does other products for that company due to the typical person who buys or uses that product.

I wonder if the model line you have could have more problems due to the typical owner/user rather than the guages or switches being different.

Could be more of this model line just wash their tractors more often or in greater detail compared to the bigger models for any number of reasons. Could it be the height they are at makes it easier to spray water into switches or such. Could it be since it is smaller it takes less time to wash it and thus more time is spent washing the dash.

Comparing my two one a B and the other a M, the B will get washed more often and due to height I must watch the angle it is sprayed. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-04-25          128339

I could spray water in certain places on any Kubota and cause a problem. Or any other brand for that matter. Parts in areas that aren't expected to get wet are not sealed for weather. Just getting water in connectors can cause oxidation and problems. Manufacturers do not have testers spray everything with pressure washers to see how they do. It's reasonable to expect a tractor to not have problems in the rain. It's not reasonable to spray water under the dash and expect it to be trouble free. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-26          128354

1*Parts in areas that aren't expected to get wet are not sealed for weather.
2* Manufacturers do not have testers spray everything with pressure washers to see how they do.
3*It's reasonable to expect a tractor to not have problems in the rain.
4* It's not reasonable to spray water under the dash and expect it to be trouble free.
~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
1*The light switches are exposed to rain where you can expect them to get wet so why aren't water proof switches used?
2*I wasn't using a pressure washer. Just a garden hose that was hooked up to a faucet that has only about 20 percent of the pressure it should have do to something plugging the line.
3*
4*I wasn't spraying water up under the dash also like I said the hose I used didn't have anywhere near the pressure it should have.

Then too I have hosed off the tractor many times before and this never happened and those times the hose had the full water pressure because the water line wasn't partially plugged up like it is now.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-04-26          128389

How do you know the light switches aren't sealed for weather? They probably are, or at least they have a waterproof bezel. It's likely a relay behind the dash or under the hood that's the problem. There doesn't seem to be a big outcry here from owners who park their machines outside. Maybe everyone parks their BXs in the garage at the first sign of rain. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-27          128412

I can't speak for BX's, but most of our fleet of Kubotas (mostly L's and a few M's) live outside for most of the year, always have. In fact they are often operated in rain too.

We have never had any issues with moisture, other than once when one got caught in a flash-flood.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
crazeyhoosier2

2006-05-03          128790

Had the same thing happen on my BX2200. I pulled the module out from under the left dash and tried drying it out. Long and short (no pun intended) was that it's electronic not straight relays. Had to go to the dealer for new module. Don't remember what it cost. Before I put the new one in I coated it and the boot that covers it with rubber cement to seal everything up. Haven't had a problem since then but then I am more careful about not getting that area wet. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-05-04          128890

You never know what you might find for a problem from one owner, to one model of tractor or make. We haven't seen any prevelent problems as you have descibed so it might be close to being a isolated problem depending on washing intervals and intensity. I have yet to find any repair that was needed to be enjoyable as it is like going to the doctors or dentists office for me and I always have`a different place for money in which I might find a small pleasure in life instead of possible pain. Just my feelings on that note but unless a company continually has equipment that needs updates shortly after the new releases would I worry. When the reason for the failure is found then the proper way to prevent a failure can be found. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-05-16          129414

It's important to never say never! We just had a BX that was just delivered within a week come back with the flasher lights flashing! We have over 300 BX's out at this point and this is the first one. It is a left over that was out during the winter so I'm going to be checking on that module described in one of the prior posts. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-05-16          129418

It's important to never say never! We just had a BX that was just delivered within a week come back with the flasher lights flashing! We have over 300 BX's out at this point and this is the first one. It is a left over that was out during the winter so I'm going to be checking on that module described in one of the prior posts.
Art White
Please let me know what you find out.
I got my 4 way flashers working OK but the head lights still come on whenever the ignition switch is in the on or run position no matter if the headlight switch is on or off. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-05-22          129705

We found it to be the relay. There is also one for the lights. They may dry out but I doubt it and if one did I'd try sealing it when dry. I would also wonder that more water wouldn't get in from a hose then from a pressure washer. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-05-23          129713

Hmmm...see second post. No offense but it seems British cars and Kubota's now have something in common. LOL! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-05-23          129717

As much as I've owned several british built cars and heard all the horror stories I must have been a lucky one. You are right on how to deal with the problem if it works. ....

View my Photos
tool_man2

2006-05-25          129845

The fastest fix here is remove the lightbulbs.

Having Fun!
Tool Man ....

View my Photos
RRagent

2006-05-26          129866

Thats good ....

View my Photos
levalen

2006-09-05          133984

I want to find out from the original poster how he fixed the problem. My BX 23 just started its flashing after the rain from hurricane Ernesto blessed it. It does exactly the same thing with the lights, so I removed the fuse temporarily. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-09-05          133989

I want to find out from the original poster how he fixed the problem. My BX 23 just started its flashing after the rain from hurricane Ernesto blessed it. It does exactly the same thing with the lights, so I removed the fuse temporarily.
levalen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the 4 way flashers I just unplugged 1 of the wires from the 4 way flasher switch for about 7 to 10 days.

Did the same thing on the head light switch but it took about 20 to 35 days for it to dry out.

After reconnecting the wires both sets of lights have worked fine ever since.
----->>
......>>> Keep the BX23 out of hard rains and don't spray the dash with a garden hose when washing the tractor.
PS:
B T W * Why Did you have the tractor out in Ernesto ?

MY First Car
http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyscrapbook/files/kamp50.jpg
Our First Car
http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev6003.htm ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-09-05          133993

They do have a rubber seal that might do as well keeping water in after it gets there as it is supposed to keep it out. To seal with silicone after drying might help but be sure it is dry! ....

View my Photos
botamac

2006-09-15          135204

I had the same problem, I washed my tractor and the hazard switch got wet. So I took the switch apart and found a little bit of water inside of it. The contact gap is so small that the water made the contact and the lights start flashing. So I dried the switch and sealed it with silicon and so far it’s been working fine. ....

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-10-06          135753

My bx has sat out for weeks in the rain,washed often never a problem, Craig. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login