Go Bottom Go Bottom

First time tractor buyer - Kubota vs John Deere

View my Photos
Sonny
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-06          124147

Hello everyone. This is my first time to this site. I hope I can gain some insight and recommendations about a first time tractor buyer.

Im currently looking into buying either a Kubota or John Deere. I would like something that can handle a minimum of 1 acre to about 10/15 acres. The research I have done so far kinda puts me at the JD 790 or 990 and the Kubota L2800. Budget is a big factor to me and I realize that tractors and implements can get rather costly. I would just like something that can handle the usual work one would do around open fields or some wooded areas, excluding excavating and non farm related uses. I guess this tractor would fall under the catagory of weekend worrier.

I've notice that there are an abundance of features. I would appreciate any advice or personal thoughts about these model tractors.

Also, what is the difference between the B and L series Kubota tractors.
If any other information is needed, please let me know.
I didn't realize tractor buying is like truck buying.

Thanks in advance.

Sonny

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-06          124148

The B-series is a smaller chassis then the L-series. By being smaller also means lighter and more manuverable but also not able to carry the load of the L-series hitch or loader. I'd recommend the larger B-series like the B-7800 if money is a problem. It still takes all the mid mount attachments like mowers and snow blowers and the BH-75 backhoe if needed offers the strongest frame work of all with the highest ground clearance. For the acre of ground I'd say a BX is too much but the extra acreage says the larger tractor might be needed depending on the chores list and the time you want to spend doing the jobs you have to do. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-06          124151

I'm more familiar with JD machines. The 790/990 are good solid machines. The biggest drawback is the dry brakes on them but you can go years without trouble with them. Older and simpler technology, no frills like flat operator platform or hydro transmissions. If you're a big guy the seating might be a bit cramped. I think a first-rate dealer is more important than the brand. ....

View my Photos
tsterkel

2006-02-07          124162

You are "really" asking which Japanese tractor to buy. A Yanmar (remarketed as JD) or Kubota. With that hint, you can cut $2000 to $10000 off the price. Another hint is to go grey market. I have been pleased with RCO Tractors, advertisers here and elsewhere.

cheers! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-02-07          124163

You had best go sit on them too.

I personally do not fit on certain tractors, like the 790. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-07          124164

I am VERY Pleased with my JD 4115 and I have had a JD 140, 212, 400, and now the 4115. The 400 I bought USED in 1981 and I have beaten the Livin BeJesus out of it for 25 years and it is still working. The work I have done with my 4115 is Unachieveable for Kubota or New Holland and is what I expect for JD.
I bought
New
JD 4115 with R4 tires and loaded
JD 46 Back Hoe
JD FEL
JD 48" Rear Tiller
Frontier Rear Blade
Folding ROPS

$24500
I Buy JD for the same reason I buy DODGE to work and not to look at. They BOTH have delivered for me for many years. I would go Green any day.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-07          124165

I don't think a gray market tractor is a good idea for a first time owner. Support, repair, parts availability and safety (absence of ROPS) are reasons that come to mind. If you go gray market be sure to get a ROPS with it. ....

View my Photos
tsterkel

2006-02-07          124166

Agreed on the ROPS. I did not buy my Grey Market until I knew that a ROPS was available. I got it from Kubota. And installed it myself. It took too long because I "knew" how to put it together and did not follow the direction.

Just had to get the "North American" model number xref from the Grey Vendor. (BTW, if the Grey Vendor cannot, with certainty, tell you the NA model number equivalent, that is a signal to not deal with them.) ....

View my Photos
tsterkel

2006-02-07          124167

One comment, ROPS is a bit of a straw man argument. NO TRACTORS of the age of most Grey Markets had ROPs.

I would buy NO tractor WITHOUT ROPS, or a clear method of purchasing a ROPs. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-07          124169

"The work I have done with my 4115 is Unachieveable for Kubota or New Holland..."

Wiper, this must be one special tractor. What can it do fly?
Dave ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-02-07          124171

I am wondering what the 4115 does that others don't and I have owned only Deere in the smaller tractors.

Personally I like the NH TC30 as a value tractor. The 790 is a little hard to get on and off of even if you are a small frame. If you are moving something like pine needles or rocks you will find it tiring. The flat deck is definately worth the money. With 10-15 acres I would recommend at least 25 Hp PTO so you can easily run larger equipment.

I also would not hesitate to look at a Kioti CK-30 if the price is right. Not everyone has a local dealer though. I am not sure how much you would save over the B7800. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-07          124180

Could it? Where do I glue the feathers?
My friend has a Kubota or Had, he traded for a JD, his BH was a 3 pt hitch and didn't have the Ba--s to ability to do what my JD 46 BH has done with its Under frame support and seperate pump for the steering and seperate for the implements. I have moved rocks that I would have laid money no Compact utility could have moved. The JD 4115 has performed remarkablely. My neighbor, just up the road has a bigger New Holland and even though it has better ratings, I was able to use my FEL and pickup off the ground and then move a boulder his was not able to do, just seconds after he tried. His New Holland also doesn't have seperate break pedals on the left and a seperate forward and reverse on the right, ahhhhhh! JD does and what a breeze to drive.
Nope! it don't fly yet, but I have worked side by side that Larger New Holland and I firmly beleive that JD beats it hands down. As far as Kabota, well it is the little differences that make the BIG difference and my buddy got tired of me telling him "My JD can do it" and he went and traded in that 3 year old Orange for a new 4120 and loves it and now we have a chorus going, "JD Can do it"

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-07          124198

Don't really know which three year old Kubota your friend had but the bulk of Kubota backhoes today are a four point subframe on the tractor not below the tractor reducing the ground clearance or hindering midmount attachments. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-08          124211

I don't know which model it was either, it was about the same size as the 4115 and it was at least trhee years ago he purchased it and maybe even four. The BH hole wasn't very stable and took two of us a bit of fandangling to remove it and was never there when he attached it. I was with him many times when we tried to clear the land for his New home and that BH had NO Ba--s and the JD 46 BH with no doubt in my mind out performs, the long belly mounted subframe adds rigidness to the BH and stability. The Stabilizers are powerful and work better than Kabota. I have several times taken the BH off in less than 5 minutes, alone and using only a hammer. I have installed in back on in less time and with NO tools. I like the operating station better and it just looks to be far better built. I have done some amazing work with it.
Who would want Mid Mount attachments on when the BH is mounted? I did not buy a MM MOwer for I have a JD 212 and I cut the grass with that, if I were to get a mower for the 4115 it would be a 3 pt hitch mounted one. So that isn't really an arguement, what other Mid mounted hardware would you be refering to?
I have taken my FEL off in less than 3 minutes, no tools and alone, and have put it back on alone in equal time.
The JD is easy to operate and has plenty of room and it has the reputation that the others do NOT. With that reputation, I work it and I don't worry about it.
I think JD has thought of everything and when I drive mine and the fwd and reverse for the hydro is at my right foot and my seperate brake pedals are on the left and able tobe functioned at the SAME time as the fwd and reverse, I feel it is those little differences that will keep JD out performing its competion and now that tey have smarten up with their pricing, what else is thehere to talk about?
GREEN GREEN GREEN the only way to FLY.

View my Photos
grinder

2006-02-08          124212

Blue,Green,Orange there all fine for joe homeowner. As someone mentioned a quality dealer is more important.
Personally in three years I have never needed a repair.
I found that all the JD dealers I have talked to are
pretty cocky , I went with Kubota
for the price difference.
Good luck, choose your tires that will suit your needs,
go hydro! ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-08          124216

Well you are right that a quality Dealer is important but the product is even MORE important, when the warrant runs out, Joe Homeowner wants a product that is Reliable and will continue to do the job and without costly Quality Dealer repairs. That ole 400 I have has done the job of tractors many times its size and has done it with very little maintenance for almost 25 years.
JD Pricing is very much in line with Kabota and New Holland and when I compared what I got for my money and what my neighbor got with Holland, I feel JD was even ahead and less expensive. I am happy and I would recommend JD any time and that really is the point here, not a pissing contest but rather people opinions and I tried to give a Honest opinion and the reasons behind my opinion.
In all fairness, to each their own and I prefer to Fly with JD.
I am just a 10 1/2 acre Joe Homeowner with Gardens, Rocks, Boulders, a long driveway and mountain maintenance. I am surrounded by National Forest and need to go a ways for my Firewood but all jobs are done wel with MY JD.
I am sure there are those who will argue for Holland and Kubota, let them present their cases. Right on, Heavy Duty, Rightous, Far out and power to the people....... ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-08          124218

We are all glad that you are so pleased with your tractor but before we say one is better then the other we should be checking to see that they are comparable in size and built equal for a job. I'm also glad that you've been happy with the repair work that has needed to be done by your dealer and deere to keep your tractor going for two hundred hours use. We all have different values and goals in life I personnally like to know who I buy from, but I'm a little different then some as I'd rather make a good purchase of quality products so I don't need to be in constant contact with the dealer other then to enhance my knowledge of proper operation if needed. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-08          124225

Do I sense sarcasism in your writing? hmmm, I have had NO REPAIRS on my tractor in any of the 200 hrs, I had a NEW Release Valve put into the BH, cuz the main boom dropped too fast, that valve was hired out to a different manufacturer and JD addressed the complaint and fixed it. NO other repairs have been done, Zero. only my 50 hr break in and a shim on the FEL. The shim was installed right after delivery.
I shopped pretty heavy because money was an issue and I looked very hard at my buddies Kabota, I examine the neatness and excellent welding of the Frame, FEL etc etc, I looked at how neat the Hydralic lines were laid out and I tried to examine it with an eye that would visualize it in the enviroment it was going to be in. Then I went back to JD and I ran comparisons at the JD web site, and the Holland and Kabota sites. I called the JD dealer that I had done very little business with, on account the one I had done business with for 25 years, the guy retired and the Franchised went Commerical only. They gave me a price that I quoted earlier and it was their first offer, it was $500 below what I was prepared to accept, I was happy and I got the reputation and the color I wanted for $500 less than the Kabota EQ. I had come here and asked questions and got my idea of what to pay etc. I had another website as well that I frequented. There is a very large Holland Dealership very near and I had already looked at my neighbors and didn't like the layout either did I like the fact that it din't offer seperate pedals on bothe sides for easy use.
So really Art, I am Happy you are Happy that I am Happy. Do you feel kinda bad about your decision and is that why I sense a little Hostility in your reply? I have NO REGRETS in my decision and or purchase and my ONLY Complaint was the Valve and JD addressed it. That leaves me with ZERO Complaints.... Next subject.
Besides JD was from Vermont and needed to keep the loyalty with a fellow GMB...... I never had much luck with Ford, once I got rid of my 66 Mustang I never had another good Ford, why would tractors be any different? Kabota? I was ready to give them a fair shot, but they came up behind JD. So are we still Happy? yup!
I am not angry at anyone and I am not trying to type mean Spirited posts, but If I am wrong and I only felt I felt hostility, I apologize if NOT, LONG LIVE JOHN DEERE and FLY the Friendly skies with John Deere....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124226

There are a lot of good tractors out there. My thinking would be to look at some used machines first and get an idea of the price gap between new and used in your area. Sometimes it is not as much as you think in a high demand market. A good quality used tractor in the 35 to 55 hp range would meet your needs well.

If your mind is set on one of the machines you originally mentioned; my choice would be the John Deere 990 hands down. It is a VERY basic and bullet proof reliable machine that will last you your life time and probably your children's too. For around $14,500 to $15,000 that is a great value for a 40 horse (35 pto hp) 4WD tractor. Bare in mind that tasks such as box blading and FEL work can be done but not as nicely and easily as with a reverser or hydro, but for most other tasks such as rotary cutting and running other small pto equipment, the 990 will do just as well.

I own a John Deere 4410 which has been a fantastic machine but all of the electric switches, bells and whistles give me cause to wonder how this machine will be in say 10 year or more from now. For future farm tasks such as brush hogging and pulling trees out and other tasks for a larger tractor and basic farm tasks, I am keeping my eye out for an International 1086 or similar machine. Granted you won't need a tractor of this size and hp, but the concept of a good quality, simple, basic, and RELIABLE design machine is what counts in my opinion. The Deere 990 is built like they used to build tractor here in the USA 30 and 40 years ago. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-08          124228

Wiper,
I haven’t seen any hostility here. It’s great that you’re happy with your John Deere. That is the type of statement that actually helps the original poster Sonny. But thoroughly mixed into your responses are statements that are simply silly. What one tractor will do is in fact achievable with equivalent equipment. There is absolutely no comparison between a sub-frame mount backhoe and a 3PT mount, for any manufacturer. I have a three point mount for my Kubota but there is no way anyone would expect it to do the work that could be done with a sub-frame mounted BH.

You know, I have the feeling that you could be a good contributor to TP when you get a little more experience.
Dave

View my Photos
tractornewbie

2006-02-08          124231

Art,

If you think BX is too much for 1 acre, what do you suggest for that size property?

What is smaller than a BX?

Thanks,

DT.

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-02-08          124233

For those of us who are mechanically challenged, a good mechanic is just as good as a good dealer. It took 5 trips to my JD dealership to fix a simple problem with my lawn tractor. So IMHO, for comparable products, service considerations should be the top priority. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-02-08          124234

If they are silly, they are meant to be silly. If you see a statement that I have made that was NOT meant to be silly and you deem is, I would like for you to give me the example. I am a FIRM believer that I do not believe some one merely for the fact that they say "it is" I want to know why it is and I have offered my opinion and as I said I gave reasons why my opinion was what it was.
I am very much aware there is NO comparision between a sub frame BH and a 3-pt hitch mounted BH. When I started to look at Kabota and the models I was interested in, that is what was shown and offered. I based my decsion on what I found to be the Offered difference by JD and that was the sub frame mount. I thought I had made that pretty clear. Maybe I am not the only one who may be misreading someone's posting. As far as what somebody may expect from a 3-pt Bh, well I have been in retail damn near my entire life. You would be amazed at what people expect. I sell Trucks and I could tell you stories about people and their wonderful ignorance that would make you laugh your butt off.
I made MY purchase based on friends and their experince and my experience with them, this web site, JD reputation, Ford reputation, and the popularity of Kabota and why Kabota was being popular. I had owned three JDs prior to the 4115 and the 400 was the testifier. I did all of my own work on it after about the 14th year.
Wow! here I am trying to qualify myself to somebody about why I made a decision. I made my points clear, or at least I thought I had. Guess when some one asks for an opinion, only certain people are allowed to answer. whoops!
The reason why I even brought up the BH was that JD had just come out with it the model year prior and I had read alot of what DRankin had been posting over the last two years about it. So when talking about a tractor the size of the 4115, I really don't believe anyone else has an equivialnt in that size and isn't that what Sonny was talkin about He referred to 10/15 acres and not a 100 and I use the 4115 on 10.5. Now if you want to talk about the Utility tractors versus the Compact Utility well now I wouldn't even offer a reply, I own the Largest Compact Utility JD made and I was offering info on that premise.... silly me. Tractor for tractor, I stand by my claim, JD has it hands down.... ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-08          124237

For the size of property if under an acre it gets to be a tough call. The BX would handle far more and give a lot of additional options for different jobs. I like to recommend the largest deck and smallest tractor for manuverability and the ability to save the new cosmetics from tree limbs and such from trimming. After many people get thru remaking their property they don't need all the attachments and economically for a couple of weekends with a rental unit might be able to get by with a garden tractor. It really does depend on the individual. One thing that I wanted to add in here, under no circumstances would I recommend a garden tractor with a hoe and loader to a Bx size tractor. The real value here is going to be the Sub-compact tractor for the money. ....

View my Photos
jpostup

2006-02-23          125034

Wow! Some emoitionally charged opinions above on this string.
Features abound, you have some work to select which model would work for you. I found no single tractor does all jobs. That's why there are so many choices.
I bought a B2910HST and love it, manueverable, reliable, affordable, and versatile once you get some buddies to develop a pool of implements to share.

In New England, I found the pre-owned sales prices of Kubota 10-15% lower than the John Deere. I came to the conclusion JD sells at a premium, due to owner perception. When in fact JD is a Yanmar drive train. No more JD of Illinois USA that is, why pay for the green paint.
Plus I found (In New England) the resale market of Kubota stronger.
This was important to me as I suspected I would one day grow beyond the 2901 and want to upgrade.
Turns out I just rent large excavators when I need tough digging and try to never abuse the Kubota. Plus with my son driving, we get 2 machines working on job day and get a lot done.
jeff

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-23          125036

Best brand debates usually end up emotionally charged and short on facts. Facts are sometimes hard to come by so marketing spin and anecdotal evidence is often substituted. What it comes down to is any tractor is better than no tractor and different regions seem to have different favorites. In our area I see mostly green, then blue, then orange. That is likely because the orange dealer here really stinks and the green and blue guys are top notch. If the dealer situation were flipped I'd be driving a different color. ....

View my Photos
jpostup

2006-02-23          125037

10-4 to that perspective Kwschumm!
I have to emphasize and agree with your earlier points on not choosing a grey market machine. No prior personal experience, perhaps I don't have any faith if the color is not green or blue or orange.

JP ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-24          125049

Sonny,

You have already found some here think as much of their tractor as their first born.

I have two Kubota's a B and a M. I have a friend with JD another with NH (there is no Ford). No doubt we each are happy.

The first tractor I even purchased the salesman got under my skin when he pushed me on what I wanted to do. He would only talk very general about tractor until he got details on my needs. Then he worked back to the tractor. Was one of the most professional sales people I have ever known and I am in sales. Start with you wants and needs and let the equipment direct you. Regardless of the tractor you wll not like it if it will not handle the equipment you end up needing.

Wish you well.
kt

View my Photos
lawnking

2006-02-24          125061

I think JD & kubota are both top knotch tractors. Here (massachusetts) JD are way more expensive than kubotas, always have been! For us, weight is the big issue. We work on pristine grass all day long, kubota gives us all the power(pto,drawbar,3pt,fel) we require with a lightweight footprint. IMHO kubota has better hydrostatic trannys, if ploughing fields was my main gig, i would be running a gear tranny JD! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-02-24          125067

Years ago I worked on outboards. The main three were Johnson, Evinrude and Mercury. Chryler was a distant fourth. The only real difference between Evinrude and Johnson parts was the paint. They were built in the same plants at the same time. I would have customers telling me that one was much better. Some you could never convince. As we were a OMC, Seagull and Volvo Penta dealer in a small area. We were one of the only games in town. We worked on them all. If pushed I would recommend only certain outboards in either the Mercury or OMC range due to the frequency and severity of repairs.
* If you are looking for a new tractor, first determine what your needs are as Mr. Thompson advises.
* Determine which tractors best fit your needs and look at those.
* Talk to the mechanics and service people and determine whether it has been a good tractor. This is difficult with new models but most are carry parts (engines, transmissions or differentials) from older versions.
* Determine which dealer is going to provide you the best service. Ask around.
* Determine which will give you the best value for the money.
* Weight the factors and determine which is the best for you. This takes some work and there are no real short cuts. I have a 1960 MF which is just now needing some refreshing, if you choose right you can live with it a while.

The key for me is just because green, red, orange, blue or yellow paint is good in one size does not mean it is good for you in another size. That can be their one problem tractor (child)in their range. ....

View my Photos
BenEAmonette

2006-02-24          125069

My hat goes off to those who have kept this discussion calm. The opportunity was definitely here for it to have taken an ugly turn, as I have seen too often on other boards (and as a result, I seldom visit them any longer). "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." The best way that you can make your brand look good is to be informative in a non-confrontational manner. This causes readers to be more likely to value your opinion. ....

View my Photos
rlsmith

2006-02-24          125076

Sonny, I live on and work 20 acres. Own a 15 year old JD322 with blower, tiller, leaf vac and belly mower and had has just over 500hrs, and a 2 year old in May with over 400 hours BX23 with a 60" belly mower. I looked and compaired and price was a biggie for me. This little BX has performed better then I had ever expected and has saved me $ and physical problems like with my back. What I needed was a unit that would help me in the woods, groom the yard keep the stone drive level, clean up the ditch, dig drainage ditches, dig up stumps a (few that were 16 to 20" rnd) & move snow. Not saying that JD would not do the same it was just that this was the size and $ unit for me. Review everything that you will want to do in the short and long term and then get the unit that will give you the most bang for buck. I really bothered me last year when the tractors just sit in the barn doing nothing. This sight also was very helpfull to me on deciding the unit to buy. Good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login