Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-02          123955

I need to start a little brain storming.

I'm looking at trading off the BX2230 for a larger tractor. I'd love a 3030 with cab, but, well $$$. Does anyone have any thoughts on the merits of the B7800 verses the B3030/2630? What about the L's?

I'd like to stay with Kubota, (been good to me) but if there is something else in the 30 hp range that is not a grey or Chinese, I would look too.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
RRagent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-02          123959

I traded from B7800 to L3130, Really like the 3130, Watch your implements, they are gonna be small for the 7800 and
3130. ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
MisterMike

2006-02-02          123962

From your pictures it looks like your present equipment is a good match to your property but I get the impression you want a backhoe!! I finally have one and I have more fun digging holes than I would have imagined. If you are going to dig out stumps then the L Series is the way to go. If not, then the B Series tractor would do the trick. There seems to be a good supply of used B Series units here in New England. The dealers tell me they were trade-ins for new L Series. A used Kubota is a better bet that a new Chinese knock-off. Good luck. ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
Johnny1

2006-02-02          123980

If I were deciding between a 7800, 2630, or 3030 I would probably take the 3030. It would be the most expensive, but with all the features--four cylinder engine, hydraulic PTO, and position control--I think it would be worth it. Unless you really needed a larger tractor, why don't you just get a backhoe for yours? ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-03          123988

My property has grown from one acre to 76 acres. It takes all afternoon to just cross it with the BX! ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-03          123991

AV8R,
I'm not that familiar with the B3030 or any of the B series but from the weight it looks like it must also be made from aluminum castings. I have a similar amount of acreage and have found the L3130 to work well for me. It's about 1400 lbs heavier than the B3030 but I don't consider it to be a really heavy tractor. I'm just thinking that you might someday also appreciate the heavier tractor for any kind of general pulling or FEL work. Weight of course would work against you if you need it for mowing lawns and such. Have fun shopping.
Dave ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-02-03          123992

Yes, lawn work will be a task of the "new" unit.

I doubt that a BH will be in the cards, though. Too much money for too little use. I can rent a rubber tracked 'hoe for many, many hours befor the BH75 (or similar) would be paid for. ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
Murf

2006-02-03          123994

As anyone who has owned more than one boat or tractor will tell you (with me at the top of that list), no matter how big you think is enough, it will be too small before you know it.

The list of things that get done by tractor grows continually, and seemingly faster also, the larger the property you're looking after is.

Bigger property means bigger tasks, and more of them.

Simple things like grading a driveway suddenly go from being an hours job to a full days work, grass cutting is a 3 step job, bush-hog the wooly stuff, cut the bulk of the lawn, then trim the small stuff, edges, and around ponds, banks, and trees. The list never ends.

My strong suggestion to you would be to seriously think about stepping up to being a 2 tractor family. Get a big, 50+ hp, used loader tractor for the serious stuff, and keep the little 'Bota for the light stuff. You could probably get a second tractor for nearly what the trade up will cost anyways.

Best of luck. ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-02-03          123999

Trade in is a joke, admittedly by the dealer. $9k for BX w/FEL, MMM, Bagger, BoxBlade, and snowblower. I can sell out for $12.5K easily in this neighborhood. That makes a $4k upgrade to the B7800 w/FEL and MMM (quoted at $16.5k).

Murf, do you think a 50hp with FEL is available in the $4000 range? Seriously? I'd love to do that, but I don't know if I can find one (regardless of age, hours or color). ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
Murf

2006-02-03          124003

I was thinking more along the lines of $6-8k, but you would get a tractor for the $4k, probably not with a FEL, but if you poke around your area you might be surprised.

This size of tractor is a "utility tractor" to a farmer, they typically don't get a zillion hours of use since they are not primary tillage machines.

Oh, and don't hold out for 4wd either, big tractors have big tires, and unless you get into some first class muck, you will be amazed at the traction of a big 2wd tractor.

Best of luck. ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-03          124007

If I might add to Murf's thoughts on the utility size farm tractor. If you live near a larger population area look into a more rural area for that tractor. Those prices can vary a lot in just a few miles.

Also to Murf's comments, I don't handle as many acres but the second tractor is a real assest.

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-03          124038

This is a big question as it more then likely might be a multiple choice answer in the long run! Let me just help you spend you money! How about an M-series with a 15' bat-wing mower this should have the cab on it and could easily be set up for snow removal with a eight or ten foot snow buncher on the front and a eight foot blower on the back. An L-48 as a comprise for loosing the hoe on the BX and you will not need to rent the track exavator! I think the lawn will be being expanded and a ZD-28 would work just fine to fine tune that gap! Have I been of any help! ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
Toolin

2006-02-04          124057

I have a B3030 with FEL and 60" MMM. I think it is a great machine and would be a nice step up from your BX2230. However, I agree with Murf in that you might be happier in the long run by keeping your fine machine and looking for a used larger tractor for the bigger jobs that you will do occasionally. I also agree that for occasional BH work you are better off to rent a rubber track mini-excavator. I have done that a few times myself and have been very pleased with the capabilities of those machines. I would look for a '50s or '60s Ford 800 series or a MF 35 or 135 with a FEL. These are very nimble and solid tractors and will have the weight and power to run 5' to 6' brush hogs, 2 or 3 bottom plows, discs, etc. that you might want to use. Another good tractor from that era is an Oliver 550. I see these models listed for sale in the $4000 to $6000 range quite frequently. Just my .02 but I think you have a great machine right now for mowing and yard work. I would keep it and get another tractor for the bigger stuff. Good luck. ....

BX for a B or maybe L

View my Photos
JOHN THOMAS

2006-02-07          124183

I had a BX2200, fel, mmm. It did the jobs but just real slow. After 100 hours I traded it in to dealer for B7800. Have never regretted the move. Looked at L series but I have 5 acres of hill side and yard. I don't do plowing of acres or farm work, I do big yard work. I have boxblade, reseader, rear finish mower and tiller with front end loader. From BX to B is another whole level up. Guess would be the same up to L if it's a farm. Again, for the money difference it was worth it to me to move up to the B7800. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login