Go Bottom Go Bottom

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-26          125155

Now that we have a bit of snow and I want to plow the driveway, the tractor won't turn over! I have not run the tractor in about 10 days -- it is stored outside. Yesterday and today are the coldest days we have had in a while. The hazards work just fine and the glow plug light comes on when I turn the key part way, so I am not sure that the battery is dead. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver

2006-02-26          125156

Another question -- if I jump start the tractor I need a vehicle that has a 12 volt negative charge -- is that a car? Or, am I better off just pulling the battery and charging the battery overnight -- which means I can't use it now:(!

Thanks! ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-26          125157

I have jumped my tractors off a car or truck. I would check your leads to the starter and the ground lead off the battery. ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver

2006-02-26          125158

I tried jumping it -- no luck. I am thinking that either I have a blown fuse somewhere or there is a bit of ice in the seat-kill switch. Does this sound logical? I am on my way out the door to get some new fuses and see if that works... ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-26          125160

Have you got some way to tow it into a heated garage or shop? ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver

2006-02-26          125164

I can't raise the bucket or the backblade, so even thought the garage is just a few feet away, I can't get in in! ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Billy

2006-02-26          125165

Is the PTO disengaged? Transmission in neutral? Check all the simple stuff first. Those safety switches stick sometimes. Wiggle everything that has a safety switch on it, while you turn the key. ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver

2006-02-26          125168

I've wiggled everything and nothing seems to help. When I hooked the jumper cables up to the Suburban, there was nothing -- turn the key and there is just a single click. The engine does not turn over at all. ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-26          125183

Do the lights work? If not you might start by cleaning cables. How many hours? ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Billy

2006-02-26          125185

Check your battery cables to make sure they are getting a good connection. Not just at the battery end either. ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
scott

2006-02-26          125190

try grabing tire lugs and move or rock the tractor an inch or so then try starting ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver

2006-02-27          125211

The last time I used the tractor the lights did not work -- I attibuted to something my kids or nephew did (they are 2, 3, and 4) when they were playing on it -- pulled a wire or something.

The tractor has 111 hours. I will try cleaning the cables when I get home from work today. ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
rlsmith

2006-02-27          125245

May want to check the key switch also. Had a tractor that needed to have cleaner sprayed into it because the contacts got fowled. Had no lights and nothing to the starter. Dead Dead ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-27          125248

I'd also look at all wire connections that might have been where they might have grabbed or might have tried to pull on them. We often find while people are trying to override safety switches for their easier operation that they pull the wires loose from their connection so they stop all functions. This may not be what is wrong but it's worth a try. ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
orangetoy

2006-03-01          125339

Try putting a volt meter on and checking battery voltage and how much it drops when you turn the key to the start position, it will indicate if the starter is drawing voltage from the battery or not. This will indicate if it is a bad starter or battery as opposed to a key switch or safety switch problem. A fully charged battery is 13.8 volts DC. ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-03-02          125385

Well, lets try the obvious....

We are depressing the clutch all the way, right?
We don't have the pto lever engaged, right?

At 111 hours, I would tend to think the cables would not be corroded so severely that they would not allow a start function - maybe 1111 hours, but not 111, even in adverse conditions.

It is fairly easy to bypass or trace safety switches in the field. As you pointed out, the kids were playing on it. If they were bouncing around on the seat for example, perhaps the safety switch wires below the seat detached or broke, or the pto switch wiring, just a for instance. Here one can take a small piece of insulated wire and bypass switch by disconnecting the wires and jumping them together (bypassing).

Similarly, the safety on the pto and clutch can be traced out and checked. Little hands are like magnets to levers and buttons. Make sure the pto lever is not engaged in any capacity. If it is, the switch is enabled and forbidding the start circuit to be completed.

Question: When you turn your key ON, does your dash or "easy checker" illuminate? And if so, what comes on? If your battery indicator comes on, your charging system is not functioning properly - even though your lights may be working. remember it takes a lot more to turn over the engine than to energize the light circuits.

With your clutch switch, press it down all the way, and snap it back by releasing it quickly. This may allow any debris or corroison or ice to jar itself loose.

Looking at the wiring diagram, there really is not a lot in the starting circuit, short of the elements mentioned of the safety switches.

-Willie H ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver

2006-03-02          125415

When I turn the key, I can get the glow plug light to come on but nothing else on the dash. The hazards works, but the headlights and turn signals do not. I have jiggled and played with the clutch, PTO and foot pedal, all to no avail. I have disconnected and reconnected the safety switch on the seat, and pulled and checked every fuse I can find. Finally, I tried jumping it twice -- again, no luck.

I borrowed a battery tester today and will put that on and see if the battery tests okay. Hopefully that will shed some light on the problem.

With both the bucket and backblade down, I cannot move the tractor so hauling it to the dealer is not an option.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas -- they are all appreciated! ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-03-02          125417

Oliver -
Thanks for the dash info. Seeing that it is stored outside, it is starting to sound like some mice nested or chewed the wiring from the switch. Believe it or not, the plasticisers in the plastic insulation, are a natural attraction to mice! This is why, so many times trailers that sit awhile without being moved, end up with chewed off insulation and usually shorted to the frames. Statistics show, that mice will move in after an unmoved 24 hour period. (I do not know that personally, as I have not set a camera to watch)However, they do chew alot - YUM YUM.
The fact that the glow starts, etc., but she doesn't wish to turn over, would point me to either the switch (starter) being moisture gummed/corroded, or the wiring leading to have been chewed apart, leaving some circuits active and some not.
Email me if you would like for some circuit diagrams and the like.
- Willie H

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-03-02          125418

Oliver -

Just thought of what you could do to move the tractor. Take a small jack with you and jack up the loader frame from the back , behind the bucket. Once raised to a comfortable height, cut a piece of 2x4 to length and prop between bucket frame and stationary frame on tractor.

OK the nose is off the ground, now to the blade. Either disconnect it if you can, or with your ROPS set in the upright position and locked, take a 2 inch strap with ratchet and loop it around ROPS at the top and around a lifting point of the blade assembly, and crank up on the ratchet. Once lifted, your orange is ready to be moved.

- Willie H ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver

2006-03-10          125928

So, it was a blown fuse after all! I had pulled and looked at all the fuses a number of times but never put a tester on anything but the battery. Turns out the 10 amp fuse that controls the instrument panel and headlights was corroded -- it looked intact but it did not work. Yes, I feel kind of stupid...

On the plus side, I now know someone who will come to my house and work on my tractor for much less than any of the dealers, and he did not charge me for the fuse call!

Supposed to be 60 and sunny tomorrow -- I am looking forward to getting some seat time! ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-03-11          125942

Oliver -
Good News indeed! Glad you were able to find the problem.
Nine times out of ten, when there is something that is really not making any sense, it will end up being something pretty simple in nature.
Most if not all, have been in your shoes one time or another...
...the question that I have now, is what was the reason that the fuse blew?
(I know, it is another discussion for another day - especially when it now is RUNNING !)
Good lick with it -

- Willie H ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
oltexasboy

2006-03-11          125944

I am a mechanic for a living and what you need is to go spend $10.00 on a good test light.Get some one to turn the key to the start position while you check the starter solenoid for power. There are at least 7 different things that will stop your tractor from turning over, one is low voltage in the battery.If you are not getting power to the starter then start looking to the fuses , connections, seat switch , nuetral safety switch ,etc. Most of these switches can be jumped for test purposes, but BE VERY careful that your tractor is out of gear and also put it in nuetral range position if possiblebrfore trying this , You wouldn't be the first person to run over themselves trying to start a tractor the wrong way. ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos
Oliver

2006-03-11          125945

I am obviously not a mechanic, but am pleased with myself in that my first guess as to what was wrong was a fuse. I learned that blown fuses are not always obvious -- and I agree, a tester would have put me back on the tractor weeks ago!

The guy who fixed it (at no charge!) isa coming back later today to do the 100 hour service -- this I can do myself, but I figure to maintain a good relationship with a mechanic who will make a house call is worth the money it will cost to do the service (which is a fraction of what a dealer will charge!). When he comes back I will pick his brain as to what caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

Thanks again, all -- the tips from this one question alone was worth the $20 membership fee! ....

7510 won t turn over

View my Photos

2006-03-16          126202

Oliver
I was going to suggest checking all your wiring for possible
mice or other animal byproducts etc. (It happened to me!)It blew out my voltage regulator on my B-2400. I carry 2 each of every fuse "with" the tractor, plus I carry an extra voltage regulator (it takes one wrench and less than 5 minutes to change). Things you learn over the years. Had the mice or little red squirrels do the same thing to one of my four wheelers, while sitting in the garage one winter. Now I use alot of moth balls when storing and have not had a problem.
doc ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login