Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
Tycasco
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-08          127422

There were several about 6 months ago about mixing used fluid with diesel. Iwass searching for > Is this really ok to do?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-09          127430

If you r talking about mixing your old trans oil with fuel to burn in your tractor DO NOT DO IT!

First off the oil will not or should not go thur the fuel filter. You will plug many of them if you r trying to save a buck. If for some reason the filter is not up to snuff and the containmants in the hyd oil, metal filings etc will try to go thru your injection pump and injectors. You stand to do considerable damage to those systems.

If you have old fuel and some used hyd oil and r putting them in the same container to take to used oil place that is ok. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-09          127431

The discussion was about, as I recall, how to add lubricate to the fuel after cutting with kero.

30 years ago truckers tried everything to gain HP and swore by some really weird stuff and it turned into "old truckers tails" that still persist today.

Buy clean fuel and keep it clean. If you get caught with summer fuel in the late fall you can cut it with kero. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
Chief

2006-04-09          127442

I would agree with Harvey that burning clean diesel fuel is the optimum. That having been said; the question arises of what to do with so much left over oil? For instance, I have 9 gallons of very clean trans./hydraulic fluid left over from the 50 hour break-in service on my 4410. Rather that throw out the oil, I use it in my log splitter and as long as the oil is clean it can be mixed with diesel fuel and burned in the truck and tractor if you wish provided it is mixed in reasonable quantity. I would think 5% is a good mix that allows safe use. Many of us who own diesel trucks and pickups find this can be an economical way to dispose of used but otherwise clean oil. I am sure there are many opinions on this and I repeat the above opening statement................"burning clean diesel fuel is the optimum". With diesel nearing $3.00 a gallon, I personally can understand why folks want to find ways to safely maximize the fuel economy of there diesel engine use. When I was in the Persian Gulf during the first Gulf War; the primary fuel on the battle field was JP-8. Compared to JP-8; kerosene is a fine lubricant. (i.e. JP-8 is much more highly refined and has MUCH less in the way of lubrication properties or "lubricity") Many a drive mixed a quart of good ole' "23699" aka aviation turboshaft engine oil or whatever kind of lubricating oil they could find around the motorpools to aid in the lubrication of this fuels qualities. Again, straight and clean #2 diesel is optimum but it was just not available. At least not where I was. The first diesel engine burned peanut oil. Long story short........ within reason and common sense, yes you can add oil to your diesel fuel provided it is clean. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-10          127464

Chief

Most military vehicles have their Oil reserve on TOP of the engines so you aren't doing dry starts.
I never found a vehicle outside that would run on that MoGas.
As far as clean? When our Jet A/C return with fuel leftover in the wing tanks or belly tanks, it is consdiered CONTAMINATED and can NOT be used again for flight purposes. So I would not recommend using any used fuel for something you respect......... Give it to a neighbor that you don't like and let them use it.. smile ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-10          127465

Mix it with your Number 2 Fuel for the furnance. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-10          127466

Better check with your furnace guy first, may clog the injectors, here at the dealship we burn used car motor oil for heat. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
Chief

2006-04-10          127467

wingwiper, not sure what vehicles you have but a Cummins C series, Detroit 8V92, and the 6.2 liter HUMWVEE engines have oil reservoirs on the bottom of the engine (aka the oil pan). Yes it is correct that fuel removed from an aircraft fuel cell is considered contaminated but that does NOT mean that it is. This precaution is primarily followed so that refuelers do not attempt to defuel a potentially contaminated aircraft fuel cell using a fuel truck loaded with several thousand gallons of good treated fuel. I have used it in kerosene heaters which are very sensitive to contamination and in diesel engines without issue. The key is to pour the fuel into a semi-clear kerosene can and then let it set so any potential contaminants can settle out and then check it visually. This is the reason for the required waiting period of one hour per foot depth of fuel in the fuel cell. I don't know about your pilots but this pilot ALWAYS PERSONALLY eye balled the fuel sample and PERSONALLY witnessed it being drawn. Hence the fuel is pretty well known to be clean.

Back to the original question; in my opinion it is acceptable to mix a reasonable amount of oil with the diesel fuel or alternate fuel in reasonable quantity provided it is clean. Allowing the oil to settle for several weeks and then pouring through a coffee filter is usually good enough to clean it provided there were no other contaminates such as water or dirt introduced during the oil draining. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-10          127468

Holy cow.

That's why that military coffee tasted like that.

All this time I thought it was a low bid thing. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-10          127471

Chief

The fuel taken from the tanks was used primarily for burning wreackage to give Crash Crew and oppurtunity to practice their fire fighting skills, I hear now they are actually cycling some to the general public for #2 Fuel Oil additives. I brought it up to establish the point that the Military deems returned fuel as Contaminated and I am not a pilot, I flew RO in old Model F-4s but was NEVER apart of the Fuel Checking Process, my duties were Master Armament and Aux Generator etc and monitoring Ordnance and advising. I also maintained the 40mm cartridges in the ejection seats and the bomb racks and missle racks. Had a very limited pre-flight esponsibility. I would inspect fuzes to be sure they were shear wired and not armed etc etc. My main job was Aviation Ordnance.
Sometime I would tell you a story how some Marine F-4 pilots were ego deflated by some Brit in a Harrier, this was back in 73. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-10          127472

DR

In the Marines OUR coffee was served with a spatulet. ....

Hydralic fluid disposal

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-04-10          127475

Used fluids like this act as a good catalyst for seasonal cleanup of leave and brush for burning. This may be against the preaching of a greenpeace fanatic but gets the job done. Most oilchanging facilities act as a recycling center.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login