Go Bottom Go Bottom

buying first tractor

View my Photos
Aldo D
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-07          124209

Please help with tractor advice.

We are moving to 12 acres in Goochland, VA. I am considering buying a TLB. I will need to do some clearing, grading, etc. The L39 & L48 look interesting. I previously rented an L35; it seemed too small. Am also considering JD 110 TLB, Mahindra, and New Holland.

What else should i be considering? What is a reasonable budget? New or used? I am somewhat mechanically skilled but would rather spend the time with my 5 young children & wife.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

buying first tractor

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-08          124219

Do you plan any grass or brush cutting? ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-08          124221

You may want to take a look at the Kioti LK3054XS TLB. I am thinking this may be too small for you if the Kubota was but if budget is a prime concern, these are great little machines for the dollar spent.

If you could fill out a bit more detail with respect to what exactly your task list is, we could be of more help. ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
AldoDi

2006-02-08          124223

no brush cutting initially, but more than likely in the future

my immediate needs are for claring (grubbing is what i have been reading about), moving ~ 150 yds of soil, grading an 800' driveway and misc maintence

i was thinking of grinding up some of the smaller cleared materials to spread the grindings (mulch) on a sloped area behind the house - the hills are presenting challenges with soil retention and drainage ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
AldoDi

2006-02-08          124224

I previously rented a Kubota L35 to spread mulch. It was an impressive machine but seemed to small, especially for what i am planning to do;

1. clear up to 1/2 acre of mostly small pines
2. transfer up to 200 yds of dirt to an area behind the house (need to rent dump truck to move the dirt ~ 100 yds from cleared area to slope behind house)
3. fine grade current 800' construction driveway so that my car can actually get to the house - however i am thinking of selling the car to pay for the tractor purchase
4. grind (mulch) small cleared trees and fallen trees from woods to cover slope behind house (i really like using 6" of mulch as ground cover instead of grass, i mulched my current 1/2 acre backyard in the house we are selling. my neighbors and friends thought i was nuts now they are doing it themselves)
5. future ability to bush hog, clear for construction, dig footings (i grew-up in a construction family) and do general property maintence would be anticipated ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124227

What are your purchase budget constraints? Target price? ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
AldoDi

2006-02-08          124235

Many thanks for sharing your experience(s) - i really appreciate hearing from users/owners, etc

Tractor buyers seem even more impassioned than truck buyers - it's great on one hand and confusing on the other, hopefully i'll get my bearings and with the help of willing advisors make a great purchase!

$25k or less is where i am at presently

however, i'm trying to keep an open mind about getting the right piece of equipment and will be in large part driven by the value in the purchase

from what i have been reading a root rake with brush gripper might be a good attachment to have for the FEL that seems to be ~$2k

i read one board where a prospective TLB buyer came full circle and is now planning to buy a CUT with an FEL and BH attachments. it seems the CUT route gives a better value and more versitile machine (as long as the backhoe attachment is not the primary use for the machine) ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-08          124236

If time is critical which it often is when kids and family are involved what you need is a larger machine to do the clearing fast, but then it means you lose the versatility to maintain later. I'd recommend the L-48 which is the largest machine available in it's class if cost is no object for one machine. Second if possible buy a larger machine and get the work done faster yet and just replace it with something to maintain the work you've accomplished with something that would fit your day to day chores. ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
AldoDi

2006-02-08          124240

I have considered hiring out the immediate needs (clear up to 1/2 acre, move up to 200 cu yds, grade 800' drive). The best price i have received is $10k plus the gravel cost at ~ $275 load.

The $10k bid itself made me think buying a TLB sooner than later would be fruitful. Getting the right machine is definitely important. I think the L48 is out of my current budget and would leave me feeling like i bought a machine that is bigger than my long term needs require.

I am thinking something similar to a Kubota L39 or JD 110 would be the right size. I should be able to reasonably handle my immediate needs and have a machine well suited to my future needs.

A big question that i have is what are the alternative CUT with FEL & BH optons that i should be considering. I am still under the impression that this is a more economic and somewhat more flexible/better route. Any general & specific comments would be greatly appreciated. Does anybody have a particular package i should be looking at? Does anybody have have a bad CUT w/FEL & BH experience that indicates i should go TLB? It seems the TLB's get a premium price, perhapse for convenience and poduct uniqueness. The TLB market seems less competitive than the CUT, FEL & BH market(s). ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-08          124246

I think I'd shoot for an L-3400 hydro to center on. It no where is as big as the L-35 on hydraulics or structure but can be close to budget covering some of the extra toys for your projects. The limit you've set is used and limiting extras. ....

buying first tractor

View my Photos
daveinnh

2006-02-08          124247

We had a landclearing firm clear and chip white pine trees on a 7 acre portion of our property in central NH a few years ago at a wash - the white pine saw logs & chips(mostly moderate quality) paid for that. We paid the same co. to stump and chip the roots. A contractor / neighbor / friend spread the root chip piles w/ a Cat D-4 dozer and Kubota L3010 tractor. We had Agway spread a lime / fertilizer blend and then our neighbor broadcast spread seed onto the soil/ chips. The above operation took 2 seasons (i.e. - it wasn't quick).

Your standing timber may be worthwhile to companies who work for developers (vs. loggers just out for quality sawlogs and nothing else). Having worked in VA in the past, paper mills may need even chips for pulp that may help offset development costs.

I think your asking a lot of a ~40-50HP compact to mid-size tractor. You'd be better off paying to have the work done or buying a small used excavator to perform the tasks you have in mind, assuming that you wish to commit the time & effort, IMHO. Be sure to have a friend or diesel mechanic review the machine before purchase - undercarriage condition is all-important.

BTW, we have a (used) Kubota L4310 and it works well w/ a landscape rake to fine grade, bucket to move stockpiles, bush-hog to mow pasture, forks to unload small loads, and move snow (using rear scraper blade). I have read many threads here and value input from the posters - esp. Art & Murf.

Good luck,
daveinnh

buying first tractor

View my Photos
AldoDi

2006-02-08          124250

I'll stop by the local saw mill to ask about clearing options. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login