Go Bottom Go Bottom

Beware of kubota-orange Woods attachments

View my Photos
DenisS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-20          126341

That paint seems to bleach real bad. I was picking out my mowers in the dealer's lot and he pointed that out by showing me a couple of Woods field mowers painted "kubota orange" and man, were they bleached. The dealer said he just got them last season. At another lot, I saw another brand-new "kubota orange" mower with rust bleading through the welding seams, just doesn't feel like good quality paint job. In comparison, the regular yellow/tan woods mowers looked just fine. Just thought I'd throw that out there before someone gets stuck with an ugly bleached-out attachment.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-20          126352

Some of the OEM (Kubota's own) paint does that too.

For instance the paint on the hyd. cylinders on my FEL have faded & oxidized very badly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-20          126364

I agree with Kubota's paint not being a job to brag on. I notice it more on the gray.

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-20          126393

Most of the Kubota products are powder coated, the cylinders aren't. Sorry Murf! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-20          126399

Orange and red fade more easily due to the fact that they absorb light in the blue, near the Ultraviolet. Red and Orange are more difficult to stablize. Heavy metal pigments were more stable than organics, but most companies are moving away from heavy metal pigments to organic pigments. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-21          126412

Art,

Most of the Kubota products are powder coated,

Either they started this after I bought mine, or I don't know what powder coated looks like and does or it does not hold up on my Kubotas either. I do think paint job is a weakness of Kubota.

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-21          126415

Are there any preventive measures one could take to prolong the life-span of a paint job? Waxing maybe? wax will absorb UV and shed water.. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-03-21          126417

I believe that there is an alternative paint that is available that resembles Kubota's pigment. Key word is resembles, not matches it. It was told to me as being not as good quality wise, as the Kubota paint. (dunno)

What Peters points out, about the color spectrum I agree with. Certain colors are more prone to absorbtion of UV interference than others, hence the changing or altering of their appearance.

I keep my oranges always washed and waxed (I know... Pathetic isn't it) - and they have retained their original shine and luster.
As far as the blue/gray areas go, a little wd40 on a rag will not only clean and restore the oxidation issue, however will be a rust inhibitor as well.

- Willie H ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-21          126422

Willie,

hit what I was not clear on, I have a problem with rust on seams and bolts with Kubota. Also their paint will flake (gray paint)off. Have little problem with fading. Have not seen such easy metal to rust on Case or old true Ford.

I do wash them after any use that could cause rust, and a certain amount of oiling is done. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-21          126423

Like you skin it is the UV light that has the power to break down materials. The red and orange absorb more therefore break down faster.
It makes no difference if the paint is applied as a powder coat or an organic to the break down. Only that you have more material in a single coat and you be able to polish off the oxidation.
Car companies today utilize a clear coat on the top of the color. The clear is loaded up with UV inhibitors, like your sun screen, therefore the colors last longer.
Some waxes also have UV inhibitors or absorb some UV light and will help with the fading.
TiO2 white pigment is the least likely to fade or oxidize. This is why most boats have white hulls. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-21          126424

WilliH, thanks for the oil-on-a-rag pointer. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-21          126426

Peters, wouldn't it then just make sense to paint tractors white? That'd be the easiest paint to maintain, provides good visibility to the tractor and makes you think you're off sailing.. I'm surprised there aren't any white tractors around. I think I'll patent the idea. :) ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-03-21          126432

kt-
I did not realize that the paint was actually flaking off. Do you think that was from UV contamination or oxidation, as much as it was from a poor quality priming or sublayer preparation? My guess is the latter, but I imagine we are now back to your original concern (poor paint).

Horse_farmer -
...at least some of the bird "dumps" would be less noticeable on a white background, vs. orange! (maybe not) lol
- Willie H ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-21          126433

horsefarmer,

Case did that a few years ago. I think that was when David Brown became part of Case. David Brown was not in this part of the world but think they were white.

The part I find funny in this thought is "WHITE" tractors were silver or a light gray. Boy, a lot of the ones I see really faded. Not sure if the "White" label is still out there as part of the Agco Family.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-21          126434

Willie,

poor prep I think.

Horsefarmer,

Was watching tv last night on TRICK MY TRUCK. While the term makes no sense to me I do understand what they were doing.

Here is your chance to have a TV show, TRICK MY TRACTOR. They have them for motorcycles, cars and big rigs. They missed tractors.

Please be sure to post here when it will air, do not want to miss it. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-21          126436

kt,

sorry, I'm not sure what TRICK MY TRUCK is all about. I'm pretty much in the stone age when it comes to TV. I watch TV 16 times a year, maybe 17 or 18, if the NY Giants make the playoffs. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-21          126438

horsefarmer,

They take a big rig and fix it up. Custom everything. The one last night they made it up to look like a custom motorcycle as much as possible.

Custom side pipes, custom made seat, sound system, custom molded hood, paint job, rims, steering wheel, pedals and on and on. I don't think they touch the drive train.

Again, let me know when the show airs.

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/Trick_My_Truck/series.jhtml

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-03-21          126441

kt, let me get right on it... :) ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-21          126444

KT; Are you sure the show wasn't "Pimp my Truck"? German engineering Ya!!! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-21          126449

Peters,
I believe your are correct on the name of the car show.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login